Jump to topic:

does eternity exist?

DPMartin
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/5/2016 6:54:32 PM
Posted: 7 months ago
I personally believe eternity exists but for the sake of argument, does eternity exist? And what could possibly cause eternity to exist? Does it have to have a cause in order to exist?

Also, eternity is usually considered and infinite amount of time past and future. But what if time has a beginning and end, in which case if there is eternity then it wouldn"t be of time.

It would seem that, though yes there are theories out there that disagree, energy is in need of time to execute or be, but time doesn"t need energy in order for there to be time, but can eternity be a place of existence?
A1tre
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/5/2016 7:47:44 PM
At 5/5/2016 6:54:32 PM, DPMartin wrote:
I personally believe eternity exists but for the sake of argument, does eternity exist? And what could possibly cause eternity to exist? Does it have to have a cause in order to exist?

Also, eternity is usually considered and infinite amount of time past and future. But what if time has a beginning and end, in which case if there is eternity then it wouldn"t be of time.

It would seem that, though yes there are theories out there that disagree, energy is in need of time to execute or be, but time doesn"t need energy in order for there to be time, but can eternity be a place of existence?

Could you define what eternity means to you? Up until now I would have siad it is an "infinite amount of time". In that sense, how can one talk of eternity if there is no infinite amount of time?
Chaosism
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/5/2016 8:06:59 PM

If time is an existent thing, then I find the time-dependent concepts of "beginning" and "end" to be utterly incoherent in regard to itself. For instance, what exactly does it mean for time to "begin"? In order for it to begin, there would have to be a time in which it did not exist prior to it coming into existence.
DPMartin
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/5/2016 9:16:23 PM
At 5/5/2016 7:47:44 PM, A1tre wrote:

Could you define what eternity means to you? Up until now I would have siad it is an "infinite amount of time". In that sense, how can one talk of eternity if there is no infinite amount of time?

well, could there be an infinite amount of space? then space would be an eternity, correct? and you are talking in "infinite amounts" as in units of measure. but could it be that eternity isn't something that can be broke down into units of measure? since there wouldn't be a first and a last unit of eternity.
DPMartin
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/5/2016 9:19:32 PM
At 5/5/2016 8:06:59 PM, Chaosism wrote:

If time is an existent thing, then I find the time-dependent concepts of "beginning" and "end" to be utterly incoherent in regard to itself. For instance, what exactly does it mean for time to "begin"? In order for it to begin, there would have to be a time in which it did not exist prior to it coming into existence.

well time is in units of measure hence who is to say there isn't a first and last? but could it be that eternity isn't something that can be broke down into units of measure? since there wouldn't be a first and a last unit of eternity.