Jump to topic:

Philosophical questions

Discipulus_Didicit
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/8/2016 4:33:22 AM
Posted: 3 months ago
If a sentence that isn't asking a question lacks a question mark, is that question mark considered 'missing'?

If a thread OP that was not supposed to convince anyone of anything but instead was meant to provoke thought and discussion lacks an argument, is that argument considered 'missing'?

I have met a person by the name of BlueDreams in another of my threads that would answer yes to the second question. I made this new one for them to redirect them to, so that they could go into more detail about their fascinating point of view without derailing my other - far more interesting - thread
Cobalt - You could be scum too.
Matt - I suppose. But I also might not be.

Kiri - Yeah, I don't know what DD is doing.
Vaarka - He's doin'a thingy do

DD - The best advice most often goes unheeded.
Wise Man - KYS, DD.
DD - Case in point ^
keithprosser
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/8/2016 5:54:46 AM
I'd say debates can be 'dialectic' or 'adversarial'. Dialectic debates are like chats over a campfire tossing ideas around in a co-operative effort to uncover a truth that no participant could do on their own.

Adversarial debates are more like sport where the object is not to get at the truth but to get more votes than you opponent.

There is a section of this board dedicated to adversarial debates, so I would like it if the forums section was more dialectical, but a lot of treat thread end up as no-holds barred adversarial debates where the opponent must be crushed, no error admitted to and any kite found flying is shot down in flames.

I'd like to see more constructive brainstorming in the forums. However I expect someone will now jump in and argue how wrong I am....
Throwback
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/8/2016 2:44:56 PM
At 8/8/2016 5:54:46 AM, keithprosser wrote:
I'd say debates can be 'dialectic' or 'adversarial'. Dialectic debates are like chats over a campfire tossing ideas around in a co-operative effort to uncover a truth that no participant could do on their own.

Adversarial debates are more like sport where the object is not to get at the truth but to get more votes than you opponent.

There is a section of this board dedicated to adversarial debates, so I would like it if the forums section was more dialectical, but a lot of treat thread end up as no-holds barred adversarial debates where the opponent must be crushed, no error admitted to and any kite found flying is shot down in flames.

I'd like to see more constructive brainstorming in the forums. However I expect someone will now jump in and argue how wrong I am....

Amen to that! The forums are not adversarial debates. There's a section for that.
When I respond with "OK" don't take it personally. I'm simply being appropriately dismissive.
Discipulus_Didicit
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/8/2016 6:34:32 PM
He's still trying to derail my other thread, deapite me complementing him and asking him to move here instead. Maybe if I ignore him he will go away. That usually works, right?

Wise Man - KYS, DD.
DD - Case in point ^
keithprosser
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/8/2016 8:07:23 PM
Ignoring is very hard to pull off. To do it properly you aren't even allowed to tell them you are ignoring them. It has to be like the post isn't there...

It happens to my posts all the time - I hope it's not always on purpose!
Discipulus_Didicit
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/9/2016 12:22:26 AM
At 8/8/2016 8:07:23 PM, keithprosser wrote:
Ignoring is very hard to pull off. To do it properly you aren't even allowed to tell them you are ignoring them. It has to be like the post isn't there...

It happens to my posts all the time - I hope it's not always on purpose!

Lol, I actually read a lot of what you say. Just can't always think of a response I would consider worth being said.

Wise Man - KYS, DD.
DD - Case in point ^