Total Posts:61|Showing Posts:1-30|Last Page
Jump to topic:

God doesn't exist + Suicide

Perussi
Posts: 756
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/14/2016 6:11:16 PM
Posted: 3 weeks ago
Assuming god doesn't exist and when you die you will cease to exist and will never be able to sense, feel, or think again ever would you commit suicide if your life really, really sucks and will not get better. REALLY sucks.

I wouldn't because i think not existing would suck more than life really, reqlly sucking.

Your opinions?
Forum Record: 6/0

Funny Quotes:

"i worship satan and allahu akbar and hispanic muslims i am an illigal immigrant"
-communist_snake-

"What fuking dates are you talking about child. the and ridiculous and stay out of mummies drugs, you're fuked."
-I'll keep this anonymous...-

"fuk off bog, no one even reads your crap, what price is you hooker now?"
-same dude as above....-
philochristos
Posts: 2,614
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/14/2016 11:26:49 PM
Posted: 2 weeks ago
My dread of more suffering would have to be greater than my fear of dying before I'd do it. I don't think not existing would suck at all. But the prospect of not existing sucks a little.
"Not to know of what things one should demand demonstration, and of what one should not, argues want of education." ~Aristotle

"It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it." ~Aristotle
illegalcombat
Posts: 632
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/15/2016 5:54:55 AM
Posted: 2 weeks ago
At 11/14/2016 6:11:16 PM, Perussi wrote:
Assuming god doesn't exist and when you die you will cease to exist and will never be able to sense, feel, or think again ever would you commit suicide if your life really, really sucks and will not get better. REALLY sucks.

I wouldn't because i think not existing would suck more than life really, reqlly sucking.

Your opinions?

God isn't a variable in that equation.

It makes as much sense as, assuming unicorns don't exist........
Perussi
Posts: 756
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/15/2016 12:08:17 PM
Posted: 2 weeks ago
At 11/15/2016 5:54:55 AM, illegalcombat wrote:
At 11/14/2016 6:11:16 PM, Perussi wrote:
Assuming god doesn't exist and when you die you will cease to exist and will never be able to sense, feel, or think again ever would you commit suicide if your life really, really sucks and will not get better. REALLY sucks.

I wouldn't because i think not existing would suck more than life really, reqlly sucking.

Your opinions?

God isn't a variable in that equation.

It makes as much sense as, assuming unicorns don't exist........

I ask would you commit suicide given that one, god does not exist. And two, your life sucks. In this scenario what would you do?
Forum Record: 6/0

Funny Quotes:

"i worship satan and allahu akbar and hispanic muslims i am an illigal immigrant"
-communist_snake-

"What fuking dates are you talking about child. the and ridiculous and stay out of mummies drugs, you're fuked."
-I'll keep this anonymous...-

"fuk off bog, no one even reads your crap, what price is you hooker now?"
-same dude as above....-
illegalcombat
Posts: 632
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/15/2016 2:36:09 PM
Posted: 2 weeks ago
At 11/15/2016 12:08:17 PM, Perussi wrote:
At 11/15/2016 5:54:55 AM, illegalcombat wrote:
At 11/14/2016 6:11:16 PM, Perussi wrote:
Assuming god doesn't exist and when you die you will cease to exist and will never be able to sense, feel, or think again ever would you commit suicide if your life really, really sucks and will not get better. REALLY sucks.

I wouldn't because i think not existing would suck more than life really, reqlly sucking.

Your opinions?

God isn't a variable in that equation.

It makes as much sense as, assuming unicorns don't exist........

I ask would you commit suicide given that one, god does not exist. And two, your life sucks. In this scenario what would you do?

And why is God any where near this equation ?

