Jump to topic:

Origins Of Language . . .

SuperRobotWars
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/14/2011 6:19:22 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
I wish to analyze the origin of language, not written but spoken . . . did our first spoken languages arise from emulating the sounds of nature or were they based upon the giving of random sounds to the things around us. If the former was correct would there not be an greater consistency of sounds within modern languages . . . ?
Minister Of Trolling
: At 12/6/2011 2:21:41 PM, badger wrote:
: ugly people should beat beautiful people ugly. simple! you'd be killing two birds with the one stone... women like violent men and you're making yourself more attractive, relatively. i met a blonde dude who was prettier than me not so long ago. he's not so pretty now! ha!
:
: ...and well, he wasn't really prettier than me. he just had nice hair.
gavin.ogden
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/14/2011 6:31:23 PM
Could you rephrase that, please? I am not really understanding the question, but from what I can understand, I believe the answer may already be known.
Zetsubou
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/14/2011 6:33:28 PM
Well, it depends on what you consider to be speech and language. homo habilis is the primate species that many believe to have first spoke(at a reasonable level). The field on neurolingustics is currently at dispute over the correct cognitive image for language. It's generally accepted that various part of the frontal lobe are more active during speech but it is also accepted that other parts such as the occipital lope(V1-V4) can potentially be active during speech.
'sup DDO -- july 2013
Zetsubou
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/14/2011 6:38:09 PM
It's called Onomatopoeia and yes, it would have been like that originally. Mainly with verbs but nouns and advanced verbs arise from association with proper nouns derived from abstract sounds.
'sup DDO -- july 2013
CosmicAlfonzo
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/14/2011 7:36:07 PM
The origins of language?

Finding patterns. Human beings are notorious pattern finders. Often times even to the point of finding patterns that aren't really there =p
Official "High Priest of Secular Affairs and Transient Distributor of Sonic Apple Seeds relating to the Reptilian Division of Paperwork Immoliation" of The FREEDO Bureaucracy, a DDO branch of the Erisian Front, a subdivision of the Discordian Back, a Limb of the Illuminatian Cosmic Utensil Corp
PARADIGM_L0ST
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/14/2011 9:02:10 PM
At 1/14/2011 6:19:22 PM, SuperRobotWars wrote:
I wish to analyze the origin of language, not written but spoken . . . did our first spoken languages arise from emulating the sounds of nature or were they based upon the giving of random sounds to the things around us.:

All we can know linguistically, with any measure of accuracy, is from written word. We weren't around to hear spoken word. That deals with philology.
"Have you ever considered suicide? If not, please do." -- Mouthwash (to Inferno)