Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/12/2016 3:30:17 PM
Posted: 9 months ago
At 3/11/2016 3:13:12 PM, UtherPenguin wrote:
Thoughts?
--->

On the serious side though; if an exact copy of you in transported to another place it still is you. There has to be a difference; yet by quantam mechanics (an special relativity [time]), there will always be a difference (will never be an exact copy). Thus yes, it is not you.
autocorrect
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/12/2016 5:20:36 PM
If you step into the transporter and die - and someone else very like you, who believes they are you, is simultaneously created elsewhere - does it matter? I'm not sure it does; precisely because we loose consciousness all the time. If I went to sleep in my bed and woke up elsewhere - how would I know I was the real me? Because I remember me - my life, my thoughts and feelings. So it's the same.
n7
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/13/2016 2:37:58 AM
The video doesn't deal with a majority of theories of personal identity. The closest continuer, perdurantist, psychological, and even physical theories are sidestepped. The transported person on the other side would be the closest continuer to you and therefore be you. Under perduranism since what it means to be "you" exists throughout time, you would still exist being transported because nothing changes temporally. Under psychological theories, whatever is psychologically continues to you, is you. And under physical continuity theories, since the person on the away mission is physically continues with you, it is you.

Granted, some of these theories can't handle transporter malfunctions like the Tom Riker and Tuvix problems, but some can. Under perduranism, a malfunction would mean the entities share a "time worm" one has the original and one has the offshoot (or in the case of Tuvix, one time worm formed from two others and split again). With physical continuity, one would be an offshoot of your original self and one would be the original you.

Also, if I'm not mistaken, the first person transporter scenes on Star Trek show an unbroken stream of consciousness. So it would have to be you if we are dealing with the lore.
404 coherent debate topic not found. Please restart the debate with clear resolution.

Uphold Marxist-Leninist-Maoist-Sargonist-n7ism.
DPMartin
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/19/2016 5:30:30 PM
Posted: 8 months ago
At 3/12/2016 3:30:17 PM, Hayd wrote:
Thoughts?
--->

On the serious side though; if an exact copy of you in transported to another place it still is you. There has to be a difference; yet by quantam mechanics (an special relativity [time]), there will always be a difference (will never be an exact copy). Thus yes, it is not you.

Really? What if you are talking to someone on a online on screen are you talking to a copy of that person or the person?
Hayd
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/19/2016 5:31:53 PM
At 3/19/2016 5:30:30 PM, DPMartin wrote:
Thoughts?
--->

Really? What if you are talking to someone on a online on screen are you talking to a copy of that person or the person?

Well I'm talking to the real person, the screen and the real person aren't two different peoplpe
DPMartin
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/19/2016 7:49:19 PM
At 3/19/2016 5:31:53 PM, Hayd wrote:
At 3/19/2016 5:30:30 PM, DPMartin wrote:
Thoughts?
--->

Well I'm talking to the real person, the screen and the real person aren't two different peoplpe

I don"t know, if you are talking to the telephone are you talking to a real person or the telephone? If what you hear and or see is of a person, then is it the person? Or is the presence of the person required to be communicating to that person. If you speak to someone on the phone surly one assumes what he is hearing is of that person"s presence. (the reality of recordings and computer generated speech aside of course)
Even in the presence of a person they are communicating through their body a desire from within. Therefore are you talking to the person"s body or the person?
R0b1Billion
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/20/2016 8:56:07 PM
As far as Star Trek goes, almost nothing on the show makes a drop of sense. I'm a hardcore Trekkie don't get me wrong, I enjoy the characters and plots and sci-fi technologies but the occasional truth that comes out of it like a hypospray or a pad doesn't compare to the mountainloads of inconsistent, unrealistic garbage. Transporters are possibly the king of all garbage, and the DS9 episode where the patterns were "saved" when they couldn't rematerialize them takes the cake. Why not just take one pattern, e.g. Data, and recreate him a million times?

Humans are not the sum of their parts like a computer is. What would happen if you perfectly disassembled and reassembled a human - would he or she be the same, be someone else, or not even come alive again? Well, it is physically impossible to assemble a human in such a way, so the question itself makes no sense. You don't discover truth about reality by asking unthruthful questions.
Beliefs in a nutshell:
- The Ends never justify the Means.
- Objectivity is secondary to subjectivity.
- The War on Drugs is the worst policy in the U.S.
- Most people worship technology as a religion.
- Computers will never become sentient.