Jump to topic:

Atheism and Science

ViceRegent
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/20/2016 7:57:47 PM
Posted: 6 months ago
Atheists love to claim their epistemology is based on science. Can an atheist tell me which of their five senses told them this is true? And I mean without begging the question?
Axonly
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/22/2016 8:18:20 AM
At 5/20/2016 7:57:47 PM, ViceRegent wrote:
Atheists love to claim their epistemology is based on science. Can an atheist tell me which of their five senses told them this is true? And I mean without begging the question?

So, would god approve of you maliciously insulting other people?

(I know you read these, your morality is broken and that's your weakness).
Meh!
skipsaweirdo
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/23/2016 11:04:27 AM
At 5/22/2016 8:18:20 AM, Axonly wrote:

So, would god approve of you maliciously insulting other people?
Yes God would and even if God didn't, you're implying belief in God results in being perfect, you have been misled.

(I know you read these, your morality is broken and that's your weakness).
slo1
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/23/2016 3:42:00 PM

Probably better question, what is your 6th sense that allows you to judge your Judeo-Christian based beliefs as truth?

To answer your question, obviously science is based upon observations and generating reliable and valid results to experiments. Of course it includes the use of instruments as our senses alone are not as well developed as the instruments we can build. It is the reason why you can build a church and have heating and cooling to keep you comfortable. It doesn't concern itself with the metaphysical or spiritual and thus is full compatible with spiritual belief. Although I think you knew that.
ViceRegent
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/23/2016 3:48:18 PM
At 5/23/2016 3:42:00 PM, slo1 wrote:

Probably better question, what is your 6th sense that allows you to judge your Judeo-Christian based beliefs as truth?

To answer your question, obviously science is based upon observations and generating reliable and valid results to experiments. Of course it includes the use of instruments as our senses alone are not as well developed as the instruments we can build. It is the reason why you can build a church and have heating and cooling to keep you comfortable. It doesn't concern itself with the metaphysical or spiritual and thus is full compatible with spiritual belief. Although I think you knew that.

But you did not answer my Q. Which of your five senses told you that science leads to truth?
slo1
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/23/2016 3:55:04 PM
At 5/23/2016 3:48:18 PM, ViceRegent wrote:

But you did not answer my Q. Which of your five senses told you that science leads to truth?

What truth are you referring to? If referring to the truth that when I put water in a pot and boil it, it converts to steam, then all I need is sight although I could use touch to confirm as well, but it is painful.
janesix
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/24/2016 8:46:37 PM

It is reason, not senses, that tells you science leads to truth.
ViceRegent
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/24/2016 9:44:40 PM
At 5/24/2016 8:46:37 PM, janesix wrote:

This ought to be fun. Pray tell how?
janesix
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/24/2016 9:51:08 PM
At 5/24/2016 9:44:40 PM, ViceRegent wrote:

You learn about the world through experience, reading and experimentation. Then you use your reason to decide what are facts and what are not to the best of your ability. The scientific method has built in mechanism for helping to decide what are facts. It is of course not foolproof but it's the best we've got.
matt8800
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/24/2016 9:56:43 PM

Lets talk about a specific example....

Water boils at 100c at sea level. How do I know this? I admit that I have not tested this and it could be a lie. Its possible that it is a world conspiracy to deceive me specifically on the boiling temperature of water. For all I know, maybe it actually boils at 101c or 99c.

First, we would have to define "boil" so we know what we are looking for. Secondly, we would have to determine how we know the test is happening at sea level. We would also have to ensure the water was free from contaminants to eliminate other variables. Next, we would need to ensure our temperature testing equipment was accurate and calibrated.

I suppose in the experiment, my sense of sight would be the primary sense to confirm my experimentation was accurate. I would use my sight to view the water for signs of boiling and to view the equipment.

After all that is complete, I could establish with a high degree of probability that water boils at 100c.

You, on the other hand, would believe water boils at 70c if your Bible told you so despite what science says. You depend on no senses, including common sense.
ViceRegent
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/24/2016 9:58:06 PM
At 5/24/2016 9:51:08 PM, janesix wrote:

You learn about the world through experience, reading and experimentation. Then you use your reason to decide what are facts and what are not to the best of your ability. The scientific method has built in mechanism for helping to decide what are facts. It is of course not foolproof but it's the best we've got.

No, moron, I did not ask your worthless opinion, especially one which evidences you have no idea what you are talking about. I want the deductive syllogism that starts with reason and ends with science. Put up or shut up, moron boy.
Axonly
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/24/2016 11:25:09 PM
At 5/24/2016 9:58:06 PM, ViceRegent wrote:
At 5/24/2016 9:51:08 PM, janesix wrote:

No, moron, I did not ask your worthless opinion, especially one which evidences you have no idea what you are talking about. I want the deductive syllogism that starts with reason and ends with science. Put up or shut up, moron boy.

I thought Airmax told you to behave yourself?
Meh!
janesix
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/25/2016 9:55:20 PM

I suspect you are a sociopath. Do you have any empathy? Do you know what guilt feels like?
ViceRegent
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/25/2016 11:11:09 PM
At 5/25/2016 9:55:20 PM, janesix wrote:

I suspect you are a sociopath. Do you have any empathy? Do you know what guilt feels like?

Another irrational red herring mixed with much ad hominem. I expect nothing less from a mentally ill atheist. This loser shall waste no more of my time.
janesix
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/25/2016 11:32:35 PM
At 5/25/2016 11:11:09 PM, ViceRegent wrote:
At 5/25/2016 9:55:20 PM, janesix wrote:

Another irrational red herring mixed with much ad hominem. I expect nothing less from a mentally ill atheist. This loser shall waste no more of my time.

I am divided on whether you are a sociopath or a very low iq psychopath. I am leaning towards sociopath as phycopaths are able to control themselves, while sociopaths have little control over their emotions. Unfortunately their is no cure for your condition.
ViceRegent
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/25/2016 11:47:46 PM
Now that we have taken out the trash, let us go back to the OP with the hope we can find the very rare intelligent atheist.
A1tre
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/26/2016 6:29:47 AM
At 5/25/2016 11:47:46 PM, ViceRegent wrote:
Now that we have taken out the trash, let us go back to the OP with the hope we can find the very rare intelligent atheist.

You are not looking for an answer, are you. You just want people to commit to trying to give you an answer simply for you to call them a "moron" and dismiss whatever they proposed.
Then you turn the whole thing around and accuse the others of using emotional tactics when you clearly are the one doing so.

There is no discussion to be had with people like you, you are a real pest to those who strive for truth.
ViceRegent
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/26/2016 10:39:36 AM
Another atheist speaks despite having nothing to say. I get it, guys, you are irrational dolts. No need to try to keep proving it to me.
Kalleth
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/27/2016 3:57:05 AM
At 5/26/2016 10:39:36 AM, ViceRegent wrote:
Another atheist speaks despite having nothing to say. I get it, guys, you are irrational dolts. No need to try to keep proving it to me.

Which of my five senses leads me to conclude that there is no god?

None of them.

My senses provide me with sensory data of the world around me. It is my conscious mind that draws the conclusion that there is no god.

Now if you are willing to consider that if god does exist, none of my worldly senses can detect him, and yet, other people insist he is real while possessing no further worldly senses than my own, perhaps you can begin to at least understand my skepticism, if not agree with it?

P.S. I'm calling you on replying with an insult and denial. I'm giving myself a high-five and going to burn five bibles if you do.
missmedic
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/28/2016 2:54:33 PM
Atheists love to claim their epistemology is based on science.
Atheism is not a claim, and most often is a choice over faith................

Science is the first and best source for knowledge. And science tells us that we have more then five senses. It turns out, there are at least nine senses and most researchers think there are more like twenty-one or so. Just for reference, the commonly held definition of a "sense" is "any system that consists of a group of sensory cell types that respond to a specific physical phenomenon and that corresponds to a particular group of regions within the brain where the signals are received and interpreted.
Like most people, reason is used to find the truth.
now tell me I am wrong, insult me and we will move on......................