Total Posts:22|Showing Posts:1-22
Jump to topic:

How much is a single human life worth?

n7
Posts: 1,360
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/2/2016 12:04:41 AM
Posted: 8 months ago
At 4/1/2016 9:56:07 PM, SolonKR wrote:
seven

lol
404 coherent debate topic not found. Please restart the debate with clear resolution.


Uphold Marxist-Leninist-Maoist-Sargonist-n7ism.
vortex86
Posts: 572
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/2/2016 2:04:43 AM
Posted: 8 months ago
At 4/1/2016 6:21:44 PM, The-Holy-Macrel wrote:
Posted for opinions and debating.

Life expectancy of a woman is higher than a man, but an average figure
(US: 76 for men 81 for women, average life expectancy 78.7 years) (price per year according to Stanford Economists $129,000)

$10,152,300.00
vortex86
Posts: 572
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/2/2016 2:04:43 AM
Posted: 8 months ago
At 4/1/2016 6:21:44 PM, The-Holy-Macrel wrote:
Posted for opinions and debating.

Life expectancy of a woman is higher than a man, but an average figure
(US: 76 for men 81 for women, average life expectancy 78.7 years) (price per year according to Stanford Economists $129,000)

$10,152,300.00
skipsaweirdo
Posts: 1,872
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/2/2016 3:03:09 AM
Posted: 8 months ago
At 4/1/2016 6:21:44 PM, The-Holy-Macrel wrote:
Posted for opinions and debating.
There are no single human lives.
someloser
Posts: 1,377
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/2/2016 5:58:17 AM
Posted: 8 months ago
Three fifty
Ego sum qui sum. Deus lo vult.

"America is ungovernable; those who served the revolution have plowed the sea." - Simon Bolivar

"A healthy nation is as unconscious of its nationality as a healthy man of his bones. But if you break a nation's nationality it will think of nothing else but getting it set again." - George Bernard Shaw
Quadrunner
Posts: 1,168
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/4/2016 6:17:21 PM
Posted: 8 months ago
At 4/1/2016 6:21:44 PM, The-Holy-Macrel wrote:
Posted for opinions and debating.

Its not worth more then another human life, at least not from a macro perspective. The value changes for people if they love someone.
Life can only be measured correctly in intangibles.

Basically its worth more than anything tangible, but there are obvious exceptions made in humanity for mass murderers and such that prove to be sub-human in nature in many cultures. You can die for a cause, and for your values. Such causes and values typically trace back to the high value of human life, which is not only survival, but living. If you die for a cause, I believe that however indirect its because you are putting at least 1 person's life above your own.

Having lost loved ones, I can say I try to live my life well, in continuation of their legacy and what they deserved to live.

In justification for loss of life: Barring mosquito's I consider all life sacred, and irreplaceable. Taking a life, is something that will never return and so every life is special. All lives, must inevitably be taken to preserve the lives of others, so we have a constant cycle of new life, and loss of life.

Now here is where it get's gray. Although a generic "life" is not worth more then a generic "life", a human life is worth more then that of a fish's life. So we know that life has value, since it can be compared other kinds of life and said to be more or less. Only something that is invaluable, cannot be traded for something of value. You should feel bad that you ended the life of the fish and took something sacred and irreplaceable, but if the predicted addition to your life or the lives of other's is worth more, then have respect for the fish, but do not dwell on whether or not you did the right thing.

Now what about vegetables? Vegetables have a lower value of life then a fish. They don't really experience anything, and there is little chance that they will be losing much but the ability to survive. But, we still eat both right? Although an strong argument on morality can be made, we like fish better then vegetables, and so we still eat fish. The fish's life brought happiness to us beyond survival, which the veggies provide, and so the addition to our life brought by fish along with our ability to survive to live another day, is worth more then the fish's and the vegetable's life, at least it should be if we are living right. I'd like to stress that the main reason we can eat both, is because both our worth significantly less then continuing human lives, and that the pleasure the fish brings is not worth the fish's life alone. We through corn at each other as kids, and wasted it for our pleasure, but to end the life of an animal for mere pleasure is undeniably wrong. It must only be done as a requirement to survive, and seek out life that is worth more then the fish.

Life is not survival. It is living, but we survive only to live.

Graduating to people, I say the value of a human life, is all the life they would have lived + all of the life they would have contributed to others had they lived, from the point their life was taken. We could go many directions from here, so I'll wait for a reply.
Wisdom is found where the wise seek it.
The-Holy-Macrel
Posts: 777
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/4/2016 6:21:37 PM
Posted: 8 months ago
At 4/4/2016 6:17:21 PM, Quadrunner wrote:
At 4/1/2016 6:21:44 PM, The-Holy-Macrel wrote:
Posted for opinions and debating.

Its not worth more then another human life, at least not from a macro perspective. The value changes for people if they love someone.
Life can only be measured correctly in intangibles.

Basically its worth more than anything tangible, but there are obvious exceptions made in humanity for mass murderers and such that prove to be sub-human in nature in many cultures. You can die for a cause, and for your values. Such causes and values typically trace back to the high value of human life, which is not only survival, but living. If you die for a cause, I believe that however indirect its because you are putting at least 1 person's life above your own.

