Total Posts:11|Showing Posts:1-11
Jump to topic:

Live according to principles or experiences?

Benshapiro
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/30/2016 6:23:26 PM
Posted: 3 months ago
Should we live life according to principles or according to experiences?

Of we live life fully according to principles, we forego experiences.

If we live life fully according to experiences, we forego principles.

Which way of living is best? If there should be a compromise between them should it be 50/50? If not, which direction should it lean?
Pbody
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/31/2016 10:48:28 AM
At 8/30/2016 6:23:26 PM, Benshapiro wrote:

Which way of living is best? If there should be a compromise between them should it be 50/50? If not, which direction should it lean? : :

We have no choice but to live according to what the computing technology feeds our individual consciousness. This is why Christians can't live according to the Ten Commandments that weren't meant to be obeyed by God's characters during the first part of the program. Christians pat their backs thinking they are being good by going regularly to a church building that was built with human hands according to the Beast that influences the minds of men.
sdavio
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/31/2016 1:56:14 PM

Which way of living is best? If there should be a compromise between them should it be 50/50? If not, which direction should it lean?

You cannot live "according" to experiences because experiences alone are not (and do not contain) standards of value, they are just a relationship to objects. If we could live according to an experience, then that standard would be canceled out as soon as a contradictory experience arrives. Mere appearance has no "leverage" upon which a standard could gain authority.
"Logic is the money of the mind." - Karl Marx
Throwback
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/31/2016 5:02:26 PM

I live according to principles, which are applied to each individual set of circumstances with the appropriate context provided by experiences. Otherwise principles may be misapplied, as each situation is unique. By way of example, 20 years ago, I would have attempted to talk an axe wielding individual into dropping his weapon, that I might save all lives, including his, according to my principles. Experiences have since taught me I would initially fire 2 shots to the head or if I could see no bomb vest was present, 2 to the body and one to the head, in accordance with my principles of saving as many innocent lives as possible, accompanied by the experience and training that terrorism is real and it is here.
When I respond with "OK" don't take it personally. I'm simply being appropriately dismissive.
wuliheron
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/31/2016 5:34:59 PM

Principles are merely beliefs which all arise from experience. Without both it is rather impossible to communicate.
keithprosser
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/1/2016 10:16:16 AM
I certainly try to live according to certain principles. How I came by those princpiles could be through my innate nature or from my experience, I am not sure. The human mind is so malleable - especially in early childhood - it is very hard to distinguish an innate disposition from early experience.

Of course I take into account what I have learned in my dealings with people. I tend to believe people, but I do temper my credulity because I have learned that people lie and make mistakes. I do not approve of violence, but I have learned that it can be lesser of two evils (or did I always know that? I don't know!).

Perhaps life is a compromise between innate idealism and acquired pragmatism. What is the saying?

"Show me a young Conservative and I"ll show you someone with no heart. Show me an old Liberal and I"ll show you someone with no brains."
Furyan5
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/1/2016 11:40:34 AM

Our experiences determine our principals. How we live is not a choice.
someloser
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/2/2016 6:50:15 PM
Principles tend to make one parochial. But they are useful in some cases.
How about neither?
Ego sum qui sum. Deus lo vult.

"America is ungovernable; those who served the revolution have plowed the sea." - Simon Bolivar

"A healthy nation is as unconscious of its nationality as a healthy man of his bones. But if you break a nation's nationality it will think of nothing else but getting it set again." - George Bernard Shaw
keithprosser
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/3/2016 5:45:34 AM
At 9/2/2016 6:50:15 PM, someloser wrote:
Principles tend to make one parochial. But they are useful in some cases.
How about neither?

Actually, I think you have a point, cynical tho' it be. In real life we neither live up to our ideals nor do we always learn from experience!

So 'Neither' is the right answer!
skipsaweirdo
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/3/2016 11:35:22 AM
At 8/31/2016 10:48:28 AM, Pbody wrote:

Which way of living is best? If there should be a compromise between them should it be 50/50? If not, which direction should it lean? : :

We have no choice but to live according to what the computing technology feeds our individual consciousness. This is why Christians can't live according to the Ten Commandments that weren't meant to be obeyed by God's characters during the first part of the program. Christians pat their backs thinking they are being good by going regularly to a church building that was built with human hands according to the Beast that influences the minds of men.
Based on the opening sentence you simply are contradicting yourself. How you manage to in one paragraph is beyond me. The beast only influences the minds of men because the programming has allowed it. We have no choice but to be influenced by it according to your reasoning. So, Christians don't think they are doing good and you can't know what good is because you can only think what the program has determined.
Discipulus_Didicit
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/4/2016 8:31:56 AM
Well it is hard to say "100% experiences" or "100% principals" but that doesn't answer your question.

I think a comprimise is possible if people are willing to shape their principals around their experiences. The problem with saying "mostly principals" is that principals incompatible with human nature (experiences) are unlikely to be followed by the majority of people, and incompatible principals result with no way of determining which if any is objectively correct. The problem with saying "mostly experiences" is that everyones experiences are different and again no objectively correct way of doing things is possible to determine.

The comprimise is to take those few experiences common to all people and create a set of principals using those core common facts of life as the basic underlying concepts. Such a set of principals could be universally applicable if they are based on the reality of human nature, without sacrificing objectivity by having to take every single detail into account.
Cobalt - You could be scum too.
Matt - I suppose. But I also might not be.

Kiri - Yeah, I don't know what DD is doing.
Vaarka - He's doin'a thingy do

DD - The best advice most often goes unheeded.
Wise Man - KYS, DD.
DD - Case in point ^