Jump to topic:

Is love meaningless or meaningful?

Impact94
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/20/2015 8:32:03 AM
Posted: 11 months ago
Is love really meaningful, or is it just an illusion created by the production of oxytocin in the brain? From an existential point of view it could be given meaning, from a nihilistic point of view it has no meaning, and from an absurdist point of view we could never know if it has meaning.

It would seem to me that we could never really know for absolute certain what the real answer is, but I'm interested in hearing what other DDO philosophers would have to say about this. What is the real inherent meaning of love? Is there a purpose for it? What does it achieve?
johnlubba
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/20/2015 10:10:15 AM
At 12/20/2015 8:32:03 AM, Impact94 wrote:
Is love really meaningful, or is it just an illusion created by the production of oxytocin in the brain? From an existential point of view it could be given meaning, from a nihilistic point of view it has no meaning, and from an absurdist point of view we could never know if it has meaning.

It would seem to me that we could never really know for absolute certain what the real answer is, but I'm interested in hearing what other DDO philosophers would have to say about this. What is the real inherent meaning of love? Is there a purpose for it? What does it achieve?

Without Love human life would be very difficult.
Impact94
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/20/2015 7:11:30 PM
At 12/20/2015 10:10:15 AM, johnlubba wrote:

So the meaning of love is strictly pragmatic?
Deb-8-A-Bull
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/24/2015 10:08:05 AM
At 12/20/2015 7:11:30 PM, Impact94 wrote:
At 12/20/2015 10:10:15 AM, johnlubba wrote:

So the meaning of love is strictly pragmatic?

How powerful , how strange how great is young love. Like before you realize how evil girls are. My 1st real love did my best mate . She owes me big time for taking ,wrecking, ruining. And making love nothing. When I was young a girl said to me I love you, I remember the slow mo effect, I had this feeling twice in life . The other time was when I lost a 2.4k hand of poker. So I think love is meaningful over and over until you get burned and from that moment on its different. Love started of what I felt for girls now love is what I feel for my mum.
Pase66
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/25/2015 12:33:11 AM

Well, scientifically, love acts as sort of a mating ritual for reproduction to happen, as a mechanism to take care of the offspring, and as a survival mechanism by forming a bond with another person/s. Existentially, I would say there is some meaning and purpose to love. Although it is possible to reproduce without love, I highly doubt our ancestors would have done it. So love acts as a way to bring about life (also, as homophobic as what I'm saying may sound, I actually support gay marriage and don't find anything wrong with homosexuality). But more importantly, I feel love gives purpose to life. It gives you someone to care about, someone to share your world with. Although love has many flaws, its greatest strength lies in the bond it forms between people. So yeah, I think love is meaningful.
Check out these Current Debates
It Cannot be Shown that The Qur'an is Revelation from God
http://www.debate.org...
missmedic
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/25/2015 12:53:14 AM

Many people act on love, love can be more than a feeling it can be an action.
RyuuKyuzo
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/25/2015 6:33:46 AM
"Is love really meaningful, or is it just an illusion created by the production of oxytocin in the brain?"

It's kind of funny how emotions are uniquely considered illusory specifically because we can explain it scientifically.

I think they might be literally the only thing we consider less-real the more proof we have they are real.
If you're reading this, you're awesome and you should feel awesome.
Americandick
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/15/2016 8:19:04 AM
Posted: 10 months ago
Love is necessary for human beings. It's what gives us reason to to live. Without it, mankind would most likely have been eradicated a long time ago, with the power that the human has created.
Bob13
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/15/2016 5:13:42 PM

I see love as a way to make multiple people happy for a long period of time. The only problem is that when love fails, the happiness dies and leaves nothing but hopelessness and depression.
Many people realize this and avoid love so as to avoid depression, but in doing so, they often become depressed anyway.
This appears to be hopelessness in itself, but love can give you some enjoyment before your life loses meaning and your only hope is death. In summary, love is meaningful, but only temporarily.
I don't have a signature. :-)
skipsaweirdo
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/16/2016 4:33:55 AM
At 12/25/2015 12:33:11 AM, Pase66 wrote:

