Total Posts:25|Showing Posts:1-25
Jump to topic:

Imagine a State of Nothingness.

snkcake666
Posts: 37
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/20/2016 4:06:26 AM
Posted: 1 year ago
Not simply a vacuum of space, void of matter. But stripped of space itself, color itself, or rather, the inherent comprehension of the color "black". A state in which distance nor time exist, but frankly a state of nonexistence. It seems essentially impossible to imagine a concept without fundamental property of its own.
skipsaweirdo
Posts: 2,433
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/20/2016 6:10:08 AM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 1/20/2016 4:06:26 AM, snkcake666 wrote:
Not simply a vacuum of space, void of matter. But stripped of space itself, color itself, or rather, the inherent comprehension of the color "black". A state in which distance nor time exist, but frankly a state of nonexistence. It seems essentially impossible to imagine a concept without fundamental property of its own.
Ok,

That was easy.
Geogeer
Posts: 5,275
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/20/2016 10:07:49 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 1/20/2016 4:06:26 AM, snkcake666 wrote:
Not simply a vacuum of space, void of matter. But stripped of space itself, color itself, or rather, the inherent comprehension of the color "black". A state in which distance nor time exist, but frankly a state of nonexistence. It seems essentially impossible to imagine a concept without fundamental property of its own.

Okay I'm in the mind of a liberal. Now what?
PeacefulChaos
Posts: 2,649
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/20/2016 10:11:00 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 1/20/2016 4:06:26 AM, snkcake666 wrote:
Not simply a vacuum of space, void of matter. But stripped of space itself, color itself, or rather, the inherent comprehension of the color "black". A state in which distance nor time exist, but frankly a state of nonexistence. It seems essentially impossible to imagine a concept without fundamental property of its own.

You ask the impossible.

1. Anything we can conceive either exists or does not exist
2. Anything that does not exist is nothing
3. It is impossible to conceive a concept of nothingness. To formulate a concept, something must be thought of.
4. We cannot conceive a concept of that which does not exist
C: Therefore, anything we conceive is something
snkcake666
Posts: 37
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/20/2016 10:52:04 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 1/20/2016 10:07:49 PM, Geogeer wrote:
At 1/20/2016 4:06:26 AM, snkcake666 wrote:
Not simply a vacuum of space, void of matter. But stripped of space itself, color itself, or rather, the inherent comprehension of the color "black". A state in which distance nor time exist, but frankly a state of nonexistence. It seems essentially impossible to imagine a concept without fundamental property of its own.

Okay I'm in the mind of a liberal. Now what?

Clever.
sadolite
Posts: 9,448
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/20/2016 11:03:18 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 1/20/2016 10:07:49 PM, Geogeer wrote:
At 1/20/2016 4:06:26 AM, snkcake666 wrote:
Not simply a vacuum of space, void of matter. But stripped of space itself, color itself, or rather, the inherent comprehension of the color "black". A state in which distance nor time exist, but frankly a state of nonexistence. It seems essentially impossible to imagine a concept without fundamental property of its own.

Okay I'm in the mind of a liberal. Now what?

Bump
geho89
Posts: 29
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/21/2016 12:48:49 AM
Posted: 1 year ago
I like to use the example of what I see with my imaginary eye on the back of my head to explain the concept of "nothing". So I ask you, describe what you see that is behind you. It is in no comparison to "black" because that is what you see when you close your eyes and that is not equivalent to "nothing".
Sidewalker
Posts: 3,749
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/21/2016 1:00:16 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 1/20/2016 6:35:45 AM, sadolite wrote:
Ok, here goes, I'm done. What now?

Describe it.
"It is one of the commonest of mistakes to consider that the limit of our power of perception is also the limit of all there is to perceive." " C. W. Leadbeater
stealspell
Posts: 980
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/21/2016 8:01:07 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 1/20/2016 4:06:26 AM, snkcake666 wrote:
Not simply a vacuum of space, void of matter. But stripped of space itself, color itself, or rather, the inherent comprehension of the color "black". A state in which distance nor time exist, but frankly a state of nonexistence. It seems essentially impossible to imagine a concept without fundamental property of its own.

Exactly. Nothingness is an abstract rather than concrete word/concept/idea. The opposite is also impossible: a state of everythingness.
sadolite
Posts: 9,448
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/22/2016 12:29:25 AM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 1/21/2016 1:00:16 PM, Sidewalker wrote:
At 1/20/2016 6:35:45 AM, sadolite wrote:
Ok, here goes, I'm done. What now?

Describe it.

