Jump to topic:

Philosophical Dilemma: Does Man Exist?

GeoLaureate8
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/19/2011 4:21:24 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
Does man exist? Support your answer with a reasoned argument.

(This is one of the many topics in Michael Tsarions upcoming philosophy DVD so the answer will be known when it comes out, I just want to see if we can come close to the answer.)
"We must raise the standard of the Old, free, decentralized, and strictly limited Republic."
-- Murray Rothbard

"The worst thing that can happen to a good cause is, not to be skillfully attacked, but to be ineptly defended."
-- Frederic Bastiat
SuperRobotWars
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/19/2011 4:26:31 PM
No . . . humans exist . . .
Minister Of Trolling
: At 12/6/2011 2:21:41 PM, badger wrote:
: ugly people should beat beautiful people ugly. simple! you'd be killing two birds with the one stone... women like violent men and you're making yourself more attractive, relatively. i met a blonde dude who was prettier than me not so long ago. he's not so pretty now! ha!
:
: ...and well, he wasn't really prettier than me. he just had nice hair.
belle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/19/2011 4:29:32 PM
At 1/19/2011 4:21:24 PM, GeoLaureate8 wrote:

(This is one of the many topics in Michael Tsarions upcoming philosophy DVD so the answer will be known when it comes out, I just want to see if we can come close to the answer.)

this just in... michael tsarion is infallible. good to know!
evidently i only come to ddo to avoid doing homework...
SuperRobotWars
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/19/2011 4:30:44 PM
At 1/19/2011 4:29:32 PM, belle wrote:

Or is it . . . ?
Minister Of Trolling
: ugly people should beat beautiful people ugly. simple! you'd be killing two birds with the one stone... women like violent men and you're making yourself more attractive, relatively. i met a blonde dude who was prettier than me not so long ago. he's not so pretty now! ha!
:
GeoLaureate8
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/19/2011 4:35:35 PM

Yeah, he's the guy in my avatar. Every video on philosophy and psychology of his has been on point. (Philosophically, he's a Heideggerian but he goes even beyond that.)

Anyways, do you have an answer to the dilemma?
"We must raise the standard of the Old, free, decentralized, and strictly limited Republic."
-- Murray Rothbard

"The worst thing that can happen to a good cause is, not to be skillfully attacked, but to be ineptly defended."
-- Frederic Bastiat
Ore_Ele
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/19/2011 4:36:55 PM
At 1/19/2011 4:35:35 PM, GeoLaureate8 wrote:

Yeah, he's the guy in my avatar. Every video on philosophy and psychology of his has been on point. (Philosophically, he's a Heideggerian but he goes even beyond that.)

define "exist"
"Wanting Red Rhino Pill to have gender"
belle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/19/2011 4:43:17 PM

i really hate continental philosophy, lol.

but anyways, its hard to answer your question because i don't know what you're getting at. generally man in a concept meant to refer to those living creatures with advanced cognitive capacities in the abstract... its less scientific than "human" in that it seems to point to our specifically rational/mental qualities, rather than our biologial species. its conceivable that intelligent aliens could be considered men. as a concept it certainly exists. do concepts exist in a concrete sense? i'm gonna say no on that one.
GeoLaureate8
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/19/2011 4:45:20 PM
At 1/19/2011 4:36:55 PM, OreEle wrote:

define "exist"

To have actual being.
-- Murray Rothbard

-- Frederic Bastiat
GeoLaureate8
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/19/2011 4:54:09 PM
At 1/19/2011 4:43:17 PM, belle wrote:

but anyways, its hard to answer your question because i don't know what you're getting at.

I honestly don't know either. I just saw the question and reposted it, though I do think I have an idea about what this question means. See below.

generally man in a concept meant to refer to those living creatures with advanced cognitive capacities in the abstract... its less scientific than "human" in that it seems to point to our specifically rational/mental qualities, rather than our biologial species. its conceivable that intelligent aliens could be considered men. as a concept it certainly exists. do concepts exist in a concrete sense? i'm gonna say no on that one.

I don't think this question is about biological specification or classification, but rather does man, in the ontological sense, exist. Really, we could ask the same question about animals as well, but the discussion would be a bit different.
-- Murray Rothbard

-- Frederic Bastiat
belle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/19/2011 4:57:02 PM
At 1/19/2011 4:54:09 PM, GeoLaureate8 wrote:
I don't think this question is about biological specification or classification, but rather does man, in the ontological sense, exist. Really, we could ask the same question about animals as well, but the discussion would be a bit different.

i agree the concept "man" has little to do with our biology except that we haven't met anything else deserving of the label. clearly specific men (and women!) exist but theres no point asking that question. so i can only assume he's going after the concept, which, as a concept, certainly exists, but as an object, almost certainly does not. unless you considered concepts objects. :/

really though, i don't get why this question is interesting
CosmicAlfonzo
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/19/2011 9:45:55 PM
I exist, but the rest of you are just dancing around in my head.

