Total Posts:20|Showing Posts:1-20
Jump to topic:

Can you prove, that WW II really happened?

Snan
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/14/2016 9:13:23 PM
Posted: 3 months ago
Recently someone pointed out to me, that believing in a religion is the same as believing the second WorldWar really happened.
I started thinking, that it is kinda true....

I believe the 2nd WorldWar took place, because a lot oft people told me so.
Just like religious beliefs.

(I am not religious btw).
There probably is no definitive proof of WWII, only documents and very few witnesses.
So, why should I believe the 2nd WorldWar took place?
Bob13
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/14/2016 9:17:21 PM
At 8/14/2016 9:13:23 PM, Snan wrote:
Recently someone pointed out to me, that believing in a religion is the same as believing the second WorldWar really happened.

There probably is no definitive proof of WWII, only documents and very few witnesses.

How do you explain filmed battles and millions of people killed during that time period?
I don't have a signature. :-)
sadolite
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/14/2016 9:58:07 PM
Add another person who isn't going to learn a damn thing from history and condemn us all to repeat it.
It's not your views that divide us, it's what you think my views should be that divides us.

If you think I will give up my rights and forsake social etiquette to make you "FEEL" better you are sadly mistaken

If liberal democrats would just stop shooting people gun violence would drop by 90%
Heterodox
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/15/2016 10:40:22 AM

Like I have mentioned several times, it's all assumptions built on assumptions.

For most of us it doesn't matter if the history we are told ever happened, we accept it as having happened because everyone else was told it happened too.
skipsaweirdo
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/15/2016 12:20:10 PM
At 8/15/2016 10:40:22 AM, Heterodox wrote:

Like I have mentioned several times, it's all assumptions built on assumptions.

For most of us it doesn't matter if the history we are told ever happened, we accept it as having happened because everyone else was told it happened too.
You need to go back further than WWII for this. We have video of it. The hbombs on Nagasaki , Hiroshima etc......
keithprosser
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/15/2016 1:12:12 PM
It's possible to prove that WW2 happened 'within reasonable doubt', but not to 'within unreasonable doubt'!
Throwback
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/15/2016 3:38:32 PM

These arguments are very strange. In 1945, proof of WWII was everywhere. Families lost loved ones to the conflict, entire cities burned to the ground, Nagasaki and Hiroshima were irradiated, there were burning hulks of ships and aircraft a plenty. The passage of time does not diminish the reality of these things. If people understood history as more than simply xxstory, no one would pose questions like this. There will come a day when people who think this way will ask if John Kennedy ever existed or if it's just a story.

By the way, the same applies to the reality that a man named Jesus lived 2000 years ago, was condemned under Roman law, and crucified. There were plenty of witnesses. No amount of passing time changes history. It merely makes people disregard it.
When I respond with "OK" don't take it personally. I'm simply being appropriately dismissive.
keithprosser
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/15/2016 4:55:07 PM
At 8/14/2016 9:17:21 PM, Bob13 wrote:

How do you explain filmed battles and millions of people killed during that time period?

It's not too difficult to make a good case that WW2 happened even now, 70 years later in 2016. The question is how someone would know that WW2 really happened 2000 years from now.

Today, whether the Trojan war happened or not is a matter of intense scholarly debate - could it be that in 4016 WW2 will also be considered 'probably a myth'?

It would be fairer to compare Jesus with someone from around the same time who is accepted as historical fact, such as Julius Caesar.

Much of what we know about the life of Julius Caesar comes from the writings of Applian, Suetonius and Plutarch. Why believe them but not Matthew, Mark, Luke and John?

Good question - I hope someone has a good answer!
POPOO5560
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/15/2016 5:43:42 PM

LOL its so easy bcz millions upon millions saw this sh1t happens by close or themselves all over the world, how can everybody on the same time lie? leave out all the consequences recordings and stuff....
Never fart near dog
mc9
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/15/2016 11:07:18 PM
You can't technically prove it, I mean someone could've technically photoshopped the photos and paid the witnesses but in the end common sense on this triumphs.
famousdebater
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/20/2016 12:38:42 AM
At 8/15/2016 11:07:18 PM, mc9 wrote:
You can't technically prove it, I mean someone could've technically photoshopped the photos and paid the witnesses but in the end common sense on this triumphs.

The chances are so slim that people would pay for millions of graves to be made; artefacts being made; faking witnesses; Photoshopping/editing photos and videos; faking government records; making tributes, etc. just to trick people into believing that a war that didn't really happen, happened. It's so improbable.
"Life calls the tune, we dance."
John Galsworthy
keithprosser
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/20/2016 7:57:09 AM
It seems to me people saying are saying that one believes is a pure judgement call, based on a personal estimate of the likelyhood whether a historical 'fact' is true or not.

Which, I suppose, is undeniably true.
Throwback
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/20/2016 1:52:34 PM
At 8/14/2016 9:58:07 PM, sadolite wrote:
Add another person who isn't going to learn a damn thing from history and condemn us all to repeat it.

+1
When I respond with "OK" don't take it personally. I'm simply being appropriately dismissive.
Capital
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/20/2016 1:56:42 PM

Are you mentally ill?

Because if you aren't then I have no idea what's wrong with you
Im not a Nazi
harrytruman
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/20/2016 3:40:05 PM

Well you can go ask a WW2 veteran.
mc9
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/20/2016 5:42:02 PM
At 8/20/2016 12:38:42 AM, famousdebater wrote:
At 8/15/2016 11:07:18 PM, mc9 wrote:

The chances are so slim that people would pay for millions of graves to be made; artefacts being made; faking witnesses; Photoshopping/editing photos and videos; faking government records; making tributes, etc. just to trick people into believing that a war that didn't really happen, happened. It's so improbable.

I know I'm saying that the chances are infinitesimal but really nothing's completely certain even if the chances are 99.9999999999999999999999999999999999999999 and some more chances that it did happen.
keithprosser
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/20/2016 6:14:05 PM
But how do you calculate it's 99.99999999...%? It's never a calculation - it's always an intuitive guess!
mc9
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/20/2016 10:54:09 PM
At 8/20/2016 6:14:05 PM, keithprosser wrote:
But how do you calculate it's 99.99999999...%? It's never a calculation - it's always an intuitive guess!

I know I do believe world war 2 did happen I'm just arguing from the viewpoint of semantics. And You're right about it being an intuitive guess.
Diqiucun_Cunmin
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/25/2016 3:58:13 AM
It may be hard for an American to do so, but certainly not for much of the rest of the world. My grandparents suffered through the war and so did the grandparents of most people in Asia and Europe.
The thing is, I hate relativism. I hate relativism more than I hate everything else, excepting, maybe, fibreglass powerboats... What it overlooks, to put it briefly and crudely, is the fixed structure of human nature. - Jerry Fodor

Don't be a stat cynic:
http://www.debate.org...

Response to conservative views on deforestation:
http://www.debate.org...

Topics I'd like to debate (not debating ATM): http://tinyurl.com...
imperialchimp
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/26/2016 5:38:21 AM

Ape Lives Matter (ALM)

What if I were to tell you that humans have false logic? Prepare for confusion.

-.-- --- ..- / ... .... --- ..- .-.. -.. / .... .- ...- . / -. --- - / - .-. .- -. ... .-.. .- - . -.. / - .... .. ... .-.-.- .-.-.- .-.-.-