SJM
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/14/2016 1:20:08 AM
Posted: 4 months ago
At 7/14/2016 1:10:05 AM, HeavenlyPanda wrote:
Is 1 greater, equal or less than 10?

Neither, they have no connection with each other in the mathematics sense since they are both not on a singular line thus not comparable. Instead they are in different dimensions, the definition of greater or lesser would have to do with quantity if we are talking mathematically, but 1 and 10 do not represent quantities.
Hitler- If you tell a big enough lie and tell it frequently enough, it will be believed.

Stalin- Ideas are more powerful than guns. We would not let our enemies have guns, why should we let them have ideas.

Machiavelli- It is better to be feared than loved, if you cannot be both.

Ivan the Terrible- "I will not see the destruction of the Christian converts who are loyal to me, and to my last breath I will fight for the Orthodox faith
SJM
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/14/2016 1:22:45 AM
And pick a debate topic.
Hitler- If you tell a big enough lie and tell it frequently enough, it will be believed.

Stalin- Ideas are more powerful than guns. We would not let our enemies have guns, why should we let them have ideas.

Ivan the Terrible- "I will not see the destruction of the Christian converts who are loyal to me, and to my last breath I will fight for the Orthodox faith
HeavenlyPanda
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/14/2016 1:42:03 AM
At 7/14/2016 1:20:08 AM, SJM wrote:

Neither, they have no connection with each other in the mathematics sense since they are both not on a singular line thus not comparable. Instead they are in different dimensions, the definition of greater or lesser would have to do with quantity if we are talking mathematically, but 1 and 10 do not represent quantities.

So you believe that 1 is less and greater than 10 all at the same time?
HeavenlyPanda. The most heavenly of all heavenly creatures.
SJM
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/14/2016 1:45:04 AM
At 7/14/2016 1:42:03 AM, HeavenlyPanda wrote:

I believe neither. Saying one is less or greater would contradict what I just said.

HeavenlyPanda
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/14/2016 2:25:39 AM
At 7/14/2016 1:45:04 AM, SJM wrote:

I believe neither. Saying one is less or greater would contradict what I just said.

You have not chosen an option therefore you believe that 1 is greater, unequal, and less than 10 all at the same time?
SJM
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/14/2016 2:27:59 AM
At 7/14/2016 2:25:39 AM, HeavenlyPanda wrote:

You have not chosen an option therefore you believe that 1 is greater, unequal, and less than 10 all at the same time?

.....I think neither is greater or lesser, I think they aren't comparable.

HeavenlyPanda
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/14/2016 2:30:36 AM
At 7/14/2016 2:27:59 AM, SJM wrote:

So technically for you 10 could be less than 1 and 1 could be greater than 10?
SJM
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/14/2016 2:35:56 AM
At 7/14/2016 2:30:36 AM, HeavenlyPanda wrote:

Nooooooooo they couldn't be either.

HeavenlyPanda
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/14/2016 2:38:29 AM
At 7/14/2016 2:35:56 AM, SJM wrote:

So you believe that 10 could be greater an less than one and 1 could be greater and less than ten?
SJM
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/14/2016 2:42:03 AM
At 7/14/2016 2:38:29 AM, HeavenlyPanda wrote:
At 7/14/2016 2:35:56 AM, SJM wrote:

So you believe that 10 could be greater an less than one and 1 could be greater and less than ten?

No, one can't be greater or lesser than the other.

SJM
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/14/2016 5:41:08 AM
At 7/14/2016 2:47:22 AM, HeavenlyPanda wrote:
That still means that you believe 1 is greater than ten.

I don't think you understand when I say something isn't comparable.

SJM
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/14/2016 10:54:11 AM

And make a debate for us, but put a short character limit so that people will actually vote.

HeavenlyPanda
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/14/2016 1:36:55 PM
At 7/14/2016 5:41:08 AM, SJM wrote:

But I can compare that 4 apples are greater than 1 apple. Those are both numbers. Therefor you still believe that 1 can be greater and less than ten all at the same time and vice versa with 10. Plus you believe that both numbers cannot be compared.
SJM
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/14/2016 1:47:27 PM
At 7/14/2016 1:36:55 PM, HeavenlyPanda wrote:

But I can compare that 4 apples are greater than 1 apple. Those are both numbers. Therefor you still believe that 1 can be greater and less than ten all at the same time and vice versa with 10. Plus you believe that both numbers cannot be compared.

