Total Posts:56|Showing Posts:1-30|Last Page
Jump to topic:

What is the meaning of life?

blackhawk1331
Posts: 4,932
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/8/2011 7:35:49 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
Simple enough. What is the meaning of life? (in your opinion, of course)
Because you said it was a waste, numb nuts. - Drafter

So fvck you. :) - TV

Use prima facie correctly or not at all. - Noumena
CosmicAlfonzo
Posts: 5,955
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/8/2011 7:38:39 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
I'd tell you, but then I'd have to kill you.
Official "High Priest of Secular Affairs and Transient Distributor of Sonic Apple Seeds relating to the Reptilian Division of Paperwork Immoliation" of The FREEDO Bureaucracy, a DDO branch of the Erisian Front, a subdivision of the Discordian Back, a Limb of the Illuminatian Cosmic Utensil Corp
mattrodstrom
Posts: 12,028
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/8/2011 7:40:20 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 2/8/2011 7:35:49 PM, blackhawk1331 wrote:
Simple enough. What is the meaning of life? (in your opinion, of course)

Finding God.
"He who does not know how to put his will into things at least puts a meaning into them: that is, he believes there is a will in them already."

Metaphysics:
"The science.. which deals with the fundamental errors of mankind - but as if they were the fundamental truths."
J.Kenyon
Posts: 4,194
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/8/2011 7:44:57 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 2/8/2011 7:40:20 PM, mattrodstrom wrote:
At 2/8/2011 7:35:49 PM, blackhawk1331 wrote:
Simple enough. What is the meaning of life? (in your opinion, of course)

Finding God.

I thought God was omnipresent?
mattrodstrom
Posts: 12,028
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/8/2011 7:46:04 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
Through Full Engagement you can find peaceful, untroubled, Contentment :)

Zhuangzi said:
Cook Ting was cutting up an ox for Lord Wen-hui. At every touch of his hand, every heave of his shoulder, every move of his feet, every thrust of his knee - zip! zoop! He slithered the knife along with a zing, and all was in perfect rhythm, as though he were performing the dance of the Mulberry Grove or keeping time to the Ching-shou music.3

"Ah, this is marvelous!" said Lord Wen-hui. "Imagine skill reaching such heights!"

Cook Ting laid down his knife and replied, "What I care about is the Way, which goes beyond skill. When I first began cutting up oxen, all I could see was the ox itself. After three years I no longer saw the whole ox, only parts. And now - now I go at it by spirit and don't look with my eyes. Perception and understanding have come to a stop and spirit moves where it wants. I go along with the natural makeup, strike in the big hollows, guide the knife through the big openings, and follow things as they are. So I never touch the smallest ligament or tendon, much less a main joint.

"A good cook changes his knife once a year-because he cuts. A mediocre cook changes his knife once a month-because he hacks. I've had this knife of mine for nineteen years and I've cut up thousands of oxen with it, and yet the blade is as good as though it had just come from the grindstone. There are spaces between the joints, and the blade of the knife has really no thickness. If you insert what has no thickness into such spaces, then there's plenty of room - more than enough for the blade to play about it. That's why after nineteen years the blade of my knife is still as good as when it first came from the grindstone.

"However, whenever I come to a complicated place, I size up the difficulties, tell myself to watch out and be careful, keep my eyes on what I'm doing, work very slowly, and move the knife with the greatest subtlety, until - flop! the whole thing comes apart like a clod of earth crumbling to the ground. I stand there holding the knife and look all around me, completely satisfied and reluctant to move on, and then I wipe off the knife and put it away." 4

"Excellent!" said Lord Wen-hui. "I have heard the words of Cook Ting and learned how to care for life!"
"He who does not know how to put his will into things at least puts a meaning into them: that is, he believes there is a will in them already."

