Total Posts:20|Showing Posts:1-20
Jump to topic:

Can you prove, that WW II really happened?

Snan
Posts: 2
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/14/2016 9:13:23 PM
Posted: 10 months ago
Recently someone pointed out to me, that believing in a religion is the same as believing the second WorldWar really happened.
I started thinking, that it is kinda true....

I believe the 2nd WorldWar took place, because a lot oft people told me so.
Just like religious beliefs.

(I am not religious btw).
There probably is no definitive proof of WWII, only documents and very few witnesses.
So, why should I believe the 2nd WorldWar took place?
Bob13
Posts: 791
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/14/2016 9:17:21 PM
Posted: 10 months ago
At 8/14/2016 9:13:23 PM, Snan wrote:
Recently someone pointed out to me, that believing in a religion is the same as believing the second WorldWar really happened.
I started thinking, that it is kinda true....

I believe the 2nd WorldWar took place, because a lot oft people told me so.
Just like religious beliefs.

(I am not religious btw).
There probably is no definitive proof of WWII, only documents and very few witnesses.
So, why should I believe the 2nd WorldWar took place?

How do you explain filmed battles and millions of people killed during that time period?
I don't have a signature. :-)
Heterodox
Posts: 323
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/15/2016 10:40:22 AM
Posted: 10 months ago
At 8/14/2016 9:13:23 PM, Snan wrote:
Recently someone pointed out to me, that believing in a religion is the same as believing the second WorldWar really happened.
I started thinking, that it is kinda true....

I believe the 2nd WorldWar took place, because a lot oft people told me so.
Just like religious beliefs.

(I am not religious btw).
There probably is no definitive proof of WWII, only documents and very few witnesses.
So, why should I believe the 2nd WorldWar took place?

Like I have mentioned several times, it's all assumptions built on assumptions.

For most of us it doesn't matter if the history we are told ever happened, we accept it as having happened because everyone else was told it happened too.
skipsaweirdo
Posts: 2,263
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/15/2016 12:20:10 PM
Posted: 10 months ago
At 8/15/2016 10:40:22 AM, Heterodox wrote:
At 8/14/2016 9:13:23 PM, Snan wrote:
Recently someone pointed out to me, that believing in a religion is the same as believing the second WorldWar really happened.
I started thinking, that it is kinda true....

I believe the 2nd WorldWar took place, because a lot oft people told me so.
Just like religious beliefs.

(I am not religious btw).
There probably is no definitive proof of WWII, only documents and very few witnesses.
So, why should I believe the 2nd WorldWar took place?

Like I have mentioned several times, it's all assumptions built on assumptions.

For most of us it doesn't matter if the history we are told ever happened, we accept it as having happened because everyone else was told it happened too.
You need to go back further than WWII for this. We have video of it. The hbombs on Nagasaki , Hiroshima etc......
keithprosser
Posts: 3,434
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/15/2016 1:12:12 PM
Posted: 10 months ago
It's possible to prove that WW2 happened 'within reasonable doubt', but not to 'within unreasonable doubt'!
Throwback
Posts: 422
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/15/2016 3:38:32 PM
Posted: 10 months ago
At 8/14/2016 9:13:23 PM, Snan wrote:
Recently someone pointed out to me, that believing in a religion is the same as believing the second WorldWar really happened.
I started thinking, that it is kinda true....

I believe the 2nd WorldWar took place, because a lot oft people told me so.
Just like religious beliefs.

(I am not religious btw).
There probably is no definitive proof of WWII, only documents and very few witnesses.
So, why should I believe the 2nd WorldWar took place?

These arguments are very strange. In 1945, proof of WWII was everywhere. Families lost loved ones to the conflict, entire cities burned to the ground, Nagasaki and Hiroshima were irradiated, there were burning hulks of ships and aircraft a plenty. The passage of time does not diminish the reality of these things. If people understood history as more than simply xxstory, no one would pose questions like this. There will come a day when people who think this way will ask if John Kennedy ever existed or if it's just a story.

By the way, the same applies to the reality that a man named Jesus lived 2000 years ago, was condemned under Roman law, and crucified. There were plenty of witnesses. No amount of passing time changes history. It merely makes people disregard it.
When I respond with "OK" don't take it personally. I'm simply being appropriately dismissive.
keithprosser
Posts: 3,434
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/15/2016 4:55:07 PM
Posted: 10 months ago
At 8/14/2016 9:17:21 PM, Bob13 wrote:

How do you explain filmed battles and millions of people killed during that time period?

It's not too difficult to make a good case that WW2 happened even now, 70 years later in 2016. The question is how someone would know that WW2 really happened 2000 years from now.

Today, whether the Trojan war happened or not is a matter of intense scholarly debate - could it be that in 4016 WW2 will also be considered 'probably a myth'?

It would be fairer to compare Jesus with someone from around the same time who is accepted as historical fact, such as Julius Caesar.

Much of what we know about the life of Julius Caesar comes from the writings of Applian, Suetonius and Plutarch. Why believe them but not Matthew, Mark, Luke and John?

Good question - I hope someone has a good answer!
POPOO5560
Posts: 2,736
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/15/2016 5:43:42 PM
Posted: 10 months ago
At 8/14/2016 9:13:23 PM, Snan wrote:
Recently someone pointed out to me, that believing in a religion is the same as believing the second WorldWar really happened.
I started thinking, that it is kinda true....

I believe the 2nd WorldWar took place, because a lot oft people told me so.
Just like religious beliefs.

(I am not religious btw).
There probably is no definitive proof of WWII, only documents and very few witnesses.
So, why should I believe the 2nd WorldWar took place?

