Jump to topic:

Can I be a god?

imperialchimp
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/30/2016 3:21:04 AM
Posted: 3 months ago
So say on a computer I create a virtual world. This world has it own set of laws. I add some animals and some human-like creatures with artificial intelligence. I ensure that the humanoids can never discover me and the universe I reside in. They can't see what I'm doing but I can see what they're doing. I can create natural disasters and plagues when ever I want to. When someone dies, they'll be transferred to either a heaven or a hell.

So if I created my own universe on a computer, am a god (in terms of deism)? Am I also a being that doesn't take a physical form within that universe? How do we know that we're not in a matrix world ourselves?
Ape Lives Matter (ALM)

What if I were to tell you that humans have false logic? Prepare for confusion.

-.-- --- ..- / ... .... --- ..- .-.. -.. / .... .- ...- . / -. --- - / - .-. .- -. ... .-.. .- - . -.. / - .... .. ... .-.-.- .-.-.- .-.-.-

Don't waste your time trying to find truth...you pleb!
Hiu
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/30/2016 5:02:10 AM
At 8/30/2016 3:21:04 AM, imperialchimp wrote:
So say on a computer I create a virtual world. This world has it own set of laws. I add some animals and some human-like creatures with artificial intelligence. I ensure that the humanoids can never discover me and the universe I reside in. They can't see what I'm doing but I can see what they're doing. I can create natural disasters and plagues when ever I want to. When someone dies, they'll be transferred to either a heaven or a hell.

So if I created my own universe on a computer, am a god (in terms of deism)? Am I also a being that doesn't take a physical form within that universe? How do we know that we're not in a matrix world ourselves?

Define "god?"

Sounds like you would be a demiurge (Creator)
keithprosser
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/30/2016 5:23:31 AM
It seems to me you would bear the same relation to your virtual world that deists believe exists between this world and its creator. I think that does make you the deistic god of your virtual world. Given the amout of time and effort you'd have to put into such a project I hope it will be worth it.

Of course we don't know that our world in fact created in a deliberate, conscious act by a deistic god (as your virtual one was), or if it came about some other way. If it was 'some other way' then our universe had no need of a deistic god after all.

I'm going to ignore the 'are we living in Matrix' part - that debate has had more bad sequels than the movie. I'll do the theatrical trailer version.

A Maybe we live in the matrix , but probably we don't.
B Can you prove we don't live in the martix?
A No, but...
B So if you can't prove we don't live in the matrix, we might live in the matrix.
A Yes, but..
B You don't know if its yes or no. You are a d*ck.
A Well you smell bad and your mother was a crack-whore.

Coming to a forum near you!
Nottingham
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/30/2016 6:37:47 AM

So if I created my own universe on a computer, am a god (in terms of deism)? Am I also a being that doesn't take a physical form within that universe? How do we know that we're not in a matrix world ourselves? : :

It's impossible to know that you're living in a matrix world unless the creator of that matrix world informs you of how he did it. Would you like to know how he did it?
Furyan5
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/30/2016 3:30:35 PM
At 8/30/2016 6:37:47 AM, Nottingham wrote:

So if I created my own universe on a computer, am a god (in terms of deism)? Am I also a being that doesn't take a physical form within that universe? How do we know that we're not in a matrix world ourselves? : :

It's impossible to know that you're living in a matrix world unless the creator of that matrix world informs you of how he did it. Would you like to know how he did it?

No. I'd want to know why he did it? Why do I exist? What is my purpose? And what happens to me once I achieve that purpose?
imperialchimp
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/31/2016 4:04:59 AM
At 8/30/2016 5:02:10 AM, Hiu wrote:

Define "god?"

I can interfere with the universe and possess supernatural abilities (i made the laws of the universe and I can change them). But i am not a limitless god.
Ape Lives Matter (ALM)

What if I were to tell you that humans have false logic? Prepare for confusion.