Oh look, my life sucks, I view it as not worth it, nor do I think the chances are good it will improve enough to make it worthwhile, I was going to end it all, but since I believe in an invisible man who exists outside the universe, well that just changes everything.............
Devilry
Posts: 452
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/15/2016 2:45:34 PM
Posted: 2 weeks ago
My life is good and I'd nearly commit suicide, let alone if it sucked. It's hard to conceive of a loss going from existence into nonexistence. I feel like I'm just going on out of habit, sometimes.
: : : At 11/15/2016 6:22:17 PM, Greyparrot wrote:
: That's not racism. Thats economics.
Devilry
Posts: 452
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/15/2016 2:50:50 PM
Posted: 2 weeks ago
At 11/15/2016 5:54:55 AM, illegalcombat wrote:
At 11/14/2016 6:11:16 PM, Perussi wrote:
Assuming god doesn't exist and when you die you will cease to exist and will never be able to sense, feel, or think again ever would you commit suicide if your life really, really sucks and will not get better. REALLY sucks.

I wouldn't because i think not existing would suck more than life really, reqlly sucking.

Your opinions?

God isn't a variable in that equation.

It makes as much sense as, assuming unicorns don't exist........

You're wrong, actually. It's fear of freedom. Our actions are all that we have; we fret as to why.

God, heaven, hell - these things are actually significant.
: : : At 11/15/2016 6:22:17 PM, Greyparrot wrote:
: That's not racism. Thats economics.
illegalcombat
Posts: 632
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/15/2016 2:57:11 PM
Posted: 2 weeks ago
At 11/15/2016 2:45:34 PM, Devilry wrote:
My life is good and I'd nearly commit suicide, let alone if it sucked. It's hard to conceive of a loss going from existence into nonexistence. I feel like I'm just going on out of habit, sometimes.

But you see that isn't really making a choice, as you say it's more of a habit thing.

Being alive doesn't equal you choose to live.
illegalcombat
Posts: 632
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/15/2016 2:57:11 PM
Posted: 2 weeks ago
At 11/15/2016 2:45:34 PM, Devilry wrote:
My life is good and I'd nearly commit suicide, let alone if it sucked. It's hard to conceive of a loss going from existence into nonexistence. I feel like I'm just going on out of habit, sometimes.

But you see that isn't really making a choice, as you say it's more of a habit thing.

Being alive doesn't equal you choose to live.
Devilry
Posts: 452
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/15/2016 3:00:19 PM
Posted: 2 weeks ago
At 11/15/2016 2:57:11 PM, illegalcombat wrote:
At 11/15/2016 2:45:34 PM, Devilry wrote:
My life is good and I'd nearly commit suicide, let alone if it sucked. It's hard to conceive of a loss going from existence into nonexistence. I feel like I'm just going on out of habit, sometimes.

But you see that isn't really making a choice, as you say it's more of a habit thing.

Being alive doesn't equal you choose to live.

Alright, but that's a whole other kettle of fish dude.
: : : At 11/15/2016 6:22:17 PM, Greyparrot wrote:
: That's not racism. Thats economics.
Devilry
Posts: 452
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/15/2016 3:00:52 PM
Posted: 2 weeks ago
Oh, I guess I brought up free will with my previous post. :D
: : : At 11/15/2016 6:22:17 PM, Greyparrot wrote:
: That's not racism. Thats economics.
Devilry
Posts: 452
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/15/2016 3:02:55 PM
Posted: 2 weeks ago
"Death must be so beautiful. To lie in the soft brown earth, with the grasses waving above one's head, and listen to silence. To have no yesterday, and no tomorrow. To forget time, to forgive life, to be at peace."

-- Oscar Wilde
: : : At 11/15/2016 6:22:17 PM, Greyparrot wrote:
: That's not racism. Thats economics.
Perussi
Posts: 756
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/16/2016 3:12:36 AM
Posted: 2 weeks ago
At 11/15/2016 2:36:09 PM, illegalcombat wrote:
At 11/15/2016 12:08:17 PM, Perussi wrote:
At 11/15/2016 5:54:55 AM, illegalcombat wrote:
At 11/14/2016 6:11:16 PM, Perussi wrote:
Assuming god doesn't exist and when you die you will cease to exist and will never be able to sense, feel, or think again ever would you commit suicide if your life really, really sucks and will not get better. REALLY sucks.

I wouldn't because i think not existing would suck more than life really, reqlly sucking.

Your opinions?

God isn't a variable in that equation.

It makes as much sense as, assuming unicorns don't exist........

