Jump to topic:

What is Occam's Razor?

user13579
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/30/2016 7:14:49 AM
Posted: 7 months ago
Nobody actually uses it though. The most popular interpretation of quantum mechanics is called many-worlds. An infinite number of universes to "explain" one universe.
Science in a nutshell:
"Facts are neither true nor false. They simply are."
"All scientific knowledge is provisional. Even facts are provisional."
"We can be absolutely certain that we have a moon, we can be absolutely certain that water is made out of H2O, and we can be absolutely certain that the Earth is a sphere!"
"Scientific knowledge is a body of statements of varying degrees of certainty -- some most unsure, some nearly sure, none absolutely certain."
PetersSmith
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/30/2016 8:04:35 AM
At 4/30/2016 2:49:15 AM, ILoveSitarMusic wrote:
I want to know, please.

I'm pretty sure an overly simplified version is: the easiest/simplest solution is normally the right solution.
Empress of DDO (also Poll and Forum "Maintenance" Moderator)

"The two most important days in your life is the day you were born, and the day you find out why."
~Mark Twain

"Wow"
-Doge

"Don't believe everything you read on the internet just because there's a picture with a quote next to it."
~Abraham Lincoln

Guide to the Polls Section: http://www.debate.org...
Fkkize
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/30/2016 9:10:02 AM
At 4/30/2016 7:14:49 AM, user13579 wrote:
Nobody actually uses it though. The most popular interpretation of quantum mechanics is called many-worlds. An infinite number of universes to "explain" one universe.

Is that so? I'll just ignore your misunderstanding of the razor and many worlds (and physics in general) but it always makes me wonder where people get information like this.

http://arxiv.org...
Page 8
: At 7/2/2016 3:05:07 PM, Rational_Thinker9119 wrote:
:
: space contradicts logic
user13579
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/30/2016 10:13:45 AM
At 4/30/2016 9:10:02 AM, Fkkize wrote:

Is that so? I'll just ignore your misunderstanding of the razor and many worlds (and physics in general) but it always makes me wonder where people get information like this.

Page 8

"By Tegmark's own admission, the survey was "highly
informal and unscientifc," as "several people voted more than once, many abstained, etc."

Oh so you want to play that game where you cite polls.

"58% believed that the Many Worlds Interpretation (MWI) was true, including Stephen Hawking and Nobel Laureates Murray Gell-Mann and Richard Feynman"

https://books.google.com...

Which one is true? Maybe they're both true in different universes.
Science in a nutshell:
"We can be absolutely certain that we have a moon, we can be absolutely certain that water is made out of H2O, and we can be absolutely certain that the Earth is a sphere!"
"Scientific knowledge is a body of statements of varying degrees of certainty -- some most unsure, some nearly sure, none absolutely certain."
user13579
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/30/2016 10:48:26 AM
And the best part of all is it's even unfalsifiable! So good luck challenging the high priests of physics.
Science in a nutshell:
SNP1
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/30/2016 4:31:53 PM

The Many Worlds Interpretation is ONE assumption.
The ONE assumption is that there are "many worlds".
It isn't an infinite amount of assumptions, that is a major misunderstanding.

There are other interpretations in quantum mechanics that make 2 or more assumptions, and Occam's Razor would, therefore, favor the Many Worlds Interpretation over those others.

This isn't even getting into what Fkkize said.
#TheApatheticNihilistPartyofAmerica
#WarOnDDO
user13579
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/30/2016 5:05:26 PM
At 4/30/2016 4:31:53 PM, SNP1 wrote:

The Many Worlds Interpretation is ONE assumption.
The ONE assumption is that there are "many worlds".
It isn't an infinite amount of assumptions, that is a major misunderstanding.

There are other interpretations in quantum mechanics that make 2 or more assumptions, and Occam's Razor would, therefore, favor the Many Worlds Interpretation over those others.

This isn't even getting into what Fkkize said.

