Jump to topic:

Black Helicopters

Throwback
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/7/2016 2:44:31 PM
Posted: 4 months ago
I think we have all crossed people who believe 9/11 didn't happen, or it was an FBI/CIA operation, Sandy Hook didn't happen, JFK wasn't killed by Lee Harvey Oswald, Orlando didn't happen, San Bernardino didn't happen, laetrile is the cure for cancer which all medical professionals are keeping from us, fluoride in drinking water makes one believe in communism, on and on and on. These people seem on many levels to go about their lives functioning rather normally until they short out and start doing this.

To be sure, conspiracies do happen. Being able to reason through what is a conspiracy (3 candidates working together to knock out a 4th competitor, or a spy working as an agent for a foreign nation, for example), and what is fantasy (the Obama Administration planning mass shootings to promote anti gun laws) shouldn't be that hard to do. All these ridiculous claims would require large areas of population to be participants in the cover up, larger than any group of movie extras, and they all manage to keep it quiet. You can't keep enough people from bragging about what they know. Even the troops landing on the beaches of Normandy were not told in advance what they were doing, because someone would have talked, putting their own life at risk just to show they were in the know.

I'm not open to discussing the validity of these fringe lunatic conspiracy thoughts, and I won't. My question is simply how do people who seem to be able to function end up thinking these conspiracies are real?
When I respond with "OK" don't take it personally. I'm simply being appropriately dismissive.
keithprosser
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/7/2016 3:19:38 PM
I suspect that conspiracy theorists don't like the idea that things 'just happen'. To such people having things happen according to a plan - even a plan they disapprove of - is psychologically more appealing than thinking life is essentially chaotic. You might put it as that they prefer the idea that 'someone is in charge' because living in a world where things 'just happen' is frightening to them.

One can draw a parallel with religion. Religion also assumes there is someone in charge and pulling the strings. The grand plan may be inscrutable, but at least (agree the religious and the conspiracy nut) there is a plan.
Throwback
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/7/2016 6:24:45 PM
At 8/7/2016 3:19:38 PM, keithprosser wrote:
I suspect that conspiracy theorists don't like the idea that things 'just happen'. To such people having things happen according to a plan - even a plan they disapprove of - is psychologically more appealing than thinking life is essentially chaotic. You might put it as that they prefer the idea that 'someone is in charge' because living in a world where things 'just happen' is frightening to them.

One can draw a parallel with religion. Religion also assumes there is someone in charge and pulling the strings. The grand plan may be inscrutable, but at least (agree the religious and the conspiracy nut) there is a plan.

I am a deeply religious Catholic. But I can't empathize with these people. They somehow find no difficulty believing either all the mass shootings are staged, or they happened at the direction of one Barack Hussein Obama. Both are preposterous. There is nothing in my religion which suggests it is unlikely someone in a nation of over 320 million people will do this kind of thing. They did happen, and although I think people like Obama take advantage of it, they don't plan it. Why risk the consequences when you can wait until it happens?
When I respond with "OK" don't take it personally. I'm simply being appropriately dismissive.
keithprosser
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/7/2016 6:52:07 PM
I totally agree they are preposterous. I was thinking about what would make someone want a perposterous scenario to be true. My idea is that they are frightened by the idea of things 'just happening' and want there to be a controlling principle.

Superstition is all about our desire for control over the chaos and randomness of life. Humans like the idea that we have control over things. Hence we blow on a dice so we get a 6, imagining we can influence random events. The world is confusing, chaotic and dangerous place. It is a comfort - to some - that all that confustion and chaos is only apparent and the reality it is all the working out of the conscious plan of the government, or the illuminati, or the Jews whatever.
Throwback
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/8/2016 2:01:24 AM
At 8/7/2016 6:52:07 PM, keithprosser wrote:
I totally agree they are preposterous. I was thinking about what would make someone want a perposterous scenario to be true. My idea is that they are frightened by the idea of things 'just happening' and want there to be a controlling principle.

Superstition is all about our desire for control over the chaos and randomness of life. Humans like the idea that we have control over things. Hence we blow on a dice so we get a 6, imagining we can influence random events. The world is confusing, chaotic and dangerous place. It is a comfort - to some - that all that confustion and chaos is only apparent and the reality it is all the working out of the conscious plan of the government, or the illuminati, or the Jews whatever.

You could well be onto it. I maintain it takes a special breed of stupid to think billions of people are not going to generate some really bad behavior.