I'd try to convince you, but what would be the point in convincing figments of my imagination anything?
Official "High Priest of Secular Affairs and Transient Distributor of Sonic Apple Seeds relating to the Reptilian Division of Paperwork Immoliation" of The FREEDO Bureaucracy, a DDO branch of the Erisian Front, a subdivision of the Discordian Back, a Limb of the Illuminatian Cosmic Utensil Corp
J.Kenyon
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/19/2011 10:05:49 PM

This.

but anyways, its hard to answer your question because i don't know what you're getting at. generally man in a concept meant to refer to those living creatures with advanced cognitive capacities in the abstract... its less scientific than "human" in that it seems to point to our specifically rational/mental qualities, rather than our biologial species. its conceivable that intelligent aliens could be considered men. as a concept it certainly exists. do concepts exist in a concrete sense? i'm gonna say no on that one.

And this.
Puck
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/20/2011 12:26:39 AM
At 1/19/2011 11:10:59 PM, Dazedinday wrote:
Exist is a very funny thing.

I define myself as a man.
I exist.
Thus, man exists.

Equivocation. :P
TheSkeptic
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/20/2011 3:05:06 AM
Come on now, continental philosophy doesn't deserve all the hate it garners - there are substantive philosophical content worthy of understanding, it's just that often they are interpreted by a bias so strong it makes continental philosophy seem to be on the same level of idiocy as Michael Tsarion.
Cerebral_Narcissist
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/20/2011 3:09:58 AM
I exist, and I sometimes doubt that. Thats all I know.
I am voting for Innomen because of his intelligence, common sense, humility and the fact that Juggle appears to listen to him. Any other Presidential style would have a large sub-section of the site up in arms. If I was President I would destroy the site though elitism, others would let it run riot. Innomen represents a middle way that works, neither draconian nor anarchic and that is the only way things can work. Plus he does it all without ego trips.
annhasle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/20/2011 3:16:19 AM
At 1/20/2011 3:05:06 AM, TheSkeptic wrote:
Come on now, continental philosophy doesn't deserve all the hate it garners - there are substantive philosophical content worthy of understanding, it's just that often they are interpreted by a bias so strong it makes continental philosophy seem to be on the same level of idiocy as Michael Tsarion.

ROFL.
I'm not back. This idiot just upset me which made me stop lurking.
GeoLaureate8
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/20/2011 6:07:26 AM
At 1/19/2011 10:05:49 PM, J.Kenyon wrote:

And this.

No. Read what I wrote afterwords:

GeoLaureate8 wrote:
I don't think this question is about biological specification or classification, but rather does man, in the ontological sense, exist.
-- Murray Rothbard

-- Frederic Bastiat
timbeech
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/22/2011 3:18:02 PM
The answer depends on what philosopher(s) you give more credence to.

For example, followers of Hume would most likely say Man does exist but that nothing can be added to the notion of Man to change that existence.

Followers of Kant would say there is no real predicate of existence. In response to Kant, Brentano argues that there is a predicate nature of existence.

Reference: http://en.wikipedia.org...

As you move further in history we get to German Idealism which is the front end of continental philosophy. He would argue that man does not exist but can exist.

http://www.voegelinview.com...
rarugged
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/23/2011 1:53:21 PM
Man is a word coined by human beings to be synonymous to the former.

If Man doesn't exist, that means humans don't exist, if they existed in the first place, according to the definition, which makes no utter sense.
If Jesus came back tomorrow, a cross would be the last thing he would want to see.
SuperRobotWars
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/23/2011 1:56:52 PM
* * * do women exist * * *
Minister Of Trolling
:
timbeech
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/23/2011 1:57:42 PM
At 1/23/2011 1:53:21 PM, rarugged wrote:
Man is a word coined by human beings to be synonymous to the former.

If Man doesn't exist, that means humans don't exist, if they existed in the first place, according to the definition, which makes no utter sense.

Yeah so "makes no utter sense" would mean that it does make sense. I am confused by your first part.
rarugged
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/23/2011 1:58:37 PM
At 1/23/2011 1:56:52 PM, SuperRobotWars wrote:
* * * do women exist * * *

Because it's fact that women exist to serve men, if the latter was non-existent, the former must be.

Therefore, we're back to the original question.

I kid.
If Jesus came back tomorrow, a cross would be the last thing he would want to see.