Jump to topic:

Art and Money

vardas0antras
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/4/2011 2:44:30 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
I can't accept the justifications people use for the amount of money and resources they spend on art. Sure, this painting does look good and that oversized building does surely attract tourists but is it worth it ? After all, for every pretty picture, thousands of schools and hospitals can be built. Your thoughts ?
"When he awoke in a tomb three days later he would actually have believed that he rose from the dead" FREEDO about the resurrection of Jesus Christ
gavin.ogden
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/4/2011 3:20:14 PM
At 2/4/2011 2:44:30 PM, vardas0antras wrote:
I can't accept the justifications people use for the amount of money and resources they spend on art. Sure, this painting does look good and that oversized building does surely attract tourists but is it worth it ? After all, for every pretty picture, thousands of schools and hospitals can be built. Your thoughts ?

The concept of beauty is different for everyone, and there are many people who will pay large sums of money for things they consider beautiful. Art is one of those things. Beauty can bring joy to people, and it's worth what someone is willing to pay for it. Also, the statement I bolded is ridiculous. I have many pretty pictures that were very inexpensive. In fact, it is rare to find uber expensive pictures. That's why they are called rare collectibles.
CosmicAlfonzo
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/4/2011 3:27:57 PM
People who buy art are silly.

Unless they buy art from me, then I love them very much.
Official "High Priest of Secular Affairs and Transient Distributor of Sonic Apple Seeds relating to the Reptilian Division of Paperwork Immoliation" of The FREEDO Bureaucracy, a DDO branch of the Erisian Front, a subdivision of the Discordian Back, a Limb of the Illuminatian Cosmic Utensil Corp
tigg13
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/4/2011 3:30:51 PM

I'm not sure what you think the problem is.

Do you think that people should not be allowed to spend their money any way they want to or do you think that artists shouldn't be allowed to make a living making art?

Or do you just think that the world would be a better place if no one were allowed the freedom to express themselves?
vardas0antras
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/4/2011 3:39:25 PM
At 2/4/2011 3:30:51 PM, tigg13 wrote:

Do you think that people should not be allowed to spend their money any way they want to or do you think that artists shouldn't be allowed to make a living making art?

Or do you just think that the world would be a better place if no one were allowed the freedom to express themselves?

No, I think that the world would be a better place if people didn't spend that much of money into art. Look at this:
http://www.mostinterestingfacts.com...
Do you know how much good could be done with that money ? If you want to see something pretty then find a butterfly...
"When he awoke in a tomb three days later he would actually have believed that he rose from the dead" FREEDO about the resurrection of Jesus Christ
CosmicAlfonzo
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/4/2011 3:42:52 PM
Do you know how much good could be done with that money ? If you want to see something pretty then find a butterfly...

Indeed. Art is mental masturbation with toys.

What good does it do? Oh yeah, occasionally it might bring someone to enlightenment, but the great majority will miss the point.

Also, especially in the case of music, most crap you hear is only good for one thing... Hypnotism.
Official "High Priest of Secular Affairs and Transient Distributor of Sonic Apple Seeds relating to the Reptilian Division of Paperwork Immoliation" of The FREEDO Bureaucracy, a DDO branch of the Erisian Front, a subdivision of the Discordian Back, a Limb of the Illuminatian Cosmic Utensil Corp
gavin.ogden
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/4/2011 3:44:51 PM
At 2/4/2011 3:39:25 PM, vardas0antras wrote:

No, I think that the world would be a better place if people didn't spend that much of money into art. Look at this:

What about the artists' vision of the butterfly? It can be just as beautiful as the butterfly, itself. The artist is expressing a vision, and some people think that is worth money, so they buy it. What's the problem? The Bible is a piece of literature. Literature is art, and look how closely you hold that. It is priceless to you, isn't it? Well, there are many other pieces of art which hold that same value to others.
mattrodstrom
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/4/2011 3:46:37 PM
At 2/4/2011 3:44:51 PM, gavin.ogden wrote:
butterfly

zhuangzi wrote:
Once Chuang Chou dreamt he was a butterfly, a butterfly flitting and fluttering around, happy with himself and doing as he pleased. He didn't know he was Chuang Chou. Suddenly he woke up and there he was, solid and unmistakable Chuang Chou. But he didn't know if he was Chuang Chou who had dreamt he was a butterfly, or a butterfly dreaming he was Chuang Chou. Between Chuang Chou and a butterfly there must be some distinction! This is called the Transformation of Things.
"He who does not know how to put his will into things at least puts a meaning into them: that is, he believes there is a will in them already."

