Jump to topic:

Atheism v. Agnosticism

Danielle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/11/2016 3:37:09 PM
Posted: 6 months ago
I'm repeating this both here and the Religion forum for clarity, since many people seem to have forgot.

Agnosticism is a knowledge claim (I don't KNOW whether or not God exists).
Atheism is a belief claim (I don't BELIEVE God exists).

They are not incompatible. In fact you are probably both. You can be a/n

gnostic theist - I believe God exists and I know God exists
gnostic atheist - I don't believe God exists and I know God doesn't exist
agnostic theist - I don't know if God exists but I believe God exists
agnostic atheist - I don't know if God exists but I don't believe God exists
President of DDO
skipsaweirdo
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/11/2016 4:20:11 PM
At 5/11/2016 3:37:09 PM, Danielle wrote:
I'm repeating this both here and the Religion forum for clarity, since many people seem to have forgot.

Agnosticism is the BELIEF that knowledge about God is unknowable. It doesn't mean knowledge about God is actually unknowable. Hence agnostic is a belief about God.

Atheists always say atheism is a lack of belief. Since agnostics believe something about God I.E.the belief knowledge of God is unknowable, then someone who defines themselves as "they lack a belief" can't hold a belief concerning anything about God. I.E. that knowledge of God is unknowable. That's a belief.
imperialchimp
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/12/2016 6:25:40 AM
At 5/11/2016 4:20:11 PM, skipsaweirdo wrote:

Agnosticism is the BELIEF that knowledge about God is unknowable. It doesn't mean knowledge about God is actually unknowable. Hence agnostic is a belief about God.

Atheists always say atheism is a lack of belief. Since agnostics believe something about God I.E.the belief knowledge of God is unknowable, then someone who defines themselves as "they lack a belief" can't hold a belief concerning anything about God. I.E. that knowledge of God is unknowable. That's a belief.

So you're saying agnostics believe god exists. In that case, I shouldn't call myself an agnostic (I just merely don't know if a god exists).
Then again, an atheist was originally someone who was spiritual and didn't believe in a god. Now it's only the latter.
Ape Lives Matter (ALM)

What if I were to tell you that humans have false logic? Prepare for confusion.

-.-- --- ..- / ... .... --- ..- .-.. -.. / .... .- ...- . / -. --- - / - .-. .- -. ... .-.. .- - . -.. / - .... .. ... .-.-.- .-.-.- .-.-.-
ViceRegent
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/12/2016 11:29:06 AM

Actually, atheism is also a knowledge claim: claiming that your beliefs influence reality and that everything God says about Himself is not true. So, how do you know this?
user13579
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/12/2016 11:53:06 AM

I don't have to say "I don't believe in God" in order to be an atheist. All I have to do is not believe.
Science in a nutshell:
"Facts are neither true nor false. They simply are."
"All scientific knowledge is provisional. Even facts are provisional."
"We can be absolutely certain that we have a moon, we can be absolutely certain that water is made out of H2O, and we can be absolutely certain that the Earth is a sphere!"
"Scientific knowledge is a body of statements of varying degrees of certainty -- some most unsure, some nearly sure, none absolutely certain."
Axonly
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/13/2016 9:46:58 AM

Atheism v Agnosticism

Black and Blue

Fight night

The greatest gladiator match in the history of the world

God vs man

Day vs night

Batman V superman references woo
Meh!
Double_R
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/15/2016 11:33:00 PM

Agnosticism is a belief regarding God claims, not God's existence.

Atheism is a lack of belief regarding God's existence. We just don't normally bother to include the word "existence" when describing our position because that is obvious to anyone who is paying attention.
skipsaweirdo
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/16/2016 11:33:32 AM
At 5/12/2016 6:25:40 AM, imperialchimp wrote:

So you're saying agnostics believe god exists. In that case, I shouldn't call myself an agnostic (I just merely don't know if a god exists).
Let's recap shall we. Agnostics have a belief that knowledge of God existing or not existing is unknowable, and any other little piece of knowledge about God is also unknowable. How you get that means they think God exists is beyond me. But then again you are a monkey,oops chimp, hope I didn't insult the great apes or not the great apeismists movement. I know its becoming more appealing and I wouldn't want to slip up and insult beatleapemania.
Then again, an atheist was originally someone who was spiritual and didn't believe in a god. Now it's only the latter.
imperialchimp
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/18/2016 2:27:46 AM
Let's recap shall we. Agnostics have a belief that knowledge of God existing or not existing is unknowable, and any other little piece of knowledge about God is also unknowable. How you get that means they think God exists is beyond me. But then again you are a monkey,oops chimp, hope I didn't insult the great apes or not the great apeismists movement. I know its becoming more appealing and I wouldn't want to slip up and insult beatleapemania.

Sorry for not reading it properly. Now I understood what you meant.

You better watch your back. Me and my chimpsters might jump you next time. If you don't thinks chimps aren't scary, search up chimp attacks.
Ape Lives Matter (ALM)

What if I were to tell you that humans have false logic? Prepare for confusion.

-.-- --- ..- / ... .... --- ..- .-.. -.. / .... .- ...- . / -. --- - / - .-. .- -. ... .-.. .- - . -.. / - .... .. ... .-.-.- .-.-.- .-.-.-
skipsaweirdo
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/18/2016 3:16:05 AM
At 5/18/2016 2:27:46 AM, imperialchimp wrote:

Sorry for not reading it properly. Now I understood what you meant.

You better watch your back. Me and my chimpsters might jump you next time. If you don't thinks chimps aren't scary, search up chimp attacks.
Lol
skipsaweirdo
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/18/2016 3:47:28 AM
At 5/12/2016 11:53:06 AM, user13579 wrote:

I don't have to say "I don't believe in God" in order to be an atheist. All I have to do is not believe.
So you don't have to say you do not believe in God all you have to do is not believe in God? Totally makes sense to me, Bert, and Ernie. Oscar the grouch however doubts your credulity.