Jump to topic:

Psychology an immature field.

M0nK3Y
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/19/2016 11:50:42 AM
Posted: 5 months ago
Psychology is immature because it's difficult to diagnose some characters, and I argue we should distinguish between a strong mentally ill person who does not suffer- and a 'weak' mentally ill person who suffers.

When someone is diagnosed with a mental illness, some deny that they suffer, and other people will accept it. It shouldn't be a case where every mentally ill person suffers, even if the word 'ill' gives the hint of a sufferer.

If someone proudly suggests disorganized thought, I argue that person is not suffering- it could be a complex belief or theory; if someone suggests a disorganized thought process unknowingly, then this is a case of suffering.

Take for example myself, and the common troll on the internet.

I write often abstract and complex theories, and trolls often derail threads to play to an audience.

I'm hyper vigilant, but I argue so is the common troll.

The troll is hyper vigilant unknowingly.

I will be vigilant about my race, I will be vigilant about my family and self. The troll, however, will be hyper vigilant about it's ego; the troll ping pongs with stupid debate to keep it's ego secure, to maintain a pleasant response from the audience over a sensible discussion or debate.

The troll also has disorganized thought.

I will project theories against academia and socially accepted theories. The troll will be submissive to social and academia.

In a gaming forum case, I may post a thread in search of a high-skilled team, and trolls may not contribute by saying "what about the stats you have?" with no explanation of why these stats matter when I've played team games by myself.

The burden of explaining why the stats matter is placed on my head, but it should be on their head. The comment, "think about your stats" is disorganized, and the troll either has a hidden agenda to derail the thread and is uncivil, or is what I argue to be a weak mentally ill person who suffers. Their thoughts are clearly disorganized...

I rest my case here that psychology, when mature, will target more difficult types, and maybe distinguish between a weak and strong mentally ill person.
janesix
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/19/2016 8:15:52 PM
At 6/19/2016 11:50:42 AM, M0nK3Y wrote:
Psychology is immature because it's difficult to diagnose some characters, and I argue we should distinguish between a strong mentally ill person who does not suffer- and a 'weak' mentally ill person who suffers.

When someone is diagnosed with a mental illness, some deny that they suffer, and other people will accept it. It shouldn't be a case where every mentally ill person suffers, even if the word 'ill' gives the hint of a sufferer.

If someone proudly suggests disorganized thought, I argue that person is not suffering- it could be a complex belief or theory; if someone suggests a disorganized thought process unknowingly, then this is a case of suffering.

I write often abstract and complex theories, and trolls often derail threads to play to an audience.

I will be vigilant about my race, I will be vigilant about my family and self. The troll, however, will be hyper vigilant about it's ego; the troll ping pongs with stupid debate to keep it's ego secure, to maintain a pleasant response from the audience over a sensible discussion or debate.

I doubt that. They know exactly what they are doing. A bully is not mentally ill, but many are psychopaths with no empathy. Which is not a mental illness in my book.

I will project theories against academia and socially accepted theories. The troll will be submissive to social and academia.

In a gaming forum case, I may post a thread in search of a high-skilled team, and trolls may not contribute by saying "what about the stats you have?" with no explanation of why these stats matter when I've played team games by myself.

The burden of explaining why the stats matter is placed on my head, but it should be on their head. The comment, "think about your stats" is disorganized, and the troll either has a hidden agenda to derail the thread and is uncivil, or is what I argue to be a weak mentally ill person who suffers. Their thoughts are clearly disorganized...

I rest my case here that psychology, when mature, will target more difficult types, and maybe distinguish between a weak and strong mentally ill person.
M0nK3Y
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/19/2016 8:23:44 PM
Not at all.

It's an immature field.

They don't know exactly what they're doing, they know what to diagnose, but not who to diagnose.

There were tests that involved undercover sane people, and these people were sectioned. If you went to a mental hospital, you would probably be sectioned for further examination; and it would likely lead to them discovering some sort of illness.
OlaNordmann
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/19/2016 10:30:04 PM
At 6/19/2016 8:23:44 PM, M0nK3Y wrote:
They don't know exactly what they're doing, they know what to diagnose, but not who to diagnose.

That's how it works yeah. A therapist can't give a patient a diagnosis before analyzing them. The therapist shouldn't be concerned with who to diagnose. Please clarify your point, i just don't understand it, so I can't respond to it.
Cryo
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/20/2016 1:16:43 AM
I'm gonna go ahead and guess that you've never studied psychology. I read your post twice and I'm still not sure what you're trying to say.
YYW
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/20/2016 1:17:13 AM
At 6/20/2016 1:16:43 AM, Cryo wrote:
I'm gonna go ahead and guess that you've never studied psychology. I read your post twice and I'm still not sure what you're trying to say.

I'm going to guess you haven't either.
Tsar of DDO
Cryo
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/20/2016 1:19:03 AM
At 6/20/2016 1:17:13 AM, YYW wrote:

I have, actually, which is exactly why his post is confusing.
YYW
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/20/2016 1:19:31 AM
At 6/20/2016 1:19:03 AM, Cryo wrote:

As what... an elective when you were an undergraduate?

lol

I guess you're our new resident expert?
Tsar of DDO
Cryo
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/20/2016 1:21:12 AM
At 6/20/2016 1:19:31 AM, YYW wrote:

lol

It was more than an elective, and I never claimed to be any sort of expert on the subject. It wasn't even implied.
YYW
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/20/2016 1:24:21 AM
At 6/20/2016 1:21:12 AM, Cryo wrote:

lol

It was more than an elective, and I never claimed to be any sort of expert on the subject. It wasn't even implied.

