Jump to topic:

Milgram Experiment

annhasle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/21/2011 10:05:15 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
I watched a video about the Milgram Experiment today. If you are unfamiliar with it, here's an overview: http://en.wikipedia.org...

This experiment was put forward by Stanley Milgram, a Yale University psychologist. It was created to study the relationship between an authority figure and the participants in a situation where their conscience was conflicted. Please read the Wikipedia page for how the experiment was set up -- otherwise the OP will be 8,000 characters long. Don't worry, it's only a couple paragraphs and the link is above.

Anyways, the psychologists predicted that 0 - 3 out of 100 participants would administer all 450 volts when really 65% of participants administered the lethal voltage. Now this has been open to many different interpretations but I was wondering what ya'll thought of this social experiment...? Personally, I found it unsettling.

Thoughts? Opinions? Comments?
I'm not back. This idiot just upset me which made me stop lurking.
LaissezFaire
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/21/2011 10:17:49 PM
Read a good article about it recently at mises.org. http://mises.org...
Should we subsidize education?
http://www.debate.org...

http://mises.org...

http://lewrockwell.com...

http://antiwar.com...

: At 6/22/2011 6:57:23 PM, el-badgero wrote:
: i didn't like [Obama]. he was the only black dude in moneygall yet he claimed to be home. obvious liar is obvious liar. i bet him and bin laden are bumfvcking right now.
TheSkeptic
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/21/2011 10:29:39 PM
There's a lot of interesting psychological experiments that I never have the time to look into deeply - I recall another famous experiment where they attempted to recreate a prison and the social environment. The result were that the prison guards (or rather, students who played the role) subtly but surely grew more aggressive and violent towards the prisoners (or rather, students who played the role). I think the experiment went on for a few months.

Not sure about the validity of this test and the parameters as my memory of it is fuzzy, but if the result was at least similar to what I recall, it serves to be an interesting experiment that kinda shows how sh!tty humans can be :D.
belle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/21/2011 10:34:36 PM
At 1/21/2011 10:29:39 PM, TheSkeptic wrote:
There's a lot of interesting psychological experiments that I never have the time to look into deeply - I recall another famous experiment where they attempted to recreate a prison and the social environment. The result were that the prison guards (or rather, students who played the role) subtly but surely grew more aggressive and violent towards the prisoners (or rather, students who played the role). I think the experiment went on for a few months.

Not sure about the validity of this test and the parameters as my memory of it is fuzzy, but if the result was at least similar to what I recall, it serves to be an interesting experiment that kinda shows how sh!tty humans can be :D.

stanford prison experiment. it went on less than a full week iirc. but on the other hand... it doesn't seem as shocking as the milgram experiment to me because the guards were explicitly told to act like douchebags. the experimenters chastised them for being too nice in the beginning. what he said he was shocked about were the creative ways the guards found to fulfill their instructions...
evidently i only come to ddo to avoid doing homework...
annhasle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/21/2011 10:36:54 PM
At 1/21/2011 10:29:39 PM, TheSkeptic wrote:

Ah, I remember that one. Within an hour of being prison guards they became increasingly aggressive towards the prisoners and some were even abusive. Another good social experiment was depicted in the documentary "The Eye of the Storm" where a 3rd grade teacher in a complete white town taught her student about discrimination in the late '60s by dividing the class by eye color. One day the blue eyed kids were the "better" ones and the brown eyed kids were treated like crap. They were told to wear collars if they had brown eyes so they could tell from a distance who they were. And then the next day the brown eyed kids were "better" and the blue eyed kids wore the collars while being treated like crap. That was by far the most effective way of teaching discrimination but to see such young children turn into mini-Hitlers within the space of 30min. because of eye color was disturbing. Best friends turned to enemies within the space of a day if they were of different eye color. Yikes.

