Jump to topic:

Is the mind magical?

keithprosser
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/17/2016 10:39:29 PM
Posted: 9 months ago
I say the answer is a resounding 'No', btw. The long version follows.

Can anyone tell me how to clench my fist? I need to know which muscles I ave to contract, which ones to relax and - most importantly - how to contract and reax muscles in the first place. Alternatively, what is spleen for? How many cells does it feel like are in your body?

I don't really want answers - I want to point up that we don't have explicit knowledge of our bodies and how they work. Returing to fist clenching, I don't know how I do it - I just know that if I want to clench my fist it happens. I could read up on anatomy and neuro-science, but the point is I don't have to - I can clench my fist even if I've never heard of anatomy, or even of muscles.

From a practical point of view, that makes a lot of sense. It is important for my survival that I know I can clench my fists (and perform other bodily actions), but it is not important I know the neuro-chemistry behind it all.

There is neuro-chemistry behind it, but its not part of my innate 'self-image'. That is I don't think of myself as a bag of chemicals, but as an entity with odd and unexplained powers.

I hope people can see where I a going with this! U=I will stop there to see if it gets any reaction so far....
famousdebater
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/18/2016 11:10:30 AM
At 2/17/2016 10:39:29 PM, keithprosser wrote:
I say the answer is a resounding 'No', btw. The long version follows.

Well the question is entirely subjective but I would probably agree with you here.

Can anyone tell me how to clench my fist? I need to know which muscles I ave to contract, which ones to relax and - most importantly - how to contract and reax muscles in the first place. Alternatively, what is spleen for? How many cells does it feel like are in your body?

I don't really want answers - I want to point up that we don't have explicit knowledge of our bodies and how they work. Returing to fist clenching, I don't know how I do it - I just know that if I want to clench my fist it happens. I could read up on anatomy and neuro-science, but the point is I don't have to - I can clench my fist even if I've never heard of anatomy, or even of muscles.

I get what you mean here. But I don't see how this is relevant to the question or more specifically your answer to the question. If you don't think that the mind is magical then why are you talking about all the things that we can do and that we don't understand?

From a practical point of view, that makes a lot of sense. It is important for my survival that I know I can clench my fists (and perform other bodily actions), but it is not important I know the neuro-chemistry behind it all.

Yes. Even if it was important that you knew the neuro-chemistry behind it, it still doesn't necessarily mean that you'd be born knowing the neuro-chemistry behind it. It'd just mean that you'd have to learn it from a younger age.

There is neuro-chemistry behind it, but its not part of my innate 'self-image'. That is I don't think of myself as a bag of chemicals, but as an entity with odd and unexplained powers.

Again, this is contradictory to your answer. You view yourself as an entity with odd and unexplained powers, yet you believe that the mind is not magical.

I hope people can see where I a going with this! U=I will stop there to see if it gets any reaction so far....

From what I've read here, I don't think that you meant to answer no. I think you meant yes. Also, you need to make this more relevant to the topic. Why does the fact that you can move your hand just by thinking that you want to magical (or not magical), despite the fact that you don't know the neuro-chemistry behind it?
"Life calls the tune, we dance."
John Galsworthy
keithprosser
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/18/2016 9:34:12 PM
Damn I don't have long to put together a post!

Again, this is contradictory to your answer. You view yourself as an entity with odd and unexplained powers, yet you believe that the mind is not magical.

I intended to say that I have a naive and natural self-image (the one that dominates my real life) which that I am an entity with strange powers. However after thinking about it philosophically about it I do not think powers are magical (not even my powers of free will and consciousness) but are firmly rooted in naturalism. I have two self-images - the innate and the 'intellectual'. I still feel I am an specially empowered entity, but intellectually I know that is wrong.