Jump to topic:

Favorite Thinkers

Cody_Franklin
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/21/2016 12:44:37 AM
Posted: 9 months ago
In this thread, I want to focus specifically on non-western philosophers, scientists, or other prominent intellectual figures. Much of our discourse, for fairly obvious reasons, hinges on our total immersion in the thought of American and European intellectuals. A comparative pittance in attention is paid to e.g., Asian and African thought, and certainly to Arab thought--indeed, exposure to these traditions is often mediated in academia by the establishment of distinct departments and programs. I myself can admit to possessing a pathetic background knowledge on the subject. Instead of integrating influential non-western thinkers directly into a department's set of curricula, they instead are often quietly relegated to a handful of courses in the various ___________ Studies departments.

But this is neither the time nor the place for politics or social justice. In this thread, we pay our respects to those non-western thinkers we admire (or who, at any rate, have had any kind of influence on us).

Immediately springing to my mind are Frantz Fanon, Ibn Khaldun, and Zhuangzi.
R0b1Billion
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/21/2016 1:13:31 AM
"Earth, moon, and stars revolve inside of me."
- Baba Muktananda

""I am" is the name of God. God is none other than the self."
- Ramana Maharshi
Beliefs in a nutshell:
- The Ends never justify the Means.
- Objectivity is secondary to subjectivity.
- The War on Drugs is the worst policy in the U.S.
- Most people worship technology as a religion.
- Computers will never become sentient.
R0b1Billion
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/25/2016 4:34:56 AM
Wow Cody this post is red hot. Lol maybe these new guys don't care about us old timers to the site! Anyway I got one more, sorry they are not more in depth but I haven't studies many Eastern philosophers either.

God sleeps in the rock, dreams in the plant, stirs in the animal, and awakens in man.
-Ibn al'Arabi
Beliefs in a nutshell:
- The Ends never justify the Means.
- Objectivity is secondary to subjectivity.
- The War on Drugs is the worst policy in the U.S.
- Most people worship technology as a religion.
- Computers will never become sentient.
Skepsikyma
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/25/2016 5:50:50 AM
At 2/21/2016 12:44:37 AM, Cody_Franklin wrote:
In this thread, I want to focus specifically on non-western philosophers, scientists, or other prominent intellectual figures. Much of our discourse, for fairly obvious reasons, hinges on our total immersion in the thought of American and European intellectuals. A comparative pittance in attention is paid to e.g., Asian and African thought, and certainly to Arab thought--indeed, exposure to these traditions is often mediated in academia by the establishment of distinct departments and programs. I myself can admit to possessing a pathetic background knowledge on the subject. Instead of integrating influential non-western thinkers directly into a department's set of curricula, they instead are often quietly relegated to a handful of courses in the various ___________ Studies departments.

But this is neither the time nor the place for politics or social justice. In this thread, we pay our respects to those non-western thinkers we admire (or who, at any rate, have had any kind of influence on us).

Khalil Gibran, Ibn Khaldun, Attar of Nishapur, Rabia Basri, Rumi, Yamamoto Tsunetomo, Miyamoto Musashi, Muhammad, Sun Tzu, Laozi, Mozi, Bodhidharma, Siddhartha Gautama, and Chanakya.
"The Collectivist experiment is thoroughly suited (in appearance at least) to the Capitalist society which it proposes to replace. It works with the existing machinery of Capitalism, talks and thinks in the existing terms of Capitalism, appeals to just those appetites which Capitalism has aroused, and ridicules as fantastic and unheard-of just those things in society the memory of which Capitalism has killed among men wherever the blight of it has spread."
- Hilaire Belloc -
Bob13
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/27/2016 5:31:07 PM

Confucius, Al-Kindi, Al-Ghazali, Muhammad Iqbal.
I don't have a signature. :-)
Bob13
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/28/2016 5:10:29 PM
At 2/28/2016 12:17:35 AM, BlueDreams wrote:
Nietzsche, Camus, , Russel, James, Quentin Smith, Shelly Kagan

These are western philosophers.
BlueDreams
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/28/2016 5:23:39 PM
At 2/28/2016 5:10:29 PM, Bob13 wrote:

I know.
Bob13
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/28/2016 5:39:07 PM
At 2/28/2016 5:23:39 PM, BlueDreams wrote:

I know.

This thread is focusing on non-western thinkers.
BlueDreams
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/28/2016 6:00:07 PM
At 2/28/2016 5:39:07 PM, Bob13 wrote:

I know.

I know. I'm making a point.
Bob13
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/28/2016 6:14:02 PM
At 2/28/2016 6:00:07 PM, BlueDreams wrote:

I know.

What point are you trying to make?
BlueDreams
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/28/2016 7:23:35 PM
At 2/28/2016 6:14:02 PM, Bob13 wrote:

I know.

