Jump to topic:

Fear Does More Good Than Harm

Qynze
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/20/2011 7:28:59 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
This is a public debate that everyone can participate in. Choose either side. Switch at any time. This goes on forever, as long as everyone keeps posting (AKA indefinite time period).

I'm hoping to pick up some interesting ideas from these responses. I've meditated over fear for quite a while, it'd be nice to hear your opinion(s).
Charlie Eppes: Are you thinking what I'm thinking?
Colby Granger: Uhhh... no.
----------
NUMB3RS
PARADIGM_L0ST
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/20/2011 7:34:18 PM
At 1/20/2011 7:28:59 PM, Qynze wrote:
This is a public debate that everyone can participate in. Choose either side. Switch at any time. This goes on forever, as long as everyone keeps posting (AKA indefinite time period).

I'm hoping to pick up some interesting ideas from these responses. I've meditated over fear for quite a while, it'd be nice to hear your opinion(s).:

Depends on the circumstances. Fear can be a positive thing, and fear can have negative consequences too. There's no one-size-fits-all to fear.
"Have you ever considered suicide? If not, please do." -- Mouthwash (to Inferno)
CosmicAlfonzo
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/20/2011 7:38:12 PM
Fear is for pooooossies.

I'll go on the pro side.
Official "High Priest of Secular Affairs and Transient Distributor of Sonic Apple Seeds relating to the Reptilian Division of Paperwork Immoliation" of The FREEDO Bureaucracy, a DDO branch of the Erisian Front, a subdivision of the Discordian Back, a Limb of the Illuminatian Cosmic Utensil Corp
gavin.ogden
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/20/2011 7:49:30 PM
At 1/20/2011 7:39:01 PM, darkkermit wrote:
fear stops me from doing actions that can get me killed!!!

Fear is awesome!

Fear is a natural response that can be positive or negative depending on the circumstance, and the frame of mind of the individual.
CosmicAlfonzo
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/20/2011 8:04:05 PM
You're only saying that because you're a scared POOOOOOOOOOOOOSIE.

Admit it.

Fear is not manly, unless you overcome your fear with courage. Then it is hair on the balls manly.
Official "High Priest of Secular Affairs and Transient Distributor of Sonic Apple Seeds relating to the Reptilian Division of Paperwork Immoliation" of The FREEDO Bureaucracy, a DDO branch of the Erisian Front, a subdivision of the Discordian Back, a Limb of the Illuminatian Cosmic Utensil Corp
Qynze
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/20/2011 8:40:34 PM
At 1/20/2011 7:34:18 PM, PARADIGM_L0ST wrote:

I'm hoping to pick up some interesting ideas from these responses. I've meditated over fear for quite a while, it'd be nice to hear your opinion(s).:

Depends on the circumstances. Fear can be a positive thing, and fear can have negative consequences too. There's no one-size-fits-all to fear.

Well, it depends if you consider fear and caution to be two different things.
----------
NUMB3RS
Qynze
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/20/2011 8:41:42 PM
On second thought, I'll be both and make random comments.
----------
NUMB3RS
Qynze
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/20/2011 8:42:08 PM
At 1/20/2011 7:50:26 PM, Sieben wrote:
Worst debate topic ever.

Why?
----------
NUMB3RS
Qynze
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/20/2011 8:44:13 PM
At 1/20/2011 8:04:05 PM, CosmicAlfonzo wrote:
You're only saying that because you're a scared POOOOOOOOOOOOOSIE.

I am not specifically taking a stand, yet.

Admit it.

Nope.

Fear is not manly, unless you overcome your fear with courage. Then it is hair on the balls manly.

If fear is caution, and caution is fear, than without fear you might have jumped off a cliff a long time ago.
----------
NUMB3RS
PARADIGM_L0ST
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/20/2011 8:48:58 PM

Well, it depends if you consider fear and caution to be two different things.:

Fear keeps us safe sometimes from harm... and at other times, fear can be so overwhelmingly paralyzing (and irrational; like phobias) that it's a destructive force.

It can be both, dependent upon the circumstances. I don't know how much clearer I can be.
"Have you ever considered suicide? If not, please do." -- Mouthwash (to Inferno)
annhasle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/20/2011 8:52:10 PM
Fear creates caution but caution is not fear. I believe the two to be quite distinct.
I'm not back. This idiot just upset me which made me stop lurking.
GodSands
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/20/2011 9:16:26 PM
There the fear that warns us that we should be careful and then there is a fear where we are fearful because we cannot do nothing to control the situation.

The fear that warns us, keeps us on our feet. The fear which we can do nothing about is an internal fear, that comes from within.

Examples; climbing can be a fearful thing, but we have control over ourselves, the fear of falling and dying is real. So the fear here is an external fear. When climbing, you are safe, but the fact that you could fall is only a possibility, that possibility is a fearful thing, it hasn't happened so it is external.

The fear which we can do nothing about is internal, it is taking place and present. Falling and knowing you will die is internal because the possibility that you will die have become true. You have no longer control over your body and therefore no more warning, since a warning is there to let us know something could happen if we do something wrong. But in this situation of falling we have already entered into a fear that we can no longer control. Therefore the fear is internal and you can not longer prevent the fear from over powering you, unlike an external fear.

Make sense anyone?
tigg13
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/20/2011 9:24:22 PM

I'm hoping to pick up some interesting ideas from these responses. I've meditated over fear for quite a while, it'd be nice to hear your opinion(s).

Fear, as an internal mechanism for safety and self preservation, is a very good thing.

It's when other people start using fear to control you that it becomes a very bad thing. In this sense, fear has done much more harm than good.
CosmicAlfonzo
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/21/2011 5:29:18 PM
At 1/20/2011 8:44:13 PM, Qynze wrote:
If fear is caution, and caution is fear, than without fear you might have jumped off a cliff a long time ago.

Jumping off cliffs is manly.
Qynze
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/21/2011 8:01:47 PM
At 1/21/2011 5:29:18 PM, CosmicAlfonzo wrote:
At 1/20/2011 8:44:13 PM, Qynze wrote:

Jumping off cliffs is manly.

Manly, indeed - and killing.
----------
NUMB3RS
Truth_seeker
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/24/2014 8:10:55 AM
Posted: 2 years ago
F ear does more harm than good because it's based on ignorance (acting upon what you feel and not what you know) Fear causes you to run away from your problems, but as of now, i'm tired of running to nowhere, to defeat. When you succumb to fear, you become a slave. To overcome fear and be free, you have to motivated to endure whatever comes your way to survive.