I ask would you commit suicide given that one, god does not exist. And two, your life sucks. In this scenario what would you do?

And why is God any where near this equation ?

Oh look, my life sucks, I view it as not worth it, nor do I think the chances are good it will improve enough to make it worthwhile, I was going to end it all, but since I believe in an invisible man who exists outside the universe, well that just changes everything.............

Yes, yes it does. Especially because it is against a commandment for christians. Just an example of how a religion would affect this. Nobody wants to hear the reason someone wouldn't commit suicide is because it is against their faith. This is philosophy. This has to be interesting and you have to learn something. Stop questioning me. I will reck everything you throw at me.
Forum Record: 6/0

Funny Quotes:

"i worship satan and allahu akbar and hispanic muslims i am an illigal immigrant"
-communist_snake-

"What fuking dates are you talking about child. the and ridiculous and stay out of mummies drugs, you're fuked."
-I'll keep this anonymous...-

"fuk off bog, no one even reads your crap, what price is you hooker now?"
-same dude as above....-
illegalcombat
Posts: 632
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/16/2016 7:08:04 AM
Posted: 2 weeks ago
At 11/16/2016 3:12:36 AM, Perussi wrote:
At 11/15/2016 2:36:09 PM, illegalcombat wrote:
At 11/15/2016 12:08:17 PM, Perussi wrote:
At 11/15/2016 5:54:55 AM, illegalcombat wrote:
At 11/14/2016 6:11:16 PM, Perussi wrote:
Assuming god doesn't exist and when you die you will cease to exist and will never be able to sense, feel, or think again ever would you commit suicide if your life really, really sucks and will not get better. REALLY sucks.

I wouldn't because i think not existing would suck more than life really, reqlly sucking.

Your opinions?

God isn't a variable in that equation.

It makes as much sense as, assuming unicorns don't exist........

I ask would you commit suicide given that one, god does not exist. And two, your life sucks. In this scenario what would you do?

And why is God any where near this equation ?

Oh look, my life sucks, I view it as not worth it, nor do I think the chances are good it will improve enough to make it worthwhile, I was going to end it all, but since I believe in an invisible man who exists outside the universe, well that just changes everything.............

Yes, yes it does. Especially because it is against a commandment for christians.

Just an example of how a religion would affect this. Nobody wants to hear the reason someone wouldn't commit suicide is because it is against their faith. This is philosophy. This has to be interesting and you have to learn something. Stop questioning me. I will reck everything you throw at me.

To answer your question, sure, if I believed that my life wasn't worth it, plus the chances of a better life are not good enough, then sure, bring on the suicide.

I don't exist just to be another cog in the wheel................
skipsaweirdo
Posts: 1,864
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/16/2016 6:49:56 PM
Posted: 2 weeks ago
At 11/14/2016 6:11:16 PM, Perussi wrote:
Assuming god doesn't exist and when you die you will cease to exist and will never be able to sense, feel, or think again ever would you commit suicide if your life really, really sucks and will not get better. REALLY sucks.

I wouldn't because i think not existing would suck more than life really, reqlly sucking.
My opinion is you sure don't seem to recognize how laughable it is to attach adjectives to nothing, I.e. not existing would suck. No it actually wouldn't, it wouldnt be anything

Your opinions?
Quadrunner
Posts: 1,082
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/16/2016 10:20:23 PM
Posted: 2 weeks ago
At 11/14/2016 6:11:16 PM, Perussi wrote:
Assuming god doesn't exist and when you die you will cease to exist and will never be able to sense, feel, or think again ever would you commit suicide if your life really, really sucks and will not get better. REALLY sucks.

I wouldn't because i think not existing would suck more than life really, reqlly sucking.

Your opinions?

I don't fear dying personally. I actually get a thrill, and a certain kind of clarity, peace, and perspective when I've come close to it so I think I'm missing something kind of important there, but whatever.

