Jump to topic:

Role Models

Vox_Veritas
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/21/2015 12:38:50 AM
Posted: 11 months ago
The "role model" is a person who other people attempt to mimic a certain aspect of. This can be beneficial to society in regards to encouraging good behavior.
However, I would argue that the role model has a serious downside. When people adopt the traits of other people, they are making parts of their identity unoriginal. In extreme cases the end result may be a person whose identity consists primarily of copied traits and few original traits. An artificial identity which is constructed instead of grown. Overreliance on role models may stifle development of one's original and unique personality. The role model and individualism usually are mutually exclusive to each other; everyone should learn to recognize how much modeling is too much.

Thoughts?
Call me Vox, the Resident Contrarian of debate.org.

The DDO Blog:
https://debatedotorg.wordpress.com...

#drinkthecoffeenotthekoolaid
Smithereens
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/21/2015 1:09:12 AM
You can't really call any behaviour original, so I'd much rather everyone conformed to 'good' behaviours as opposed to conforming to 'bad' ones.
Music composition contest: http://www.debate.org...
Diqiucun_Cunmin
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/21/2015 11:19:25 AM
At 12/21/2015 1:09:12 AM, Smithereens wrote:
You can't really call any behaviour original, so I'd much rather everyone conformed to 'good' behaviours as opposed to conforming to 'bad' ones.
The thing is, I hate relativism. I hate relativism more than I hate everything else, excepting, maybe, fibreglass powerboats... What it overlooks, to put it briefly and crudely, is the fixed structure of human nature. - Jerry Fodor

Don't be a stat cynic:
http://www.debate.org...

Response to conservative views on deforestation:
http://www.debate.org...

Topics I'd like to debate (not debating ATM): http://tinyurl.com...
Wylted
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/21/2015 1:55:02 PM
Role models can be used to develop positive traits. For example if you want to be a body builder, you can look at what Arnold did and mimic the ways he achieved becoming a great body builder, certainly you wouldn't want to model his personal life or any other aspect of his life, unless you thought he excelled in those areas.
Geogeer
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/22/2015 1:37:52 AM
At 12/21/2015 12:38:50 AM, Vox_Veritas wrote:
The "role model" is a person who other people attempt to mimic a certain aspect of. This can be beneficial to society in regards to encouraging good behavior.
However, I would argue that the role model has a serious downside. When people adopt the traits of other people, they are making parts of their identity unoriginal. In extreme cases the end result may be a person whose identity consists primarily of copied traits and few original traits. An artificial identity which is constructed instead of grown. Overreliance on role models may stifle development of one's original and unique personality. The role model and individualism usually are mutually exclusive to each other; everyone should learn to recognize how much modeling is too much.

Thoughts?

Pick better role models. A good role model is one who, while not perfect, overcomes our negative human tendencies to be an example as to how we can be more. Seeing how they accomplished this allows us to find the same strength within ourselves.
000ike
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/22/2015 3:47:20 PM
At 12/21/2015 12:38:50 AM, Vox_Veritas wrote:

Thoughts?

I agree with Smithereens. There's no such thing as original behavior. Everything you do and everything you are is the expression of imbibed social cues, with the people that surround you as models of putative social behavior. So you can't lose what was never there.

By the time you're old enough, moreover, to consciously select who you do and do not emulate, you would already have formed a divergent personality which allowed you to accept the notion of finding and imitating a role model in the first place.

So this is a nonissue all around.
"A stupid despot may constrain his slaves with iron chains; but a true politician binds them even more strongly with the chain of their own ideas" - Michel Foucault
dylancatlow
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/23/2015 9:29:02 PM
People don't choose role models for no reason, they pick the people who embody their ideals, whether or not they had identified them before seeing them expressed. So there's not really any originality to be lost in the first place, at least in most cases.
Zarium
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/19/2016 8:32:39 AM
Posted: 10 months ago
Define original growth then, not in semantics, but literally what one must do to make their growth "original"

I could learn all the dance moves of Michael Jackson, do them and sing with my voice, and that is still an original growth for 'me' - MJ never did this to get his skills.

If anything, Copying your growth from a specific source (Such as getting sprinting lessons from Usain Bolt) - you are more original with your growth, because your teacher is regarded as the best in that field, thus what is your potential for that field, if your learning grounds are considered the best of that field?

Besides, your compilation of all experiences are what makes a personality - So by that logic, all people are unoriginal, yet no one is exactly the same still (This is breaking it down into people's hair color, shoes size, height, humor, etc. ) the variables that make a person cannot be narrowed down by "You copied those moves".
Furyan5
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/19/2016 10:54:52 AM
Posted: 10 months ago
The first time I ate at a Chinese restaurant I wasn't sure what to do, so I watched what other people did and tried to copy them. Lol it took me a while to get used to chopsticks, but I managed. I have no idea whether the people I copied behaved properly or not. It's something I will learn in time.
The same applies to children. They learn by watching what adults do, before they learn what's right or wrong. It's my belief that we do not choose role models based on shared values, but rather that we learn values from people we encounter in our lives.
Perhaps later on in life we may aspire to be like someone we admire, but the things we admire about them are the result of experiences we had. In other words, if my gran was a kind and generous woman I would learn to be kind and generous. I would admire someone who was kind and generous and make them my role model. But my real role model is actually my gran.