Jump to topic:

Beam me and me up, Scotty!

keithprosser
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/16/2016 4:39:54 PM
Posted: 3 months ago
In a different thead I used the example of being accidentally duplicated in a star trek style teleport accident to ask which one of the duplicates would be the real me. The answers I think can only be neither, one or the other or both.

I think that it might be 'neither', which surely means that even if only one copy is produced it would not be the 'real me'. So is a teleporter a convenient method of transport or a suicide booth that produces somebody else - not the 'real you' - at the other end?

I do know teleporting is fiction - what concerns me is the issue of personal identity; what constitutes the 'real you'? also, if a teleporter did exist, would you use it?
wuliheron
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/16/2016 4:45:29 PM
At 8/16/2016 4:39:54 PM, keithprosser wrote:
In a different thead I used the example of being accidentally duplicated in a star trek style teleport accident to ask which one of the duplicates would be the real me. The answers I think can only be neither, one or the other or both.

I think that it might be 'neither', which surely means that even if only one copy is produced it would not be the 'real me'. So is a teleporter a convenient method of transport or a suicide booth that produces somebody else - not the 'real you' - at the other end?

I do know teleporting is fiction - what concerns me is the issue of personal identity; what constitutes the 'real you'? also, if a teleporter did exist, would you use it?

Teleportation is not fiction, but quantum mechanics. Already it is theoretically possible to convert your body into a "matter wave" and teleport it, however, it would require the lifetime of the universe for you just cross a small room that way. In contrast, quanta have been teleported hundreds of miles and the Chinese are doing experiments to see if they can be used for orbital communications. Teleporting something as large as a human being is perhaps a century or more in the future.

As for who is the original, you are not the same person from one minute to the next and are destined to grow old and die. Without any clear definition for who the "real" you happens to be the question is meaningless.
keithprosser
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/16/2016 4:56:45 PM
At 8/16/2016 4:45:29 PM, wuliheron wrote:
As for who is the original, you are not the same person from one minute to the next and are destined to grow old and die. Without any clear definition for who the "real" you happens to be the question is meaningless.

Well, quite. I thought I made it clear that I started this debate to be about the definition of 'what the "real" you happens to be', almost in those words. But in case anyone else missed it, I'll repeat what I wrote above: