Jump to topic:

do we need goverment?

TangitRell
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/9/2016 11:41:51 PM
Posted: 9 months ago
I feel like government is big lie. All the lies, all the scandals and cover-ups...
they act they are protecting us from the boogeyman, isis, killers, thieves, liars, con artists in the world; THEY seem to be the ones that do it the most; and they do it with impunity!

granted, I am an un-educated, 25 year old black man who lives just outside of Detroit, Im just starting to feel like if there were no concept/role of 'government', the world would be a much safer place. I havent met anyone in my life who i think would turn into a criminal if there were no such thing as government.
Bob13
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/10/2016 2:09:13 PM
At 2/9/2016 11:41:51 PM, TangitRell wrote:
I feel like government is big lie. All the lies, all the scandals and cover-ups...
they act they are protecting us from the boogeyman, isis, killers, thieves, liars, con artists in the world; THEY seem to be the ones that do it the most; and they do it with impunity!

granted, I am an un-educated, 25 year old black man who lives just outside of Detroit, Im just starting to feel like if there were no concept/role of 'government', the world would be a much safer place. I havent met anyone in my life who i think would turn into a criminal if there were no such thing as government.
Where have you been besides Detroit?
I don't have a signature. :-)
socialpinko
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/10/2016 4:08:37 PM

Do we need some form of communal organization and investment?, sure. Do we need a state apparatus separate from (yet 'representing') the people?, nah.

Luxury communism
: At 9/29/2014 10:55:59 AM, imabench wrote:
: : At 9/29/2014 9:43:46 AM, kbub wrote:
: :
: : DDO should discredit support of sexual violence at any time and in every way.
:
: I disagree.
Canadasaurus
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/10/2016 11:22:09 PM
Referring to the first post you have made here (I assume), I will add my own very first comment on here. Your very first sentence only. I believe you feel, the same way as, ANY HUMAN BEING should.
A1tre
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/12/2016 10:39:58 PM

Working together in a free society is not an easy thing, everyone has their own version of how things should be. But there are good reason for us to come together and form a government.
A government is essentially an organization that holds a monopoly on power. This is good in the sense that when this is not the case, groups of people can get together and use their power to force others to do as they wish. Without governments you have anarchy, which in itself is not a bad thing. But it does not lead to peace and freedom as many examples show. Take the failed state of Somalia, where warlords rule the country and drive the people into poverty. Or think of Sicily, where the italian government has not power and everything is controlled by the mafia. They do not have economic growth, they do not have freedom or security.

Even if government solves those problems, there are many other problems that arise by concentrating all power in one organization. So often throughout history and even today dictators use their power to surpress entire countries and rob their freedom. Often times the country stops developping economically such as in North Korea and in many other communist countries throughout history.

To solve that problem western countries have started to divide powers within the government, usually into legislature, executive and judiciary. Additionally we make use of democracy. The idea is that people can participate and stand in for what they want and believe without having to use weapons against each other.

I would advise you to go watch crash course politics on youtube, they make fun interesting and informative videos on the topic that will help you understand much concerning this topic.

It's not easy to get a society to live peacfully together, but I think we are on a good path and the alternatives are not very compelling.
robertdinero
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/13/2016 8:25:36 PM
Some sort of government is imperative to a thriving society. Keep in mind I use "government" loosely. It refers to any type of leader or leading force for a group of people.
Double_R
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/13/2016 10:36:27 PM

Before we can move on to addressing your question... Please define "government".
Nerva
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/14/2016 3:52:03 AM

Government on either side is almost useless. I wouldn't go so far as to proclaim anarchy and state that we should have NO government, but I find that it should be very minimal and constantly checked to be in line with the people and their Constitutional liberties.
Don't get on my nerva.
Heterodox
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/17/2016 2:48:51 AM

I think as you get a larger and larger group of people the more you will need authority/government. However, what government is needed for is a better question I think. I certainly don't think it's needed to tell me how to tie my shoes, or tell me what I can or cannot put into my body, knowing the risks involved. Being there so that companies actually tell me the risks involved - I would probably agree with.