Metaphysics:
"The science.. which deals with the fundamental errors of mankind - but as if they were the fundamental truths."
GeoLaureate8
Posts: 12,252
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/8/2011 7:46:37 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 2/8/2011 7:35:49 PM, blackhawk1331 wrote:
Simple enough. What is the meaning of life? (in your opinion, of course)

"Money, hoes, and clothes, that's all a nigga knows." - Biggie Smalls
"We must raise the standard of the Old, free, decentralized, and strictly limited Republic."
-- Murray Rothbard

"The worst thing that can happen to a good cause is, not to be skillfully attacked, but to be ineptly defended."
-- Frederic Bastiat
mattrodstrom
Posts: 12,028
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/8/2011 7:46:47 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 2/8/2011 7:44:57 PM, J.Kenyon wrote:
At 2/8/2011 7:40:20 PM, mattrodstrom wrote:
At 2/8/2011 7:35:49 PM, blackhawk1331 wrote:
Simple enough. What is the meaning of life? (in your opinion, of course)

Finding God.

I thought God was omnipresent?

Ah! you're right.. there he is!!
"He who does not know how to put his will into things at least puts a meaning into them: that is, he believes there is a will in them already."

Metaphysics:
"The science.. which deals with the fundamental errors of mankind - but as if they were the fundamental truths."
SuperRobotWars
Posts: 3,906
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/8/2011 7:47:49 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
http://balancedlifeskills.files.wordpress.com...
Minister Of Trolling
: At 12/6/2011 2:21:41 PM, badger wrote:
: ugly people should beat beautiful people ugly. simple! you'd be killing two birds with the one stone... women like violent men and you're making yourself more attractive, relatively. i met a blonde dude who was prettier than me not so long ago. he's not so pretty now! ha!
:
: ...and well, he wasn't really prettier than me. he just had nice hair.
mattrodstrom
Posts: 12,028
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/8/2011 8:46:08 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 2/8/2011 7:46:47 PM, mattrodstrom wrote:
At 2/8/2011 7:44:57 PM, J.Kenyon wrote:
At 2/8/2011 7:40:20 PM, mattrodstrom wrote:
At 2/8/2011 7:35:49 PM, blackhawk1331 wrote:
Simple enough. What is the meaning of life? (in your opinion, of course)

Finding God.

I thought God was omnipresent?

Ah! you're right.. there he is!!

wait a sec.. If that was the meaning of life.. what now?

I'm done I suppose???

Zhuangzi says:
In sound sleep, spirits mingle,
on waking, bodies open out.
They greet and grapple,
and use their minds all day to struggle.

The humble ones, the high ones, the hidden ones: the little fears panic, the big fears calm.

They fly like an arrow from a bow

That's the way they guard their rights and wrongs.

They stick like they'd sworn an oath.

That's the way they hold to victory.

They die like fall and winter.

That describes their daily deterioration. They drown; and what makes it happen can't bring them back.

They're sated as though sealed.

That describes their stagnation. As the mind nears death, nothing can bring it back to vitality.


Happiness, anger, despair, joy,
planning sighing, bending, freezing
elegance, ease, candor posturing-

They are music out of emptiness, mist condensing into mushrooms!

Day and night they alternate in front of us without our knowing where they sprout. Enough! Enough! Morning and evening we've got them, wherever they come from.
(as translated by Ivanhoe and Norden)
"He who does not know how to put his will into things at least puts a meaning into them: that is, he believes there is a will in them already."

Metaphysics:
"The science.. which deals with the fundamental errors of mankind - but as if they were the fundamental truths."
CosmicAlfonzo
Posts: 5,955
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/8/2011 10:23:53 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 2/8/2011 8:42:42 PM, Aibohphobia wrote:
42. Obviously.

You officially win this topic.

And I would know, I'm official.
Official "High Priest of Secular Affairs and Transient Distributor of Sonic Apple Seeds relating to the Reptilian Division of Paperwork Immoliation" of The FREEDO Bureaucracy, a DDO branch of the Erisian Front, a subdivision of the Discordian Back, a Limb of the Illuminatian Cosmic Utensil Corp
Anacharsis
Posts: 139
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/9/2011 4:21:35 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
Meaning is subjective. What does your life mean to you? What meaning do you want to create within your life?