I would never kill myself, because I learned that even if you don't know it, someone is always watching, and someone might love you. Killing myself would be selfish, and I couldn't live with that.
Wisdom is found where the wise seek it.
Perussi
Posts: 756
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/16/2016 10:30:19 PM
Posted: 2 weeks ago
At 11/16/2016 7:08:04 AM, illegalcombat wrote:
At 11/16/2016 3:12:36 AM, Perussi wrote:
At 11/15/2016 2:36:09 PM, illegalcombat wrote:
At 11/15/2016 12:08:17 PM, Perussi wrote:
At 11/15/2016 5:54:55 AM, illegalcombat wrote:
At 11/14/2016 6:11:16 PM, Perussi wrote:
Assuming god doesn't exist and when you die you will cease to exist and will never be able to sense, feel, or think again ever would you commit suicide if your life really, really sucks and will not get better. REALLY sucks.

I wouldn't because i think not existing would suck more than life really, reqlly sucking.

Your opinions?

God isn't a variable in that equation.

It makes as much sense as, assuming unicorns don't exist........

I ask would you commit suicide given that one, god does not exist. And two, your life sucks. In this scenario what would you do?

And why is God any where near this equation ?

Oh look, my life sucks, I view it as not worth it, nor do I think the chances are good it will improve enough to make it worthwhile, I was going to end it all, but since I believe in an invisible man who exists outside the universe, well that just changes everything.............

Yes, yes it does. Especially because it is against a commandment for christians.

Just an example of how a religion would affect this. Nobody wants to hear the reason someone wouldn't commit suicide is because it is against their faith. This is philosophy. This has to be interesting and you have to learn something. Stop questioning me. I will reck everything you throw at me.

To answer your question, sure, if I believed that my life wasn't worth it, plus the chances of a better life are not good enough, then sure, bring on the suicide.

I don't exist just to be another cog in the wheel................

Technically we are all cogs in the wheel...
But it is up to us to make this absolutely glorious.

Quote on my profile:
"To live is the rarest thing in the world, most people just exist."
Forum Record: 6/0

Funny Quotes:

"i worship satan and allahu akbar and hispanic muslims i am an illigal immigrant"
-communist_snake-

"What fuking dates are you talking about child. the and ridiculous and stay out of mummies drugs, you're fuked."
-I'll keep this anonymous...-

"fuk off bog, no one even reads your crap, what price is you hooker now?"
-same dude as above....-
Perussi
Posts: 756
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/16/2016 10:31:27 PM
Posted: 2 weeks ago
At 11/16/2016 6:49:56 PM, skipsaweirdo wrote:
At 11/14/2016 6:11:16 PM, Perussi wrote:
Assuming god doesn't exist and when you die you will cease to exist and will never be able to sense, feel, or think again ever would you commit suicide if your life really, really sucks and will not get better. REALLY sucks.

I wouldn't because i think not existing would suck more than life really, reqlly sucking.
My opinion is you sure don't seem to recognize how laughable it is to attach adjectives to nothing, I.e. not existing would suck. No it actually wouldn't, it wouldnt be anything

Which kinda sucks when you consider it.

Your opinions?
Forum Record: 6/0

Funny Quotes:

"i worship satan and allahu akbar and hispanic muslims i am an illigal immigrant"
-communist_snake-

"What fuking dates are you talking about child. the and ridiculous and stay out of mummies drugs, you're fuked."
-I'll keep this anonymous...-

"fuk off bog, no one even reads your crap, what price is you hooker now?"
-same dude as above....-
KwLm
Posts: 480
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/18/2016 8:28:35 PM
Posted: 2 weeks ago
At 11/14/2016 6:11:16 PM, Perussi wrote:
Assuming god doesn't exist and when you die you will cease to exist and will never be able to sense, feel, or think again ever would you commit suicide if your life really, really sucks and will not get better. REALLY sucks.

I wouldn't because i think not existing would suck more than life really, reqlly sucking.

Your opinions?

Suicide is a permanent solution to a temporary problem, There's no such thing as "not getting better" when it comes to this, either a person takes control of their life, and makes things better or fall into a pit of depression because they can't see a way of making things better and choose to stay in that way. The reality is, when a person dies, religious or not, there is no coming back from death after a certain time, (not referring to : near death experiences https://en.wikipedia.org...) .

