Jump to topic:

Willing?

DPMartin
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/31/2016 8:54:50 PM
Posted: 8 months ago
When it comes to will or willing how is it that one wasn"t willing one day, and then willing another day? Is only circumstances the answer to that?
Emmarie
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/31/2016 11:25:58 PM
At 3/31/2016 8:54:50 PM, DPMartin wrote:
When it comes to will or willing how is it that one wasn"t willing one day, and then willing another day? Is only circumstances the answer to that?

Building up of inner strength, I guess, either that or not seeing alternative options.
Quadrunner
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/4/2016 4:25:10 PM
At 3/31/2016 11:25:58 PM, Emmarie wrote:

Building up of inner strength, I guess, either that or not seeing alternative options.

What she said, plus you have a will to do so many things. As circumstances change, your will can "change" based on how your values are balanced and ultimately incorporated into the world around you.

So if I'm willing to take the trash out for my girlfriend one day.

Then she ticks me off.

I'm still willing to take trash out for her, but its outweighed by my stronger will not to do things for people who tick me off.

I'm still not over it.

She needs a ride to work. I'm still unwilling to do that, since it helps her, but the importance of her getting to work outweighs my petty will not to help her.

I always figured they are called values, because they can sort of be rated or quantified, (not really but you get what I mean). Its hierarchal all the way up to your rigid, unwaveringly high values. You value certain things above others, which determines what you are willing to do when a situation is presented. Assuming you have stable values, its all according to circumstance. Situation goes into your code of values, and the output comes out, which is what you are willing to do.
Wisdom is found where the wise seek it.
DPMartin
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/4/2016 6:50:56 PM
At 4/4/2016 4:25:10 PM, Quadrunner wrote:
At 3/31/2016 11:25:58 PM, Emmarie wrote:

What she said, plus you have a will to do so many things. As circumstances change, your will can "change" based on how your values are balanced and ultimately incorporated into the world around you.

So if I'm willing to take the trash out for my girlfriend one day.

Then she ticks me off.

I'm still willing to take trash out for her, but its outweighed by my stronger will not to do things for people who tick me off.

I'm still not over it.

She needs a ride to work. I'm still unwilling to do that, since it helps her, but the importance of her getting to work outweighs my petty will not to help her.

I always figured they are called values, because they can sort of be rated or quantified, (not really but you get what I mean). Its hierarchal all the way up to your rigid, unwaveringly high values. You value certain things above others, which determines what you are willing to do when a situation is presented. Assuming you have stable values, its all according to circumstance. Situation goes into your code of values, and the output comes out, which is what you are willing to do.

so, can it be said that circumstances prove what is valued, or proves the man?