Total Posts:49|Showing Posts:1-30|Last Page
Jump to topic:

why do people fear death if there is nothing.

DogDogDog
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/7/2016 9:30:22 PM
Posted: 2 months ago
if there is nothing then you will not be there to fear it. because you will cease to exist, thus no need to fear it. so why do people fear it?
Silly_Billy
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/7/2016 11:47:08 PM
At 10/7/2016 9:30:22 PM, DogDogDog wrote:
if there is nothing then you will not be there to fear it. because you will cease to exist, thus no need to fear it. so why do people fear it?

We are programmed to fear it.
Hiu
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/8/2016 12:07:39 AM

Like Silly_Billy said our bodies are made up of organs that constantly work to sustain itself and to preserve life which is also linked to our psyche. So naturally the fear of not breathing or dropping dead and to cease to exist is a natural fear that a lot of people both religious and irreligious have. Most humans feel fear, but we tend to train ourselves to not fear it. For me I don't fear death in the sense of the word, I'm afraid that I'm going to leave this world unhappy or not accomplish the things I want to. But I am certainly not an unbeliever in an afterlife. I think (or believe) something exists after death its a matter of finding out.
Deb-8-A-Bull
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/8/2016 5:20:33 AM
At 10/8/2016 3:02:49 AM, Stymie13 wrote:
Not all fear death.

#2. Because it happens to loved ones.
#3. Because we don't all die in our sleep.
#4 The uknown
#5 Our other fellings don't match up with it as good as fear.
#6 suicide prevention.
#7. Because we do.

And at #1. On reasons we fear death .
I / myself think. Now get this .
#1. Because when we die , not long after, there is going to a big party. And we will not be able to go.
Philosophy101
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/8/2016 5:31:29 AM

I think it is because our lives are pretty decent and death deprives us of the good of life. To me, nothing is the scariest death we can have; being completely erased from existence is just unsettling to me.
imperialchimp
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/8/2016 7:34:36 AM
At 10/8/2016 5:31:29 AM, Philosophy101 wrote:

I think it is because our lives are pretty decent and death deprives us of the good of life. To me, nothing is the scariest death we can have; being completely erased from existence is just unsettling to me.

well when you die, you won't face anything scary since you won't even be conscious in the first place. It's just a dreamless sleep.
Ape Lives Matter (ALM)

What if I were to tell you that humans have false logic? Prepare for confusion.

-.-- --- ..- / ... .... --- ..- .-.. -.. / .... .- ...- . / -. --- - / - .-. .- -. ... .-.. .- - . -.. / - .... .. ... .-.-.- .-.-.- .-.-.-

Don't waste your time trying to find truth...you pleb!
Annnaxim
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/8/2016 8:59:06 AM
As Richard Dawkins wrote: All of us are longer dead than alive.

Death is not the problem. Life is the problem, because it is so sweet.
Furyan5
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/8/2016 11:54:13 AM

As children we don't understand death but we see adults crying when someone dies. Through this we correspond death with something bad. This becomes a subconscious belief which we can never change even though our conscious minds know better.
ANON_TacTiX
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/9/2016 2:04:12 AM

The human brain cannot comprehend nonexistence, so there is the whole fear of the unknown thing. Also, nobody wants their time in this universe to end. It is an amazing place full of natural wonders at which we just sit back and marvel. The world around us is full of amazing things and people, and to cut the experience we call life short is a tragedy. Then there are the people that you leave behind that care about you. People that will miss you. People that will be saddened by your death. Nobody wants to make the people that they care for miserable, even if it is only for a while.

I hope that, when I die, I will not be afraid. I hope that I will have lived life to the fullest. I hope that I will have done something and made a difference in the world. I hope that I will leave this world surrounded by loving family. Though I will be leaving this existence, i hope that, at the very least, I can smile when I go. I don't think that I will be completely without fear or regret when I die, but I hope that I can get damn close.
Learn from yesterday, live for today, hope for tomorrow. The important thing is not to stop questioning. - Albert Einstein
Kove_Ducote
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/9/2016 8:46:53 AM
Posted: 1 month ago
At 10/8/2016 7:34:36 AM, imperialchimp wrote:

well when you die, you won't face anything scary since you won't even be conscious in the first place. It's just a dreamless sleep.

Only the dead know what happens beyond death. They have learned, but they cannot tell us.
keithprosser
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/9/2016 11:22:27 AM
As silly billy said, we are programmed to fear death. If we were indifferent to our survival then we would probably die young, before we have even reproduced. We have evolved a way to keep us alive by associating death with 'negative emotions', such as fear.

One reason we humans have big brains is that we can control our behaviour 'cognitively' or 'rationally' and not depend purely on instincts we inherited from our evolutionary ancestors. Thus we can over-ride the instinct to preserve our survival in certain circumstances, but the instinct to live is normally very strong. The reason is that dead individuals can't reproduce.
janesix
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/9/2016 8:28:26 PM
I fear that there is something after death. I dont want to die aand wake up to realizing im immortal.
Wylted
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/9/2016 9:49:23 PM

This is dumb. Obviously people value their existence and don't want to stop existing. If there is no after life it is a very scary thing unless you are in denial about what death actually is or some idiot who places no value on existing.
Wylted
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/9/2016 9:53:27 PM

Yeah and when you are being tortured you don't have to fear torture anymore. Why state the obvious that fear precedes the event we fear whther the event be non existence, physical pain, rejection etc. The guy about to get his balls cut off, no longer fears it once the balls have already been cut off, but that statement is obvious and stupid to say, despite you saying a similar thing.
imperialchimp
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/9/2016 10:51:01 PM
At 10/9/2016 9:53:27 PM, Wylted wrote:

Yeah and when you are being tortured you don't have to fear torture anymore. Why state the obvious that fear precedes the event we fear whther the event be non existence, physical pain, rejection etc. The guy about to get his balls cut off, no longer fears it once the balls have already been cut off, but that statement is obvious and stupid to say, despite you saying a similar thing.