In conclusion I agree with your own opinion, not being alive would suck more than being alive and life itself sucking.
Philosophy101
Posts: 122
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/19/2016 1:35:18 AM
Posted: 2 weeks ago
At 11/14/2016 6:11:16 PM, Perussi wrote:
Assuming god doesn't exist and when you die you will cease to exist and will never be able to sense, feel, or think again ever would you commit suicide if your life really, really sucks and will not get better. REALLY sucks.

I wouldn't because i think not existing would suck more than life really, reqlly sucking.

Your opinions?

Well, I haven't yet; but that aside: I think it is pointless to consider life beyond the prospect of death if that death ends all existence. On the other hand only our life would matter; so we can only wrestle with is life worth living. Face it on this conception we will stop existing eventually, what does it matter if our life ends now or thirty years? I think a rational suicide would only consider the possible life happiness minus the possible unhappiness and factor in the probabilities of those functions with the natural good that existing entails. If the equation comes out likely to be positive your good. If the equation comes out negative, then the rational thing to do would be to commit suicide. Not that I am condoning suicide.
mrsatan
Posts: 418
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/24/2016 4:10:22 PM
Posted: 1 week ago
At 11/14/2016 6:11:16 PM, Perussi wrote:
Assuming god doesn't exist and when you die you will cease to exist and will never be able to sense, feel, or think again ever would you commit suicide if your life really, really sucks and will not get better. REALLY sucks.

I wouldn't because i think not existing would suck more than life really, reqlly sucking.

Your opinions?

In what way would not existing suck?

The prospect of not existing could be enticing. It's a question of balance. Are the negatives in life balanced out by the positives, or are they so bad that the positives don't move the scale at all?

Anyone would commit suicide if their life was bad enough. Of course, bad enough for one person isn't necessarily bad enough for another.
To say one has free will, to have chosen other than they did, is to say they have will over their will... Will over the will they have over their will... Will over the will they have over the will they have over their will, etc... It's utter nonsense.
David_Debates
Posts: 244
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/24/2016 5:57:24 PM
Posted: 1 week ago
At 11/14/2016 6:11:16 PM, Perussi wrote:
Assuming god doesn't exist and when you die you will cease to exist and will never be able to sense, feel, or think again ever would you commit suicide if your life really, really sucks and will not get better. REALLY sucks.

I wouldn't because i think not existing would suck more than life really, reqlly sucking.

Your opinions?

Philosophy without the pre-notion of God means one is setting course for nihilism. As absurd as nihilism is, it is no less absurd than humanism without a God.
Seeing that we have nihilism as our moral compass, there would be no moral consequence for suicide. I wouldn't do it (because I like to live), but I'm sure many others would.
Perussi
Posts: 756
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/25/2016 3:13:37 AM
Posted: 1 week ago
At 11/24/2016 5:57:24 PM, David_Debates wrote:
At 11/14/2016 6:11:16 PM, Perussi wrote:
Assuming god doesn't exist and when you die you will cease to exist and will never be able to sense, feel, or think again ever would you commit suicide if your life really, really sucks and will not get better. REALLY sucks.

I wouldn't because i think not existing would suck more than life really, reqlly sucking.

Your opinions?

Philosophy without the pre-notion of God means one is setting course for nihilism. As absurd as nihilism is, it is no less absurd than humanism without a God.
Seeing that we have nihilism as our moral compass, there would be no moral consequence for suicide. I wouldn't do it (because I like to live), but I'm sure many others would.

Actually nihilism is completely logical assuming there is no god.
Forum Record: 6/0

Funny Quotes:

"i worship satan and allahu akbar and hispanic muslims i am an illigal immigrant"
-communist_snake-

"What fuking dates are you talking about child. the and ridiculous and stay out of mummies drugs, you're fuked."
-I'll keep this anonymous...-

"fuk off bog, no one even reads your crap, what price is you hooker now?"
-same dude as above....-
Philosophy101
Posts: 122
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/25/2016 4:05:36 AM
Posted: 1 week ago
At 11/24/2016 5:57:24 PM, David_Debates wrote:
At 11/14/2016 6:11:16 PM, Perussi wrote:
Assuming god doesn't exist and when you die you will cease to exist and will never be able to sense, feel, or think again ever would you commit suicide if your life really, really sucks and will not get better. REALLY sucks.

