Jump to topic:

Torture vs. Oblivion

Perussi
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/18/2016 1:45:16 PM
Posted: 1 month ago
Would you rather be tortured forever horribly and never be able to get used to it or have any sort of nullification of physical pain, forever. Or would you rather never be able to think or feel anything again. You cease to exist and are wiped from the universe.

I would rather take the torture, knowing it will never end because ceasing to exist is far scarier to me.
Forum Record: 6/0

Funny Quotes:

"i worship satan and allahu akbar and hispanic muslims i am an illigal immigrant"
-communist_snake-

"What fuking dates are you talking about child. the and ridiculous and stay out of mummies drugs, you're fuked."
-I'll keep this anonymous...-

"fuk off bog, no one even reads your crap, what price is you hooker now?"
-same dude as above....-
MasonicSlayer
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/18/2016 2:16:37 PM
Brilliant deduction. Living a life of endless pain becomes less painful than feeling no pain whatsoever. Back to the advice column for you. Your useless knowledge is in high demand, oh wiseless one.
Furyan5
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/18/2016 2:24:12 PM
At 10/18/2016 1:45:16 PM, Perussi wrote:
Would you rather be tortured forever horribly and never be able to get used to it or have any sort of nullification of physical pain, forever. Or would you rather never be able to think or feel anything again. You cease to exist and are wiped from the universe.

I would rather take the torture, knowing it will never end because ceasing to exist is far scarier to me.

Congratulations. You have just devised a foolproof way to gauge IQ with just one question. Anyone who seeks eternal life has to be intellectually deficient. If you can't figure out why I say so that just proves my point.
Perussi
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/18/2016 3:15:18 PM
At 10/18/2016 2:24:12 PM, Furyan5 wrote:

Congratulations. You have just devised a foolproof way to gauge IQ with just one question. Anyone who seeks eternal life has to be intellectually deficient. If you can't figure out why I say so that just proves my point.

You didn't even think about it. This is off topic.

Funny Quotes:

"i worship satan and allahu akbar and hispanic muslims i am an illigal immigrant"
-communist_snake-

"What fuking dates are you talking about child. the and ridiculous and stay out of mummies drugs, you're fuked."

-same dude as above....-
Perussi
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/18/2016 3:16:26 PM
At 10/18/2016 2:16:37 PM, MasonicSlayer wrote:
Brilliant deduction. Living a life of endless pain becomes less painful than feeling no pain whatsoever.

It is just less scary to me.

Back to the advice column for you. Your useless knowledge is in high demand, oh wiseless one.

Thisiwn't knowledge, this is a would you rather.

Funny Quotes:

-communist_snake-

-same dude as above....-
MasonicSlayer
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/18/2016 3:29:15 PM
At 10/18/2016 3:16:26 PM, Perussi wrote:
At 10/18/2016 2:16:37 PM, MasonicSlayer wrote:
Brilliant deduction. Living a life of endless pain becomes less painful than feeling no pain whatsoever.

It is just less scary to me.

Back to the advice column for you. Your useless knowledge is in high demand, oh wiseless one.

Thisiwn't knowledge, this is a would you rather.

Ooh. A word jumble. I love these games. Ugh....
MasonicSlayer
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/18/2016 3:34:01 PM
At 10/18/2016 2:24:12 PM, Furyan5 wrote:

I'll take "painful ignorance is bliss" for 500, Alex.
Perussi
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/18/2016 3:51:43 PM
You guys really need to get a life. I am now going to shun all of you KOS atheists.

Funny Quotes:

-communist_snake-

-same dude as above....-
difference
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/18/2016 4:35:36 PM
Would you rather feel fear forever and never be able to get used to it or would you rather never be able to think or feel anything again?

To answer your question, I'd rather not exist.
Inglenook
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/18/2016 5:03:31 PM

I feel rather that ceasing to exist might feel rather like it felt to not have yet been born - something I once 'experienced' with no negative effects.
Perussi
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/18/2016 5:12:30 PM
At 10/18/2016 5:03:31 PM, Inglenook wrote:

I feel rather that ceasing to exist might feel rather like it felt to not have yet been born - something I once 'experienced' with no negative effects.

