Jump to topic:

But I'm ill...

GodSands
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/27/2010 1:20:34 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
Have you ever been in a situation where you go to work or perhaps school/college and the teacher or your boss is some what annoyed about you wanting to go home?

They sigh and they quietly huff a little as they make the decision to allow you to go home.

Example 1:
A man wakes up feeling a little ill, however he gives the day ago and goes to work. 2,3 hours into the working day, he wants to o home. He goes and tell his boss, "Can I go home please, I feel unwell." The boss replies, "Arr, how unwell?" The man explains how unwell he is and after some convincing is allowed to go home. Naturally happy, the man grins, the boss sees the grin and says, "Wipe that grin away, you're ill!"

The man goes home and rests.

The message of that example is this; the boss did not want the man to go home and rest, but instead work as normal.

However if the situation changes, the whole picture does too.

Example 2:
Another man is ill, but it is the same boss. That night, everyone from work planned to have a night out and go for a few drinks, to enjoy themselves a little. The man was ill, the boss could tell that he was by his coughs and sneezes, croaky voice and other symptoms. The boss said nothing to him, knowing he was under the weather, nothing was said. The man felt too ill and said I don't think I will come out tonight. The boss agreed, "Yeah you don't look too great, you best not."

In this example the boss agreed for the man to not go out but instead go home and rest. But in example 1 the boss had to be convinced that he was ill. The boss is being inconsistent, because he did not have to be convinced about the illness of the man when the man could go out and have fun. But needed convincing when the man had to work. The boss should be convinced for both terms, not just one. Or the boss shouldn't have to be for either. The way I see it is, if you are ill, go home, if you're not, don't.

Despite how ill you are, illness accumulates and gets worse, if not treated. Rest is treatment. Not work.

Also illness can spread. Flu and the common cold are know to spread well. So why stick around with other people.

Who agrees or disagrees with me?
TheAtheistAllegiance
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/27/2010 1:47:40 PM
At 12/27/2010 1:20:34 PM, GodSands wrote:
Have you ever been in a situation where you go to work or perhaps school/college and the teacher or your boss is some what annoyed about you wanting to go home?

They sigh and they quietly huff a little as they make the decision to allow you to go home.

Example 1:
A man wakes up feeling a little ill, however he gives the day ago and goes to work. 2,3 hours into the working day, he wants to o home. He goes and tell his boss, "Can I go home please, I feel unwell." The boss replies, "Arr, how unwell?" The man explains how unwell he is and after some convincing is allowed to go home. Naturally happy, the man grins, the boss sees the grin and says, "Wipe that grin away, you're ill!"

The message of that example is this; the boss did not want the man to go home and rest, but instead work as normal.

Example 2:
Another man is ill, but it is the same boss. That night, everyone from work planned to have a night out and go for a few drinks, to enjoy themselves a little. The man was ill, the boss could tell that he was by his coughs and sneezes, croaky voice and other symptoms. The boss said nothing to him, knowing he was under the weather, nothing was said. The man felt too ill and said I don't think I will come out tonight. The boss agreed, "Yeah you don't look too great, you best not."

In this example the boss agreed for the man to not go out but instead go home and rest. But in example 1 the boss had to be convinced that he was ill. The boss is being inconsistent, because he did not have to be convinced about the illness of the man when the man could go out and have fun. But needed convincing when the man had to work. The boss should be convinced for both terms, not just one. Or the boss shouldn't have to be for either. The way I see it is, if you are ill, go home, if you're not, don't.

Despite how ill you are, illness accumulates and gets worse, if not treated. Rest is treatment. Not work.

Also illness can spread. Flu and the common cold are know to spread well. So why stick around with other people.

The boss doesn't feel like being understaffed or having to call someone else in, so he has to be persuaded to let someone go home. However, the after-work party doesn't affect the bottom line in any way, so the boss doesn't really care and demands less reasoning/persuasion. I agree with you, though.
tigg13
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/27/2010 2:31:52 PM
At 12/27/2010 1:20:34 PM, GodSands wrote:

Example 1:

Example 2:

I disagree with you; the boss was not inconsistent.

In both cases the boss had to be convinced that the man was sick. In the first, he was convinced by the man's words and in the second he was convinced by the man's behavior. In both the boss recognized the value of the man as an employee and the importance of rest in dealing with an illness. The difference between the two cases was the man's desire: he wanted to avoid work in the first, but he didn't want to miss the party in the second
wamba
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/27/2010 2:39:24 PM
The boss is not inconsistent.

People lie about illness on a consistent basis.

Therefore when the employee asks to miss work, the boss has to be skeptical so as to retain optimal amounts of work.

The boss is responsible for work, he is not responsible for having fun outside of work.

Work is his domain.

After is not.

Therefore when the second employee is talking to the boss, he isn't talking to the boss on a boss to employee level but a more personal person to person level.
GodSands
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/27/2010 5:59:50 PM
: At 12/27/2010 2:39:24 PM, wamba wrote:
The boss is not inconsistent.

People lie about illness on a consistent basis.

Therefore when the employee asks to miss work, the boss has to be skeptical so as to retain optimal amounts of work.

The boss is responsible for work, he is not responsible for having fun outside of work.

Work is his domain.

After is not.

Therefore when the second employee is talking to the boss, he isn't talking to the boss on a boss to employee level but a more personal person to person level.

In this case no one is lying. You can tell if someone is lying when you know they stayed up the night before drinking until 6am.
gavin.ogden
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/28/2010 2:50:27 PM
Disagree, the boss is not paying him to go out, so he really has no say. He is, on the other hand, paying him to show up to work on time, and stay throughout the day. The boss can be a nice guy and let him go home, or he can tell the guy to sit down and go to work. The employee can quit if wants to, or he can suck it up and go to work. It all seems very consistent to me.
nonentity
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/28/2010 2:57:00 PM
I disagree. Example 1 has never happened to me lol. I had to go home ill just a couple of weeks ago. It is only natural for someone to ask you "what's wrong" when you say that you are "sick". And honestly, if you're sick enough to go home, why are you grinning?
GodSands
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/28/2010 3:19:28 PM
: At 12/28/2010 2:50:27 PM, gavin.ogden wrote:
Disagree, the boss is not paying him to go out, so he really has no say. He is, on the other hand, paying him to show up to work on time, and stay throughout the day. The boss can be a nice guy and let him go home, or he can tell the guy to sit down and go to work. The employee can quit if wants to, or he can suck it up and go to work. It all seems very consistent to me.

Not taking in the risks which illness brings, of course illness makes you feel bad, but it can spread and effects others. If you are ill and that if you stick around others, it is likely someone else will catch your cold/flu. So if the boss cared, he would say, "Go home, you might make others unwell and that wouldn't help the business." It wouldn't help anyone. Having a ill person helping run a business which should be at best for it's costumers.