I wouldn't because i think not existing would suck more than life really, reqlly sucking.

Your opinions?

Philosophy without the pre-notion of God means one is setting course for nihilism. As absurd as nihilism is, it is no less absurd than humanism without a God.
Seeing that we have nihilism as our moral compass, there would be no moral consequence for suicide. I wouldn't do it (because I like to live), but I'm sure many others would.

Not believing in God does not mean a person has no belief system. For instance a Buddhist believes in Karma and reincarnation. Even atheists generally have belief systems; they are just don't recognize traditional belief systems as a priori to having a personalized belief systems.
David_Debates
Posts: 244
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/25/2016 7:26:37 PM
Posted: 1 week ago
At 11/25/2016 3:13:37 AM, Perussi wrote:
At 11/24/2016 5:57:24 PM, David_Debates wrote:
At 11/14/2016 6:11:16 PM, Perussi wrote:
Assuming god doesn't exist and when you die you will cease to exist and will never be able to sense, feel, or think again ever would you commit suicide if your life really, really sucks and will not get better. REALLY sucks.

I wouldn't because i think not existing would suck more than life really, reqlly sucking.

Your opinions?

Philosophy without the pre-notion of God means one is setting course for nihilism. As absurd as nihilism is, it is no less absurd than humanism without a God.
Seeing that we have nihilism as our moral compass, there would be no moral consequence for suicide. I wouldn't do it (because I like to live), but I'm sure many others would.

Actually nihilism is completely logical assuming there is no god.

That's my point exactly. Without the presumption of God in philosophy, the only logical alternative is nihilism.
David_Debates
Posts: 244
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/25/2016 7:29:18 PM
Posted: 1 week ago
At 11/25/2016 4:05:36 AM, Philosophy101 wrote:
At 11/24/2016 5:57:24 PM, David_Debates wrote:
At 11/14/2016 6:11:16 PM, Perussi wrote:
Assuming god doesn't exist and when you die you will cease to exist and will never be able to sense, feel, or think again ever would you commit suicide if your life really, really sucks and will not get better. REALLY sucks.

I wouldn't because i think not existing would suck more than life really, reqlly sucking.

Your opinions?

Philosophy without the pre-notion of God means one is setting course for nihilism. As absurd as nihilism is, it is no less absurd than humanism without a God.
Seeing that we have nihilism as our moral compass, there would be no moral consequence for suicide. I wouldn't do it (because I like to live), but I'm sure many others would.

Not believing in God does not mean a person has no belief system. For instance a Buddhist believes in Karma and reincarnation. Even atheists generally have belief systems; they are just don't recognize traditional belief systems as a priori to having a personalized belief systems.

I'm not saying that. What I am saying is that if one denies existence of a creator, a God of any kind, the only logical conclusion is nihilism. Buddhists at least agree that that there is a creator.
Philosophy101
Posts: 122
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/26/2016 12:39:14 AM
Posted: 1 week ago
At 11/25/2016 7:29:18 PM, David_Debates wrote:
At 11/25/2016 4:05:36 AM, Philosophy101 wrote:
At 11/24/2016 5:57:24 PM, David_Debates wrote:
At 11/14/2016 6:11:16 PM, Perussi wrote:
Assuming god doesn't exist and when you die you will cease to exist and will never be able to sense, feel, or think again ever would you commit suicide if your life really, really sucks and will not get better. REALLY sucks.

I wouldn't because i think not existing would suck more than life really, reqlly sucking.

Your opinions?

Philosophy without the pre-notion of God means one is setting course for nihilism. As absurd as nihilism is, it is no less absurd than humanism without a God.
Seeing that we have nihilism as our moral compass, there would be no moral consequence for suicide. I wouldn't do it (because I like to live), but I'm sure many others would.

Not believing in God does not mean a person has no belief system. For instance a Buddhist believes in Karma and reincarnation. Even atheists generally have belief systems; they are just don't recognize traditional belief systems as a priori to having a personalized belief systems.