OK here goes
n7
Posts: 1,465
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/22/2016 12:42:51 AM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 1/20/2016 4:06:26 AM, snkcake666 wrote:
Not simply a vacuum of space, void of matter. But stripped of space itself, color itself, or rather, the inherent comprehension of the color "black". A state in which distance nor time exist, but frankly a state of nonexistence. It seems essentially impossible to imagine a concept without fundamental property of its own.

Imagination requires the object of imagination to be an intentional state. But with nothingness, there's nothing to be intentional towards. And nothingness cannot be counted as a "state" in the first place. Imagining a state of nothingness is impossible.
404 coherent debate topic not found. Please restart the debate with clear resolution.


Uphold Marxist-Leninist-Maoist-Sargonist-n7ism.
n7
Posts: 1,465
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/22/2016 12:43:23 AM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 1/20/2016 10:07:49 PM, Geogeer wrote:
At 1/20/2016 4:06:26 AM, snkcake666 wrote:
Not simply a vacuum of space, void of matter. But stripped of space itself, color itself, or rather, the inherent comprehension of the color "black". A state in which distance nor time exist, but frankly a state of nonexistence. It seems essentially impossible to imagine a concept without fundamental property of its own.

Okay I'm in the mind of a liberal. Now what?

Saw this joke coming a mile away.
404 coherent debate topic not found. Please restart the debate with clear resolution.


Uphold Marxist-Leninist-Maoist-Sargonist-n7ism.
PeacefulChaos
Posts: 2,649
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/22/2016 1:13:08 AM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 1/21/2016 1:00:16 PM, Sidewalker wrote:
At 1/20/2016 6:35:45 AM, sadolite wrote:
Ok, here goes, I'm done. What now?

Describe it.

It should have no description.
Geogeer
Posts: 5,275
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/22/2016 2:30:52 AM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 1/22/2016 12:43:23 AM, n7 wrote:
At 1/20/2016 10:07:49 PM, Geogeer wrote:
At 1/20/2016 4:06:26 AM, snkcake666 wrote:
Not simply a vacuum of space, void of matter. But stripped of space itself, color itself, or rather, the inherent comprehension of the color "black". A state in which distance nor time exist, but frankly a state of nonexistence. It seems essentially impossible to imagine a concept without fundamental property of its own.

Okay I'm in the mind of a liberal. Now what?

Saw this joke coming a mile away.

And yet the humour of it wasn't in the least bit diminished!
Mhykiel
Posts: 6,100
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/24/2016 1:45:09 AM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 1/20/2016 10:11:00 PM, PeacefulChaos wrote:
At 1/20/2016 4:06:26 AM, snkcake666 wrote:
Not simply a vacuum of space, void of matter. But stripped of space itself, color itself, or rather, the inherent comprehension of the color "black". A state in which distance nor time exist, but frankly a state of nonexistence. It seems essentially impossible to imagine a concept without fundamental property of its own.

You ask the impossible.

1. Anything we can conceive either exists or does not exist
2. Anything that does not exist is nothing
3. It is impossible to conceive a concept of nothingness. To formulate a concept, something must be thought of.
4. We cannot conceive a concept of that which does not exist
C: Therefore, anything we conceive is something

If this were true how do we have a word "nothing" clearly we have a concept of something and have named it "nothing".
PeacefulChaos
Posts: 2,649
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/24/2016 4:21:35 AM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 1/24/2016 1:45:09 AM, Mhykiel wrote:
At 1/20/2016 10:11:00 PM, PeacefulChaos wrote:
At 1/20/2016 4:06:26 AM, snkcake666 wrote:
Not simply a vacuum of space, void of matter. But stripped of space itself, color itself, or rather, the inherent comprehension of the color "black". A state in which distance nor time exist, but frankly a state of nonexistence. It seems essentially impossible to imagine a concept without fundamental property of its own.

You ask the impossible.

1. Anything we can conceive either exists or does not exist
2. Anything that does not exist is nothing
3. It is impossible to conceive a concept of nothingness. To formulate a concept, something must be thought of.
4. We cannot conceive a concept of that which does not exist
C: Therefore, anything we conceive is something

If this were true how do we have a word "nothing" clearly we have a concept of something and have named it "nothing".

I don't understand your rebuttal. Can you be more clear?

