Total Posts:22|Showing Posts:1-22
Jump to topic:

Thought experiment: who's the best person?

Benshapiro
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/5/2016 11:02:39 PM
Posted: 11 months ago
President: very powerful but has not helped nor hurt anyone. Average looks, salary, and intellect.

Chess grandmaster: Very intelligent but prideful and boastful about it. Average looks. Average salary.

Homeless man: Ugly, poor, unintelligent, weak, but compassionate and generous.

Office secretary: Won 1st place in a state-wide beauty contest but has secretly been unfaithful to her husband for years. Average salary. Average intelligence.

Lottery winner: Very rich. Apathetic and dispassionate towards everyone. Average intellect and average looks.

Who is the best person? I've left the definition of "best" vague on purpose.
spacetime
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/6/2016 12:10:51 AM
At 1/5/2016 11:02:39 PM, Benshapiro wrote:

Might as well frame this question as what it actually is:
What characteristic do you subjectively value most in a person?

President: very powerful but has not helped nor hurt anyone. Average looks, salary, and intellect.
Power

Chess grandmaster: Very intelligent but prideful and boastful about it. Average looks. Average salary.
Intelligence

Compassion

Office secretary: Won 1st place in a state-wide beauty contest but has secretly been unfaithful to her husband for years. Average salary. Average intelligence.
Beauty

Lottery winner: Very rich. Apathetic and dispassionate towards everyone. Average intellect and average looks.
Wealth

Obviously, most people are going to pick "compassion" i.e. the homeless man, because that's what our society's ideal of a virtuous person is.
Call me King Pootie Tang.
Diqiucun_Cunmin
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/6/2016 3:28:47 PM

Homeless man, hands down. Next would be chess grandmaster and president. The other two are bad people.
The thing is, I hate relativism. I hate relativism more than I hate everything else, excepting, maybe, fibreglass powerboats... What it overlooks, to put it briefly and crudely, is the fixed structure of human nature. - Jerry Fodor

Don't be a stat cynic:
http://www.debate.org...

Response to conservative views on deforestation:
http://www.debate.org...

Topics I'd like to debate (not debating ATM): http://tinyurl.com...
Deb-8-A-Bull
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/6/2016 4:10:33 PM

I am. Then the person who pays the most tax over there life time. In that order.
sadolite
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/6/2016 10:02:06 PM
I am going with President "hasn't helped or hurt anyone" Nothing to like or dislike.
It's not your views that divide us, it's what you think my views should be that divides us.

If you think I will give up my rights and forsake social etiquette to make you "FEEL" better you are sadly mistaken

If liberal democrats would just stop shooting people gun violence would drop by 90%
PeacefulChaos
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/8/2016 11:22:51 PM

A fish in the ocean is better than all of them, because none of those people can breathe underwater or swim for long periods of time. The fish is thus the best.
Peepette
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/9/2016 2:43:17 AM
There is no one listed with intelligence and compassion. It would be the best of all. I'm more toward the Pres. due to the neutrality.
Cobalt
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/9/2016 8:53:38 AM
No good.

Don't tell us who they are, tell us what they've done or what they've promised to do.
Emilrose
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/9/2016 11:38:11 PM
Personally I don't see any of them as the 'best' or 'better' than each other. Obviously, they have *different* things to offer. Even the lottery winner will have at least one redeeming quality.

It's entirely dependant on opinion and perspective.
Commentator on a picture with David Cameron and a Cat: 'Amazing what you can achieve with photoshop these days. I'm sure that used to be a pig.'

Commentator on Hillary Clinton: 'If Clinton is now what passes for progressive, maybe this country deserves Trump.'

Commentator on British parliament: 'All that talent in one place, where is Ebola when you need it?'

John Kerry on words: 'These aren't just words, folks.'
skipsaweirdo
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/11/2016 6:07:34 AM
At 1/9/2016 11:38:11 PM, Emilrose wrote:
Personally I don't see any of them as the 'best' or 'better' than each other. Obviously, they have *different* things to offer. Even the lottery winner will have at least one redeeming quality.

So I'm assuming this means you don't actually have an opinion on people being best or better. The question is asking you personally what your opinion is, there is no wrong answer.
I'm for the cheating wife. Sex without commitment can be best when you are already committed, in a relationship, not an asylum. Of course that would mean I'm a cheater unless we have an agreement....
Emilrose
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/11/2016 7:44:39 PM
At 1/11/2016 6:07:34 AM, skipsaweirdo wrote:

So I'm assuming this means you don't actually have an opinion on people being best or better. The question is asking you personally what your opinion is, there is no wrong answer.
I'm for the cheating wife. Sex without commitment can be best when you are already committed, in a relationship, not an asylum. Of course that would mean I'm a cheater unless we have an agreement....