Ok, so instead of making the one assumption that there's one universe, I'll make the one assumption that there are infinitely many universe. What a joke.
Science in a nutshell:
user13579
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/30/2016 5:12:02 PM
And to be honest, it's not really an assumption to say that there is at least one universe. Cogito ergo sum. So even if I am all that there is, then I would just be the whole universe. So actually, I don't have to assume there is one universe. I already know wherever I am is a universe.
Science in a nutshell:
keithprosser
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/30/2016 5:21:02 PM
I'm not at all expert on moden esoteric cosmology, but the many-worlds interpretation would still pass Occams razor if it explains more things or more things better then any known simpler theory.

Also - afaik - the many-worlds interpretation supposes an awful lot of univeres and such, but it doesn't have all that many concepts in it, so it is in that sense a - relative simple theory. I think Occam's razor applies to the number of concepts in a theory, not the complexoty of its consequences.
Fkkize
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/30/2016 7:14:57 PM
At 4/30/2016 10:13:45 AM, user13579 wrote:
At 4/30/2016 9:10:02 AM, Fkkize wrote:

Page 8

"By Tegmark's own admission, the survey was "highly
informal and unscientifc," as "several people voted more than once, many abstained, etc."

Oh so you want to play that game where you cite polls.

"58% believed that the Many Worlds Interpretation (MWI) was true, including Stephen Hawking and Nobel Laureates Murray Gell-Mann and Richard Feynman"

https://books.google.com...

Which one is true? Maybe they're both true in different universes.

It was a poll what scientific rigor do you expect? All polls ever taken on the matter were highly controversial and extremely unscientific. Yours is no exception.
https://en.wikipedia.org...

But then again, I won't complain about people recognizing many-worlds' superiority.
:
user13579
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/30/2016 7:24:48 PM
Oh, if it's all about simplicity, then I present superdeterminism. No free will because the brain is just a quantum mechanical process itself, no randomness because it's all predetermined, no multiple universes.
Science in a nutshell:
Fkkize
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/30/2016 7:33:41 PM
the many-worlds interpretation supposes an awful lot of univeres and such, but it doesn't have all that many concepts in it, so it is in that sense a - relative simple theory. I think Occam's razor applies to the number of concepts in a theory, not the complexoty of its consequences.

At least someone gets it.
MW is by far the most simply version of QM out there.

It makes one assumption: Quantum systems do not exist in one distinct state, rather they exist in every possible state.

That's at least something people can imagine, but try to think about something having NO distinct state until something interacts with it.
To me that sounds a lot more ridiculous than a couple of universes.
:
Fkkize
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/30/2016 7:39:35 PM
At 4/30/2016 7:24:48 PM, user13579 wrote:
Oh, if it's all about simplicity, then I present superdeterminism. No free will because the brain is just a quantum mechanical process itself, no randomness because it's all predetermined, no multiple universes.

I don't think you understand the topic at hand.
Trying to make sense of QM does not mean just making sh1t up however you like. If you think I am wrong on that, show how your ingenious laws of superdeterminism can predict stuff more accurately than QM.

People a lot smarter than me (and you for that matter) tried to do that their entire career, yet none of them succeeded.
:
Fkkize
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/30/2016 7:42:37 PM
MW is by far the simplest version of QM out there.
:
user13579
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/30/2016 7:56:19 PM
Why should I assume free will exists? Or even "randomness"? What does "free will" even mean anyway. Am I able to violate the laws of physics with my "free will"? If I have "free will" and if I am still bounded by the laws of physics, then my actions would be the same as if I did not have free will! So what does free will let me do that I can't do without it? It's not even free will if I can't do anything differently. Free will is just an illusion created by the laws of physics. And randomness? Just because I don't have enough information or that I can never have enough information to calculate something in advance with certainty doesn't mean it's random. Uncertain, ok, but I don't see how you get "random" from that.

