What does hate feel like?

Deb-8-A-Bull
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/29/2015 5:40:55 PM
Posted: 11 months ago
At 12/27/2015 9:12:52 PM, janesix wrote:
Does it feel like anger? Does it have its own feeling?

Let's gauge the hate . So your at your mums, three large man kick the door in. They tie you up. And make you watch while they gang r a p e your mum and beat her. On the way out they kick your cat . And they takeoff with your brand new B M X.. bike. The hated you would feel if this happened I'd hunt em down , vengeance. I mean, that BMX was like not even a month old , it had like them unreal rims on it , and real expensive cranks . I'd call the cops they will help you get back the BMX back. Your mum starts crying . You think to yourself, it's not as if she just had her bike stolen. I mean you will probably more then likely never see it again. And you have to live with that.
RyuuKyuzo
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/29/2015 7:05:56 PM
If you can imagine what it feels like to want to hurt someone more than you want to avoid being hurt yourself, you know what hate feels like.
If you're reading this, you're awesome and you should feel awesome.
Maikuru
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/29/2015 9:17:57 PM
At 12/29/2015 7:05:56 PM, RyuuKyuzo wrote:
If you can imagine what it feels like to want to hurt someone more than you want to avoid being hurt yourself, you know what hate feels like.
"You assume I wouldn't want to burn this whole place to the ground."
- lamerde

https://i.imgflip.com...
sadolite
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/30/2015 12:49:12 AM
Some people are only alive because it is against the law to kill them. That is what hate feels like.
It's not your views that divide us, it's what you think my views should be that divides us.

If you think I will give up my rights and forsake social etiquette to make you "FEEL" better you are sadly mistaken

If liberal democrats would just stop shooting people gun violence would drop by 90%
Zarium
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/19/2016 6:33:43 AM
Posted: 10 months ago
Seems many tell you what circumstances they need or what justifications that hate requires, but you asked what it feels like.

I have no other avenue of experience other than my self.

When I hated someone, it started off as anger, I feel the cloud 'descend' on my brain, where all i see and hear were the things that made me mad - "You look so stupid like that, omg you should listen to what you are saying.... ARE YOU F*CKING KIDDDING ME>?!?!", basically, thoughts that just grow and grow to rage.

At that point i started to honestly hate the person (I will not give you context as to what the situation is, as it is private). Whenever I see this person, whenever i think of this person, whenever the person's smell comes near me - My body immediately strains - I feel a pressure building in my arms and legs, I feel the need - to need to find them, just so I can grate and vent my anger towards them.

Whenever this person is in my mind, I feel a lot of heat, Like my body sort of goes up 10 degrees. I find it hard to concentrate on tasks and subjects, and a lot of my prepared speeches go out the window to be replaced by vulgar profanities.

In short - Craziness increases a thousand fold
All other senses take a 'back seat' - I remember feeling other things/emotions afterwards, however at the time, it is dismissed and made irrelevant.

Hope that helps :)
skipsaweirdo
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/19/2016 6:57:41 AM
At 12/27/2015 9:12:52 PM, janesix wrote:
Does it feel like anger? Does it have its own feeling?
I would answer but hate these kind of questions.
Philosophy is not sentiment, hate is for the psychology forum. Don't you just hate it when people tell you where to post. Lol
R0b1Billion
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/24/2016 5:00:50 AM
At 1/19/2016 6:57:41 AM, skipsaweirdo wrote:

Philosophy is not sentiment, hate is for the psychology forum.

I disagree. Emotion is for psychology forums, and hatred is not an emotion. As I just posted in another forum a moment ago, there are four main emotions:
1. Happiness
2. Sadness
3. Anger/disgust
4. Surprise/fear

Hatred is not an emotion, it is an idea. Pride is not an emotion, nor is envy, gluttony, or any of the "seven deadly sins." Hatred, or wrath, is not the same as anger. For example, let's say I hate black people. I am not actively, emotionally angry at black people, even though my hatred can create that anger readily. My hatred for them would be an idea based on pride, which itself is based on bias. Humans are intelligent, which is also called sentient, which is also called self-aware. Any self-aware being is also biased towards the self inherently, and this bias takes the form of pride, which in turn derives the seven deadly sins - of which hatred is included. There is no psychological basis for the 7 Sins, these ideas would be present in any self-aware being no matter what its genetic/biological composition.
Beliefs in a nutshell:
- The Ends never justify the Means.
- Objectivity is secondary to subjectivity.
- The War on Drugs is the worst policy in the U.S.
- Most people worship technology as a religion.
- Computers will never become sentient.
skipsaweirdo
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/24/2016 9:06:09 AM
At 1/24/2016 5:00:50 AM, R0b1Billion wrote:
At 1/19/2016 6:57:41 AM, skipsaweirdo wrote:

Philosophy is not sentiment, hate is for the psychology forum.