I'm not saying that. What I am saying is that if one denies existence of a creator, a God of any kind, the only logical conclusion is nihilism. Buddhists at least agree that that there is a creator.

Buddhists do not believe in a creator, but merely the acceptance of unbounded time. Denying the existence of a God does not entail nihilism; nihilism is a nonbelief system. For instance, an athiest could believe it is wrong to kill somebody on the idea in is infringing on their rights as human beings. With no god(s) a person is free to their own beliefs or perhaps the existence of none. Thus while nihilism is one possibility it is in no way a necessary condition of aithiesm.
David_Debates
Posts: 244
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/26/2016 12:58:09 AM
Posted: 1 week ago
At 11/26/2016 12:39:14 AM, Philosophy101 wrote:
At 11/25/2016 7:29:18 PM, David_Debates wrote:
At 11/25/2016 4:05:36 AM, Philosophy101 wrote:
At 11/24/2016 5:57:24 PM, David_Debates wrote:
At 11/14/2016 6:11:16 PM, Perussi wrote:
Assuming god doesn't exist and when you die you will cease to exist and will never be able to sense, feel, or think again ever would you commit suicide if your life really, really sucks and will not get better. REALLY sucks.

I wouldn't because i think not existing would suck more than life really, reqlly sucking.

Your opinions?

Philosophy without the pre-notion of God means one is setting course for nihilism. As absurd as nihilism is, it is no less absurd than humanism without a God.
Seeing that we have nihilism as our moral compass, there would be no moral consequence for suicide. I wouldn't do it (because I like to live), but I'm sure many others would.

Not believing in God does not mean a person has no belief system. For instance a Buddhist believes in Karma and reincarnation. Even atheists generally have belief systems; they are just don't recognize traditional belief systems as a priori to having a personalized belief systems.

I'm not saying that. What I am saying is that if one denies existence of a creator, a God of any kind, the only logical conclusion is nihilism. Buddhists at least agree that that there is a creator.

Buddhists do not believe in a creator, but merely the acceptance of unbounded time.

Excuse me, I misspoke.

Denying the existence of a God does not entail nihilism; nihilism is a nonbelief system.

Nihilism is a conclusion on the non-metal realm, specifically, that it does not exist. That this is the only world we are given. This is a nessesary conclusion if one denies the existence of a non-physical creator.

For instance, an athiest could believe it is wrong to kill somebody on the idea in is infringing on their rights as human beings. With no god(s) a person is free to their own beliefs or perhaps the existence of none.

This is why my answer to the original quesiton was that I would not kill myself, as my personal beliefs in that situation would prevent me from doing so. However, in the hypothetical where there is no God, there would be no moral consequence from me doing so, as morals cannot exist.

Thus while nihilism is one possibility it is in no way a necessary condition of aithiesm.

Nihilism is the only logical conclusion, however. I'll explain.

1) If God does not exist, there is no absolute truth.
2) If there is no absolute truth, then there are no morals (as morals must apply to everyone).
3) If there are no morals, one must accept nihilism (the rejection of morals).
4) (The presumption of this forum thread) God does not exist.
5) Thus, one must accept nihilism.

A breakdown of my argument using variables.
1) If A, then B.
2) If B, then C.
3) If C, then D.
4) A.
5) Therefore, D.
Philosophy101
Posts: 122
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/26/2016 1:46:16 AM
Posted: 1 week ago
At 11/26/2016 12:58:09 AM, David_Debates wrote:
At 11/26/2016 12:39:14 AM, Philosophy101 wrote:
At 11/25/2016 7:29:18 PM, David_Debates wrote:
At 11/25/2016 4:05:36 AM, Philosophy101 wrote:
At 11/24/2016 5:57:24 PM, David_Debates wrote:
At 11/14/2016 6:11:16 PM, Perussi wrote:
Assuming god doesn't exist and when you die you will cease to exist and will never be able to sense, feel, or think again ever would you commit suicide if your life really, really sucks and will not get better. REALLY sucks.

I wouldn't because i think not existing would suck more than life really, reqlly sucking.