Of course, this is really just philosophy.
Science in a nutshell:
Fkkize
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/30/2016 8:04:01 PM
At 4/30/2016 7:56:19 PM, user13579 wrote:
Why should I assume free will exists? Or even "randomness"? What does "free will" even mean anyway. Am I able to violate the laws of physics with my "free will"? If I have "free will" and if I am still bounded by the laws of physics, then my actions would be the same as if I did not have free will! So what does free will let me do that I can't do without it? It's not even free will if I can't do anything differently. Free will is just an illusion created by the laws of physics. And randomness? Just because I don't have enough information or that I can never have enough information to calculate something in advance with certainty doesn't mean it's random. Uncertain, ok, but I don't see how you get "random" from that.

Of course, this is really just philosophy.

Y'know, not responding to arguments (which you apparently always do when we interact) is not an objection to said arguments.
:
user13579
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/30/2016 8:10:00 PM
Ok, then I'm sticking with superdeterminism, an even simpler version of QM than MW. Everything is determined in advance, especially (the illusion of) "choices" of experiments. It's also unfalsifiable like MW, but fair's fair. It's not totally ready yet, but it will be one day.
Science in a nutshell:
SpiritandTruth
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/30/2016 9:39:52 PM
A jam featuring Frank Zappa on guitar and Vinnie Colaiuta on drums.

https://www.youtube.com...
And as Moses lifted up the serpent in the wilderness, even so must the Son of man be lifted up: That whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have eternal life. As many as received him, to them gave he power to become the sons of God, even to them that believe on his name: which were born, not of blood, nor of the will of the flesh, nor of the will of man, but of the will of God. The hour cometh, and now is, when the true worshippers shall worship the Father in spirit and in truth,
keithprosser
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/1/2016 6:25:46 AM
Surely superdetermism is falsifiable - at least in principle - because if free will can be shown to be true then superdeterminism must be false?

From that it follows you think free will is false - do you think it also 'provably false'? Note is perfectly possible - ialtb(*) - for something to be definitely true (or definitely false) but no proof(or disproof) of it can be formulated. I think that it one of the lessons Godel teaches us.

(* I am led to believe!!).
user13579
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/1/2016 10:32:24 AM
At 5/1/2016 6:25:46 AM, keithprosser wrote:
Surely superdetermism is falsifiable - at least in principle - because if free will can be shown to be true then superdeterminism must be false?

I don't think free will can be shown to be true, even if it does exist. It can only be "assumed", but why? I'd rather "assume" that the human brain is just like anything else in the universe. I'd rather assume everything in the universe follows the same laws of physics.

Free will doesn't make sense anyway. My actions are governed by the laws of physics, are they not? I can't violate those laws, whether I have free will or not. I am forced (determined!) by the laws of physics to do exactly the same thing whether I have free will or not. It's not even free will then.

From that it follows you think free will is false - do you think it also 'provably false'? Note is perfectly possible - ialtb(*) - for something to be definitely true (or definitely false) but no proof(or disproof) of it can be formulated. I think that it one of the lessons Godel teaches us.

Oh ok.
Science in a nutshell:
user13579
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/1/2016 11:10:15 AM
What a complete bastardization of Occam's Razor. If you want to mimimize the "assumptions", it has to be all other things being equal. So MW would satisfy Occam's Razor, if the other interpretations assumed something else in addition to an "infinite number of universes". Too bad none of them actually do that, because that assumption itself is a cop out to explain away anything you want. What makes this universe special that I'm here in this one, aware of this one, but not the others? So in one universe I observe that Schroedinger's (this won't let me do umlauts?) cat is alive, and in another universe I observe it's dead. But this universe I can see it's alive. So why am I in this universe where it's alive?
Science in a nutshell:
user13579
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/1/2016 11:28:00 AM
At 4/30/2016 7:33:41 PM, Fkkize wrote:
the many-worlds interpretation supposes an awful lot of univeres and such, but it doesn't have all that many concepts in it, so it is in that sense a - relative simple theory. I think Occam's razor applies to the number of concepts in a theory, not the complexoty of its consequences.

At least someone gets it.
MW is by far the most simply version of QM out there.

It makes one assumption: Quantum systems do not exist in one distinct state, rather they exist in every possible state.

That's at least something people can imagine, but try to think about something having NO distinct state until something interacts with it.

