Existence . . .

SuperRobotWars
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/26/2010 10:37:13 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
Existence . . .
If I were to disassemble myself and convert all of my physical and mental information into data and then that data is used to reconstruct me, do I cease to exist? Is it a replica of me in every possible way yet not me?
Minister Of Trolling
: At 12/6/2011 2:21:41 PM, badger wrote:
: ugly people should beat beautiful people ugly. simple! you'd be killing two birds with the one stone... women like violent men and you're making yourself more attractive, relatively. i met a blonde dude who was prettier than me not so long ago. he's not so pretty now! ha!
:
: ...and well, he wasn't really prettier than me. he just had nice hair.
Kleptin
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/26/2010 10:47:02 PM
In my opinion? No. This is heavily dependent on your definition of identity.

Does a person cease to exist if they develop amnesia and forget who they are?
: At 5/2/2010 2:43:54 PM, innomen wrote:
It isn't about finding a theory, philosophy or doctrine and thinking it's the answer, but a practical application of one's experiences that is the answer.

: At 10/28/2010 2:40:07 PM, jharry wrote: I have already been given the greatest Gift that anyone could ever hope for [Life], I would consider myself selfish if I expected anything more.
vardas0antras
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/26/2010 10:51:06 PM
At 12/26/2010 10:37:13 PM, SuperRobotWars wrote:
Existence . . .
If I were to disassemble myself and convert all of my physical and mental information into data and then that data is used to reconstruct me, do I cease to exist? Is it a replica of me in every possible way yet not me?

How can it be not you ?
"When he awoke in a tomb three days later he would actually have believed that he rose from the dead" FREEDO about the resurrection of Jesus Christ
Zetsubou
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/26/2010 10:58:53 PM
The latter.
If I were to disassemble myself

At some moment in time you are destroyed; that reincarnation is created not by any form of your physical or spiritual essence but by data. For that reason you are not yourself but a replica

This all relies on dualism btw. If all physical existence(and your own) is only in the material world, then yes, it would be you since there is no difference between you and your earlier being. In dualism the unrecordable, spiritual being, will be lost since data cannot record it.
'sup DDO -- july 2013
FREEDO
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/26/2010 11:07:44 PM
Are you still you if you are destroyed and recreated just as you were, even if it were a 1,000 years from now? First you must ask: do I ever remain the same person for any duration of time?

I say no one is truly an individual but many individuals. Every thought you have means you have changed. "You" cease to exist every second. Reconstructing yourself makes no difference, even with a gap of "nonexistance" in-between.
GRAND POOBAH OF DDO

fnord
tvellalott
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/27/2010 1:23:55 AM
Existence . . .

No. This is a form of evolution and a viable path to immortality.
"Caitlyn Jenner is an incredibly brave and stunningly beautiful woman."

Muh threads
Using mafia tactics in real-life: http://www.debate.org...
6 years of DDO: http://www.debate.org...
Ore_Ele
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/27/2010 1:26:47 AM
Existence . . .

That leads to another question. If that data is used to create two of you, are you both the same person, in all legal senses? Or are you two different people?
"Wanting Red Rhino Pill to have gender"
gerrandesquire
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/27/2010 2:26:58 AM
Existence . . .

That depends on your perspective. How do you define yourself? Do you define yourself by your emotions, your intelligence, or your take on different situations?

Personally, I believe that a man's identity is his experience. So, if you were disassembled and reassembled, you are still the same person if your experience in life is not tampered. In fact, if you have the memory of being dissected, you are an evolved You.
gerrandesquire
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/27/2010 2:30:10 AM
At 12/27/2010 1:26:47 AM, OreEle wrote:
Existence . . .

That leads to another question. If that data is used to create two of you, are you both the same person, in all legal senses? Or are you two different people?

In legal senses, i guess not. The two replicas would be treated as twins, because though their past, and their experience upto the date is same, The actions taken by them from the day on would bound to be different. And for all legal purposes, each would be responsible for his own.
M.Torres
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/27/2010 4:21:39 AM
I agree, in that what constitutes "you" has not changed. If I took a pen, disassembled that pen, and then put it back together, then yeah, it's still the same pen.

Also, in response to the clone thing, it's just another "you". Your identity does not change when another "you" is made. It's like if you had a car, and you built another car EXACTLY like it, then there is no difference. The difference is it is a whole other car.

So for legal purposes? Your obviously two different people. But your identities are the same. However, that will not last long because people are dynamic, and we change over time. So eventually, there would be a discernible difference. Like if one of the aforementioned cars got a dent. Then, the identities are different.
: At 11/28/2011 1:28:24 PM, BlackVoid wrote:
: M. Torres said it, so it must be right.

I'm an Apatheistic Ignostic. ... problem? ;D

I believe in the heart of the cards. .:DDO Duelist:.
tigg13
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/27/2010 4:40:14 PM
Existence . . .

