Jump to topic:

Philosophical Scenario #1

famousdebater
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/7/2016 6:47:00 PM
Posted: 9 months ago
You are an inmate in a concentration camp. A sadistic guard is about to hang your son who tried to escape and wants you to pull the chair from underneath him. He says that if you don"t he will not only kill your son but some other innocent inmate as well. You don"t have any doubt that he means what he says. What should you do?
"Life calls the tune, we dance."
John Galsworthy
Obbe
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/7/2016 7:05:09 PM
At 3/7/2016 6:47:00 PM, famousdebater wrote:
You are an inmate in a concentration camp. A sadistic guard is about to hang your son who tried to escape and wants you to pull the chair from underneath him. He says that if you don"t he will not only kill your son but some other innocent inmate as well. You don"t have any doubt that he means what he says. What should you do?

I believe the question itself is flawed. There is nothing you should do - rather, you will do whatever seems to be the only thing you can do at the time based on a variety of thought processes which will vary from person to person. For example, some people would attempt to somehow save their son, despite consequences. Some people would attack the guard. Some people would have an emotional breakdown and would be unable to do anything. Man can do what he wills but he cannot will what he wills. For this reason I do not believe there is a right or wrong course of action. Every single unique way different people would react to this situation is the only possible way in which they could have reacted to this situation, so the more interesting question in my opinion is whether or not they should be blamed for they reacted.
famousdebater
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/7/2016 7:11:50 PM
At 3/7/2016 7:05:09 PM, Obbe wrote:

I believe the question itself is flawed. There is nothing you should do - rather, you will do whatever seems to be the only thing you can do at the time based on a variety of thought processes which will vary from person to person. For example, some people would attempt to somehow save their son, despite consequences. Some people would attack the guard. Some people would have an emotional breakdown and would be unable to do anything. Man can do what he wills but he cannot will what he wills. For this reason I do not believe there is a right or wrong course of action. Every single unique way different people would react to this situation is the only possible way in which they could have reacted to this situation, so the more interesting question in my opinion is whether or not they should be blamed for they reacted.

View the scenario however you like. View it as "what will you do" if you like however I'd prefer it if you stuck to those two scenarios. What decision do you think would be the best one to make. If you a moral nihilist and don't believe in intrinsic morals then try to think from the moral point of view. If you had a child would you kill them just to stall the death of another. Or would you have no blood on your hands and just allow the your son to be killed by the guard and the innocent too?
John Galsworthy
Obbe
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/7/2016 7:20:56 PM
At 3/7/2016 7:11:50 PM, famousdebater wrote:
View the scenario however you like. View it as "what will you do" if you like however I'd prefer it if you stuck to those two scenarios. What decision do you think would be the best one to make. If you a moral nihilist and don't believe in intrinsic morals then try to think from the moral point of view. If you had a child would you kill them just to stall the death of another. Or would you have no blood on your hands and just allow the your son to be killed by the guard and the innocent too?

I honestly don't know what I would do. I don't believe anyone who says otherwise is really being honest. I can tell you that in my opinion there is no "best decision" out of those options. What do you think is the "best" decision out of the options in your proposal? What makes it better than the other option?
famousdebater
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/7/2016 7:23:51 PM
At 3/7/2016 7:20:56 PM, Obbe wrote:
At 3/7/2016 7:11:50 PM, famousdebater wrote:

I honestly don't know what I would do. I don't believe anyone who says otherwise is really being honest. I can tell you that in my opinion there is no "best decision" out of those options. What do you think is the "best" decision out of the options in your proposal? What makes it better than the other option?

You're a moral nihilist right? If you are then this question isn't really applicable to you.
John Galsworthy
Chloe8
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/7/2016 7:25:26 PM

I would ask the guard to hang me instead of my son. Depending on his response to this I would either be hung or forced to kill my son to avoid any extra fatalities.
"I don't need experience.to knock you out. I'm a man. that's all I need to beat you and any woman."