Wut
Commentator on a picture with David Cameron and a Cat: 'Amazing what you can achieve with photoshop these days. I'm sure that used to be a pig.'

Commentator on Hillary Clinton: 'If Clinton is now what passes for progressive, maybe this country deserves Trump.'

Commentator on British parliament: 'All that talent in one place, where is Ebola when you need it?'

Illegalcombatant
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/11/2016 11:48:34 PM

Depends on what your criteria for best is.

Sounds like you are playing the virtue card so I guess the homeless guy gets it on the compassionate and generous points.

Also we are only getting a small part of the story, Take that same homeless guy who among other things gets joy torturing small animals and suddenly his virtues don't really matter that much now..............
"Seems like another attempt to insert God into areas our knowledge has yet to penetrate. You figure God would be bigger than the gaps of our ignorance." Drafterman 19/5/12
Geogeer
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/11/2016 11:53:32 PM

All you did was state what their underlying personalities were. There was nothing here about what they did. Without action there is no way to comment further.
skipsaweirdo
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/12/2016 1:53:49 AM
At 1/11/2016 7:44:39 PM, Emilrose wrote:

Wut
Lol, fill in the obvious omissions. Cheating wife, best to me, why?, so I can cheat with her because I have an agreement with my significant other.
You didn't pick an answer so you don't think anyone is best, better, or bestest, lol.....Yet you seem to want to attribute a redeeming quality to one, the lottery winner. Which would negate it being a thought experiment. Claiming someone has something not stated takes away from the experiment. Charles Manson had a redeeming quality, he really loved the people who were his followers....lol I'm joking
Emilrose
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/12/2016 2:59:47 AM
At 1/12/2016 1:53:49 AM, skipsaweirdo wrote:

Wut
Lol, fill in the obvious omissions. Cheating wife, best to me, why?, so I can cheat with her because I have an agreement with my significant other.
You didn't pick an answer so you don't think anyone is best, better, or bestest, lol.....Yet you seem to want to attribute a redeeming quality to one, the lottery winner. Which would negate it being a thought experiment. Claiming someone has something not stated takes away from the experiment. Charles Manson had a redeeming quality, he really loved the people who were his followers....lol I'm joking

If you're engaging in other sexual relations *with* her agreement, then you're not technically 'cheating'. And I only said that the lottery winner, though they may be apathetic, is bound to have 'at least' one reedeeming quality. It can be argued that even the worst people have.

Once again though, I have no personal feelings on as to who I think is the best.

skipsaweirdo
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/13/2016 2:57:37 AM
At 1/12/2016 2:59:47 AM, Emilrose wrote:
At 1/12/2016 1:53:49 AM, skipsaweirdo wrote:

Wut

If you're engaging in other sexual relations *with* her agreement, then you're not technically 'cheating'. And I only said that the lottery winner, though they may be apathetic, is bound to have 'at least' one reedeeming quality. It can be argued that even the worst people have.
She's cheating, therefore I'm cheating with her. All it takes is one cheater to be a part of cheating..
Once again though, I have no personal feelings on as to who I think is the best.
Bob13
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/15/2016 11:18:29 PM
Posted: 10 months ago
He doesn't use his power, his only good quality. That's an OK person.
I highly value intelligence (maybe I'm a bit too prideful), so I think that outweighs his negative qualities.
If he's poor, what good is generosity? He has some potential, but he's not that good of a person.
Looks have nothing to do with how good someone is. She's a bad person.
Considering how he treats other people, he won't use his money well. He's a bad person.
I guess the chess grandmaster is the best person.
I don't have a signature. :-)
Heterodox
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/1/2016 12:57:22 AM

A president who hasn't helped isn't doing his job.
Chess Grandmaster- Nothing of relevance, not enough info.
Homeless- A generous person with nothing to give is irrelevant. Compassion is irrelevant. Nothing of relevance, not enough info.
Office Secretary- Is a liar and/or cheat.
Lottery Winner- Sounds like the best person here. Or, rather, the least worse person.
Deb-8-A-Bull
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/11/2016 3:13:08 PM

Ben , it's been over 1 month now . Who was the best person , for what and why?
Benshapiro
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/11/2016 10:09:40 PM
At 2/11/2016 3:13:08 PM, Deb-8-A-Bull wrote:

Ben , it's been over 1 month now . Who was the best person , for what and why?

There's not really a correct answer. It depends on which virtue you hold in highest regard. I think most of us recognize that an accomplished life isn't based on worldly achievements. That gets rid of the president, lottery winner, and office secretary. So it's left between the bum and the chess grandmaster. Raw intellect vs moral character. The bum obviously has better moral character and the grandmaster is much smarter. What makes a person great? If you were to die and look back on everything you considered to be worthwhile or good what are you left looking at? What would be best? Despite a deficit in every other area, true greatness is a measure of moral character in my opinion. I'd choose the bum.