Jump to topic:

Canibalism - raw or cooked?

autocorrect
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/3/2016 3:19:11 PM
Posted: 9 months ago
In 1972, Roberto Canessa was one of 45 people aboard a plane that crashed high in the Andes mountains. Twelve were killed in the crash, six died in the next few days, and 11 more perished due to the lack of food and harsh conditions they faced. Those who were left ate the bodies of the dead in order to have any chance of living long enough to be rescued.

Most people have heard this story before - but thinking about this, I imagined that if it were a matter of life and death that someone needed to 'desecrate my corpse' so to speak - for food, I'd rather I was something they could enjoy eating - not exactly sweetbreads flambed in Almanac, but a thigh steak roasted on a spit!

Similarly, if I had to eat human flesh to survive, I think I would definitely want to cook it. While there may be something indecent about sitting around the fire salivating at the prospect of roast human, I've always thought of other people as a bit 'buggy' - and I would certainly want to kill off anything they might be harbouring before I chowed down.

Would you eat human, and if so - what body part would you choose, and would you have it raw or cooked?
If not, why not?
autocorrect
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/6/2016 4:44:44 AM
No-one up for this? You would all perish because you refused to eat human flesh. And I would then eat your brains - sauted in herb butter, and washed down with a dry white wine. Mwaa...hahaha!
Emgaol
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/6/2016 8:25:11 AM
At 3/6/2016 4:44:44 AM, autocorrect wrote:
No-one up for this? You would all perish because you refused to eat human flesh. And I would then eat your brains - sauted in herb butter, and washed down with a dry white wine. Mwaa...hahaha!
I think it would depend on where we were. In the high Andes with snow cover, the bodies could be kept frozen, giving us (you) time to consider. If we were on a small wooden lifeboat becalmed in a great ocean, in the tropics, time is not your friend. I would start rotting very quickly.
So, cooked and very well done, none of this rare or medium rare stuff.
As I'm older than you, I hereby give my permission for you to eat whatever bits you like.
Me, I'd avoid the offal unless you've removed the intestines and stomach very early after death.
autocorrect
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/6/2016 10:35:10 AM
At 3/6/2016 8:25:11 AM, Emgaol wrote:
I think it would depend on where we were. In the high Andes with snow cover, the bodies could be kept frozen, giving us (you) time to consider. If we were on a small wooden lifeboat becalmed in a great ocean, in the tropics, time is not your friend. I would start rotting very quickly.
As I'm older than you, I hereby give my permission for you to eat whatever bits you like.
Me, I'd avoid the offal unless you've removed the intestines and stomach very early after death.

Thank you for the kind offer and sage advice. However, if becalmed in the tropics - I would use you as bait; such that your all too soon pungent flesh were a positive boon in attracting fish to the lifeboat. The fish, I would eat raw!
Emgaol
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/6/2016 10:37:24 AM
At 3/6/2016 10:35:10 AM, autocorrect wrote:

Thank you for the kind offer and sage advice. However, if becalmed in the tropics - I would use you as bait; such that your all too soon pungent flesh were a positive boon in attracting fish to the lifeboat. The fish, I would eat raw!
Fair enough, but would you eat any part of me just in case the fish don't like me?
autocorrect
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/6/2016 10:44:21 AM
At 3/6/2016 10:37:24 AM, Emgaol wrote:
At 3/6/2016 10:35:10 AM, autocorrect wrote:

Fair enough, but would you eat any part of me just in case the fish don't like me?

I somehow imagine, even in the heat - brains would keep quite well - until opened!
Emgaol
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/6/2016 10:48:02 AM
At 3/6/2016 10:44:21 AM, autocorrect wrote:

I somehow imagine, even in the heat - brains would keep quite well - until opened!

Yeah, that's fine. I was just a bit worried that you might cut pieces off me while I was still alive, then bandage me up so I don't lose too much blood. Then tomorrow cut off some more. etc. I don't think I'd like that.
Nah, that wouldn't be nice.
autocorrect
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/6/2016 10:53:49 AM
At 3/6/2016 10:48:02 AM, Emgaol wrote:

Yeah, that's fine. I was just a bit worried that you might cut pieces off me while I was still alive, then bandage me up so I don't lose too much blood. Then tomorrow cut off some more. etc. I don't think I'd like that.

We could take turns - your leg today, my leg tomorrow! Pull back into port, just two fat heads in a boat!
Emgaol
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/6/2016 11:02:45 AM
At 3/6/2016 10:53:49 AM, autocorrect wrote:

We could take turns - your leg today, my leg tomorrow! Pull back into port, just two fat heads in a boat!
HaHaHaHa. What a sight!
But it does fascinate me the number of cases of cannibalism that have been reported.
Most people squirm at the thought, but I believe if it's a matter of life or death then so be it.
Mind you, there have been cases where an attempted cannibalism has occurred where the "dinner" was simply killed, not because of necessity but because of hatred.