That is actually exactly right, not existing yet. But the negative effect is the absence of effects.

Funny Quotes:

-communist_snake-

-same dude as above....-
Inglenook
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/18/2016 5:20:00 PM
At 10/18/2016 5:12:30 PM, Perussi wrote:
At 10/18/2016 5:03:31 PM, Inglenook wrote:

That is actually exactly right, not existing yet. But the negative effect is the absence of effects.

That doesn't strike me as an effect precisely because it has no 'effect' on me. You may feel differently.
Genius_Intellect
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/19/2016 12:28:56 AM

An eternity of torture will destroy you anyway, so there's no difference.
Perussi
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/19/2016 3:30:31 AM
At 10/19/2016 12:28:56 AM, Genius_Intellect wrote:

If it was an eternity you wouldn't be destroyed, lets say it is like brain in a vat.

Funny Quotes:

-communist_snake-

-same dude as above....-
Genius_Intellect
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/19/2016 4:11:32 AM
At 10/19/2016 3:30:31 AM, Perussi wrote:

If it was an eternity you wouldn't be destroyed, lets say it is like brain in a vat.

You miss my point. Eternal torture is soul-destroying, so you're no better off than if you were obliterated.
Perussi
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/19/2016 4:36:36 AM
At 10/19/2016 4:11:32 AM, Genius_Intellect wrote:
At 10/19/2016 3:30:31 AM, Perussi wrote:

You miss my point. Eternal torture is soul-destroying, so you're no better off than if you were obliterated.

This assumes it isn't.

Funny Quotes:

-communist_snake-

-same dude as above....-
Face-of-the-deep
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/19/2016 6:00:52 AM

Those are two very unpleasant choices. That reminds me of a joke. A sailor died at sea and found himself standing in front of the Devil. The Devil said that he could choose from three rooms to spend eternity in. He showed him the first and there was people standing on their heads in dog crap 4ft. deep. The sailor said, let's see the next one, and there was people on their heads in crap 3 ft. deep. Then he looked at the third room and there was people standing up talking in 5 ft. of crap. The sailor said, this is the room that I want. So then the Devil said, "Break is over, everybody back on your heads".
keithprosser
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/19/2016 12:52:14 PM

I have to ask what is the most physically painful experience Perussi has ever suffered, especially where it was not mitigated by analgesics. On a couple of occasions in my life I have felt real agony, and I think a lot of people would choose to end their life rather than suffer that level of pain for more than a few minutes.
Would it really be better to be screaming you head off from sheer pain for ever than to die? I don't think it is, not if you're talking about real agony rather than mild discomfort!
Perussi
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/19/2016 4:05:33 PM
At 10/19/2016 12:52:14 PM, keithprosser wrote:

I have to ask what is the most physically painful experience Perussi has ever suffered, especially where it was not mitigated by analgesics. On a couple of occasions in my life I have felt real agony, and I think a lot of people would choose to end their life rather than suffer that level of pain for more than a few minutes.
Would it really be better to be screaming you head off from sheer pain for ever than to die? I don't think it is, not if you're talking about real agony rather than mild discomfort!

I don't care about how much the unimaginable pain is if it means existing.

Funny Quotes:

-communist_snake-

-same dude as above....-
ANON_TacTiX
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/19/2016 4:08:32 PM

So death or eternal torture. I'd rather end my existence than continue to exist in torment.
Learn from yesterday, live for today, hope for tomorrow. The important thing is not to stop questioning. - Albert Einstein
keithprosser
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/19/2016 4:58:47 PM
At 10/19/2016 4:05:33 PM, Perussi wrote:

Fair enough - but I think you are in the minority.
Perussi
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/19/2016 5:14:18 PM
At 10/19/2016 4:58:47 PM, keithprosser wrote:
At 10/19/2016 4:05:33 PM, Perussi wrote:

Fair enough - but I think you are in the minority.

I know, lel.