Fatihah, in his delusion that he could knock out any woman while bragging about being able to knock me out. An example of 7th century Islamic thinking inspired by his hero the paedophile Muhammad.
Obbe
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/7/2016 7:34:26 PM
At 3/7/2016 7:23:51 PM, famousdebater wrote:

You're a moral nihilist right? If you are then this question isn't really applicable to you.

I don't really know what I am, but if that's how I seem to be to you then you can call me that if you wish. I think this question is perfectly applicable to me, and I think my opinion raises a valid point: if people will react in the only way they can react (be it kicking the chair, refusal to cooperate, self-sacrifice, etc etc) should we really blame them for whatever their reaction is? Should we really judge someone morally for how they reacted in such a difficult situation considering their reaction is no more of a choice than hunger is, and considering that it doesn't really matter how they reacted in the long run?
famousdebater
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/7/2016 7:46:32 PM
At 3/7/2016 7:25:26 PM, Chloe8 wrote:

I would ask the guard to hang me instead of my son. Depending on his response to this I would either be hung or forced to kill my son to avoid any extra fatalities.

Let's say that he answered no. Your son tried to escape not you. He's being punished because of his actions. Why would you kill your son? That means that the blood is on your hands. Wouldn't you rather have more casualties than have one less casualty and have blood on your hands?
John Galsworthy
Chloe8
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/7/2016 7:53:08 PM
At 3/7/2016 7:46:32 PM, famousdebater wrote:

Let's say that he answered no. Your son tried to escape not you. He's being punished because of his actions. Why would you kill your son? That means that the blood is on your hands. Wouldn't you rather have more casualties than have one less casualty and have blood on your hands?

Fair enough. I would come to the conclusion that my sons death is inevitable and as I can do nothing to prevent it the only thing I can do is to prevent further deaths. I would feel awful whatever I did but at least I would know my actions saved the lives of innocent people.
"I don't need experience.to knock you out. I'm a man. that's all I need to beat you and any woman."

Fatihah, in his delusion that he could knock out any woman while bragging about being able to knock me out. An example of 7th century Islamic thinking inspired by his hero the paedophile Muhammad.
Bob13
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/7/2016 10:29:19 PM

Are there any guards other than the one mentioned?
What weapons do the guards have?
How many inmates are in the concentration camp?
What is the physical condition of the inmates?
How large is the camp?
Why are the inmates in the camp?
I don't have a signature. :-)
Hayd
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/8/2016 12:25:53 AM

I'd attack the guard and save my son and then become a spy for their enemies and assinate political leaders until the entire organization comes crashing down. Then I will retire nicely with government compensations and join a bridge club where I live out the rest of my days talking and drinking with friends.

I'm kidding, the scenario only had two options. Kill your son, or kill your son and another inmate. I would choose the latter, unless the innocent inmate he has chosen has given up and wants to die anyways. That way I am doing him a favor and not having to kill my son by my own hands.
Mhykiel
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/8/2016 2:07:43 AM

I don't see any conflict.

If I have no real options, my sons death inevitable then I will pull the chair to save some life
chui
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/8/2016 11:59:42 AM
At 3/7/2016 7:46:32 PM, famousdebater wrote:

Let's say that he answered no. Your son tried to escape not you.

So this sadistic concentration camp guard is going to engage in polite conversation with the untermensch!

He's being punished because of his actions. Why would you kill your son? That means that the blood is on your hands. Wouldn't you rather have more casualties than have one less casualty and have blood on your hands?
famousdebater
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/8/2016 3:51:59 PM
At 3/8/2016 2:07:43 AM, Mhykiel wrote:

If I have no real options, my sons death inevitable then I will pull the chair to save some life

But it can be detrimental to people's mind and self esteem. Could you honestly kill your own son and have that blood on your hands?
John Galsworthy
famousdebater
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/8/2016 3:54:42 PM
At 3/8/2016 12:25:53 AM, Hayd wrote:
I'm kidding, the scenario only had two options. Kill your son, or kill your son and another inmate. I would choose the latter, unless the innocent inmate he has chosen has given up and wants to die anyways. That way I am doing him a favor and not having to kill my son by my own hands.

