The Flower Sermon(buddha)

CosmicAlfonzo
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/12/2011 11:51:54 AM
Posted: 5 years ago
~~~~~
Toward the end of his life, the Buddha took his disciples to a quiet pond for instruction. As they had done so many times before, the Buddha's followers sat in a small circle around him, and waited for the teaching.

But this time the Buddha had no words. He reached into the muck and pulled up a lotus flower. And he held it silently before them, its roots dripping mud and water.

The disciples were greatly confused. Buddha quietly displayed the lotus to each of them. In turn, the disciples did their best to expound upon the meaning of the flower: what it symbollized, and how it fit into the body of Buddha's teaching.

When at last the Buddha came to his follower Mahakasyapa, the disciple suddenly understood. He smiled and began to laugh. Buddha handed the lotus to Mahakasyapa and began to speak.
"What can be said I have said to you," smiled the Buddha, "and what cannot be said, I have given to Mahakashyapa."
Mahakashyapa became Buddha's successor from that day forward.
~~~~~

My interpretation...

Buddha was making fun of the fact that the people following him were too damn serious and hinged on his every word. He was making fun of them for seeing patterns where there weren't any, for being analytical to the point of absurdity.

The flower itself doesn't mean anything.. It's just a flower.

You now realize that The Buddha always had his troll face on.
Official "High Priest of Secular Affairs and Transient Distributor of Sonic Apple Seeds relating to the Reptilian Division of Paperwork Immoliation" of The FREEDO Bureaucracy, a DDO branch of the Erisian Front, a subdivision of the Discordian Back, a Limb of the Illuminatian Cosmic Utensil Corp
GeoLaureate8
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/12/2011 12:40:05 PM
Haha, that's a cool sermon. I never heard that one before. What is the scriptural source?
"We must raise the standard of the Old, free, decentralized, and strictly limited Republic."
-- Murray Rothbard

"The worst thing that can happen to a good cause is, not to be skillfully attacked, but to be ineptly defended."
-- Frederic Bastiat
CosmicAlfonzo
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/12/2011 12:45:40 PM
Really not sure, it's a commonly circulated story. I originates from the Zen school of Buddhism.
Official "High Priest of Secular Affairs and Transient Distributor of Sonic Apple Seeds relating to the Reptilian Division of Paperwork Immoliation" of The FREEDO Bureaucracy, a DDO branch of the Erisian Front, a subdivision of the Discordian Back, a Limb of the Illuminatian Cosmic Utensil Corp
Qynze
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/17/2011 10:21:33 PM
This definitely highlights my belief towards many, many things in life.
Charlie Eppes: Are you thinking what I'm thinking?
Colby Granger: Uhhh... no.
----------
NUMB3RS