Metaphysics:
"The science.. which deals with the fundamental errors of mankind - but as if they were the fundamental truths."
CosmicAlfonzo
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/4/2011 3:48:20 PM
Beauty is a lie.

Without ugly, there can be no beauty. Ugly is just falsely judged beauty.

The output of the mind is just as beautiful as the output of nature... You can't get much uglier than the human mind. There is a strange beauty in it.
gavin.ogden
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/4/2011 3:48:52 PM
At 2/4/2011 3:46:37 PM, mattrodstrom wrote:
butterfly

zhuangzi wrote:
Once Chuang Chou dreamt he was a butterfly, a butterfly flitting and fluttering around, happy with himself and doing as he pleased. He didn't know he was Chuang Chou. Suddenly he woke up and there he was, solid and unmistakable Chuang Chou. But he didn't know if he was Chuang Chou who had dreamt he was a butterfly, or a butterfly dreaming he was Chuang Chou. Between Chuang Chou and a butterfly there must be some distinction! This is called the Transformation of Things.

An example of beautiful art.
gavin.ogden
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/4/2011 3:49:45 PM
At 2/4/2011 3:48:20 PM, CosmicAlfonzo wrote:
Beauty is a lie.

The output of the mind is just as beautiful as the output of nature... You can't get much uglier than the human mind. There is a strange beauty in it.

Beauty is an interpretation.
CosmicAlfonzo
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/4/2011 3:51:11 PM
At 2/4/2011 3:49:45 PM, gavin.ogden wrote:
Beauty is a lie.

Beauty is also pretty ugly when you get right down to it.
gavin.ogden
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/4/2011 3:54:01 PM
At 2/4/2011 3:51:11 PM, CosmicAlfonzo wrote:
At 2/4/2011 3:49:45 PM, gavin.ogden wrote:
Beauty is a lie.

Beauty is also pretty ugly when you get right down to it.

Hahaha!!! I guess so.
vardas0antras
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/4/2011 3:58:49 PM

What about the artists' vision of the butterfly? It can be just as beautiful as the butterfly, itself. The artist is expressing a vision, and some people think that is worth money, so they buy it. What's the problem? The Bible is a piece of literature. Literature is art, and look how closely you hold that. It is priceless to you, isn't it? Well, there are many other pieces of art which hold that same value to others.

I am not saying that beauty has no worth or that a painting of a cloud for example has no worth but there ought to be a limit. I mean what would you choose ? The Mona Lisa painting or the ability to feed the kids in Africa ? Same with the Bible, yes, I would do a lot to get that book but I wouldn't break Gods will and ignore the poor for it !
gavin.ogden
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/4/2011 4:07:48 PM
At 2/4/2011 3:58:49 PM, vardas0antras wrote:

I am not saying that beauty has no worth or that a painting of a cloud for example has no worth but there ought to be a limit. I mean what would you choose ? The Mona Lisa painting or the ability to feed the kids in Africa ? Same with the Bible, yes, I would do a lot to get that book but I wouldn't break Gods will and ignore the poor for it !

Who sets the limit on what something is worth? In your mind giving to the poor is more important than art. I respect that, and I tend to agree with you. However, who are we to judge what someone else does with their money? It's really none of our business, is it? As soon as we encroach on people's ability to use their money as they see fit, we take away one of their basic liberties. Where does that slippery slope lead?
CosmicAlfonzo
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/4/2011 4:16:33 PM
God's will is whatever happens. If children in Africa die because fat American fvcks had to buy a Justin Beiber album, it was God's will.

Now wouldn't the world be a better place if we could equally distribute wealth to all?

If the overall standard of living goes down, is it even really that big of a deal Seriously, it would probably be good for the mental health of all anyway.

Seriously, this problem probes alot deeper than the arse of someone who gets off on Salvador Dali. Art isn't the problem, it is society.
gavin.ogden
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/4/2011 4:19:59 PM
At 2/4/2011 4:16:33 PM, CosmicAlfonzo wrote:
God's will is whatever happens. If children in Africa die because fat American fvcks had to buy a Justin Beiber album, it was God's will.

