Jump to topic:

The Ethics of House, M.D.

tejretics
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/5/2016 1:34:57 PM
Posted: 9 months ago
I've seen many TV shows, films, and video games being turned into debates about the ethical principles that hold within them. Most famous by far is bsh1's "Ethics of Star Trek" series. Zaradi also started a one about a video game.

House, M.D., also holds a vast number of ethical questions - bioethical questions (e.g. should a woman have an abortion if that is the only way to donate an organ to her husband, if her husband doesn't wish it to be?) and questions about basic normative ethics (e.g. should Chase not have allowed Dibala's death?). I think it has a lot to debate about. The Chase-Dibala issue [see: http://house.wikia.com...] is one that would make for an excellent debate as well.

What do you think?
"Where justice is denied, where poverty is enforced, where ignorance prevails, and where any one class is made to feel that society is an organized conspiracy to oppress, rob and degrade them, neither persons nor property will be safe." - Frederick Douglass
Dookieman
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/6/2016 3:53:50 AM
At 3/5/2016 1:34:57 PM, tejretics wrote:
I've seen many TV shows, films, and video games being turned into debates about the ethical principles that hold within them. Most famous by far is bsh1's "Ethics of Star Trek" series. Zaradi also started a one about a video game.

House, M.D., also holds a vast number of ethical questions - bioethical questions (e.g. should a woman have an abortion if that is the only way to donate an organ to her husband, if her husband doesn't wish it to be?) and questions about basic normative ethics (e.g. should Chase not have allowed Dibala's death?). I think it has a lot to debate about. The Chase-Dibala issue [see: http://house.wikia.com...] is one that would make for an excellent debate as well.

What do you think?

I totally agree. I think there was also an episode where a vegetarian woman was confronted with the option of taking an organ from a pig so she could remain fertile or having a plastic tube instead but becoming infertile. Even I was a little puzzled by that situation.
tejretics
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/6/2016 4:02:34 AM
At 3/6/2016 3:53:50 AM, Dookieman wrote:
I totally agree. I think there was also an episode where a vegetarian woman was confronted with the option of taking an organ from a pig so she could remain fertile or having a plastic tube instead but becoming infertile. Even I was a little puzzled by that situation.

Yep, I saw that. She wasn't a vegetarian, she was a pescetarian actually - she just claimed she was a vegetarian.

This scenario would make for an awesome debate, it would turn into egoism vs util.
"Where justice is denied, where poverty is enforced, where ignorance prevails, and where any one class is made to feel that society is an organized conspiracy to oppress, rob and degrade them, neither persons nor property will be safe." - Frederick Douglass
Dookieman
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/6/2016 4:06:50 AM
At 3/6/2016 4:02:34 AM, tejretics wrote:
At 3/6/2016 3:53:50 AM, Dookieman wrote:

Yep, I saw that. She wasn't a vegetarian, she was a pescetarian actually - she just claimed she was a vegetarian.

This scenario would make for an awesome debate, it would turn into egoism vs util.

I think in that situation we have to ask ourselves whether it would be permissible to kill a human at a similar mental level to the pig to harvest its organs for transplant.
tejretics
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/6/2016 4:08:27 AM
At 3/6/2016 4:06:50 AM, Dookieman wrote:
I think in that situation we have to ask ourselves whether it would be permissible to kill a human at a similar mental level to the pig to harvest its organs for transplant.

In fact, when utilitarian arguments for animal testing are brought up, I often ponder about "human testing" as being more beneficial via utilitarianism, since util doesn't distinguish between animal and human morally, and human testing would probably save more lives of humans. It would make for a controversial debate (I don't have a position on it, though).
Dookieman
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/6/2016 4:12:24 AM
At 3/6/2016 4:08:27 AM, tejretics wrote:
At 3/6/2016 4:06:50 AM, Dookieman wrote:

In fact, when utilitarian arguments for animal testing are brought up, I often ponder about "human testing" as being more beneficial via utilitarianism, since util doesn't distinguish between animal and human morally, and human testing would probably save more lives of humans. It would make for a controversial debate (I don't have a position on it, though).

There are utilitarians like R.G. Frey who actually think medical testing on marginal humans would be permissible.