You'd really be willing to have your son's blood on your hands. Can you honestly say that you'd be able to kill your own son in that scenario?
John Galsworthy
Mhykiel
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/8/2016 5:28:30 PM
At 3/8/2016 3:51:59 PM, famousdebater wrote:
At 3/8/2016 2:07:43 AM, Mhykiel wrote:

But it can be detrimental to people's mind and self esteem. Could you honestly kill your own son and have that blood on your hands?

It's amazing what you can do when you have to do it
TheFlex
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/8/2016 6:24:59 PM

Attack the guard, reason with the guard, sacrifice myself -- any option to save my son and not put others at risk. Under no circumstance am I pulling that chair out myself or in anyway contributing directly to the death of my son.
famousdebater
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/8/2016 6:27:12 PM
At 3/8/2016 6:24:59 PM, TheFlex wrote:

Attack the guard, reason with the guard, sacrifice myself -- any option to save my son and not put others at risk. Under no circumstance am I pulling that chair out myself or in anyway contributing directly to the death of my son.

Let's say that you can't do any of this. You only have one of these choices.
John Galsworthy
Vaarka
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/8/2016 6:28:13 PM

This reminds me of some hunterxhunter seen

There are four people (three are in one group, the fourth is following them alone). They come upon a woman sitting in the path, and they say they can only truly pass if they answer her question right (he can only give an answer of [1] or [2]), but they only have 5 seconds to answer. The lone follower jumps in and is asked the first question.

"Your mother and your lover were kidnapped. You go to save them, but find out you can only save one of them. Which one will you save?"

The man answers, "My mother, because you can always find another lover, but you will only have one mother!"

The woman steps out of the way of the path and lets him continue. Then, the group of three approach, and she asks a similar question.

"Your daughter and son, both of whom you love very much, are kidnapped. You go to save them, but find out you can only save one of them. Which child do you save? Your daughter, or your son?"

One of the group members knows the answer, but is forbidden to tell them what it is. The other two try to figure it out, one of them almost losing his cool because he is running out of time. When the five seconds run out, he attempts to try and attack her so they can pass, but the third member (the one who knew the answer) stopped him.

The woman then explains that you can't answer, so the only thing they can do is not say anything. Therefore, they were allowed to pass, though not on the same trail as the one following them, but on the actual trail to where they were going.

Your questions reminded me a lot of this scene.
You're probably thinking right now "haha I'm a genius". Well you're not -Valkrin

inferno: "I don't know, are you attracted to women?"
ButterCatX: "No, Vaarka is mine!"

All hail scum Vaarka, wielder of the bastard sword, smiter of nations, destroyer of spiders -VOT

"Vaarka, I've been thinking about this for a long time now," (pulls out small box made of macaroni) "W-will you be my noodle buddy?" -Kirigaya
TheFlex
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/8/2016 6:29:37 PM
At 3/8/2016 6:27:12 PM, famousdebater wrote:

I pull the chair and kill my son, or I don't pull the chair and the guard kills my son along with s0meone else? If this is what you're talking about I still don't pull the chair.
Vaarka
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/8/2016 6:31:20 PM
At 3/8/2016 6:28:13 PM, Vaarka wrote:

This reminds me of some hunterxhunter seen

There are four people (three are in one group, the fourth is following them alone). They come upon a woman sitting in the path, and she* says they can only truly pass if they answer her question right (he can only give an answer of [1] or [2]), but they only have 5 seconds to answer. The lone follower jumps in and is asked the first question.

"Your mother and your lover, both of whom you love very much, were kidnapped. You go to save them, but find out you can only save one of them. Which one will you save? Your mother, or your lover?"

The man answers, "My mother, because you can always find another lover, but you can only have one mother!"

