Jump to topic:

Change in directions

lovelife
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/4/2011 7:54:36 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
So I was talking with some people a few days ago.
And it was basically
-guy 1
"The world will not end in 2012, about the only thing that will happen is north and south reversing"
-guy 2
"Islam doesn't say that the end of the world will be in 2012, it doesn't say when. It only says to watch out for mosques that are built as art rather than for worship like the one I showed you, and the sun rising in the west."

My question, if in 2012 the south becomes north, east will be west too. Making the sun rise in the west...
Unless I don't understand it correctly.
Without Royal there is a hole inside of me, I have no choice but to leave
belle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/4/2011 7:59:48 PM
my guess is that he was talking about the magnetic poles switching directions. north will still be north, it will just be magnetized oppositely from the way it is now.

but thats still pretty unlikely. lol
evidently i only come to ddo to avoid doing homework...
Ore_Ele
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/4/2011 8:04:00 PM
At 1/4/2011 7:54:36 PM, lovelife wrote:
And it was basically
-guy 1
"The world will not end in 2012, about the only thing that will happen is north and south reversing"
-guy 2
"Islam doesn't say that the end of the world will be in 2012, it doesn't say when. It only says to watch out for mosques that are built as art rather than for worship like the one I showed you, and the sun rising in the west."

My question, if in 2012 the south becomes north, east will be west too. Making the sun rise in the west...

No, the rotation of the Earth will remain the same, however, the spinning iron core at the center of earth (which gives us our magnetic field) will flip, causing the magnetic north and south to flip.

However, this will not happen.
"Wanting Red Rhino Pill to have gender"
lovelife
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/4/2011 8:17:37 PM
At 1/4/2011 8:04:00 PM, OreEle wrote:
At 1/4/2011 7:54:36 PM, lovelife wrote:
And it was basically
-guy 1
-guy 2

No, the rotation of the Earth will remain the same, however, the spinning iron core at the center of earth (which gives us our magnetic field) will flip, causing the magnetic north and south to flip.

Hmmm I'm not sure if a reversal in magnetic directions would be something that is harmless or not. I'm guessing not.

(P.S I'm not a conspiracy theorist, or a Muslim, I just found this interesting)

However, this will not happen.

Why not?
lovelife
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/4/2011 8:24:47 PM
At 1/4/2011 7:59:48 PM, belle wrote:
my guess is that he was talking about the magnetic poles switching directions. north will still be north, it will just be magnetized oppositely from the way it is now.

Yeah probably, however, if it magnetically changes, wouldn't it also pretty much physically change too?

Why is it unlikely?
I know that the directions change every few hundred thousand years (how do people know stuff like that? My guess is science stuff that I can't understand anyway)
And I find one specific date unlikely, but not the event itself.
Puck
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/5/2011 12:22:24 AM
At 1/4/2011 8:24:47 PM, lovelife wrote:
At 1/4/2011 7:59:48 PM, belle wrote:

Yeah probably, however, if it magnetically changes, wouldn't it also pretty much physically change too?

Magnetic north is distinct from geographic north.

Why is it unlikely?

It's not a snap your fingers and it's done type of switch.

I know that the directions change every few hundred thousand years (how do people know stuff like that? My guess is science stuff that I can't understand anyway)

Certain structures such as volcanic flow that's been cooled, can contain certain iron based mineralised structures that have the prior magnetic fields 'stuck' in them. Think of it as snapshots taken long ago that we can look at now.

And I find one specific date unlikely, but not the event itself.

Yar. A date is misleading it's not an 'event' as such.
Ore_Ele
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/5/2011 12:57:06 AM
Like Puck insinuated, the actual transition takes a few thousand years. But even if it does, it is not that bad. Magnetic north is actually pretty far from actual north (about 1,500 miles).

It is slow enough that nearly all animals will have plenty of time to adjust to it.

In fact, we are probably starting it already. We know that the magnetic north is moving towards russia at a rate of about 35 miles per year (or maybe this is a result of a secret cold war doomsday device). This change was first noticed back in 1989 (back in the early 1900's we noticed that it was actually moving back north at a rate of about 6 mile per year).

http://news.nationalgeographic.com...
"Wanting Red Rhino Pill to have gender"