See now I've ruined it we were having such a laugh. Sorry.
autocorrect
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/6/2016 3:10:18 PM
At 3/6/2016 11:02:45 AM, Emgaol wrote:

HaHaHaHa. What a sight!
But it does fascinate me the number of cases of cannibalism that have been reported.
Most people squirm at the thought, but I believe if it's a matter of life or death then so be it.
Mind you, there have been cases where an attempted cannibalism has occurred where the "dinner" was simply killed, not because of necessity but because of hatred.

I'm not sure the consent of the 'dinner' makes it any better. It is creepy, but I don't know why it should be so. Did you know, the guy from the Andes - Roberto Canessa - was inspired by his experiences to become a doctor. A cardiologist no less. My serious question is do you think he's seeking to atone for the perceived sin of having eaten people? My less than serious question is, if there's bits and pieces left over after surgery... do you think he's like... 'hmm, lunch!'?
sadolite
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/6/2016 3:23:13 PM
I remember a discussion about feeding abortions to the hungry and how anything can be made palatable and no one would know the difference. You can make hot dogs out of anything, people will still eat them.
It's not your views that divide us, it's what you think my views should be that divides us.

If you think I will give up my rights and forsake social etiquette to make you "FEEL" better you are sadly mistaken

If liberal democrats would just stop shooting people gun violence would drop by 90%
autocorrect
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/6/2016 4:16:01 PM
At 3/6/2016 4:05:40 PM, Hayd wrote:
This isn't philosophy, it belongs in the personal forum.

When I posted Canibalism - I knocked 'people who say 'bro' is black' into second place, and 'should a vegan person fly in a plane?' into third. Maybe it's you who don't belong Hayd!
autocorrect
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/6/2016 4:28:07 PM
At 3/6/2016 3:23:13 PM, sadolite wrote:
I remember a discussion about feeding abortions to the hungry and how anything can be made palatable and no one would know the difference. You can make hot dogs out of anything, people will still eat them.

No doubt. It's just meat after-all. The interesting question is if people would eat them if the product was clearly labelled:

Ingredients: meat from humans (32%), hydrogenated flour, corn starch, dextrose, salt..,

and they were called 'Baby Franks'!!
Deb-8-A-Bull
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/6/2016 4:34:15 PM
Ok then I'll say it.
Everyone thinks it , and the 1st thing that comes to mind is a slice of buttocks.

The way I like my man meat is
Left side buttocks
Medium to we'll done , I got this special marinade blend I make for my man meat. I call it. Man made marinade I made for marinating man meat . It's a treat. Salt and pepper. And to wash it down to large cups of ice cold coke.
And for dessert, to keep on the buttocks theme, I'll go a large bowl of choc mousse.
Please.

I'll give ya a tip , if you like your , sirloin, or rib eye , you are going to love man meat .
I admit it is expensive, Butt you won't ever eat a better meat.
Hit me back if you want the recipe for that marinade. Peace
autocorrect
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/6/2016 5:01:30 PM
At 3/6/2016 4:34:15 PM, Deb-8-A-Bull wrote:
Ok then I'll say it.
Everyone thinks it , and the 1st thing that comes to mind is a slice of buttocks.

The way I like my man meat is
Left side buttocks
Medium to we'll done , I got this special marinade blend I make for my man meat. I call it. Man made marinade I made for marinating man meat . It's a treat. Salt and pepper. And to wash it down to large cups of ice cold coke.
And for dessert, to keep on the buttocks theme, I'll go a large bowl of choc mousse.
Please.

I'll give ya a tip , if you like your , sirloin, or rib eye , you are going to love man meat .
I admit it is expensive, Butt you won't ever eat a better meat.
Hit me back if you want the recipe for that marinade. Peace

Buttocks are a juicy cut - plenty of meat with a nice layer of yellow fat that will go all crispy on the grill. And the chocolate mouse - symbolic of faeces. Yum! But Coke??? That stuff is nasty!
Emgaol
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/6/2016 6:24:19 PM
At 3/6/2016 3:10:18 PM, autocorrect wrote:

HaHaHaHa. What a sight!

I'm not sure the consent of the 'dinner' makes it any better. It is creepy, but I don't know why it should be so. Did you know, the guy from the Andes - Roberto Canessa - was inspired by his experiences to become a doctor. A cardiologist no less. My serious question is do you think he's seeking to atone for the perceived sin of having eaten people? My less than serious question is, if there's bits and pieces left over after surgery... do you think he's like... 'hmm, lunch!'?
As I understand it, he was a 19 year old medical student at the time of the crash. If so, then no, I don't think he was seeking atonement. I can only imagine what he might have gone through once he was back in "civilization".
Yeah :) I'd doubt he'd be visiting the morgue to fill up his fridge at home.
There are other cases like Katherine Knight. (Warning, it's truly gruesome, so be careful looking it up on wikipedia).
But where it's a matter of life or death as with the plane crash survivors, I think it's excusable, provided he didn't kill someone for their meat.
autocorrect
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/6/2016 6:56:15 PM
At 3/6/2016 6:24:19 PM, Emgaol wrote:
At 3/6/2016 3:10:18 PM, autocorrect wrote:

HaHaHaHa. What a sight!

As I understand it, he was a 19 year old medical student at the time of the crash. If so, then no, I don't think he was seeking atonement. I can only imagine what he might have gone through once he was back in "civilization".
Yeah :) I'd doubt he'd be visiting the morgue to fill up his fridge at home.
There are other cases like Katherine Knight. (Warning, it's truly gruesome, so be careful looking it up on wikipedia).
But where it's a matter of life or death as with the plane crash survivors, I think it's excusable, provided he didn't kill someone for their meat.

And unsurprisingly, we find ourselves in agreement. If it's a matter of survival - there's no crime. I'm having a debate elsewhere about morality - and the contention is that everyone knows murder is morally wrong. Jokes aside for the moment, canibalism too is morally wrong - and we know this instinctively.

The case of Katherine Knight makes for interesting reading. The fact that she tried to feed her children the corpse of the man she murdered - seems to me to be an attempt to share the blame, and the note is similarly, a means of displacing blame. Psychotic and clumsy of course, but not unlike the nanny in Moscow who killed and beheaded a child in her charge, and then claimed Allah told her to do it. Displacement of responsibility - not in order to get away with it, but as a psychological defence - to prevent her from having to face the reality of what she'd done.

And this is why morality cannot dictate our actions; because sometimes, we have to do things that are morally repugnant to survive - like, plane crash in the Andes, eating human flesh.

I have to go now. It's dinner time. Just for the record, I'm having chicken.
Mhykiel
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/7/2016 3:27:09 AM
At 3/3/2016 3:19:11 PM, autocorrect wrote:
In 1972, Roberto Canessa was one of 45 people aboard a plane that crashed high in the Andes mountains. Twelve were killed in the crash, six died in the next few days, and 11 more perished due to the lack of food and harsh conditions they faced. Those who were left ate the bodies of the dead in order to have any chance of living long enough to be rescued.

Most people have heard this story before - but thinking about this, I imagined that if it were a matter of life and death that someone needed to 'desecrate my corpse' so to speak - for food, I'd rather I was something they could enjoy eating - not exactly sweetbreads flambed in Almanac, but a thigh steak roasted on a spit!

Similarly, if I had to eat human flesh to survive, I think I would definitely want to cook it. While there may be something indecent about sitting around the fire salivating at the prospect of roast human, I've always thought of other people as a bit 'buggy' - and I would certainly want to kill off anything they might be harbouring before I chowed down.

Would you eat human, and if so - what body part would you choose, and would you have it raw or cooked?
If not, why not?

As I understand it smokers when cooked taste close to pork. And the taste is off putting to cannibals who want the real flavor
Emgaol
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/7/2016 4:20:54 PM
At 3/7/2016 3:27:09 AM, Mhykiel wrote:

As I understand it smokers when cooked taste close to pork. And the taste is off putting to cannibals who want the real flavor
Hi Mhykiel,
If smokers taste like pork, have you heard what non-smokers taste like?

Actually, I was also wondering; If you were one of the survivors of the Andes plane crash, would you have participated in the cannibalism?
I think I would have, but then I'm an apatheist.
Mhykiel
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/8/2016 2:51:20 AM
At 3/7/2016 4:20:54 PM, Emgaol wrote:

Hi Mhykiel,

I haven't heard any anecdotes on what non smoker flesh tastes like. I guess like chicken.

Actually, I was also wondering; If you were one of the survivors of the Andes plane crash, would you have participated in the cannibalism?

I don't see what Atheist Theist has to do with it. I'm of the older adage it is better to throw a dead body away than garbage.

But I see that there are many reasons for a person to abstain. In which case they should follow thee conscience. Personally I don't imagine myself having great difficulty eating frozen to death passengers.
Emgaol
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/8/2016 3:54:15 AM
At 3/8/2016 2:51:20 AM, Mhykiel wrote:
At 3/7/2016 4:20:54 PM, Emgaol wrote:

Hi Mhykiel,

I haven't heard any anecdotes on what non smoker flesh tastes like. I guess like chicken.

I don't see what Atheist Theist has to do with it.
Yeah, me neither, that's why I thought I'd ask. :)
I'm of the older adage it is better to throw a dead body away than garbage.

But I see that there are many reasons for a person to abstain. In which case they should follow thee conscience.
Sounds fair enough to me. Thanks for replying.
Personally I don't imagine myself having great difficulty eating frozen to death passengers.
autocorrect
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/9/2016 12:27:04 AM
Please pardon my brief absence - new computer. Still getting used to it. So much has changed since last I updated - it's like starting over. Windows 10. 15.6' touchscreen... DON'T... TOUCH IT! And wow, is it fast? It is ...see! No? Well that was fast, believe me.

I don't know if smokers taste smokey - (multi tab browsing..). or like pork! How on earth do you know this Mhykiel? And do you mean smokers taste like smokey bacon - because I understand from transplant surgery, the humans and pigs are genetically quite similar. Oink Oink!