I disagree. Emotion is for psychology forums, and hatred is not an emotion. As I just posted in another forum a moment ago, there are four main emotions:
1. Happiness
2. Sadness
3. Anger/disgust
4. Surprise/fear

Hatred is not an emotion, it is an idea. Pride is not an emotion, nor is envy, gluttony, or any of the "seven deadly sins." Hatred, or wrath, is not the same as anger. For example, let's say I hate black people. I am not actively, emotionally angry at black people, even though my hatred can create that anger readily. My hatred for them would be an idea based on pride, which itself is based on bias. Humans are intelligent, which is also called sentient, which is also called self-aware. Any self-aware being is also biased towards the self inherently, and this bias takes the form of pride, which in turn derives the seven deadly sins - of which hatred is included. There is no psychological basis for the 7 Sins, these ideas would be present in any self-aware being no matter what its genetic/biological composition.
Do you always make up your own definitions in order to act as if you have a point? These are from dictionary.com, though they might not actually realize they're in the business of defining things,

emotion
[ih-moh-shuh n]
noun
an affective state of consciousness in which joy, sorrow, fear, hate, or the like, is experienced, as distinguished from cognitive and volitional states of consciousness.
any of the feelings of joy, sorrow, fear, hate, love, etc.

pride
[prahyd]
Spell Syllables
noun
a high or inordinate opinion of one's own dignity, importance, merit, or superiority, whether as cherished in the mind or as displayed in bearing, conduct, etc.
the state or feeling of being proud.

hate
[heyt]
Spell Syllables
Synonyms Examples Word Origin
verb (used with object), hated, hating.
to dislike intensely or passionately; feel extreme aversion for or extreme hostility toward; detest:
to hate the enemy; to hate bigotry.

Wow, look at that. Pride is a feeling, hate is a feeling, and emotion is a (strong) feeling. Is that what intensely means? Oh wait, I'm asking the wrong person. You sure you know what 7 deadly sins actually means? And I'm not asking if you think anything is a sin, I'm simply asking if you understand what the words mean. That's a joke btw.
R0b1Billion
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/25/2016 5:52:12 AM
At 1/24/2016 9:06:09 AM, skipsaweirdo wrote:

Do you always make up your own definitions in order to act as if you have a point?

I am engaged in the search for truth. In its most advanced stages, the truth requires you to re-define concepts which are colloquially ill-defined.

These are from dictionary.com, though they might not actually realize they're in the business of defining things,

Not sure if that's tongue-in-cheek or something, but dictionary.com is not the be-all, end-all of the universe. Plato didn't spend hundreds of pages trying to define "justice" in the Republic just to be outdone by a couple sentences in a common dictionary. If we could simply use a dictionary to figure out every philosophical concept and be done with it, there would probably be nothing left for philosophers to discuss.

emotion
[ih-moh-shuh n]
noun
an affective state of consciousness in which joy, sorrow, fear, hate, or the like, is experienced, as distinguished from cognitive and volitional states of consciousness.

pride
[prahyd]
Spell Syllables
noun
a high or inordinate opinion of one's own dignity, importance, merit, or superiority, whether as cherished in the mind or as displayed in bearing, conduct, etc.

hate
[heyt]
Spell Syllables
to dislike intensely or passionately; feel extreme aversion for or extreme hostility toward; detest:

Wow, look at that. Pride is a feeling, hate is a feeling, and emotion is a (strong) feeling. Is that what intensely means? Oh wait, I'm asking the wrong person. You sure you know what 7 deadly sins actually means? And I'm not asking if you think anything is a sin, I'm simply asking if you understand what the words mean. That's a joke btw.

Is it really a stretch to purport that the authors of these definitions are
1) designing them for colloquial use, not technical and
2) not experts in the fields of philosophy or psychology?

Furthermore, terms tend to fluctuate. Vocabulary is a marvelous thing. It changes over time, it changes from person to person, it grows healthier and it suffers and mutates. The word "emotion," for example, is the offspring of the term "passion." "Ambition" is rooted in political canvassing and was originally meant to describe ruthless tyrants who would step on underlings and smite the weak to succeed. Now, to call somebody ambitious is perhaps the greatest compliment you can give. Pride is similar to ambition, in that it started out as the paragon of negativity, and somehow mutated into a positive term.