The magic word is "conscious"

If a guy had his balls cut off then he would be aware of the fact that he no longer has his balls. When you die, you won't be able to think about what just happened.
Ape Lives Matter (ALM)

-.-- --- ..- / ... .... --- ..- .-.. -.. / .... .- ...- . / -. --- - / - .-. .- -. ... .-.. .- - . -.. / - .... .. ... .-.-.- .-.-.- .-.-.-

n7
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/10/2016 7:20:12 PM

Fear of death is equated with the fear of missing out.
404 coherent debate topic not found. Please restart the debate with clear resolution.

Uphold Marxist-Leninist-Maoist-Sargonist-n7ism.
skipsaweirdo
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/10/2016 7:25:42 PM
What happens when you're decapitated in a car wreck?
What happens when you get shot three times and die a day later?
People don't fear death, they fear how they are going to die in my experience. I would rather someone walk up behind me and put a .45 cal through my head instead of drown9ng in the ocean or getting bit in half by a shark.
Hiu
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/11/2016 1:37:17 AM
At 10/10/2016 7:25:42 PM, skipsaweirdo wrote:
People don't fear death, they fear how they are going to die in my experience. I would rather someone walk up behind me and put a .45 cal through my head instead of drown9ng in the ocean or getting bit in half by a shark.

Hmmm interesting viewpoint. But as others here said, it is a matter of "missing out."
imperialchimp
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/11/2016 2:29:52 AM
At 10/11/2016 1:37:17 AM, Hiu wrote:

Hmmm interesting viewpoint. But as others here said, it is a matter of "missing out."

well i never got to see the construction of the pyramids of giza. I also never got to see the FDR get elected. I missed out on those things so why should i be sad about missing out on other things in the future?
Ape Lives Matter (ALM)

Hiu
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/11/2016 4:47:16 AM
At 10/11/2016 2:29:52 AM, imperialchimp wrote:

well i never got to see the construction of the pyramids of giza. I also never got to see the FDR get elected. I missed out on those things so why should i be sad about missing out on other things in the future?

Difference is in some instances you may have familial ties to this world and may experience (God forbid) an unfortunate iollness that may shorten your lifespan and perhaps you may not be ready to meet your fate. Of course how you think now is how you think but we all have that breaking point.
skipsaweirdo
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/11/2016 6:20:09 AM

Yep. Those people are merely avoiding the issue. There are numerous experiences someone could plug into that excuse and it work as missing out. I fear death because I'll miss out on commercial space trips to Mars.....lol.....Sounds kind of immature.
matt8800
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/15/2016 7:56:16 PM

Survival instinct as a result of natural selection.
R0b1Billion
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/15/2016 9:50:34 PM
At 10/8/2016 8:59:06 AM, Annnaxim wrote:
As Richard Dawkins wrote: All of us are longer dead than alive.

I don't agree with that.

Death is not the problem. Life is the problem, because it is so sweet.

I don't agree with that either.
Beliefs in a nutshell:
- The Ends never justify the Means.
- Objectivity is secondary to subjectivity.
- The War on Drugs is the worst policy in the U.S.
- Most people worship technology as a religion.
- Computers will never become sentient.
Philosophy101
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/17/2016 6:17:09 PM

You are right we no longer have to fear getting our balls cut off once they are cut off, but once they are cut off we no longer have our balls. Is it worse to fear not having your balls or to not have them?
Wylted
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/17/2016 8:27:28 PM
At 10/17/2016 6:17:09 PM, Philosophy101 wrote:

You are right we no longer have to fear getting our balls cut off once they are cut off, but once they are cut off we no longer have our balls. Is it worse to fear not having your balls or to not have them?

The fear of losing them may be worse. I hear eunachs have a longer lifespan and typically lead a happier life
Philosophy101
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/18/2016 12:35:08 AM
At 10/17/2016 8:27:28 PM, Wylted wrote:
At 10/17/2016 6:17:09 PM, Philosophy101 wrote:

The fear of losing them may be worse. I hear eunachs have a longer lifespan and typically lead a happier life

I'd still rather have mine.
Wylted
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/18/2016 12:38:06 AM
At 10/18/2016 12:35:08 AM, Philosophy101 wrote:

I'd still rather have mine.

Have fun living until 78 instead of 88 because of it
Perussi
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/18/2016 1:40:33 PM

Imagine never being concious again. You will never think or feel anything ever again. Let that sink in.
Forum Record: 6/0

Funny Quotes:

"i worship satan and allahu akbar and hispanic muslims i am an illigal immigrant"
-communist_snake-

"What fuking dates are you talking about child. the and ridiculous and stay out of mummies drugs, you're fuked."
-I'll keep this anonymous...-

"fuk off bog, no one even reads your crap, what price is you hooker now?"
-same dude as above....-
Furyan5
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/18/2016 2:37:54 PM
At 10/18/2016 1:40:33 PM, Perussi wrote:

Imagine never being concious again. You will never think or feel anything ever again. Let that sink in.

Imagine existing forever.
Let that sink in.