-.-- --- ..- / ... .... --- ..- .-.. -.. / .... .- ...- . / -. --- - / - .-. .- -. ... .-.. .- - . -.. / - .... .. ... .-.-.- .-.-.- .-.-.-

Don't waste your time trying to find truth...you pleb!
Pbody
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/31/2016 7:14:21 AM
At 8/30/2016 3:30:35 PM, Furyan5 wrote:

No. I'd want to know why he did it? Why do I exist? What is my purpose? And what happens to me once I achieve that purpose? : :

Most of God's characters were given selfish thoughts.
Furyan5
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/31/2016 8:08:57 AM
At 8/31/2016 7:14:21 AM, Pbody wrote:

No. I'd want to know why he did it? Why do I exist? What is my purpose? And what happens to me once I achieve that purpose? : :

I call it curiosity.
Pbody
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/31/2016 9:34:39 AM
At 8/31/2016 8:08:57 AM, Furyan5 wrote:

I call it curiosity. : :

What is the point of asking questions if you don't believe the answer?
Furyan5
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/31/2016 10:32:43 AM
At 8/31/2016 9:34:39 AM, Pbody wrote:

I've never found an answer. Far less a logical answer. If you have, please share.
Pbody
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/31/2016 10:39:48 AM
At 8/31/2016 10:32:43 AM, Furyan5 wrote:

I've never found an answer. Far less a logical answer. If you have, please share. : :

Our Creator had the technology available to create a simulation program so he created the one we're involved in. That technology has many biblical names for it such as the word of the Lord, voice of the Lord, Word of God, Son of God, Breath of Life, Messiah, Light of men, my Servant David, etc. This technology processes stored information that contains the simulation program and makes the characters in the program come alive with a consciousness that gives the character self-awareness and created senses to experience a visible world that the character believes is real.
Furyan5
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/31/2016 11:16:50 AM
At 8/31/2016 10:39:48 AM, Pbody wrote:

I've never found an answer. Far less a logical answer. If you have, please share. : :

Our Creator had the technology available to create a simulation program so he created the one we're involved in. That technology has many biblical names for it such as the word of the Lord, voice of the Lord, Word of God, Son of God, Breath of Life, Messiah, Light of men, my Servant David, etc. This technology processes stored information that contains the simulation program and makes the characters in the program come alive with a consciousness that gives the character self-awareness and created senses to experience a visible world that the character believes is real.

Yes, you said that. I asked why? "Our Creator had the technology (where did he get it?), to create a simulation program (based on what!), so he created the one we're involved in (WHY????).

Let's say all this is true, why we're we created? What is the purpose of this simulation? What happens once we achieve that purpose/the simulation runs its course?

To me it's irrelevant whether this is a simulation or real. My questions apply both ways.
Pbody
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/31/2016 11:41:26 AM
At 8/31/2016 11:16:50 AM, Furyan5 wrote:

Yes, you said that. I asked why? "Our Creator had the technology (where did he get it?), to create a simulation program (based on what!), so he created the one we're involved in (WHY????).

Because he could.

Let's say all this is true, why we're we created? What is the purpose of this simulation? What happens once we achieve that purpose/the simulation runs its course?

Because he could. God has promised us through his former prophets that we would experience life forever.

Ezekiel 37
24: "My servant David shall be king over them; and they shall all have one shepherd. They shall follow my ordinances and be careful to observe my statutes.
25: They shall dwell in the land where your fathers dwelt that I gave to my servant Jacob; they and their children and their children's children shall dwell there for ever; and David my servant shall be their prince for ever.
26: I will make a covenant of peace with them; it shall be an everlasting covenant with them; and I will bless them and multiply them, and will set my sanctuary in the midst of them for evermore.
27: My dwelling place shall be with them; and I will be their God, and they shall be my people.
28: Then the nations will know that I the LORD sanctify Israel, when my sanctuary is in the midst of them for evermore."

To me it's irrelevant whether this is a simulation or real. My questions apply both ways.: :

Of course you want to know if we're living in a simulation or not. Your pride is still keeping you from admitting that to me. Your questions of "WHY" is what pride causes you to ask because you know there is absolutely no evidence to back up that answer.
Furyan5
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/31/2016 12:11:12 PM
At 8/31/2016 11:41:26 AM, Pbody wrote:

Because he could.

Because he could. God has promised us through his former prophets that we would experience life forever.

