Jump to topic:

Listening to church sermons as an apatheist

1harderthanyouthink
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/31/2016 11:21:54 PM
Posted: 4 months ago
I go to church every week, because my family is Catholic. I don't know more than one person in my family who is openly atheistic (first cousin once removed). So, I don't quite speak often on the matters of god(s) or assumed lack thereof. I zone out for most of mass, but always listen to the sermon given. I particularly like the pastor at my church (as well as the one who retired a couple years ago). I've taken a few lessons out of listening to priests despite my irreligion, so I will ask this question:

If you are an agnostic or atheist, and you go to church or used to (probably because of family), did you listen to the sermons and did you gain anything from them?
"It's awfully considerate of you to think of me here,
And I'm much obliged to you for making it clear - that I'm not here."

-Syd Barrett

DDO Risk King
bsh1
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/31/2016 11:28:25 PM
Sometimes, and not really.
Live Long and Prosper

I'm a Bish.

"Twilight isn't just about obtuse metaphors between cannibalism and premarital sex, it also teaches us the futility of hope." - Raisor

"[Bsh1] is the Guinan of DDO." - ButterCatX

Follow the DDOlympics
: http://www.debate.org...

Open Debate Topics Project: http://www.debate.org...
zmikecuber
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/1/2016 3:44:44 AM
At 7/31/2016 11:21:54 PM, 1harderthanyouthink wrote:
I go to church every week, because my family is Catholic. I don't know more than one person in my family who is openly atheistic (first cousin once removed). So, I don't quite speak often on the matters of god(s) or assumed lack thereof. I zone out for most of mass, but always listen to the sermon given. I particularly like the pastor at my church (as well as the one who retired a couple years ago). I've taken a few lessons out of listening to priests despite my irreligion, so I will ask this question:

If you are an agnostic or atheist, and you go to church or used to (probably because of family), did you listen to the sermons and did you gain anything from them?

Why do you like him and what does he say?
"Delete your fvcking sig" -1hard

"primal man had the habit, when he came into contact with fire, of satisfying the infantile desire connected with it, by putting it out with a stream of his urine... Putting out the fire by micturating was therefore a kind of sexual act with a male, an enjoyment of sexual potency in a homosexual competition."
1harderthanyouthink
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/1/2016 4:27:19 AM
At 8/1/2016 3:44:44 AM, zmikecuber wrote:

Why do you like him and what does he say?

He often gives more philosophical rather than spirituality-dominated speeches based on his day-to-day experiences and readings from the Bible.

-Syd Barrett

DDO Risk King
1harderthanyouthink
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/1/2016 4:29:45 AM
At 7/31/2016 11:28:25 PM, bsh1 wrote:

It often depends on the priest. The pastor at the church I go to is good. My least favorite sermons have come from the bishop of the diocese I live in - I viscerally despise him.

-Syd Barrett

DDO Risk King
bsh1
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/1/2016 4:31:18 AM
At 8/1/2016 4:29:45 AM, 1harderthanyouthink wrote:

It often depends on the priest. The pastor at the church I go to is good. My least favorite sermons have come from the bishop of the diocese I live in - I viscerally despise him.

I would agree with that. But, I have to say, I always found the church experience to be utterly unfulfilling in virtually every respect, no matter who gave the sermon. It didn't sit right with me. I get more spiritual fulfillment walking in nature.
Live Long and Prosper

I'm a Bish.

"Twilight isn't just about obtuse metaphors between cannibalism and premarital sex, it also teaches us the futility of hope." - Raisor

Follow the DDOlympics

Hiu
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/1/2016 4:40:24 AM

Very good question.

When I get invited to go to some of my co-workers churches I usually listen to the sermons. I try to take away something that could possibly enrich my life.
1harderthanyouthink
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/1/2016 4:41:16 AM
At 8/1/2016 4:31:18 AM, bsh1 wrote:

I would agree with that. But, I have to say, I always found the church experience to be utterly unfulfilling in virtually every respect, no matter who gave the sermon. It didn't sit right with me. I get more spiritual fulfillment walking in nature.

One of the best philosophical lectures I've ever heard was an hour long speech from a missionary.

-Syd Barrett

DDO Risk King
bsh1
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/1/2016 4:43:36 AM
At 8/1/2016 4:41:16 AM, 1harderthanyouthink wrote:

One of the best philosophical lectures I've ever heard was an hour long speech from a missionary.

But, was he philosophical because he was a missionary? IDK, maybe it's just me, but I think a lot of the really good priests/deacons/etc would have deep things to say even if they hadn't joined the church. I am not sure the church is additive, in that way.
Live Long and Prosper

I'm a Bish.

Follow the DDOlympics

1harderthanyouthink
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/1/2016 4:48:58 AM
At 8/1/2016 4:43:36 AM, bsh1 wrote:

But, was he philosophical because he was a missionary? IDK, maybe it's just me, but I think a lot of the really good priests/deacons/etc would have deep things to say even if they hadn't joined the church. I am not sure the church is additive, in that way.

I'm just saying I think there's something that can be learned from going to church regardless of irreligion (not that I'll continue after I leave where I live now)

-Syd Barrett

DDO Risk King
bsh1
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/1/2016 4:50:13 AM
At 8/1/2016 4:48:58 AM, 1harderthanyouthink wrote:
At 8/1/2016 4:43:36 AM, bsh1 wrote:

I'm just saying I think there's something that can be learned from going to church regardless of irreligion (not that I'll continue after I leave where I live now)

That's possible, but I am content to have stopped, and I don't intend to go in the future. However, if people want to go--if they genuinely get something out of it--then the cost-benefit assessment for them is different, and they should go.
Live Long and Prosper

I'm a Bish.

