Jump to topic:

Fatalism

Objectivity
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/15/2016 5:20:09 PM
Posted: 9 months ago
Can fatalists ever convince anyone of their position? If I was predestined to believe fatalism is BS then they can't change my course can they?
RainbowDash52
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/15/2016 5:43:05 PM
At 2/15/2016 5:20:09 PM, Objectivity wrote:
Can fatalists ever convince anyone of their position? If I was predestined to believe fatalism is BS then they can't change my course can they?

If you were predestined to be convinced by a fatalist's arguments, then yes.
Objectivity
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/15/2016 8:35:17 PM
At 2/15/2016 5:43:05 PM, RainbowDash52 wrote:

If you were predestined to be convinced by a fatalist's arguments, then yes.

OK but if I just outright rejected their argument there isn't much they could do lest they contradicted themselves because I was predestined to reject it
Chaosism
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/15/2016 9:10:55 PM

Fatalism and determinism indistinguishable from any more liberal philosophy unless there is some means of knowing the future. Let's assume that fate exists and let's consider a man who is destined to die on January 8th, 2017 at 12:02:86 (US Pacific Time): unless this piece of knowledge is available, then by what means will his death, either prior to or at the time of, be discernible between a result of free will or fate?

I find the notion of Free Will to be quite fanciful, but since knowledge of the future is not readily available, we may as well live as though we have free will. It's like an impenetrable veil of illusion. It is only when there is a component in the world (i.e. a god) that is claimed to possess such knowledge that it begins to matter.
PeacefulChaos
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/15/2016 9:20:24 PM
At 2/15/2016 8:35:17 PM, Objectivity wrote:

OK but if I just outright rejected their argument there isn't much they could do lest they contradicted themselves because I was predestined to reject it

But we wouldn't know if you would later agree to it, so there would be no contradiction by trying to get you to agree with fatalism.

What if they were fated to continue to argue with you?

That's not a contradiction.

I don't necessarily agree with fatalism, but just pointing out that I don't see any error here.
dylancatlow
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/15/2016 9:36:43 PM

Yes? If fatalism is true, you could be predestined to change your mind on the basis of their arguments.