Now wouldn't the world be a better place if we could equally distribute wealth to all?

If the overall standard of living goes down, is it even really that big of a deal Seriously, it would probably be good for the mental health of all anyway.

Seriously, this problem probes alot deeper than the arse of someone who gets off on Salvador Dali. Art isn't the problem, it is society.

Probably...
CosmicAlfonzo
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/4/2011 4:23:03 PM
seriously dawg

*slowly raises up a hammer and sickle.*

*quickly pulls them back down*
Puck
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/4/2011 4:28:36 PM
I can't accept the justifications people use for the amount of money and resources they spend on art.

What it's not your money to spend? Ah.
gavin.ogden
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/4/2011 4:34:58 PM
At 2/4/2011 4:28:36 PM, Puck wrote:
I can't accept the justifications people use for the amount of money and resources they spend on art.

this.
vardas0antras
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/4/2011 4:35:52 PM
At 2/4/2011 4:28:36 PM, Puck wrote:

That doesn't mean that I can't disagree with the way it's used. I would also protest if someone were to burn a large bag filled with euros. Yes, it's his money but c'mon.
CosmicAlfonzo
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/4/2011 4:37:01 PM
I can't understand the justifications that people use for buying all these clothes.. Or air conditioning.. Seriously, quit being a poooosie, and crack a window.

Or how about food eh? Seriously most people are major fat arses, how can anyone eat so much and not feel sick all the time?

On another note, how can grocery stores have rotting food on the shelf when there are people starving across the world?
vardas0antras
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/4/2011 4:37:44 PM
At 2/4/2011 4:37:01 PM, CosmicAlfonzo wrote:
I can't understand the justifications that people use for buying all these clothes.. Or air conditioning.. Seriously, quit being a poooosie, and crack a window.

Or how about food eh? Seriously most people are major fat arses, how can anyone eat so much and not feel sick all the time?

On another note, how can grocery stores have rotting food on the shelf when there are people starving across the world?

The link being ?
CosmicAlfonzo
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/4/2011 4:51:20 PM
Excessive clothing and excessive food are not really any more useful than art, and people spend money on these things. Air conditioning is a luxury, not a necessity in nearly all cases.

Indulging in art is a luxury.

Grocery stores will have bad food on their shelves when there are people going hungry in the world.

The accumulation of wealth has a lot to do with these things, but even that is a sign of a deeper psychological problem.

Humans are too messed up, these problems will not be rightly taken care of until we create a higher intelligence. Even that isn't guaranteed to work.
tigg13
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/4/2011 5:08:50 PM

The Mona Lisa = $670 Million
Cosmopolitan Hotel and Casino = $3.9 Billion
New Meadowlands Stadium = $1.6 Billion

1 stealth bomber = $1.1 Billion

But if you want to talk about people wasting money how about all the money wasted on printing Bibles and building churches.
gavin.ogden
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/4/2011 5:16:31 PM
At 2/4/2011 5:08:50 PM, tigg13 wrote:

But if you want to talk about people wasting money how about all the money wasted on printing Bibles and building churches.

But tigg, bibles and churches are more important than casinos, right? Oh, wait, reverse that... Casinos are obviously more important, but I wonder what brings in more money annually.
tigg13
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/4/2011 6:08:01 PM
At 2/4/2011 5:16:31 PM, gavin.ogden wrote:

But tigg, bibles and churches are more important than casinos, right? Oh, wait, reverse that... Casinos are obviously more important, but I wonder what brings in more money annually.

At least with casinos you get to know the odds going in - and it's actually possible to win.
gavin.ogden
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/4/2011 6:15:31 PM
At 2/4/2011 6:08:01 PM, tigg13 wrote:
At 2/4/2011 5:16:31 PM, gavin.ogden wrote:

At least with casinos you get to know the odds going in - and it's actually possible to win.

Hahahaha!!! That's what I was getting at. Nicely done, sir.
badger
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/4/2011 8:44:00 PM

my thoughts? ....hmmmm... well.. ammm... well it's like a form of investment banking, ain't it...?
signature
vardas0antras
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/5/2011 3:52:28 AM
>.> Well, it was fun.