Jump to topic:

Why is space so empty?

snkcake666
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/11/2016 5:41:30 AM
Posted: 11 months ago
I do not mean literally, nor in the physical sense in the slightest. Rather, more in the psychological sense. Almost forlorn, actually. Obviously there is a connection between its physical empty state and its mentally, draining state, but it always seemed rather odd. Perhaps it is the concept of finity in a state of infinity, but its atmosphere is notably foreboding. And more-so than foreboding, it seems almost dismal, and quite saddening.

*Not that when I state 'space', I strictly refer to the remainder of physical space outside of Earth's atmosphere.
skipsaweirdo
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/11/2016 6:02:01 AM
At 1/11/2016 5:41:30 AM, snkcake666 wrote:
I do not mean literally, nor in the physical sense in the slightest. Rather, more in the psychological sense. Almost forlorn, actually. Obviously there is a connection between its physical empty state and its mentally, draining state, but it always seemed rather odd. Perhaps it is the concept of finity in a state of infinity, but its atmosphere is notably foreboding. And more-so than foreboding, it seems almost dismal, and quite saddening.

*Not that when I state 'space', I strictly refer to the remainder of physical space outside of Earth's atmosphere.
The volumetric ratio of an atom would astound you. Though there are some debates as to what the "empty space" is in comparison to the substance. Nevertheless, the ratio is the same ratio as 1 second (substance) is to 30 million years (empty space it needs to contain itself). So when someone says "this floor is solid", that's like being correct 1 second or 1 time every time you say something every second for 30 million years. Now that's some matrix crap to ponder, lol
snkcake666
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/11/2016 12:57:06 PM
At 1/11/2016 6:02:01 AM, skipsaweirdo wrote:

The volumetric ratio of an atom would astound you. Though there are some debates as to what the "empty space" is in comparison to the substance. Nevertheless, the ratio is the same ratio as 1 second (substance) is to 30 million years (empty space it needs to contain itself). So when someone says "this floor is solid", that's like being correct 1 second or 1 time every time you say something every second for 30 million years. Now that's some matrix crap to ponder, lol

Obviously you did not read my statement. I quite literally said that I did not mean 'literally empty'.
Kirigaya-Kazuto
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/11/2016 2:04:21 PM

It seems "empty" because as of yet we have found nothing proving that there is more than just us out there. Take a minute and think about it, what if it is just us? What if we got lucky on this random hunk of rock hurtling around a ball of gas? It's a pretty dark thought process to have.
#Don'tlookatDATXDUDE'sprofilebecauseyoureyeswillexplode ~ Petfish
#Treebrokethechurchbells ~ Discipulus_Didicit
Don't quote me ~fire_wings
If anyone's getting modkilled, it's kiri. Just for his sig. ~Seventh
Yes ~Vaarka
No ~Rosalie
Ya clown ~Solon
OSU! ~Vaarka
snkcake666
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/11/2016 3:21:52 PM
At 1/11/2016 2:04:21 PM, Kirigaya-Kazuto wrote:

It seems "empty" because as of yet we have found nothing proving that there is more than just us out there. Take a minute and think about it, what if it is just us? What if we got lucky on this random hunk of rock hurtling around a ball of gas? It's a pretty dark thought process to have.

Honestly, I might not mind, even if we are the only ones. It might prove lonely, but I speculate that if we are the only, then we might have been provided opportunity to expand throughout the regions of space ourselves. But even after years of dedication and comprehensive research, space is still so infinite, and so irrational in a large sense.
Kirigaya-Kazuto
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/11/2016 3:25:53 PM
At 1/11/2016 3:21:52 PM, snkcake666 wrote:

Honestly, I might not mind, even if we are the only ones. It might prove lonely, but I speculate that if we are the only, then we might have been provided opportunity to expand throughout the regions of space ourselves. But even after years of dedication and comprehensive research, space is still so infinite, and so irrational in a large sense.

You and I might not mind it but it isn't a comforting thought to many people. While we might have been provided an opportunity to be the first pioneers of space we may have already squandered this opportunity. As of yet we do not have any way to be able to even think about space travel in a way that is rational and reasonable. As we are now the energy levels and amount of money it takes just aren't worth the money spent. Especially when compared to that of the "infinity" of the universe.
Yes ~Vaarka
No ~Rosalie
Ya clown ~Solon
OSU! ~Vaarka
snkcake666
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/11/2016 3:29:28 PM
At 1/11/2016 3:25:53 PM, Kirigaya-Kazuto wrote:

You and I might not mind it but it isn't a comforting thought to many people. While we might have been provided an opportunity to be the first pioneers of space we may have already squandered this opportunity. As of yet we do not have any way to be able to even think about space travel in a way that is rational and reasonable. As we are now the energy levels and amount of money it takes just aren't worth the money spent. Especially when compared to that of the "infinity" of the universe.

I suppose priority and value really do differ among people.
Kirigaya-Kazuto
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/11/2016 3:38:50 PM
At 1/11/2016 3:29:28 PM, snkcake666 wrote:

Oh don't get me wrong space is an amazing and wonderful thing, however, we have yet to explore most of our oceans which is very similar to outer space. We need to be able to fully or nearly fully understand our own planet before we can even dream of understanding another planet.
Yes ~Vaarka
No ~Rosalie
Ya clown ~Solon
OSU! ~Vaarka
snkcake666
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/11/2016 4:06:40 PM
At 1/11/2016 3:38:50 PM, Kirigaya-Kazuto wrote:

Oh don't get me wrong space is an amazing and wonderful thing, however, we have yet to explore most of our oceans which is very similar to outer space. We need to be able to fully or nearly fully understand our own planet before we can even dream of understanding another planet.

Space is weird.
Kirigaya-Kazuto
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/11/2016 4:08:04 PM
At 1/11/2016 4:06:40 PM, snkcake666 wrote:
At 1/11/2016 3:38:50 PM, Kirigaya-Kazuto wrote:

Space is weird.

Many things in life are weird, I would have to agree with you though. Space is in fact very weird
Yes ~Vaarka
No ~Rosalie
Ya clown ~Solon
OSU! ~Vaarka
skipsaweirdo
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/11/2016 6:19:17 PM
At 1/11/2016 12:57:06 PM, snkcake666 wrote:

Obviously you did not read my statement. I quite literally said that I did not mean 'literally empty'.
Well either way you look at it, empty space is literally empty no matter what atoms are involved. That's my point.
snkcake666
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/12/2016 1:58:24 AM
At 1/11/2016 6:19:17 PM, skipsaweirdo wrote:

Well either way you look at it, empty space is literally empty no matter what atoms are involved. That's my point.

And my point is that it was irrelevant, as that was not my question.
skipsaweirdo
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/12/2016 2:02:52 AM
At 1/12/2016 1:58:24 AM, snkcake666 wrote:
At 1/11/2016 6:19:17 PM, skipsaweirdo wrote:

And my point is that it was irrelevant, as that was not my question.
Your question was rather vague. "Why is space so empty". I merely showed that by definition, everything is mostly empty. Space, the Earth, a tree, you, elephants are all mostly empty. Void of physical substance. Try and think like it's humor without the actual laughing.
PeacefulChaos
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/13/2016 5:07:35 AM
I do not mean literally, nor in the physical sense in the slightest

You'll have to clarify which you mean for me. I don't understand.