Jump to topic:

The nature of truth/reality

That1User
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/9/2016 1:42:59 AM
Posted: 5 months ago
I just had a heated argument that eventually boiled down to: Is truth/reality objective or subjective? What do you guys think?
"Our life is what our thoughts make it."
R13; Marcus Aurelius
"When you arise in the morning, think of what a precious privilege it is to be alive - to breathe, to think, to enjoy, to love." -Marcus Aurelius
"Man is free at the moment he wishes to be." -Voltaire
"Every man is guilty of all the good he did not do. "-Voltaire
Bob13
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/9/2016 12:09:00 PM
At 7/9/2016 1:42:59 AM, That1User wrote:
I just had a heated argument that eventually boiled down to: Is truth/reality objective or subjective? What do you guys think?

It's objective. People don't decide for themselves what's true and what's not, it's a verifiable fact.
I don't have a signature. :-)
difference
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/10/2016 1:17:10 AM

What is meant by objective or subjective? I think it isn't distinguishable with how I understand it.
AlyceTheElectrician
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/27/2016 11:30:54 PM
Posted: 4 months ago
In my observation truth is both subjective and objective, however reality and truth don't necessarily correlate to each other because reality is perceived.

Objective truths are found in nature, and are discovered, like gravity is an objective truth.

Subjective truth is created by consensus or collective agreement, but there can be objections to that consensus

For instance colors, you would say something is sky blue, but then some fashion guru would come along and say "well actually it's not sky blue it is cerulean".

My observation of reality is that it's a consistent occurrence, but made with perception and has room for exceptions.

For instance if you shoot someone in the head with a gun they should die, except there are some who don't.
Be who you are, Say what you feel, Because those who mind don"t matter, And those who matter don't mind.

BANGTAN! Blood, Sweat, & Tears> Check it out yes! https://www.youtube.com...
capob
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/28/2016 4:38:41 AM

This reminds me of a month long debate I had with someone on whether it was truly possible to communicate meaning.

I'll tell you what: you are arguing something that doesn't matter and you can't know. For all you know, everyone else is a figment of your imagination, you are in a brain machine, and everything around you is a subjective illusion.

You have to work with what appears to be the case, and what appears to be the case is that there is objective truth (it's called science). Or, you could go the other way. But, if you do, go the other way really quickly in the vicinity of rocky cliffs.
wuliheron
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/29/2016 7:17:24 PM
Existence is demonstrably paradoxical with some of the newer field theories even suggesting everything both exists and doesn't simultaneously. Hence, Godel's Theorem is merely an example of how anything can beg the question because any self-evident truth provides its own proofs and truths. Similarly, the answer to Russel's Paradox is that the set of all sets is simultaneously an unchanging indeterminate ideal and an infinitely evolving function. However, all that goobledy gook means is that love, humor, and the truth justify themselves because the smallest pond can be the busiest place when yin-yang dynamics exclude metaphysical extremes.
sadolite
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/6/2016 3:53:52 PM

Truth and reality are objective. You can not sustain any kind of living or life without it being any other way. Pretending reality and truth are subjective always fails and comes crashing down like a deck of cards every time you try to live that way. Truth and reality are inescapable. You will always be slapped in the face by it, always. I used to live in denial, then truth and reality slapped me in the face.
It's not your views that divide us, it's what you think my views should be that divides us.

If you think I will give up my rights and forsake social etiquette to make you "FEEL" better you are sadly mistaken

If liberal democrats would just stop shooting people gun violence would drop by 90%
wuliheron
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/6/2016 4:44:02 PM
At 8/6/2016 3:53:52 PM, sadolite wrote:

Truth and reality are objective. You can not sustain any kind of living or life without it being any other way. Pretending reality and truth are subjective always fails and comes crashing down like a deck of cards every time you try to live that way. Truth and reality are inescapable. You will always be slapped in the face by it, always. I used to live in denial, then truth and reality slapped me in the face.

Reality without dreams is meaningless. You can run, but you can never hide.
sadolite
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/6/2016 4:51:29 PM
At 8/6/2016 4:44:02 PM, wuliheron wrote:

What do dreams become if they are plausible>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Reality. Truth and Reality always wins. Dreams are dreams, nothing more, you must enter truth and reality to make a dream come to fruition.
It's not your views that divide us, it's what you think my views should be that divides us.

If you think I will give up my rights and forsake social etiquette to make you "FEEL" better you are sadly mistaken

If liberal democrats would just stop shooting people gun violence would drop by 90%
wuliheron
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/6/2016 8:50:00 PM
At 8/6/2016 4:51:29 PM, sadolite wrote:

What do dreams become if they are plausible>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Reality. Truth and Reality always wins. Dreams are dreams, nothing more, you must enter truth and reality to make a dream come to fruition.

The One greater Truth that the greater context always determines what is true is what determines whatever we might choose to define as true and false, reality and dream. The greater truth, you could say, only asserts itself within the silent void that for any truth to be demonstrable it must first humbly or graciously shared. Saying something is objective has no meaning outside of the fact we can be subjective.
sadolite
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/7/2016 1:45:03 PM
At 8/6/2016 8:50:00 PM, wuliheron wrote:

The One greater Truth that the greater context always determines what is true is what determines whatever we might choose to define as true and false, reality and dream. The greater truth, you could say, only asserts itself within the silent void that for any truth to be demonstrable it must first humbly or graciously shared. Saying something is objective has no meaning outside of the fact we can be subjective.

Truth and reality are not complicated and not philosophical. You will always be slapped in the face by it. It is unavoidable and can not be fooled by words.

wuliheron
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/7/2016 4:09:49 PM
At 8/7/2016 1:45:03 PM, sadolite wrote:
At 8/6/2016 8:50:00 PM, wuliheron wrote:

Truth and reality are not complicated and not philosophical. You will always be slapped in the face by it. It is unavoidable and can not be fooled by words.

The greater context of the greater truth trumps everything else including the greater truth there is more in heaven and earth than dreamt of in all out childish philosophies. :)