Follow the DDOlympics

skipsaweirdo
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/1/2016 6:05:08 AM

Well if you knew how to get laid they would have some value. Geez, peeing on a tree isn't spiritually fulfilling. Seeing (whatever your flavor) is naked, now that's spiritual.
bsh1
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/1/2016 6:17:15 AM
At 8/1/2016 6:05:08 AM, skipsaweirdo wrote:

Well if you knew how to get laid they would have some value. Geez, peeing on a tree isn't spiritually fulfilling. Seeing (whatever your flavor) is naked, now that's spiritual.

What you just said was literally incoherent jibberish.
Live Long and Prosper

I'm a Bish.

Follow the DDOlympics

skipsaweirdo
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/1/2016 6:59:42 AM
At 8/1/2016 6:17:15 AM, bsh1 wrote:

Well if you knew how to get laid at sermons then they would have some value. Peeing on a tree isn't spiritually fulfilling. Seeing (whatever it is you like to see) naked , now that's spiritual. I forget people can't fill in my comments with their last comments applicable subject matter.
skipsaweirdo
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/1/2016 7:08:29 AM

I'm assuming it's equivalent to reading your post with a deep feeling of pity and apathy. Btw. I noticed you didn't assume an atheist or agnostic went to church to meet women. It's no wonder the atheists on this site have a homophobic bent to their profiles. Seems like most of them have to proclaim their interests "include women". I kid.
skipsaweirdo
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/1/2016 7:22:41 AM
At 8/1/2016 6:17:15 AM, bsh1 wrote:

Btw, sure would like an example of coherent jibberish since you seem it apropos to modify jibberish and be redundant. Usually a grammaticality judgement demonstrates a grasp of grammar.
n7
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/1/2016 6:31:20 PM

I don't really get anything from the sermons, probably because my dad is the pastor and I've already heard much of what he thinks to begin with. The sermon is just packaging it.
404 coherent debate topic not found. Please restart the debate with clear resolution.

Uphold Marxist-Leninist-Maoist-Sargonist-n7ism.
zmikecuber
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/1/2016 10:36:28 PM

Lol.

"primal man had the habit, when he came into contact with fire, of satisfying the infantile desire connected with it, by putting it out with a stream of his urine... Putting out the fire by micturating was therefore a kind of sexual act with a male, an enjoyment of sexual potency in a homosexual competition."
bsh1
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/2/2016 5:26:36 AM
At 8/1/2016 10:36:28 PM, zmikecuber wrote:

Lol.

???
Live Long and Prosper

I'm a Bish.

Follow the DDOlympics

That1User
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/2/2016 9:58:44 AM

My uncle is also openly agnostic and my grandparents are staunch Protestants, previously Roman Catholics. I sometimes go on Saturdays to church dinner. What we do is we go to the Community place and bring dinner for everyone and we talk before the pastor's sermon and then we discuss what he had to say. There is also prayer for personal problems. I like the social aspect of it so it has a lot of gain, I don't think I can go back to a traditional church though. For HS I attended a Protestant Christian school and I'd have Chapel every Monday and I had Religious Studies/Bible. in Religious Studies I was introduced to the works of Plato, St. Augustus, and St. Aquinas. We learned about the teachings of Jesus about how to behave, which benefited the lives of me and those who I am close to. In short, I like the social aspect of Christianity and its teachings on how to treat others, as for my faith I teeter between Christianity and agnosticism. Sorry for the rambling, I'm writing this early in the morning.
"Our life is what our thoughts make it."
R13; Marcus Aurelius
"When you arise in the morning, think of what a precious privilege it is to be alive - to breathe, to think, to enjoy, to love." -Marcus Aurelius
"Man is free at the moment he wishes to be." -Voltaire
"Every man is guilty of all the good he did not do. "-Voltaire
zmikecuber
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/2/2016 11:07:05 AM
At 8/2/2016 5:26:36 AM, bsh1 wrote:
At 8/1/2016 10:36:28 PM, zmikecuber wrote:

Lol.

???

The spiritual fulfillment part from walking in nature just sounds silly to me.

1harderthanyouthink
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/2/2016 5:17:19 PM
At 8/2/2016 9:58:44 AM, That1User wrote:

My uncle is also openly agnostic and my grandparents are staunch Protestants, previously Roman Catholics. I sometimes go on Saturdays to church dinner. What we do is we go to the Community place and bring dinner for everyone and we talk before the pastor's sermon and then we discuss what he had to say. There is also prayer for personal problems. I like the social aspect of it so it has a lot of gain, I don't think I can go back to a traditional church though. For HS I attended a Protestant Christian school and I'd have Chapel every Monday and I had Religious Studies/Bible. in Religious Studies I was introduced to the works of Plato, St. Augustus, and St. Aquinas. We learned about the teachings of Jesus about how to behave, which benefited the lives of me and those who I am close to. In short, I like the social aspect of Christianity and its teachings on how to treat others, as for my faith I teeter between Christianity and agnosticism. Sorry for the rambling, I'm writing this early in the morning.

All good. It seems pretty fair.

-Syd Barrett

DDO Risk King