LOL its so easy bcz millions upon millions saw this sh1t happens by close or themselves all over the world, how can everybody on the same time lie? leave out all the consequences recordings and stuff....
Never fart near dog
mc9
Posts: 1,422
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/15/2016 11:07:18 PM
Posted: 10 months ago
You can't technically prove it, I mean someone could've technically photoshopped the photos and paid the witnesses but in the end common sense on this triumphs.
Stan is better than bad guy if you disagree with me you're wrong
famousdebater
Posts: 3,964
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/20/2016 12:38:42 AM
Posted: 10 months ago
At 8/15/2016 11:07:18 PM, mc9 wrote:
You can't technically prove it, I mean someone could've technically photoshopped the photos and paid the witnesses but in the end common sense on this triumphs.

The chances are so slim that people would pay for millions of graves to be made; artefacts being made; faking witnesses; Photoshopping/editing photos and videos; faking government records; making tributes, etc. just to trick people into believing that a war that didn't really happen, happened. It's so improbable.
"Life calls the tune, we dance."
John Galsworthy
keithprosser
Posts: 3,434
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/20/2016 7:57:09 AM
Posted: 10 months ago
It seems to me people saying are saying that one believes is a pure judgement call, based on a personal estimate of the likelyhood whether a historical 'fact' is true or not.

Which, I suppose, is undeniably true.
Throwback
Posts: 422
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/20/2016 1:52:34 PM
Posted: 10 months ago
At 8/14/2016 9:58:07 PM, sadolite wrote:
Add another person who isn't going to learn a damn thing from history and condemn us all to repeat it.

+1
When I respond with "OK" don't take it personally. I'm simply being appropriately dismissive.
Capital
Posts: 588
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/20/2016 1:56:42 PM
Posted: 10 months ago
At 8/14/2016 9:13:23 PM, Snan wrote:
Recently someone pointed out to me, that believing in a religion is the same as believing the second WorldWar really happened.
I started thinking, that it is kinda true....

I believe the 2nd WorldWar took place, because a lot oft people told me so.
Just like religious beliefs.

(I am not religious btw).
There probably is no definitive proof of WWII, only documents and very few witnesses.
So, why should I believe the 2nd WorldWar took place?

Are you mentally ill?

Because if you aren't then I have no idea what's wrong with you
Im not a Nazi
harrytruman
Posts: 812
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/20/2016 3:40:05 PM
Posted: 10 months ago
At 8/14/2016 9:13:23 PM, Snan wrote:
Recently someone pointed out to me, that believing in a religion is the same as believing the second WorldWar really happened.
I started thinking, that it is kinda true....

I believe the 2nd WorldWar took place, because a lot oft people told me so.
Just like religious beliefs.

(I am not religious btw).
There probably is no definitive proof of WWII, only documents and very few witnesses.
So, why should I believe the 2nd WorldWar took place?

Well you can go ask a WW2 veteran.
mc9
Posts: 1,422
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/20/2016 5:42:02 PM
Posted: 10 months ago
At 8/20/2016 12:38:42 AM, famousdebater wrote:
At 8/15/2016 11:07:18 PM, mc9 wrote:
You can't technically prove it, I mean someone could've technically photoshopped the photos and paid the witnesses but in the end common sense on this triumphs.

The chances are so slim that people would pay for millions of graves to be made; artefacts being made; faking witnesses; Photoshopping/editing photos and videos; faking government records; making tributes, etc. just to trick people into believing that a war that didn't really happen, happened. It's so improbable.

I know I'm saying that the chances are infinitesimal but really nothing's completely certain even if the chances are 99.9999999999999999999999999999999999999999 and some more chances that it did happen.
Stan is better than bad guy if you disagree with me you're wrong
keithprosser
Posts: 3,434
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/20/2016 6:14:05 PM
Posted: 10 months ago
But how do you calculate it's 99.99999999...%? It's never a calculation - it's always an intuitive guess!
mc9
Posts: 1,422
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/20/2016 10:54:09 PM
Posted: 10 months ago
At 8/20/2016 6:14:05 PM, keithprosser wrote:
But how do you calculate it's 99.99999999...%? It's never a calculation - it's always an intuitive guess!

I know I do believe world war 2 did happen I'm just arguing from the viewpoint of semantics. And You're right about it being an intuitive guess.
Stan is better than bad guy if you disagree with me you're wrong
Diqiucun_Cunmin
Posts: 2,732
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/25/2016 3:58:13 AM
Posted: 10 months ago
It may be hard for an American to do so, but certainly not for much of the rest of the world. My grandparents suffered through the war and so did the grandparents of most people in Asia and Europe.
I think it is well established that the only reason aliens come to earth is to slice up cows and examine inside peoples' bottoms. Unless you are a cow or suffer haemerrhoids I don't think there is anything to worry about from aliens. - keithprosser

Don't be a stat cynic:
http://www.debate.org...

Response to conservative views on deforestation:
http://www.debate.org...

Topics I'd like to debate (not debating ATM): http://tinyurl.com...
imperialchimp
Posts: 395
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/26/2016 5:38:21 AM
Posted: 10 months ago
At 8/14/2016 9:13:23 PM, Snan wrote:
Recently someone pointed out to me, that believing in a religion is the same as believing the second WorldWar really happened.
I started thinking, that it is kinda true....

I believe the 2nd WorldWar took place, because a lot oft people told me so.
Just like religious beliefs.

(I am not religious btw).
There probably is no definitive proof of WWII, only documents and very few witnesses.
So, why should I believe the 2nd WorldWar took place?

1984