Jump to topic:

A Challenge involving Zipf Law

TheChristian
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/10/2016 6:13:37 PM
Posted: 8 months ago
I challenge you all to violate Zipf law by writing a post that violates Zipf law, also known as the 80-20 law, or 80% of something generates 20% of something else. It does not have to make linear sense but must be legible. Don't go all "The Great Gatsby" over it and write a book without "The" word "The". (Obvious attempt at pun is obvious)

Here's a fact. "The" is the single most common word in the English language. 25,270,000,000 results on Google.

Least common words I could find-

Quizzaciously-23,800
Nudiustertian-4,680

20% of words make up 80% of the words said.

So, here is the beginning of my answer to my own challenge.

If one person were to be put in a white torture room, after an uncountable unpredictable number of days, months, weeks, years, decades, centuries, they would go insane.

If one were to contemplate this, they would be placed inside a padded cell.

Overall, would one be correct in assuming that the hyperwebster contains every possible word out there? It contains every possible combination of letters that one could create using 26 letters in the English language.

End Challenge.
And that, dear people, is how one makes a quzzaciousness of a Scientific and Linguistic Law.
skipsaweirdo
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/11/2016 12:55:14 AM
At 4/10/2016 6:13:37 PM, TheChristian wrote:
I challenge you all to violate Zipf law by writing a post that violates Zipf law, also known as the 80-20 law, or 80% of something generates 20% of something else. It does not have to make linear sense but must be legible. Don't go all "The Great Gatsby" over it and write a book without "The" word "The". (Obvious attempt at pun is obvious)

Here's a fact. "The" is the single most common word in the English language. 25,270,000,000 results on Google.

Quizzaciously-23,800
Nudiustertian-4,680

If one person were to be put in a white torture room, after an uncountable unpredictable number of days, months, weeks, years, decades, centuries, they would go insane.

Overall, would one be correct in assuming that the hyperwebster contains every possible word out there? It contains every possible combination of letters that one could create using 26 letters in the English language.

End Challenge.
And that, dear people, is how one makes a quzzaciousness of a Scientific and Linguistic Law.
Please provide link for quzzaciousness. I'm fairly certain it isn't a word. ,(said mockingly)
You might be attempting to neologize and/or use it as a hapax legomenon. But I'm pretty sure it isn't a word. Did you purposely leave out an "I"?
TheChristian
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/11/2016 12:58:14 AM
At 4/11/2016 12:55:14 AM, skipsaweirdo wrote:

Quizzaciously-23,800
Nudiustertian-4,680

End Challenge.
Please provide link for quzzaciousness. I'm fairly certain it isn't a word. ,(said mockingly)
You might be attempting to neologize and/or use it as a hapax legomenon. But I'm pretty sure it isn't a word. Did you purposely leave out an "I"?

http://www.oed.com...
skipsaweirdo
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/11/2016 1:14:10 AM
At 4/11/2016 12:58:14 AM, TheChristian wrote:

Quizzaciously-23,800
Nudiustertian-4,680

End Challenge.

Umm that's not a link to quzzaciousness. And you have it misspelled. No i. And the suffix "Ness" isn't lisited.
n7
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/11/2016 2:23:38 AM

Quizzaciously-23,800
Nudiustertian-4,680

End Challenge.
Vsauce
404 coherent debate topic not found. Please restart the debate with clear resolution.

Uphold Marxist-Leninist-Maoist-Sargonist-n7ism.
TheChristian
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/11/2016 8:32:37 PM
At 4/11/2016 1:14:10 AM, skipsaweirdo wrote:

Quizzaciously-23,800
Nudiustertian-4,680

End Challenge.

Umm that's not a link to quzzaciousness. And you have it misspelled. No i. And the suffix "Ness" isn't lisited.

Who cares how it's spelled? And "ness" is not listed because it's a suffix. Can be tacked on to almost everything
DPMartin
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/11/2016 9:08:58 PM

Quizzaciously-23,800
Nudiustertian-4,680

End Challenge.

sounds like your trying to use zip file thinking to compress files as something else. frequency of words is irrelevant unless your working on compression of a file, or screening for a phrase, or modifying a service like Microsoft does on some of their screen keyboards. but that is still counted according to individual frequency of use.

just how is this supposed to be interesting or something?
TheChristian
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/11/2016 9:15:29 PM
At 4/11/2016 9:08:58 PM, DPMartin wrote:

Quizzaciously-23,800
Nudiustertian-4,680

End Challenge.

sounds like your trying to use zip file thinking to compress files as something else. frequency of words is irrelevant unless your working on compression of a file, or screening for a phrase, or modifying a service like Microsoft does on some of their screen keyboards. but that is still counted according to individual frequency of use.

Explain.
just how is this supposed to be interesting or something?
It's supposed to be a challenge. Just to show how often we use certain words
skipsaweirdo
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/12/2016 2:58:35 PM
At 4/11/2016 8:32:37 PM, TheChristian wrote:
At 4/11/2016 1:14:10 AM, skipsaweirdo wrote:

Quizzaciously-23,800
Nudiustertian-4,680

End Challenge.

Who cares how it's spelled? And "ness" is not listed because it's a suffix. Can be tacked on to almost everything
Other suffixes are listed. Almost is the relevant word. Please provide link where using "ness" is grammatically correct. And the words root is quiz which is either a verb or a noun. Usually "Ness" is added to an adjective to make it a noun. Since the root is already a noun it would make adding "ness" redundant as you merely should use the root word quiz, already the noun needed.Let's see if it would suffice...
"And that people is how one makes a quiz of a Scientific and Linguistic law"
Did you intend to make a quiz?
Rami
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/12/2016 5:49:34 PM

Quizzaciously-23,800
Nudiustertian-4,680

End Challenge.

No.

Darn it! I did it. Didn't I?