Should a Vegan person drink milk?

Deb-8-A-Bull
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/29/2016 9:57:36 AM
Posted: 9 months ago
At 2/29/2016 9:27:04 AM, TREssspa wrote:
Milk is an animal product afterall. But does it harm the cow?

Only to wash down their cheeseburgers.
No vegan has ever drank milk.
Deb-8-A-Bull
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/29/2016 10:00:40 AM
At 2/29/2016 9:57:36 AM, Deb-8-A-Bull wrote:

Only to wash down their cheeseburgers.
No vegan has ever drank milk.

The question is how is this post going to turn in to a Hindu post ?
It going to be the cow god story hey?
philochristos
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/29/2016 11:49:24 AM

I think it would be inconsistent for one to be a vegan and to also drink milk. It seems to me that drinking milk would disqualify somebody from being a vegan. So I don't think it's a matter of should or shouldn't; rather it's a matter of can or can't. Can or can't one be a vegan and drink milk at the same time? I don't think so. That is unless it's a person who is generally a vegan but has a momentary lapse.
"Not to know of what things one should demand demonstration, and of what one should not, argues want of education." ~Aristotle

"It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it." ~Aristotle
autocorrect
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/1/2016 1:59:28 PM
Is this a philosophical question? Maybe it is - I don't mean to be rude. Does it depend upon what you think of Veganism - i.e., that it's a philosophical question if you suppose veganism is based upon a coherent philosophical doctrine, as opposed to fashionable and pretentious twaddle? Okay, that was kind of rude! Sorry. I don't know anything about the theory of veganism. If everyone adopted it, wouldn't we get over-run by stray cows?
Fkkize
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/1/2016 5:05:45 PM

For a cow to give milk it, just as humans, has to be pregnant. Since people want/ need the money, they constantly artificially impregnate cows to do that.
That is to harm the animal.

Of course, that does not exclude the possibility of vegan milk, as long as veganism is not understood as a fashion or mere dietary choice, but as an ethical standpoint, since it is very much possible to obtain milk from cows without harming them. It's just not lucrative.
: At 7/2/2016 3:05:07 PM, Rational_Thinker9119 wrote:
:
: space contradicts logic
tejretics
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/2/2016 10:49:37 AM

The abuse that cattle undergo in factory farms - artificial impregnation, injection of hormones, and often abusive treatment - is the primary reasons vegans abstain from milk. It is possible, and there are such companies that do so, to obtain milk without harming the cow, but it isn't profitable for factory farms. In my opinion, the governments should impose strict regulations on factory farms; it would help animal welfare and wouldn't actually compromise food security.
"Where justice is denied, where poverty is enforced, where ignorance prevails, and where any one class is made to feel that society is an organized conspiracy to oppress, rob and degrade them, neither persons nor property will be safe." - Frederick Douglass
autocorrect
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/2/2016 2:05:58 PM
At 3/2/2016 10:49:37 AM, tejretics wrote:

The abuse that cattle undergo in factory farms - artificial impregnation, injection of hormones, and often abusive treatment - is the primary reasons vegans abstain from milk. It is possible, and there are such companies that do so, to obtain milk without harming the cow, but it isn't profitable for factory farms. In my opinion, the governments should impose strict regulations on factory farms; it would help animal welfare and wouldn't actually compromise food security.

Abuse is a loaded term - and as ill-defined as your use of the word 'strict.' Veganism presupposes that farming animals for food in any way is 'abusive' - so how can there be regulations on farming that would be satisfactory to vegans? IMO, vegans abdicate from the reality that animals eat eachother - and therefore from the responsibility to minimize suffering. They have nothing relevant to say on the matter.
Godgirl
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/14/2016 11:11:13 PM
Posted: 8 months ago

You literally can't drink milk and still be a vegan.