Ezekiel 37
24: "My servant David shall be king over them; and they shall all have one shepherd. They shall follow my ordinances and be careful to observe my statutes.
25: They shall dwell in the land where your fathers dwelt that I gave to my servant Jacob; they and their children and their children's children shall dwell there for ever; and David my servant shall be their prince for ever.
26: I will make a covenant of peace with them; it shall be an everlasting covenant with them; and I will bless them and multiply them, and will set my sanctuary in the midst of them for evermore.
27: My dwelling place shall be with them; and I will be their God, and they shall be my people.
28: Then the nations will know that I the LORD sanctify Israel, when my sanctuary is in the midst of them for evermore."

To me it's irrelevant whether this is a simulation or real. My questions apply both ways.: :

Of course you want to know if we're living in a simulation or not. Your pride is still keeping you from admitting that to me. Your questions of "WHY" is what pride causes you to ask because you know there is absolutely no evidence to back up that answer.

Wrong. I don't need proof of the answer. I just need a answer that makes sense. "Because He could!" is not an acceptable answer. It's the answer someone gives when they don't know the answer. So if you really speak to the Creator, as you claim, ask Him WHY? I'm not fussy. Was He lonely? Bored? Are we entertainment? Does he need us to admire Him and His abilities?

What worries me most is not that you don't have the answers, but rather why you aren't asking the questions.
Pbody
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/31/2016 1:05:30 PM
At 8/31/2016 12:11:12 PM, Furyan5 wrote:

Because he could.

Ezekiel 37

Wrong. I don't need proof of the answer. I just need a answer that makes sense. "Because He could!" is not an acceptable answer. It's the answer someone gives when they don't know the answer. So if you really speak to the Creator, as you claim, ask Him WHY? I'm not fussy. Was He lonely? Bored? Are we entertainment? Does he need us to admire Him and His abilities?

Who said that I speak to the Creator?

What worries me most is not that you don't have the answers, but rather why you aren't asking the questions. : :

I never asked any questions while the voice of God was forcing me to obey it's commands over a 28 1/2 period. All it ever did was comfort me when it would put my body to the ground to do some kind of work that I never understood. When the voice of God finally got me totally humbled to the point where it could now get me to write the words it put in my mind, I didn't need to ask any questions. I just continued to obey the voice of God until I learned who I was. Now I have the answer to how we're created.
Furyan5
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/31/2016 1:07:36 PM
At 8/31/2016 1:05:30 PM, Pbody wrote:

Because he could.

Ezekiel 37

What worries me most is not that you don't have the answers, but rather why you aren't asking the questions. : :

I never asked any questions while the voice of God was forcing me to obey it's commands over a 28 1/2 period. All it ever did was comfort me when it would put my body to the ground to do some kind of work that I never understood. When the voice of God finally got me totally humbled to the point where it could now get me to write the words it put in my mind, I didn't need to ask any questions. I just continued to obey the voice of God until I learned who I was. Now I have the answer to how we're created.

Great. Now find out why.
Pbody
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/31/2016 1:08:59 PM
At 8/31/2016 1:07:36 PM, Furyan5 wrote:

Because he could.

Ezekiel 37

Great. Now find out why. : :

I already told you why our Creator created a simulation program but you don't want to believe it.
Furyan5
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/31/2016 1:18:42 PM
At 8/31/2016 1:08:59 PM, Pbody wrote:

Because he could.

Ezekiel 37

I already told you why our Creator created a simulation program but you don't want to believe it.

Because He could? He could have made us with tails.
Pbody
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/31/2016 1:26:49 PM
At 8/31/2016 1:18:42 PM, Furyan5 wrote:
At 8/31/2016 1:08:59 PM, Pbody wrote:

Because he could.

Ezekiel 37

Because He could? He could have made us with tails. : :

And we might have tails on some of our bodies in the next part of the program when all the laws that govern the illusions are changed.
Hiu
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/31/2016 8:10:07 PM
At 8/31/2016 4:04:59 AM, imperialchimp wrote:
At 8/30/2016 5:02:10 AM, Hiu wrote:

Define "god?"

I can interfere with the universe and possess supernatural abilities (i made the laws of the universe and I can change them). But i am not a limitless god.

Interesting....

Of course the critique of your limitless power would beg the question of could you make something greater than yourself? Or could you imbue someone with power that can be greater than yourself?
Discipulus_Didicit
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/4/2016 2:48:39 PM
Before I begin, a quick observation: There seems to be an increasing number of threads that involve the idea of our reality being some sort of matrix. I wonder why that is?

