Total Posts:9|Showing Posts:1-9
Jump to topic:

What does it mean to beg the question?

roun12
Posts: 178
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/14/2016 11:42:28 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 6/14/2016 11:38:19 PM, ILoveSitarMusic wrote:
I am just curious.

https://www.logicallyfallacious.com...
"No, I disagree. 'R' is among the most menacing of sounds. That's why they call it MURDER, not Muckduck." - Dwight

"Tell people there's an invisible man in the sky who created the universe, and the vast majority will believe you. Tell them the paint is wet, and they have to touch it to be sure." - George Carlin
sadolite
Posts: 10,079
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/15/2016 6:35:21 AM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 6/14/2016 11:38:19 PM, ILoveSitarMusic wrote:
I am just curious.

Get on your knees and I will tell you.
Beware of the people who are in your circle but are not in your corner.

And with the stroke of a pen people 18 to 21 who own a gun became criminals and public enemy #1 having committed no crime and having said nothing. Just like the Jews in Germany during WW2. Must be a weird feeling.

When I hear people crying and whining about their first world problems I think about the universe with everything in it and people in wheelchairs and all of their problems go away.
keithprosser
Posts: 7,132
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/15/2016 8:34:40 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
I think the 'non standard' meaning 'prompts the question' is now to be preferred. Words and phrases cjange meaning over time and only a few pedants insist on its former sense... You are less likely to be misunderstood by most people if you use it on its new sense and being understood - not adherence to outmoded dictionary definitions - is what matters.

I'm not saying anything goes... But like 'billion' meaning million million ptq has changed.
n7
Posts: 1,465
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/15/2016 11:30:49 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 6/14/2016 11:38:19 PM, ILoveSitarMusic wrote:
I am just curious.

To make an assumption that's not stated in the argument.
404 coherent debate topic not found. Please restart the debate with clear resolution.


Uphold Marxist-Leninist-Maoist-Sargonist-n7ism.
AndDontCallMeShirley
Posts: 7
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/16/2016 12:04:02 AM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 6/15/2016 11:30:49 PM, n7 wrote:
At 6/14/2016 11:38:19 PM, ILoveSitarMusic wrote:
I am just curious.

To make an assumption that's not stated in the argument.

Actually, that's not right.

To "beg the question" is to assume the conclusion in the premises. E.g., "The Bible is divinely inspired, because God says so in the Bible."

It's a type of circular reasoning.
n7
Posts: 1,465
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/16/2016 3:55:56 AM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 6/16/2016 12:04:02 AM, AndDontCallMeShirley wrote:
At 6/15/2016 11:30:49 PM, n7 wrote:
At 6/14/2016 11:38:19 PM, ILoveSitarMusic wrote:
I am just curious.

To make an assumption that's not stated in the argument.

Actually, that's not right.

To "beg the question" is to assume the conclusion in the premises. E.g., "The Bible is divinely inspired, because God says so in the Bible."

It's a type of circular reasoning.
I've heard otherwise. This was from some lectures on logic. But I've also heard what you said, but thought it was wrong. Most websites confirm what you're saying though.
404 coherent debate topic not found. Please restart the debate with clear resolution.


Uphold Marxist-Leninist-Maoist-Sargonist-n7ism.
keithprosser
Posts: 7,132
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/16/2016 7:26:29 AM
Posted: 1 year ago
Clearly the original meaning is either not known or badly understood. The new meaning of 'leads one to ask' is understood by just about everybody and is how I would use the term - pedants be danged! Does anyone use 'decimate' to mean 'to kill one in ten' anymore?