From a physical stand point the cells in your body are constantly deconstructing and reconstructing themselves, so the parts (cell, molecules, atoms) that make up who you are now are not that ones that you started with. Yet are you not the same you that you've always been?

As far s conscious identity goes, though, how can we say for sure that we didn't come into existence the moment we woke up this morning? (I'm not saying that reality came into existence this morning, just our present sense of self.) Is the you that exists in your memory the same you that you are now?
tvellalott
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/28/2010 9:44:05 AM
At 12/27/2010 1:44:51 AM, Puck wrote:
At 12/27/2010 1:23:55 AM, tvellalott wrote:
Existence . . .

No. This is a form of evolution

?

and a viable path to immortality.

?

I suppose I used the word "evolution" a bit loosely, but I don't see what you don't understand. If we were to move from being flesh and blood to being intelligent data in a machine, which I think is what the OP was talking about, then we would have evolved past a lot of our faults. Imagine having your exact functions, except you were controlled remotely by your own digitalised self. If your body is damaged or destroyed, you could simply build another one.
It's probably hundreds of years away, but based on ever increasing technology, I see it as a definate possibility. I love sci-fi stuff.
"Caitlyn Jenner is an incredibly brave and stunningly beautiful woman."

Muh threads
Using mafia tactics in real-life: http://www.debate.org...
6 years of DDO: http://www.debate.org...
Ore_Ele
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/29/2010 6:02:32 PM
At 12/27/2010 2:30:10 AM, gerrandesquire wrote:
At 12/27/2010 1:26:47 AM, OreEle wrote:
Existence . . .

In legal senses, i guess not. The two replicas would be treated as twins, because though their past, and their experience upto the date is same, The actions taken by them from the day on would bound to be different. And for all legal purposes, each would be responsible for his own.

Very true, but which would we call SuperRobotWars? Who is the original? Were they both?

Let's say SRW committed murder, then dismantled himself and created two of him, which is legally responsible for such past actions? Both? Neither? Whichever one we catch first (I'm sure the prosecution would go with this one)?

Who would be responsible for any possible child support payments? Or paying back any debt?
Ore_Ele
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/29/2010 6:06:49 PM
At 12/27/2010 4:21:39 AM, M.Torres wrote:
I agree, in that what constitutes "you" has not changed. If I took a pen, disassembled that pen, and then put it back together, then yeah, it's still the same pen.

Also, in response to the clone thing, it's just another "you". Your identity does not change when another "you" is made. It's like if you had a car, and you built another car EXACTLY like it, then there is no difference. The difference is it is a whole other car.

So for legal purposes? Your obviously two different people. But your identities are the same. However, that will not last long because people are dynamic, and we change over time. So eventually, there would be a discernible difference. Like if one of the aforementioned cars got a dent. Then, the identities are different.

The pen question is similar to another question I've always pondered (usually when drunk or bored).

If you have bicycle (this can really be applied to any object with many parts). If I replace the brakes, so it has new brakes, but the rest is old, is it a different bike? If I replace a wheel, is it a new bike? If I crack the frame and replace that, but leave everything else, is it not the same bike I grew up with? If I replace one part at a time until the entire thing is eventually new parts and nothing old is left, is it the same bike? At what point did it become a different bike?
minervx
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/1/2011 5:36:36 PM
that's a big "if", since its not feasible in reality.

the overall question is if existence is interrupted does the person still remain the same?

my answer is yes
Cowboy0108
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/27/2013 10:40:09 AM
Posted: 3 years ago
Existence . . .

You continue to exist as long as you are an influence. Even if you are dead, your ideas still exist.
Df0512
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/27/2013 7:20:22 PM
Existence . . .

If our consciousness turned out to be just a series of neurons and synapses or whatever it is, i'd say you would not cease to exist. What ever neurons and synapses that gave you your personality, would have been reconstructed. If it turns out that our consciousness is something different, maybe something a kin to a spirit, i'd say you would cease to exist. Obviously, that entity would not be reconstructed therefore you'd have no consciousness. That is unless I am wrong and your consciousness found it's way to the newly reconstructed body.
Df0512
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/27/2013 7:40:22 PM
At 8/27/2013 10:40:09 AM, Cowboy0108 wrote:
Existence . . .

You continue to exist as long as you are an influence. Even if you are dead, your ideas still exist.

If your ideals exist, you exist?
Cowboy0108
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/27/2013 7:57:03 PM
At 8/27/2013 7:40:22 PM, Df0512 wrote:
At 8/27/2013 10:40:09 AM, Cowboy0108 wrote:
Existence . . .

If your ideals exist, you exist?

You can be dead and still exist intellectually. MLK exists in desegregation. Thomas Jefferson and John Locke exist in the Declaration of Independence. James Madison exists in the Constitution. These men are all dead, but their influence still exists, thus, they exist, if only in part.
wiploc
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/27/2013 11:04:57 PM
Existence . . .

It just depends on what you mean by "me." If you define the word, then there is no mystery.