Having lost loved ones, I can say I try to live my life well, in continuation of their legacy and what they deserved to live.

In justification for loss of life: Barring mosquito's I consider all life sacred, and irreplaceable. Taking a life, is something that will never return and so every life is special. All lives, must inevitably be taken to preserve the lives of others, so we have a constant cycle of new life, and loss of life.

Now here is where it get's gray. Although a generic "life" is not worth more then a generic "life", a human life is worth more then that of a fish's life. So we know that life has value, since it can be compared other kinds of life and said to be more or less. Only something that is invaluable, cannot be traded for something of value. You should feel bad that you ended the life of the fish and took something sacred and irreplaceable, but if the predicted addition to your life or the lives of other's is worth more, then have respect for the fish, but do not dwell on whether or not you did the right thing.

Now what about vegetables? Vegetables have a lower value of life then a fish. They don't really experience anything, and there is little chance that they will be losing much but the ability to survive. But, we still eat both right? Although an strong argument on morality can be made, we like fish better then vegetables, and so we still eat fish. The fish's life brought happiness to us beyond survival, which the veggies provide, and so the addition to our life brought by fish along with our ability to survive to live another day, is worth more then the fish's and the vegetable's life, at least it should be if we are living right. I'd like to stress that the main reason we can eat both, is because both our worth significantly less then continuing human lives, and that the pleasure the fish brings is not worth the fish's life alone. We through corn at each other as kids, and wasted it for our pleasure, but to end the life of an animal for mere pleasure is undeniably wrong. It must only be done as a requirement to survive, and seek out life that is worth more then the fish.

Life is not survival. It is living, but we survive only to live.


Graduating to people, I say the value of a human life, is all the life they would have lived + all of the life they would have contributed to others had they lived, from the point their life was taken. We could go many directions from here, so I'll wait for a reply.

I say infinite.
Mhykiel
Posts: 5,987
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/5/2016 3:34:49 AM
Posted: 8 months ago
At 4/1/2016 6:21:44 PM, The-Holy-Macrel wrote:
Posted for opinions and debating.

One more hour of me being alive.
Fkkize
Posts: 2,149
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/5/2016 11:26:05 AM
Posted: 8 months ago
5 mackerels
: At 7/2/2016 3:05:07 PM, Rational_Thinker9119 wrote:
:
: space contradicts logic
DPMartin
Posts: 1,096
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/5/2016 5:37:05 PM
Posted: 8 months ago
At 4/1/2016 6:21:44 PM, The-Holy-Macrel wrote:
Posted for opinions and debating.

why are you selling yours? from what you've posted here on this site, don't get your hopes to high. just an opinion.
Deb-8-A-Bull
Posts: 2,181
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/6/2016 10:57:40 AM
Posted: 8 months ago
My mum says Im priceless.
All the money in the world couldn't buy me.
That's like a gazillion mirron bucks.
n7
Posts: 1,360
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/7/2016 4:49:10 PM
Posted: 8 months ago
At 4/2/2016 5:58:17 AM, someloser wrote:
Three fifty

It was at this point I realized this wasn't a philosopher, but an 8 story tall crustacean from the protozoic era!
404 coherent debate topic not found. Please restart the debate with clear resolution.


Uphold Marxist-Leninist-Maoist-Sargonist-n7ism.
TBR
Posts: 9,991
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/7/2016 10:34:55 PM
Posted: 8 months ago
At 4/7/2016 5:10:24 PM, Geogeer wrote:
At 4/1/2016 6:21:44 PM, The-Holy-Macrel wrote:
Posted for opinions and debating.

$1985.77

https://bgoodscience.wordpress.com...

I have seen much lower by just chemical costs, however, another interesting take is a cadaver. You can get one for < $1,000.
Geogeer
Posts: 4,296
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/7/2016 10:50:22 PM
Posted: 8 months ago
At 4/7/2016 10:34:55 PM, TBR wrote:
At 4/7/2016 5:10:24 PM, Geogeer wrote:
At 4/1/2016 6:21:44 PM, The-Holy-Macrel wrote:
Posted for opinions and debating.

$1985.77

https://bgoodscience.wordpress.com...

I have seen much lower by just chemical costs, however, another interesting take is a cadaver. You can get one for < $1,000.

It is normally around $5, but the person who did this broke water into into its constituents of pressurized oxygen and hydrogen - which are much more valuable. I allowed it because some people will have some gold capped teeth... ;-)
RyuuKyuzo
Posts: 3,074
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/9/2016 4:56:51 AM
Posted: 8 months ago
Well obviously it depends on how extensively they examine themselves.

Huehue
If you're reading this, you're awesome and you should feel awesome.
sadolite
Posts: 8,842
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/10/2016 12:57:58 AM
Posted: 8 months ago
At 4/1/2016 6:21:44 PM, The-Holy-Macrel wrote:
Posted for opinions and debating.

Some lives are a complete liability on humanity. Depends on the person. Averaging is impossible. And those who would think it is possible will leave all the liabilities out.
It's not your views that divide us, it's what you think my views should be that divides us.

If you think I will give up my rights and forsake social etiquette to make you "FEEL" better you are sadly mistaken

If liberal democrats would just stop shooting people gun violence would drop by 90%