Your opinions?

Philosophy without the pre-notion of God means one is setting course for nihilism. As absurd as nihilism is, it is no less absurd than humanism without a God.
Seeing that we have nihilism as our moral compass, there would be no moral consequence for suicide. I wouldn't do it (because I like to live), but I'm sure many others would.

Not believing in God does not mean a person has no belief system. For instance a Buddhist believes in Karma and reincarnation. Even atheists generally have belief systems; they are just don't recognize traditional belief systems as a priori to having a personalized belief systems.

I'm not saying that. What I am saying is that if one denies existence of a creator, a God of any kind, the only logical conclusion is nihilism. Buddhists at least agree that that there is a creator.

Buddhists do not believe in a creator, but merely the acceptance of unbounded time.

Excuse me, I misspoke.

It's an important distinction.

Denying the existence of a God does not entail nihilism; nihilism is a nonbelief system.

Nihilism is a conclusion on the non-metal realm, specifically, that it does not exist. That this is the only world we are given. This is a nessesary conclusion if one denies the existence of a non-physical creator.

You seem to be equivocating true nihilism (the lack of moral belief) with materialism (the belief in purely physical systems). Materialism does not necessarily engender the notion that one cannot behave badly; perhaps in a deterministic sense it absolves us of reponsibilty but the connection between the two lacks indication and appears faulty at best.

For instance, an athiest could believe it is wrong to kill somebody on the idea in is infringing on their rights as human beings. With no god(s) a person is free to their own beliefs or perhaps the existence of none.

This is why my answer to the original quesiton was that I would not kill myself, as my personal beliefs in that situation would prevent me from doing so. However, in the hypothetical where there is no God, there would be no moral consequence from me doing so, as morals cannot exist.

Why do you have to have God to tell you murder is wrong. Do you not kill people because you want a place in the stars or because it takes the existence of another being's life? I don't need God to tell me it's wrong; simple compassion can reveal that secret.

Thus while nihilism is one possibility it is in no way a necessary condition of aithiesm.

Nihilism is the only logical conclusion, however. I'll explain.

1) If God does not exist, there is no absolute truth.
2) If there is no absolute truth, then there are no morals (as morals must apply to everyone).
3) If there are no morals, one must accept nihilism (the rejection of morals).
4) (The presumption of this forum thread) God does not exist.
5) Thus, one must accept nihilism.

A breakdown of my argument using variables.
1) If A, then B.
2) If B, then C.
3) If C, then D.
4) A.
5) Therefore, D.

There is absolute truth--You see these words. That's absolute; where does God appear in those words? So Absolute truth is not a sufficient condition of God. As for the necessary conition of if there is God there is absolute truth, in fact one can think of systems--purely materialistic that engender absolute truth--for instance electrons are negative. If this is an absolute truth either it is the work of God or God is not a necessary for absolute truth.
A then -B
B then A (if I remember my logic).

So we have established moral truths via negation of first premises. However I can escape between the horns as well; there is moral relativism which simply states we have something to show for morals, they just don't apply in every time and place; moral relativism is much more complex than absolutism (and in my opinion superior). As a side note relativism must include claims, they are just motivated by other claims.

If there are no morals one can create morals.

The conclusion seems on trembling ground at best.
Quadrunner
Posts: 1,082
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/26/2016 10:38:41 AM
Posted: 1 week ago
At 11/14/2016 6:11:16 PM, Perussi wrote:
Assuming god doesn't exist and when you die you will cease to exist and will never be able to sense, feel, or think again ever would you commit suicide if your life really, really sucks and will not get better. REALLY sucks.

I wouldn't because i think not existing would suck more than life really, reqlly sucking.

Your opinions?

I put forward the question why we try at all if the entirety of our life amounts to nothing, followed by nothing of our children and grandchildren, in all likelihood leading up to a dead end of pure nothingness. This sustained will to live we have, what is the point if not to attempt to defy the inevitable in a well lived fvck you to nature.

One idea I do live by, is that what I will be lived in others in life and death. I live for others as well as myself as part of something larger then myself.
Wisdom is found where the wise seek it.