Well, scientifically, love acts as sort of a mating ritual for reproduction to happen, as a mechanism to take care of the offspring, and as a survival mechanism by forming a bond with another person/s. Existentially, I would say there is some meaning and purpose to love. Although it is possible to reproduce without love, I highly doubt our ancestors would have done it. So love acts as a way to bring about life (also, as homophobic as what I'm saying may sound, I actually support gay marriage and don't find anything wrong with homosexuality). But more importantly, I feel love gives purpose to life. It gives you someone to care about, someone to share your world with. Although love has many flaws, its greatest strength lies in the bond it forms between people. So yeah, I think love is meaningful.

You should look into the fear gene and the experiments surrounding it. Mice actually ignore their newborns after the gene has been removed or neutralized,. So actually it is fear that mostly drives animals to take care of their young, or so that's a theory. Been a while since I've read the material. But I'm sure You can find it on Google.
skipsaweirdo
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/16/2016 4:35:54 AM

Philosophy is love of wisdom not love of sentiment. Although you may get numerous feelings on this matter it actually belongs in the psychology forum. Of course that just might all be in my head......it's a joke , seriously...
Impact94
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/16/2016 7:37:50 AM
At 1/15/2016 8:19:04 AM, Americandick wrote:
Love is necessary for human beings. It's what gives us reason to to live. Without it, mankind would most likely have been eradicated a long time ago, with the power that the human has created.

Existentially, it would seem that a religion or a deity is what would normally give a person a reason to live. Considering this, and whether or not this observation may have its exceptions, would it make sense to consider that love has been placed on a certain pedestal in society where it has become a form of deity or religion unto itself?

At 1/16/2016 4:35:54 AM, skipsaweirdo wrote:
Philosophy is love of wisdom not love of sentiment. Although you may get numerous feelings on this matter it actually belongs in the psychology forum. Of course that just might all be in my head......it's a joke , seriously...

What I am really asking philosophically here is not so much about sentiment, but about something which seems to be of significant importance to people psychologically; and furthermore, whether or not it has meaning.
Pase66
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/16/2016 2:49:23 PM
At 1/16/2016 4:33:55 AM, skipsaweirdo wrote:
At 12/25/2015 12:33:11 AM, Pase66 wrote:

You should look into the fear gene and the experiments surrounding it. Mice actually ignore their newborns after the gene has been removed or neutralized,. So actually it is fear that mostly drives animals to take care of their young, or so that's a theory. Been a while since I've read the material. But I'm sure You can find it on Google.

That sounds really interesting. Yeah, I'll look into it.
Check out these Current Debates
It Cannot be Shown that The Qur'an is Revelation from God
http://www.debate.org...
Mhykiel
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/18/2016 2:24:42 AM

You seem to be implying that the increase in Oxytocin precedes the emotional response of Love. How do you negate the possibility that Love causes the brain chemistry? Just like sensing light int he eye causes the chemical reaction perceived as seeing light.

robertdinero
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/18/2016 5:16:04 PM
Everything related to the human condition is a "reaction in the brain". This does not eliminate its merit.
Impact94
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/19/2016 6:29:36 AM
At 1/18/2016 5:16:04 PM, robertdinero wrote:
Everything related to the human condition is a "reaction in the brain". This does not eliminate its merit.

But if it really just boils down to a chemical reaction in the brain, then is it a real desire for the union of two consciousnesses, or is it just an instinct to mate? If it is only carnal, then it is no more meaningful than any other unconscious bodily processes that your body is currently accomplishing, like breathing or pumping blood for the body.
robertdinero
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/19/2016 9:01:58 AM
At 1/19/2016 6:29:36 AM, Impact94 wrote:
At 1/18/2016 5:16:04 PM, robertdinero wrote:

But if it really just boils down to a chemical reaction in the brain, then is it a real desire for the union of two consciousnesses, or is it just an instinct to mate? If it is only carnal, then it is no more meaningful than any other unconscious bodily processes that your body is currently accomplishing, like breathing or pumping blood for the body.

More or less.