The woman steps out of the way of the path and lets him continue. Then, the group of three approach, and she asks a similar question.

"Your daughter and son, both of whom you love very much, are kidnapped. You go to save them, but find out you can only save one of them. Which child do you save? Your daughter, or your son?"

One of the group members knows the answer, but is forbidden to tell them what it is. The other two try to figure it out, one of them almost losing his cool because he is running out of time. When the five seconds run out, he attempts to try and attack her so they can pass, but the third member (the one who knew the answer) stopped him.

The woman then explains that you can't answer, so the only thing they can do is not say anything. Therefore, they were allowed to pass, though not on the same trail as the one following them, but on the actual trail to where they were going.

Your questions reminded me a lot of this scene.

fix'd
You're probably thinking right now "haha I'm a genius". Well you're not -Valkrin

All hail scum Vaarka, wielder of the bastard sword, smiter of nations, destroyer of spiders -VOT

"Vaarka, I've been thinking about this for a long time now," (pulls out small box made of macaroni) "W-will you be my noodle buddy?" -Kirigaya
famousdebater
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/8/2016 6:31:25 PM
At 3/8/2016 6:29:37 PM, TheFlex wrote:

I pull the chair and kill my son, or I don't pull the chair and the guard kills my son along with s0meone else? If this is what you're talking about I still don't pull the chair.

Okay. You're the first person that has said that they wouldn't pull the chair and I believe that you're the only person that's being entirely honest. I doubt that anybody could actually pull the chair just to save another life.
John Galsworthy
TheFlex
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/8/2016 6:33:02 PM
At 3/8/2016 6:31:25 PM, famousdebater wrote:

Okay. You're the first person that has said that they wouldn't pull the chair and I believe that you're the only person that's being entirely honest. I doubt that anybody could actually pull the chair just to save another life.

Yeah, I'm 100% confident in my answer too -- especially since I have a son. That child redefined the definition of love for me the instant he was born.
famousdebater
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/8/2016 6:35:15 PM
At 3/8/2016 6:33:02 PM, TheFlex wrote:
At 3/8/2016 6:31:25 PM, famousdebater wrote:

Yeah, I'm 100% confident in my answer too -- especially since I have a son. That child redefined the definition of love for me the instant he was born.

I'm sure that almost all people that actually have children would answer in that way too.
John Galsworthy
TheFlex
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/8/2016 6:41:21 PM
At 3/8/2016 6:35:15 PM, famousdebater wrote:

I'm sure that almost all people that actually have children would answer in that way too.

I'm inclined to agree with you here. There's only a couple of scenarios I see myself actually pulling the chair and that's if my son grew up to be a despicable person like a serial killer for example.
Vaarka
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/8/2016 6:41:42 PM
Wait, what if you happen to be the other innocent inmate?

famousdebater
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/8/2016 8:53:24 PM
At 3/8/2016 8:05:16 PM, EndarkenedRationalist wrote:
The flaw in this scenario is that you keep asserting that the son's blood will be on your hands when it's really not.

I agree that it's debatable but the question isn't about whether it is or not in actuality. It is about whether you will feel as if it is. If you pulled the chair then many people will feel extremely guilty.
John Galsworthy
famousdebater
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/8/2016 8:54:55 PM
At 3/8/2016 6:41:42 PM, Vaarka wrote:
Wait, what if you happen to be the other innocent inmate?

Doesn't really make a difference does it? Most parents would sacrifice their life for their child.
John Galsworthy
famousdebater
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/8/2016 9:16:51 PM
At 3/8/2016 6:41:21 PM, TheFlex wrote:
At 3/8/2016 6:35:15 PM, famousdebater wrote:

I'm inclined to agree with you here. There's only a couple of scenarios I see myself actually pulling the chair and that's if my son grew up to be a despicable person like a serial killer for example.

Really? Wouldn't you hand him in to the police rather than kill him in that scenario?
John Galsworthy