But that isn't really what I came to say.

I would say you didn't create any universe at all, not in the literal sense at least. Even if the hypothetical beings of that world don't know it the truth is that their world does not exist independently of our own. If their world is a simulation, that simulation relies on some sort of software and any software that exists does so based on some form of hardware, which in turn is (obviously) a part of our reality.

But are you a god of that world? Of course.

The world you created relies entirely on the existence of the real world, but that little piece of our world which contains theirs is completely under your control. It doesn't matter that it is a new world only in a metaphorical sense, it still exists and you are its creator. Within the confines of that simulation you are omniscient and omnipotent.

Congratulations, you are the god of a floppy disc.
Cobalt - You could be scum too.
Matt - I suppose. But I also might not be.

Kiri - Yeah, I don't know what DD is doing.
Vaarka - He's doin'a thingy do

DD - The best advice most often goes unheeded.
Wise Man - KYS, DD.
DD - Case in point ^
GoogooGaga
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/4/2016 5:57:38 PM

Yes, you are a god. Well done. Lap it up, all that worship you programmed them to give you. Bravo!
Serial killers get caught by their signature, I'm not a serial killer though... LOL
Furyan5
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/4/2016 6:30:02 PM
At 9/4/2016 2:48:39 PM, Discipulus_Didicit wrote:
Before I begin, a quick observation: There seems to be an increasing number of threads that involve the idea of our reality being some sort of matrix. I wonder why that is?

Because technology is advancing exponentially. Artificial intelligence is no longer a dream but inevitable. Sentient virtual life, not far behind. Many people already live online and the border between real and virtual is shrinking rapidly. The link between mind and machine is becoming ever more interested. Looking at how the world is changing, a virtual life looks more and more appetizing.

But that isn't really what I came to say.

I would say you didn't create any universe at all, not in the literal sense at least. Even if the hypothetical beings of that world don't know it the truth is that their world does not exist independently of our own. If their world is a simulation, that simulation relies on some sort of software and any software that exists does so based on some form of hardware, which in turn is (obviously) a part of our reality.

But are you a god of that world? Of course.

The world you created relies entirely on the existence of the real world, but that little piece of our world which contains theirs is completely under your control. It doesn't matter that it is a new world only in a metaphorical sense, it still exists and you are its creator. Within the confines of that simulation you are omniscient and omnipotent.

Congratulations, you are the god of a floppy disc.
Discipulus_Didicit
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/5/2016 9:15:06 AM
At 9/4/2016 6:30:02 PM, Furyan5 wrote:
Because technology is advancing exponentially. Artificial intelligence is no longer a dream but inevitable. Sentient virtual life, not far behind. Many people already live online and the border between real and virtual is shrinking rapidly. The link between mind and machine is becoming ever more interested. Looking at how the world is changing, a virtual life looks more and more appetizing.

Why so pessimistic?
Cobalt - You could be scum too.
Matt - I suppose. But I also might not be.

Kiri - Yeah, I don't know what DD is doing.
Vaarka - He's doin'a thingy do

DD - The best advice most often goes unheeded.
Wise Man - KYS, DD.
DD - Case in point ^
bsh1
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/5/2016 9:17:31 AM
https://www.poets.org...
Live Long and Prosper

I'm a Bish.

"Twilight isn't just about obtuse metaphors between cannibalism and premarital sex, it also teaches us the futility of hope." - Raisor

"[Bsh1] is the Guinan of DDO." - ButterCatX

Follow the DDOlympics
: http://www.debate.org...