That I don't really care for Eastern philosophy too much.
Fkkize
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/28/2016 9:24:58 PM
At 2/28/2016 7:23:35 PM, BlueDreams wrote:
At 2/28/2016 6:14:02 PM, Bob13 wrote:

I know.

That I don't really care for Eastern philosophy too much.

I mean, I get that western philosophy is, well, focused on western thought, but at least I have not got much out of non-western thinkers.
It seems to me that it's either some nice life advice or esotericism.

However I just might be a total shitlord.
: At 7/2/2016 3:05:07 PM, Rational_Thinker9119 wrote:
:
: space contradicts logic
ShabShoral
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/9/2016 11:56:32 PM
At 2/25/2016 5:50:50 AM, Skepsikyma wrote:

Khalil Gibran

DUDE

A month or so ago I was in a Starbucks and this guy struck up a conversation about philosophy. He went on for TWO HOURS about the most stereotypically woo-stoner-mystic-conspiracy type stuff and he constantly recited Khalil Gibran quotes. He had like 30. EVERY TIME he would introduce him as "Khalil Gibran, Lebanese savant," without fail. I cannot hear that name without thinking of him.
"This site is trash as a debate site. It's club penguin for dysfunctional adults."

~ Skepsikyma <3

"Your idea of good writing is like Spinoza mixed with Heidegger."

~ Dylly Dylly Cat Cat

"You seem to aspire to be a cross between a Jewish hipster, an old school WASP aristocrat, and a political iconoclast"

~ Thett the Mighty

"fvck omg ur face"

~ Liz
Skepsikyma
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/9/2016 11:59:05 PM
At 3/9/2016 11:56:32 PM, ShabShoral wrote:

Khalil Gibran

DUDE

A month or so ago I was in a Starbucks and this guy struck up a conversation about philosophy. He went on for TWO HOURS about the most stereotypically woo-stoner-mystic-conspiracy type stuff and he constantly recited Khalil Gibran quotes. He had like 30. EVERY TIME he would introduce him as "Khalil Gibran, Lebanese savant," without fail. I cannot hear that name without thinking of him.

LOL, 'Lebanese savant'? He was a good poet, but that's a bit excessive.
"The Collectivist experiment is thoroughly suited (in appearance at least) to the Capitalist society which it proposes to replace. It works with the existing machinery of Capitalism, talks and thinks in the existing terms of Capitalism, appeals to just those appetites which Capitalism has aroused, and ridicules as fantastic and unheard-of just those things in society the memory of which Capitalism has killed among men wherever the blight of it has spread."
- Hilaire Belloc -
ShabShoral
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/10/2016 1:14:57 AM
At 3/9/2016 11:59:05 PM, Skepsikyma wrote:

Khalil Gibran

DUDE

This is the guy's blog... he is, by definition, an excessive person.

I dig his taste in fountain pens though.

http://tinyurl.com...
"This site is trash as a debate site. It's club penguin for dysfunctional adults."

~ Skepsikyma <3

~ Dylly Dylly Cat Cat

"You seem to aspire to be a cross between a Jewish hipster, an old school WASP aristocrat, and a political iconoclast"

~ Thett the Mighty

"fvck omg ur face"

~ Liz
ShabShoral
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/12/2016 1:52:26 AM

He was excessive.

https://youtu.be...

~ Skepsikyma <3

~ Dylly Dylly Cat Cat

~ Thett the Mighty

"fvck omg ur face"

~ Liz
Skepsikyma
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/12/2016 1:57:40 AM
At 3/12/2016 1:52:26 AM, ShabShoral wrote:

He was excessive.

I liked the part where he said 'you know'.

LOL, I could see you cringing when he said that he wanted to have his cake and eat it too.
- Hilaire Belloc -
dylancatlow
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/12/2016 2:09:55 AM

Khalil Gibran

DUDE

He's like Johhny Asia's less intelligent, more crazy cousin.
ShabShoral
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/12/2016 2:17:56 AM
At 3/12/2016 1:57:40 AM, Skepsikyma wrote:
At 3/12/2016 1:52:26 AM, ShabShoral wrote:

He was excessive.

I liked the part where he said 'you know'.

LOL, I could see you cringing when he said that he wanted to have his cake and eat it too.

I was totally speechless for the length of this... I just wanted him to keep talking to see what else he could come up with.

~ Skepsikyma <3

~ Dylly Dylly Cat Cat

~ Thett the Mighty

"fvck omg ur face"

~ Liz
CodingSource
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/12/2016 4:42:09 PM
Jose Rizal.
If computers have no doors or fences, who needs Windows and Gates?

I have a 10-0-0 debate record with an ELO ranking of 2,814. From 610th during my first two-week stay, I am now 326th in the Debates Leaderboard: http://www.debate.org...
twocupcakes
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/13/2016 11:18:50 PM
Posted: 8 months ago

I like Nassim Taleb.