The very fact that there is a concept in existence (i.e. this concept that we call nothing) is proof that that everything we can conceive is something. A concept, by definition, must be something that is thought of.
R0b1Billion
Posts: 3,932
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/24/2016 4:38:04 AM
Posted: 1 year ago
I believe this is the most fascinating question in all of philosophy: why did anything ever come to exist? Why not just nothing? Trying to imagine this nothingness is something any philosopher worth his salt ought to try on occasion. It's like a sort of meditation...
AKA
Rob1billion
Rob1_Billion
Caramel
Lasagna
Mhykiel
Posts: 6,100
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/24/2016 5:04:26 AM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 1/24/2016 4:21:35 AM, PeacefulChaos wrote:
At 1/24/2016 1:45:09 AM, Mhykiel wrote:
At 1/20/2016 10:11:00 PM, PeacefulChaos wrote:
At 1/20/2016 4:06:26 AM, snkcake666 wrote:
Not simply a vacuum of space, void of matter. But stripped of space itself, color itself, or rather, the inherent comprehension of the color "black". A state in which distance nor time exist, but frankly a state of nonexistence. It seems essentially impossible to imagine a concept without fundamental property of its own.

You ask the impossible.

1. Anything we can conceive either exists or does not exist
2. Anything that does not exist is nothing
3. It is impossible to conceive a concept of nothingness. To formulate a concept, something must be thought of.
4. We cannot conceive a concept of that which does not exist
C: Therefore, anything we conceive is something

If this were true how do we have a word "nothing" clearly we have a concept of something and have named it "nothing".

I don't understand your rebuttal. Can you be more clear?

The very fact that there is a concept in existence (i.e. this concept that we call nothing) is proof that that everything we can conceive is something. A concept, by definition, must be something that is thought of.

I think it better to say that everything we conceive of is either in the mind or has a reference outside reality.

nothing is (no thing) and the OP asked if we could imagine "nothing". And the OP was clear on what they considered "thing" to be. space time ect...

Are you suggesting that a mental concept is a thing with space? time? substance? or is composed of anything?

In this respect the only place "no thing" can be perceived is as a mental concept.
PeacefulChaos
Posts: 2,649
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/25/2016 11:17:08 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 1/24/2016 5:04:26 AM, Mhykiel wrote:

I think it better to say that everything we conceive of is either in the mind or has a reference outside reality.

nothing is (no thing) and the OP asked if we could imagine "nothing". And the OP was clear on what they considered "thing" to be. space time ect...

Are you suggesting that a mental concept is a thing with space? time? substance? or is composed of anything?

Regardless of what the mental concept is, it is a thing. A thing cannot be no thing.


In this respect the only place "no thing" can be perceived is as a mental concept.

Nothing, as the OP described (interestingly), should be something that cannot be perceived or described. It should be something without description, as it does not exist.
Mhykiel
Posts: 6,100
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/26/2016 4:47:01 AM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 1/25/2016 11:17:08 PM, PeacefulChaos wrote:
At 1/24/2016 5:04:26 AM, Mhykiel wrote:

I think it better to say that everything we conceive of is either in the mind or has a reference outside reality.

nothing is (no thing) and the OP asked if we could imagine "nothing". And the OP was clear on what they considered "thing" to be. space time ect...

Are you suggesting that a mental concept is a thing with space? time? substance? or is composed of anything?

Regardless of what the mental concept is, it is a thing. A thing cannot be no thing.


In this respect the only place "no thing" can be perceived is as a mental concept.

Nothing, as the OP described (interestingly), should be something that cannot be perceived or described. It should be something without description, as it does not exist.

But you just described it as the lack of descriptors.
PeacefulChaos
Posts: 2,649
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/26/2016 5:18:50 AM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 1/26/2016 4:47:01 AM, Mhykiel wrote:

But you just described it as the lack of descriptors.

That's why I find it interesting that the OP described it that way.
Heterodox
Posts: 323
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/31/2016 2:07:20 AM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 1/20/2016 4:06:26 AM, snkcake666 wrote:
Not simply a vacuum of space, void of matter. But stripped of space itself, color itself, or rather, the inherent comprehension of the color "black". A state in which distance nor time exist, but frankly a state of nonexistence. It seems essentially impossible to imagine a concept without fundamental property of its own.

I can't.

Just like I can't remember anything from a decade before I was born.
famousdebater
Posts: 3,964
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/31/2016 8:45:58 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 1/20/2016 4:06:26 AM, snkcake666 wrote:
Not simply a vacuum of space, void of matter. But stripped of space itself, color itself, or rather, the inherent comprehension of the color "black". A state in which distance nor time exist, but frankly a state of nonexistence. It seems essentially impossible to imagine a concept without fundamental property of its own.

Nothingness as is quantum fluctuations?
"Life calls the tune, we dance."
John Galsworthy