Funny Quotes:

-communist_snake-

-same dude as above....-
Inglenook
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/20/2016 10:46:54 AM
I'd also like to add I have no real problems with ceasing to exist at an appropriate juncture, and would always prefer non-existence to perpetual torture.

I'd be surprised if many people I know would disagree with this.
Furyan5
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/20/2016 10:53:21 AM

Personally pain is irrelevant. Even eternal life without pain would become unbearable after 200 billion years. Probably much less. What do you do once no other life exists? Once stars no longer shine? Spend a few hours in a sensory deprivation chamber and tell me you can face an eternity of utter darkness and silence. Insanity is not a path I wish on my worst enemy, far less on myself.
keithprosser
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/20/2016 2:26:32 PM
Even eternal life without pain would become unbearable after 200 billion years
And 200 billion years is just the beginning of forever....

I wonder if people are programmed to worry less about death as they age. I'm not saying old people want to die, but they are not in general terrified of the prospect despite its inevitability and proximity! Once you hit 70 or so, you begin to feel 'Been there, done that' and the prospect of oblivion is preferable to one of infinte boredom. Young people still enjoy the thrill of gaining new experiences so can't imagine eternity as boring.

Of course, sex and reproduction comes into it. Old people have done their bit for the species but youngsters still have to reproduce, or reproduce a bit more more befire its too late. I think I was keener on living forever when I was a child or teenager than I am now. I don't know if that is because I have mellowed or because I have had to come to terms with the inevitable, but either way I don't have the level of 'existential dread' of death I might have had 40 years ago.
Furyan5
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/20/2016 3:12:34 PM
At 10/20/2016 2:26:32 PM, keithprosser wrote:
Even eternal life without pain would become unbearable after 200 billion years
And 200 billion years is just the beginning of forever....

I wonder if people are programmed to worry less about death as they age. I'm not saying old people want to die, but they are not in general terrified of the prospect despite its inevitability and proximity! Once you hit 70 or so, you begin to feel 'Been there, done that' and the prospect of oblivion is preferable to one of infinte boredom. Young people still enjoy the thrill of gaining new experiences so can't imagine eternity as boring.

Of course, sex and reproduction comes into it. Old people have done their bit for the species but youngsters still have to reproduce, or reproduce a bit more more befire its too late. I think I was keener on living forever when I was a child or teenager than I am now. I don't know if that is because I have mellowed or because I have had to come to terms with the inevitable, but either way I don't have the level of 'existential dread' of death I might have had 40 years ago.

Lol I like the idea. The desire to live is genetically designed to be stronger in youth than in later years. Like our sex drive or our desire to climb mountains. But perhaps it's just a matter of been there, done that.
Philosophy101
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/21/2016 3:47:29 AM

This is a fantastic question; would you rathergo to Christian hell or atheist death. The problem with Christian hell is there is no hope of renewal, not even a slim shred of hope. On the other hand with authiest death there is the slimmest chance of renewal in the reconstitution of your grosser body over an immeasurable timespan. That being said I prefer the Christian hell to athiest death for the reason existing is a good when compared with not existing (just so long at it is not in Dante's 9th crevice of malebolge).

However, the alternative of Buddhist hell is that one day you will be released from the eternal torture. It is much worse than Christian hell, but at least there is renewal. So in the end I would choose Buddhist hell because it has the greatest chance at renewal. In fact, reincarnation is found in much ancient literature and is seen as a time of famine from existence where we are reborn into a new vessel. Hopefully I (and anyone reading this) have good karma stored up and won't go to any of those awful places.
Bennett91
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/21/2016 6:14:10 AM

If you want to have a real life example of this question being answered, ask those who commit suicide.
Perussi
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/21/2016 11:09:44 AM
At 10/21/2016 6:14:10 AM, Bennett91 wrote:

If you want to have a real life example of this question being answered, ask those who commit suicide.

False, this is more pascal's wager.

Funny Quotes:

-communist_snake-

-same dude as above....-
keithprosser
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/21/2016 12:25:10 PM
I note Perussi is 16 years old according to his profile. It will be interesting to know if he feels the same way in 50 years time! Unfortunately even if DDO exists then I doubt if I will.