I challenge you to research "emotion" instead of relying on dictionary.com. Psychologists have different frameworks they use to capture the term, and the one I prefer is the simplest - that we have four basic emotions, and all other emotion is a derivative of them. Formerly, we split disgust from anger and surprise from fear to make six. Other psychologists use much more elaborate models, showing many more emotions and going from there. I think you will notice quickly that the seven sins are not part of these models, that is, the experts who are doing the research and creating these models do not list things like envy, pride, and hatred as part of psychological emotional theory. Perhaps there will be some model out there which clumsily lists hatred as an intense version of anger, which I would disagree with, but nonetheless you will see what I'm saying is true.
Beliefs in a nutshell:
- The Ends never justify the Means.
- Objectivity is secondary to subjectivity.
- The War on Drugs is the worst policy in the U.S.
- Most people worship technology as a religion.
- Computers will never become sentient.
skipsaweirdo
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/25/2016 6:22:26 AM
At 1/25/2016 5:52:12 AM, R0b1Billion wrote:
At 1/24/2016 9:06:09 AM, skipsaweirdo wrote:

Do you always make up your own definitions in order to act as if you have a point?

I am engaged in the search for truth. In its most advanced stages, the truth requires you to re-define concepts which are colloquially ill-defined.
So that's a yes you make up your own defintions
These are from dictionary.com, though they might not actually realize they're in the business of defining things,

Not sure if that's tongue-in-cheek or something, but dictionary.com is not the be-all, end-all of the universe. Plato didn't spend hundreds of pages trying to define "justice" in the Republic just to be outdone by a couple sentences in a common dictionary. If we could simply use a dictionary to figure out every philosophical concept and be done with it, there would probably be nothing left for philosophers to discuss.
Were you planning on mentioning an actual emotion?
emotion
[ih-moh-shuh n]
noun

pride
[prahyd]
Spell Syllables
noun

hate
[heyt]
Spell Syllables

Is it really a stretch to purport that the authors of these definitions are
1) designing them for colloquial use, not technical and
2) not experts in the fields of philosophy or psychology?

Furthermore, terms tend to fluctuate. Vocabulary is a marvelous thing. It changes over time, it changes from person to person, it grows healthier and it suffers and mutates. The word "emotion," for example, is the offspring of the term "passion." "Ambition" is rooted in political canvassing and was originally meant to describe ruthless tyrants who would step on underlings and smite the weak to succeed. Now, to call somebody ambitious is perhaps the greatest compliment you can give. Pride is similar to ambition, in that it started out as the paragon of negativity, and somehow mutated into a positive term.

I challenge you to research "emotion" instead of relying on dictionary.com. Psychologists have different frameworks they use to capture the term, and the one I prefer is the simplest - that we have four basic emotions, and all other emotion is a derivative of them. Formerly, we split disgust from anger and surprise from fear to make six. Other psychologists use much more elaborate models, showing many more emotions and going from there. I think you will notice quickly that the seven sins are not part of these models, that is, the experts who are doing the research and creating these models do not list things like envy, pride, and hatred as part of psychological emotional theory. Perhaps there will be some model out there which clumsily lists hatred as an intense version of anger, which I would disagree with, but nonetheless you will see what I'm saying is true.
You're rather entertaining. No one with a half a brain would even consider hatred being equated as equivalent with anger. Though one can become angry using hatred as a stepping stone or coinciding with it of course. Pop psychology is a rather strange reference. And what's the 7 sins got you all wound up for? And I'm not this stupid. Pride is an emotion Mr. Spock.
Webster's....
pride
noun
Simple Definition of pride
a feeling that you respect yourself and deserve to be respected by other people
a feeling that you are more important or better than other people
a feeling of happiness that you get when you or someone you know does something good, difficult, etc.
Oxford dictionary...
pride
See definition in Oxford Advanced Learner's Dictionary
Syllabification: pride
Pronunciation: /prid /
Definition of pride in English:
noun
1)A feeling or deep pleasure or satisfaction derived from one"s own achievements, the achievements of those with whom one is closely associated, or from qualities or possessions that are widely admired

More of that pesky little "feeling" word. But hey, whatever melts your butter or ultimate search for the "truth", you know as far as wrongly defining words go. Do you accept the definition of truth via the dictionary or do you have your own idea? And I'm not implying some people aren't aware of something being true that others aren't. Just you know, the actual definition.