Fine. I'll assume that they already have the one distinct state, predetermined by the initial conditions of the universe and the laws of physics (which are really just additional conditions). No action at a distance or infinite velocity of force propagation, because everything already "knows" where everything else is.
Science in a nutshell:
user13579
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/1/2016 12:00:52 PM
Bell's theorem doesn't rule this out, because one of the "assumptions" in Bell's theorem is the existence of something called free will! Then just don't assume free will. Why should anybody assume the existence of free will? I don't see what makes the brain "special" like that.
Science in a nutshell:
tejretics
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/1/2016 1:03:33 PM
At 4/30/2016 2:49:15 AM, ILoveSitarMusic wrote:
I want to know, please.

Among a set of competing hypotheses with no evidence favoring any particular hypothesis, the hypothesis which invokes least unsubstantiated positive assumptions is most likely to be true.
"Where justice is denied, where poverty is enforced, where ignorance prevails, and where any one class is made to feel that society is an organized conspiracy to oppress, rob and degrade them, neither persons nor property will be safe." - Frederick Douglass
keithprosser
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/1/2016 2:20:09 PM
At 5/1/2016 12:00:52 PM, user13579 wrote:
Bell's theorem doesn't rule this out, because one of the "assumptions" in Bell's theorem is the existence of something called free will! Then just don't assume free will. Why should anybody assume the existence of free will? I don't see what makes the brain "special" like that

I think the strict logic is that if free will is true then the consquences of Bell's theorem (such as action at a distance)definitely apply to reality. If free will is false then they may still be apply but not proven so. I believe action at a distance has been demonstrated, but we can't use that to determine if free will is true or not. A implies B does not imply B implies A, if you like more formal language.

I don't see what makes the brain "special" like that.

I think that is not quite the case. I think you do see what makes the "brain special like that". You surely note that the brain exhibits (apparent) free will and consciousness, which makes it pretty special because nothing else we know about exhibits them. What you mean is you would rather believe that free will is absent rather than the brain is special! No insult intended - I'm making a philosophical point.

Unless of course you have a proof that free will is definitely false which does assume monistic physicalism at the outset in which case you should post it immediately!
keithprosser
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/1/2016 2:25:30 PM
Unless of course you have a proof that free will is definitely false which does NOT assume monistic physicalism at the outset in which case you should post it immediately!

I missed a very important NOT out of my last paragraph!!
user13579
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/1/2016 2:48:17 PM
At 5/1/2016 2:20:09 PM, keithprosser wrote:
At 5/1/2016 12:00:52 PM, user13579 wrote:
Bell's theorem doesn't rule this out, because one of the "assumptions" in Bell's theorem is the existence of something called free will! Then just don't assume free will. Why should anybody assume the existence of free will? I don't see what makes the brain "special" like that

I think the strict logic is that if free will is true then the consquences of Bell's theorem (such as action at a distance)definitely apply to reality. If free will is false then they may still be apply but not proven so. I believe action at a distance has been demonstrated, but we can't use that to determine if free will is true or not. A implies B does not imply B implies A, if you like more formal language.

I don't see what makes the brain "special" like that.

I think that is not quite the case. I think you do see what makes the "brain special like that". You surely note that the brain exhibits (apparent) free will and consciousness, which makes it pretty special because nothing else we know about exhibits them. What you mean is you would rather believe that free will is absent rather than the brain is special! No insult intended - I'm making a philosophical point.

Unless of course you have a proof that free will is definitely false which does assume monistic physicalism at the outset in which case you should post it immediately!

What? I don't need to assume that there exists things outside the physical universe. Hey let me use Occam's Razor on that one.

I can assume that the physical universe exists. I can explain everything that way.

Or, I can assume that the physical universe exists and that a magic universe containing "souls" or whatever gives free will also exists. I would not be able to explain anything more this way. By Occam's Razor, I am only assuming that there is a physical universe.
Science in a nutshell:
user13579
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/1/2016 3:00:04 PM
So, my "proof" that there is no free will is that you must violate Occam's Razor to assume that free will exists.
Science in a nutshell: