Jump to topic:

Imagine a State of Nothingness.

snkcake666
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/20/2016 4:06:26 AM
Posted: 10 months ago
Not simply a vacuum of space, void of matter. But stripped of space itself, color itself, or rather, the inherent comprehension of the color "black". A state in which distance nor time exist, but frankly a state of nonexistence. It seems essentially impossible to imagine a concept without fundamental property of its own.
skipsaweirdo
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/20/2016 6:10:08 AM
At 1/20/2016 4:06:26 AM, snkcake666 wrote:
Not simply a vacuum of space, void of matter. But stripped of space itself, color itself, or rather, the inherent comprehension of the color "black". A state in which distance nor time exist, but frankly a state of nonexistence. It seems essentially impossible to imagine a concept without fundamental property of its own.
Ok,

That was easy.
sadolite
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/20/2016 6:35:45 AM
Ok, here goes, I'm done. What now?
It's not your views that divide us, it's what you think my views should be that divides us.

If you think I will give up my rights and forsake social etiquette to make you "FEEL" better you are sadly mistaken

If liberal democrats would just stop shooting people gun violence would drop by 90%
Geogeer
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/20/2016 10:07:49 PM

Okay I'm in the mind of a liberal. Now what?
PeacefulChaos
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/20/2016 10:11:00 PM

You ask the impossible.

1. Anything we can conceive either exists or does not exist
2. Anything that does not exist is nothing
3. It is impossible to conceive a concept of nothingness. To formulate a concept, something must be thought of.
4. We cannot conceive a concept of that which does not exist
C: Therefore, anything we conceive is something
snkcake666
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/20/2016 10:52:04 PM
At 1/20/2016 10:07:49 PM, Geogeer wrote:

Clever.
sadolite
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/20/2016 11:03:18 PM

Bump
It's not your views that divide us, it's what you think my views should be that divides us.

If you think I will give up my rights and forsake social etiquette to make you "FEEL" better you are sadly mistaken

If liberal democrats would just stop shooting people gun violence would drop by 90%
geho89
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/21/2016 12:48:49 AM
I like to use the example of what I see with my imaginary eye on the back of my head to explain the concept of "nothing". So I ask you, describe what you see that is behind you. It is in no comparison to "black" because that is what you see when you close your eyes and that is not equivalent to "nothing".
1harderthanyouthink
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/21/2016 2:23:56 AM
Impossible.
"It's awfully considerate of you to think of me here,
And I'm much obliged to you for making it clear - that I'm not here."

-Syd Barrett

DDO Risk King
Sidewalker
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/21/2016 1:00:16 PM
At 1/20/2016 6:35:45 AM, sadolite wrote:

Describe it.
"It is one of the commonest of mistakes to consider that the limit of our power of perception is also the limit of all there is to perceive." " C. W. Leadbeater
stealspell
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/21/2016 8:01:07 PM

Exactly. Nothingness is an abstract rather than concrete word/concept/idea. The opposite is also impossible: a state of everythingness.
sadolite
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/22/2016 12:29:25 AM
At 1/21/2016 1:00:16 PM, Sidewalker wrote:

Describe it.

OK here goes

n7
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/22/2016 12:42:51 AM

Imagination requires the object of imagination to be an intentional state. But with nothingness, there's nothing to be intentional towards. And nothingness cannot be counted as a "state" in the first place. Imagining a state of nothingness is impossible.
404 coherent debate topic not found. Please restart the debate with clear resolution.

Uphold Marxist-Leninist-Maoist-Sargonist-n7ism.
n7
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/22/2016 12:43:23 AM

Saw this joke coming a mile away.
404 coherent debate topic not found. Please restart the debate with clear resolution.

Uphold Marxist-Leninist-Maoist-Sargonist-n7ism.
PeacefulChaos
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/22/2016 1:13:08 AM
At 1/21/2016 1:00:16 PM, Sidewalker wrote:

Describe it.

It should have no description.
Geogeer
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/22/2016 2:30:52 AM
At 1/22/2016 12:43:23 AM, n7 wrote:

Saw this joke coming a mile away.

And yet the humour of it wasn't in the least bit diminished!
Mhykiel
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/24/2016 1:45:09 AM
At 1/20/2016 10:11:00 PM, PeacefulChaos wrote:

You ask the impossible.

3. It is impossible to conceive a concept of nothingness. To formulate a concept, something must be thought of.

If this were true how do we have a word "nothing" clearly we have a concept of something and have named it "nothing".
PeacefulChaos
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/24/2016 4:21:35 AM
At 1/24/2016 1:45:09 AM, Mhykiel wrote:

You ask the impossible.

If this were true how do we have a word "nothing" clearly we have a concept of something and have named it "nothing".

I don't understand your rebuttal. Can you be more clear?

The very fact that there is a concept in existence (i.e. this concept that we call nothing) is proof that that everything we can conceive is something. A concept, by definition, must be something that is thought of.
R0b1Billion
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/24/2016 4:38:04 AM
I believe this is the most fascinating question in all of philosophy: why did anything ever come to exist? Why not just nothing? Trying to imagine this nothingness is something any philosopher worth his salt ought to try on occasion. It's like a sort of meditation...
Beliefs in a nutshell:
- The Ends never justify the Means.
- Objectivity is secondary to subjectivity.
- The War on Drugs is the worst policy in the U.S.
- Most people worship technology as a religion.
- Computers will never become sentient.
Mhykiel
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/24/2016 5:04:26 AM
At 1/24/2016 4:21:35 AM, PeacefulChaos wrote:
At 1/24/2016 1:45:09 AM, Mhykiel wrote:

You ask the impossible.

I don't understand your rebuttal. Can you be more clear?

The very fact that there is a concept in existence (i.e. this concept that we call nothing) is proof that that everything we can conceive is something. A concept, by definition, must be something that is thought of.

I think it better to say that everything we conceive of is either in the mind or has a reference outside reality.

nothing is (no thing) and the OP asked if we could imagine "nothing". And the OP was clear on what they considered "thing" to be. space time ect...

Are you suggesting that a mental concept is a thing with space? time? substance? or is composed of anything?

In this respect the only place "no thing" can be perceived is as a mental concept.
PeacefulChaos
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/25/2016 11:17:08 PM
At 1/24/2016 5:04:26 AM, Mhykiel wrote:

I think it better to say that everything we conceive of is either in the mind or has a reference outside reality.

nothing is (no thing) and the OP asked if we could imagine "nothing". And the OP was clear on what they considered "thing" to be. space time ect...

Are you suggesting that a mental concept is a thing with space? time? substance? or is composed of anything?

Regardless of what the mental concept is, it is a thing. A thing cannot be no thing.

In this respect the only place "no thing" can be perceived is as a mental concept.

Nothing, as the OP described (interestingly), should be something that cannot be perceived or described. It should be something without description, as it does not exist.
Mhykiel
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/26/2016 4:47:01 AM
At 1/25/2016 11:17:08 PM, PeacefulChaos wrote:
At 1/24/2016 5:04:26 AM, Mhykiel wrote:

Regardless of what the mental concept is, it is a thing. A thing cannot be no thing.

Nothing, as the OP described (interestingly), should be something that cannot be perceived or described. It should be something without description, as it does not exist.

But you just described it as the lack of descriptors.
PeacefulChaos
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/26/2016 5:18:50 AM
At 1/26/2016 4:47:01 AM, Mhykiel wrote:

But you just described it as the lack of descriptors.

That's why I find it interesting that the OP described it that way.
Heterodox
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/31/2016 2:07:20 AM

I can't.

Just like I can't remember anything from a decade before I was born.
famousdebater
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/31/2016 8:45:58 PM

Nothingness as is quantum fluctuations?
"Life calls the tune, we dance."
John Galsworthy