It has been re-done multiple times and Milgram himself ran it 18 other times. It is regarded as one of the most critical and valid social experiments from what I have heard. :)
CosmicAlfonzo
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/21/2011 10:37:52 PM
It's all so very sick, ain't it?
Official "High Priest of Secular Affairs and Transient Distributor of Sonic Apple Seeds relating to the Reptilian Division of Paperwork Immoliation" of The FREEDO Bureaucracy, a DDO branch of the Erisian Front, a subdivision of the Discordian Back, a Limb of the Illuminatian Cosmic Utensil Corp
Korashk
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/21/2011 10:46:35 PM
Someone did the same experiment with real puppies. They got the same result.
When large numbers of otherwise-law abiding people break specific laws en masse, it's usually a fault that lies with the law. - Unknown
nonentity
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/22/2011 1:18:51 AM
The study has been redone... I actually got a newspaper clipping from one of my prof's today about the guy who re-did the study. I'm too lazy/tired to go downstairs and get it though and I can't remembe his name.

But yeah. This study is one of the main reasons (if not, the main reason) why we have an ethics committee today lol but the implications were great and the findings impressive.

Another intresting (and related) one is Asch's conformity study. http://en.wikipedia.org...

You can probably find a clip of that on Youtube.
vardas0antras
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/22/2011 10:47:04 AM
At 1/21/2011 10:37:52 PM, CosmicAlfonzo wrote:
It's all so very sick, ain't it?
"When he awoke in a tomb three days later he would actually have believed that he rose from the dead" FREEDO about the resurrection of Jesus Christ
annhasle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/24/2011 2:06:39 AM
At 1/24/2011 1:46:36 AM, FREEDO wrote:
We are fundamentally irrational beings.

When are we going to debate "Logic is Illogical"? :P
Ore_Ele
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/24/2011 2:14:52 AM

thinking is hard, if you can pass responsibility off on others and not have to think, then you likely will.
"Wanting Red Rhino Pill to have gender"
FREEDO
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/24/2011 2:23:57 AM
At 1/24/2011 2:06:39 AM, annhasle wrote:

There was technical problems when I was writing it up before but I think they're fixed now so it will be imminent. Maybe not tonight, though.
GRAND POOBAH OF DDO

fnord
annhasle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/24/2011 2:27:50 AM
At 1/24/2011 2:23:57 AM, FREEDO wrote:

There was technical problems when I was writing it up before but I think they're fixed now so it will be imminent. Maybe not tonight, though.

I have finals this week but maybe this upcoming Saturday or Sunday?
FREEDO
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/24/2011 2:35:06 AM
At 1/24/2011 2:27:50 AM, annhasle wrote:
At 1/24/2011 2:23:57 AM, FREEDO wrote:

I have finals this week but maybe this upcoming Saturday or Sunday?

Oh, ok. Just tell me when you're ready.
GRAND POOBAH OF DDO

fnord
vardas0antras
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/24/2011 10:12:06 AM
At 1/24/2011 1:46:16 AM, FREEDO wrote:

Can't watch the video, what is this about ?
"When he awoke in a tomb three days later he would actually have believed that he rose from the dead" FREEDO about the resurrection of Jesus Christ
innomen
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/24/2011 10:19:46 AM
I remember studying these experiments when i was in college and i was quite disturbed by them. It's really quite amazing we are not more barbaric in culture and society. I really believe that hate is a natural default.
FREEDO
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/24/2011 10:59:35 PM
At 1/24/2011 10:12:06 AM, vardas0antras wrote:
At 1/24/2011 1:46:16 AM, FREEDO wrote:

It's an example of the Milgram Experiment. The vast majority of people were willing to torture someone in another room(no one was really harmed) because a guy in a white coat told them to.
GRAND POOBAH OF DDO

fnord
badger
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/25/2011 6:39:22 AM
At 1/24/2011 10:19:46 AM, innomen wrote:
I remember studying these experiments when i was in college and i was quite disturbed by them. It's really quite amazing we are not more barbaric in culture and society. I really believe that hate is a natural default.

i've always thought that too. trusting people are idiots. the way i live my life is that if you're not my friend, you're my enemy.. most sensible way to live i think.. and the enemy of my enemy is just another enemy i can use... unless they're my friend :)

once you're my friend though, i give a lot of chances.. i don't like to be wrong in who i've trusted lol.. i'm usually not though.. but i've this one cousin (like i had to love him..) who's gonna get himself landed in a bog hole cut to pieces if he doesn't cop himself on..
signature