Jump to topic:

multiplying with zero is zero is wrong?

Artur
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/22/2016 3:11:38 PM
Posted: 7 months ago
not to argue. to understand. I once was good at math but it was long ago. so, now let us try to investigate multiplying with zero.

first, how we multiply? 2x3=2+2+2=6

or 3x5=3+3+3+3+3=15.
here, each number represents something e.g: apples.
5 times 3 apple is : 3"5=3+3+3+3+3=15. it means: as result we will have 15 apples.

now, let us try 10 apples with zero times.

10"0= 0 mathematically but why? if we have 10 apples with zero(nothing) times zero (nothing) is added to it, then we remain with our 10 apples, we still have 10 apples, we are with 10 apples not "we are with nothing". while the result is "we are still with 10 apples" why math says it is zero?

or try this way: we have nothing (zero) and zero times 10 apple is added to our "nothing" then we again have 10 apples. so, practically 10"0 or 0+10 is both equal to 10.

then, why math says it is zero?

or do I miss something? do I misunderstood?
when I am writing this, there really is 10 pieces of balckberry in front of me. I tried it, I still have 10 blackberries when I add nothing times nothing to my 10 blackberries.

when I took the plate there was nothing(zero) in it and I added 1 time 10 blackberry. now, the result is 10 blackberries.

but according to math, it must be zero. why?
"I'm not as soft or as generous a person as I would be if the world hadn't changed me" Bobby Fischer
DPMartin
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/22/2016 3:35:43 PM
At 4/22/2016 3:11:38 PM, Artur wrote:
not to argue. to understand. I once was good at math but it was long ago. so, now let us try to investigate multiplying with zero.

first, how we multiply? 2x3=2+2+2=6

or 3x5=3+3+3+3+3=15.
here, each number represents something e.g: apples.
5 times 3 apple is : 3"5=3+3+3+3+3=15. it means: as result we will have 15 apples.

now, let us try 10 apples with zero times.

10"0= 0 mathematically but why? if we have 10 apples with zero(nothing) times zero (nothing) is added to it, then we remain with our 10 apples, we still have 10 apples, we are with 10 apples not "we are with nothing". while the result is "we are still with 10 apples" why math says it is zero?

or try this way: we have nothing (zero) and zero times 10 apple is added to our "nothing" then we again have 10 apples. so, practically 10"0 or 0+10 is both equal to 10.

then, why math says it is zero?

or do I miss something? do I misunderstood?
when I am writing this, there really is 10 pieces of balckberry in front of me. I tried it, I still have 10 blackberries when I add nothing times nothing to my 10 blackberries.

when I took the plate there was nothing(zero) in it and I added 1 time 10 blackberry. now, the result is 10 blackberries.

but according to math, it must be zero. why?

did you sit up all night to think of this one?

10 times nothing is nothing hence nothing times 10 equals nothing in such a equation it works both ways, or it's not true. you are trying to say one time 10 is the same as zero times 10. different values times the same values do not equal the same value.
DPMartin
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/22/2016 3:46:25 PM
The blackberries aren"t the measure of units the number 10 is. 10 units of measure X 0 units of measure = 0
But ten berries are not going to disappear do to a math equation, the ten berries are the result not the problem. Therefore, your problem is wrong. To equal ten berries is all you have, if you have ten berries. Any equation that equals ten berries is the correct way to come to the conclusion of ten berries.
A1tre
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/22/2016 4:31:03 PM
when you calculate 3x5 you can think of this as follows: I have 5 bundles of 3 apples. In total I have 15 apples.

what if I do 3x0? I have 0 bundles of 3 apples. So in total I have 0 apples.

so lets say you have 1 bundle of 10 blackberries in front of you. 1x10
what happens if you multiply your blackberries with 0: you have 0 bundles of 10 blackberries. So you do not have any more blackberries.

You don't have the power to multiply your bundle of blackberries in real life. So here multiplicaton is simply saying how much of something would you have if you had X amount of boudles with a size of Y.
DPMartin
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/22/2016 4:36:09 PM
At 4/22/2016 4:31:03 PM, A1tre wrote:
when you calculate 3x5 you can think of this as follows: I have 5 bundles of 3 apples. In total I have 15 apples.

what happens if you multiply your blackberries with 0: you have 0 bundles of 10 blackberries. So you do not have any more blackberries.

You don't have the power to multiply your bundle of blackberries in real life. So here multiplicaton is simply saying how much of something would you have if you had X amount of boudles with a size of Y.

your explanation is much better
Artur
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/22/2016 4:40:21 PM
At 4/22/2016 4:31:03 PM, A1tre wrote:

ok, thank you. I understood. good example.
"I'm not as soft or as generous a person as I would be if the world hadn't changed me" Bobby Fischer
Diqiucun_Cunmin
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/22/2016 5:34:54 PM
Since this is the philosophy forum, I would say that 10*0 is 0 simply because real number arithmetic is defined that way. As a mathematical formalist, I don't think mathematical rules have any inherent 'meaning' to them.

It just so happens that the system works well with apples and blackberries (and A1tre did a great job of explaining it using this example). This is what makes a mathematical system useful. I could define a system where 0 * 10 = 1, 2 * 10 = 21 and so on; it just happens that such a system would be completely useless.
The thing is, I hate relativism. I hate relativism more than I hate everything else, excepting, maybe, fibreglass powerboats... What it overlooks, to put it briefly and crudely, is the fixed structure of human nature. - Jerry Fodor

Don't be a stat cynic:
http://www.debate.org...

Response to conservative views on deforestation:

Topics I'd like to debate (not debating ATM): http://tinyurl.com...
user13579
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/24/2016 6:25:37 AM
0 is simply defined to be the additive identity of the real numbers. In other words, it is defined to be a number such that x + 0 = x for any real x. So 10 * 0 = 10 * (0 + 0) = 10 * 0 + 10 * 0 ("*" is simply defined to be a distributive operation). 10 * 0 = 10 * 0 + 10 * 0 so then 0 = 10 * 0 by subtracting 10 * 0 from both sides.
Science in a nutshell:
"Facts are neither true nor false. They simply are."
"All scientific knowledge is provisional. Even facts are provisional."
"We can be absolutely certain that we have a moon, we can be absolutely certain that water is made out of H2O, and we can be absolutely certain that the Earth is a sphere!"
"Scientific knowledge is a body of statements of varying degrees of certainty -- some most unsure, some nearly sure, none absolutely certain."
sadolite
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/25/2016 12:46:14 AM
ten nothings equal nothing DUH
It's not your views that divide us, it's what you think my views should be that divides us.

If you think I will give up my rights and forsake social etiquette to make you "FEEL" better you are sadly mistaken

If liberal democrats would just stop shooting people gun violence would drop by 90%
Forthelulz
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/24/2016 2:12:05 AM
Posted: 6 months ago
You assume that it has to be (10*0)
Why not switch the factors around so we get:
(0*10)
So we would get
0+0+0+0+0+0+0+0+0+0=0
=Chief Defenestrator=

#ImperiumAmerica

This user is an Angel and will answer any DDO-related questions to the best of their ability. PM for help, or post in the Welcome Thread.
Before you do anything:
Welcome Thread:
New Members Read Me:
Argument Bingo
http://imgur.com...