No you can not compare the 4 apples are greater than 1 because they don't represent quantities, but they represent infinite energy, therefore those apples are actually infinite energy, and you can't measure the ends of infinite energy.

Also I don't believe that they can be compared, therefore you can't say something is in relation with another which you are doing. If you say something is greater or lesser, you are describing a relation. I'm saying there is no relation, therefore you can't say one is greater or lesser in quantity. For example, you can't say there is a greater number of A than B.

HeavenlyPanda
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/14/2016 2:03:51 PM
At 7/14/2016 1:47:27 PM, SJM wrote:

No you can not compare the 4 apples are greater than 1 because they don't represent quantities, but they represent infinite energy, therefore those apples are actually infinite energy, and you can't measure the ends of infinite energy.

Also I don't believe that they can be compared, therefore you can't say something is in relation with another which you are doing. If you say something is greater or lesser, you are describing a relation. I'm saying there is no relation, therefore you can't say one is greater or lesser in quantity. For example, you can't say there is a greater number of A than B.

So you're practically admitting that 1>10. Why can't I compare a number?
keithprosser
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/14/2016 4:32:59 PM
In terms you might understand, HeavenlyP, imagine one day your keeper gives you one bamboo stick and you eat it in the morning. Then you will have nothing to eat before bedtime. But if your keeper gives you ten bamboo sticks you will have lots more to eat later - I think it's about nine sticks, but I'm not great at higher calculus so that might be a bit out. Anyway, you could share what is left with that nice panda from China, and eat bamboo instead of doing sex which I know you don't like, and I can't blame you because I don't fancy doing sex with panda either.

So for bamboo sticks to eat then is greater than one.

Of course if you are being beaten with a bamboo stick you might think once is not exactly good, but compared to ten times it is great, so in that case 1 is greater than 10. However no one is going to beat a panda so don't worry about it.
SJM
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/14/2016 8:18:02 PM
At 7/14/2016 2:03:51 PM, HeavenlyPanda wrote:

...I just told you why and how they can't be compared.

HeavenlyPanda
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/14/2016 8:22:38 PM
At 7/14/2016 8:18:02 PM, SJM wrote:

Say for example that the only thing that exists in the universe is a group of apples. On one side there is one apple and on the other side there is ten apples. Is not the ten apples greater than the one apple?
SJM
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/14/2016 8:29:56 PM
At 7/14/2016 8:22:38 PM, HeavenlyPanda wrote:
At 7/14/2016 8:18:02 PM, SJM wrote:

Say for example that the only thing that exists in the universe is a group of apples. On one side there is one apple and on the other side there is ten apples. Is not the ten apples greater than the one apple?

No

Tokamak
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/14/2016 8:39:50 PM

By definition, if A and B are members of the set of natural numbers and there exists some natural number C such that A + C = B, then A < B.

1 + 9 = 10

Therefore, 1 is less than 10.
"Doubt is not a pleasant condition, but certainty is absurd."
-Voltaire
HeavenlyPanda
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/14/2016 8:49:28 PM
At 7/14/2016 8:39:50 PM, Tokamak wrote:

By definition, if A and B are members of the set of natural numbers and there exists some natural number C such that A + C = B, then A < B.

1 + 9 = 10

What if C was zero. Then they'd be equal. Are you sure about that?
Tokamak
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/14/2016 9:10:23 PM
At 7/14/2016 8:49:28 PM, HeavenlyPanda wrote:

1 + 9 = 10

Zero is, by definition, not a member of the set of natural numbers.
"Doubt is not a pleasant condition, but certainty is absurd."
-Voltaire
HeavenlyPanda
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/14/2016 10:23:16 PM
At 7/14/2016 9:10:23 PM, Tokamak wrote:
At 7/14/2016 8:49:28 PM, HeavenlyPanda wrote:

1 + 9 = 10

Zero is, by definition, not a member of the set of natural numbers.

So? It still could be a zero. What if 1 and 10 were equal?
SJM
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/14/2016 11:17:42 PM

Make a debate