Open Debate Topics Project: http://www.debate.org...
Z_ONE
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/5/2016 9:25:39 AM

The only possible way of knowing whether or not we're living in a matrix type world is if that "god" reveals to the characters how he created them. I'm one of the characters that was used to reveal the knowledge about the matrix world we're living in.
Z_ONE
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/5/2016 9:40:43 AM
At 9/5/2016 9:17:31 AM, bsh1 wrote:
https://www.poets.org... : :

I got this from your profile;

Nativism teaches us to fear. It teaches us that the other is scary and dangerous and must be resisted. This fear teaches us to feel angry, angry that the other poses this danger, angry that not enough is being done to stop it. And this anger, in its turn, teaches us to hate. It teaches us to hate the other for being the cause of our anger and fear, for being so contemptable, for being so different. And this hatred causes us to see the other as less than ourselves, as worthy of treatment that we would object to were we treated that way. We become numb to everything we share, but all too attuned to everything we don't. As Yoda once said, "Fear is the path to the dark side. Fear leads to anger. Anger leads to hate. Hate leads to suffering." That is nativism's lure: an appeal so base and toxic in nature that it precludes--over time--the consideration of love. And for that, nativism is ignorant too. And that's why I reject it, in the strongest possible terms. Hate should never win.

I was banned from this forum because of hate, which is total rejection caused by fear. If you truly believe what you wrote, then you would support the idea to remove the permanent ban imposed on me by Airmax. It is nothing but fear that causes you to push the "ban" button every time you see me with a new account in this forum. I have been involved in this forum as much as an other member since my permanent ban in April of 2015 with hundred or more new accounts that I've used to remain in here.

I told Airmax on the day he banned me that I would continue coming into Debate.org with new accounts to share the message of hope with anyone interested in it. He should know by now that I'm not going to stop sharing the message of hope in Debate.org until I can no longer type on a keyboard.

What do you think of removing my "permanent ban" status?
Furyan5
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/5/2016 10:54:07 AM
At 9/5/2016 9:15:06 AM, Discipulus_Didicit wrote:

Why so pessimistic?

You call it pessimism, I call it realism. I admit my view of reality is tainted, but facts are facts. The world is in chaos. The future, unsure. Will any of us be here tomorrow? Nobody can say for sure.
Z_ONE
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/5/2016 11:43:57 AM
At 9/5/2016 10:54:07 AM, Furyan5 wrote:

Why so pessimistic?

You call it pessimism, I call it realism. I admit my view of reality is tainted, but facts are facts. The world is in chaos. The future, unsure. Will any of us be here tomorrow? Nobody can say for sure. : :

None of the inhabitants who believe they're standing on a real Earth today will make it to the next part of the program. Only the computing technology that gives them a consciousness and life experiences will remain to give the characters a New Heaven and Earth after the first generation of inhabitants have been destroyed.

Zephaniah 1
18: Neither their silver nor their gold shall be able to deliver them on the day of the wrath of the LORD. In the fire of his jealous wrath, all the earth shall be consumed; for a full, yea, sudden end he will make of all the inhabitants of the earth.

Revelation 21
1: Then I saw a new heaven and a new earth; for the first heaven and the first earth had passed away, and the sea was no more.

Ecclesiastes 1
4: A generation goes, and a generation comes, but the earth remains for ever.

Don't worry my friend. The plan is for all us people to experience life forever but it's also planned to delete information called Satan and the Beast to end the first part of the program.
Furyan5
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/5/2016 11:57:09 AM
At 9/5/2016 11:43:57 AM, Z_ONE wrote:
At 9/5/2016 10:54:07 AM, Furyan5 wrote:

Why so pessimistic?

You call it pessimism, I call it realism. I admit my view of reality is tainted, but facts are facts. The world is in chaos. The future, unsure. Will any of us be here tomorrow? Nobody can say for sure. : :

None of the inhabitants who believe they're standing on a real Earth today will make it to the next part of the program. Only the computing technology that gives them a consciousness and life experiences will remain to give the characters a New Heaven and Earth after the first generation of inhabitants have been destroyed.

Zephaniah 1
18: Neither their silver nor their gold shall be able to deliver them on the day of the wrath of the LORD. In the fire of his jealous wrath, all the earth shall be consumed; for a full, yea, sudden end he will make of all the inhabitants of the earth.

Revelation 21
1: Then I saw a new heaven and a new earth; for the first heaven and the first earth had passed away, and the sea was no more.

Ecclesiastes 1
4: A generation goes, and a generation comes, but the earth remains for ever.

Don't worry my friend. The plan is for all us people to experience life forever but it's also planned to delete information called Satan and the Beast to end the first part of the program.

There is nothing I fear more than eternal life. So no thanks. Without purpose there is no reason to live. All it offers is an eternity of purposeless existence and ultimately insanity.