I'm glad we're in agreement that you're out of your depth.
Tsar of DDO
Cryo
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/20/2016 1:29:44 AM
At 6/20/2016 1:24:21 AM, YYW wrote:

lol

So if I'm not an expert, then I'm automatically out of my depth. Once again, I'm astounded by your logic and reasoning. I just can't keep up with you. You must really enjoy following people around on this site though.
YYW
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/20/2016 1:30:50 AM
At 6/20/2016 1:29:44 AM, Cryo wrote:

lol

So if I'm not an expert, then I'm automatically out of my depth. Once again, I'm astounded by your logic and reasoning. I just can't keep up with you. You must really enjoy following people around on this site though.

Paranoid. Classic signs of it.
Tsar of DDO
Cryo
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/20/2016 1:34:01 AM
At 6/20/2016 1:30:50 AM, YYW wrote:

lol

Whoa, you diagnosed me over the internet! Seriously, I'm freaking out right now. I bow down to your psychological expertise!
YYW
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/20/2016 1:37:41 AM
At 6/20/2016 1:34:01 AM, Cryo wrote:

lol

Whoa, you diagnosed me over the internet! Seriously, I'm freaking out right now. I bow down to your psychological expertise!

So I wonder what your previous account on DDO was....
Tsar of DDO
Cryo
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/20/2016 1:40:15 AM
At 6/20/2016 1:37:41 AM, YYW wrote:
At 6/20/2016 1:34:01 AM, Cryo wrote:

lol

So I wonder what your previous account on DDO was....

Hey, what makes you think I had a previous account here? Do I remind you of anyone?
Syko
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/20/2016 2:25:55 AM
At 6/20/2016 1:40:15 AM, Cryo wrote:
Hey, what makes you think I had a previous account here? Do I remind you of anyone?

Yes you definitely fit the bill for RM. He's probably several people talking to himself in this thread already. Maybe he's me. O.o
For Mother Russia.
Cryo
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/20/2016 2:28:37 AM
At 6/20/2016 2:25:55 AM, Syko wrote:

Yes you definitely fit the bill for RM. He's probably several people talking to himself in this thread already. Maybe he's me. O.o

I don't think I know who I am anymore.
Syko
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/20/2016 2:29:38 AM
@OP.

Psychology is one of the most recent entries into the field of science. Only a hundred and something years ago it was arguably philosophy. We generally point to a person named Wilhelm Wundt as being the first person to study psychology as a scientific discipline. Since then, it's developed through various schools of thought into the current one, which emphasizes the influences of all Biological, psychological and social factors as determinates for behaviours/mental processes.

However your complaints are non sensical. We have diagnostic manuals such as the DSM 5 and the ICD 10 for dealing with what your claiming are issues in psychology that we somehow can't deal with.
For Mother Russia.
Syko
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/20/2016 2:30:15 AM
At 6/20/2016 2:28:37 AM, Cryo wrote:

Are you a psychology student?
For Mother Russia.
Cryo
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/20/2016 3:53:42 AM
At 6/20/2016 2:30:15 AM, Syko wrote:

I am.
Hiu
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/20/2016 10:20:15 AM
At 6/19/2016 11:50:42 AM, M0nK3Y wrote:

If I may speak on the subject of psychology coming as a post-graduate student (my degree was in brain and cognitive behavior e.g. Neuropsychology), I believe your views of psychology are misplaced. What you must consider is that when making a diagnosis most psychologists go by what we call the DSM, or Diagnostic Statistical Manual which helps define, explain, and diagnose certain mental disorders.

In therapy to get to the crux of someone's psychological abnormality, the therapist needs to evaluate the individual and cross reference their psychopathology to see if what they're suffering from could be the result of a true abnormality. I think with your example was an extreme one.
Syko
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/20/2016 11:40:55 AM
At 6/20/2016 3:53:42 AM, Cryo wrote:

I am.

Same :D

do you study general psyche or a specific psyche?
For Mother Russia.
Cryo
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/20/2016 7:22:23 PM
At 6/20/2016 11:40:55 AM, Syko wrote:

I am.

Cool, I'm studying consumer psychology, and yourself?
Syko
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/21/2016 2:38:09 AM
At 6/20/2016 7:22:23 PM, Cryo wrote:
At 6/20/2016 11:40:55 AM, Syko wrote:

I am.

Cool, I'm studying consumer psychology, and yourself?

Neuropsychology :P interesting branch, advertising is, imo.
For Mother Russia.
M0nK3Y
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/21/2016 10:23:34 AM
I don't think general banter or self affirmation contradicts any point I've made in the original post.
Hiu
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/21/2016 1:08:25 PM
At 6/21/2016 10:23:34 AM, M0nK3Y wrote:
I don't think general banter or self affirmation contradicts any point I've made in the original post.

Your original point was baseless....You completely overlooked my post.