To simply ask "what is the meaning of life?" would imply that some outside agency (God?) has given it one. If that were the case, the answer would be obvious.
CosmicAlfonzo
Posts: 5,955
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/9/2011 4:32:58 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 2/9/2011 4:21:35 PM, Anacharsis wrote:
Meaning is subjective. What does your life mean to you? What meaning do you want to create within your life?

To simply ask "what is the meaning of life?" would imply that some outside agency (God?) has given it one. If that were the case, the answer would be obvious.

Do what got made us to do?

Eat, fvck, fart, and sleep?
Official "High Priest of Secular Affairs and Transient Distributor of Sonic Apple Seeds relating to the Reptilian Division of Paperwork Immoliation" of The FREEDO Bureaucracy, a DDO branch of the Erisian Front, a subdivision of the Discordian Back, a Limb of the Illuminatian Cosmic Utensil Corp
vardas0antras
Posts: 983
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/9/2011 4:43:26 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 2/9/2011 4:32:58 PM, CosmicAlfonzo wrote:
At 2/9/2011 4:21:35 PM, Anacharsis wrote:
Meaning is subjective. What does your life mean to you? What meaning do you want to create within your life?

To simply ask "what is the meaning of life?" would imply that some outside agency (God?) has given it one. If that were the case, the answer would be obvious.

Do what got made us to do?

Eat, fvck, fart, and sleep?

Don't you mean God ? Also, no. God, did not provide a purpose of sleeping or eating. Don't believe me ? Try not to eat anything, do it till you die ! You won't be able to control yourself.
"When he awoke in a tomb three days later he would actually have believed that he rose from the dead" FREEDO about the resurrection of Jesus Christ
charleslb
Posts: 4,740
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/9/2011 5:39:00 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 2/8/2011 7:35:49 PM, blackhawk1331 wrote:
Simple enough. What is the meaning of life? (in your opinion, of course)

Life has no meaning in the sense of an ulterior meaning, a meaning hanging just above life, floating around somewhere external to ourselves that we aspire to. But life and reality do have certain intrinsic values that we can discover and actualize within ourselves and the world.

What are these intrinsic values? They're all the best and most beautiful possibilities and potentialities of life, the aesthetic goodness and arete of the deeper nature of reality, and constructively participating in the underlying aesthetic, moral, and spiritual beauty-generating communion of everything in Creation, rather than selfishly and destructively functioning like atomized and anomic egos. What specifically are the beautiful aesthetic, moral, and spiritual possibilities of life? Growth, various kinds of intelligence, creativity, love, compassion, a sense of humor, etc. Basically, all the usual sappy suspects.

The meaning of life is quite simply to realize the highest promise of the life-form in which we embody the mystery and miracle of existence. In our case, this means being the best and most brilliant human beings that we can be, maxing our human potential all the way, creating the richest experience of human life for ourselves that we can. And not privatistically, but, again, in communion with the rest of life and Creation. We each need to realize that life is a relational, interdependent proposition, we aren't ontological islands and we most definitely cannot make the most out of our sojourn in the universe by operating like petty egoistic individualists. So, to refine, the fundamental meaning of life is interdependently partaking of and enriching the wealth of its inner creative nature. In other words, don't hold your life's breath for some heavenly source or validation of your life's purpose, life is its own meaning and reward, reap and share it now!
Yo, all of my subliterate conservative criticasters who find perusing and processing the sesquipedalian verbiage of my posts to be such a bothersome brain-taxing chore, I have a new nickname for you. Henceforth you shall be known as Pooh Bears. No, not for the obvious apt reasons, i.e., not because you're full of pooh, and not because of your ursine irritability. Rather, you put me in mind of an A.A. Milne quote, "I am a Bear of Very Little Brain, and long words bother me". Love ya, Pooh Bears.
charleslb
Posts: 4,740
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/9/2011 11:25:00 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 2/9/2011 6:32:50 PM, Cody_Franklin wrote:
Life doesn't have a meaning.

Life does not have a meaning that's free-floating in the notional ether above this reality we inhabit, or a meaning decreed by a mythological deity who oxymoronically and self-centeredly exists separately from existence. And there's no objective meaning of life in the sense of a meaning hard-wired into the substance of things, because at the most fundamental level of reality there's no substance, only pure and aesthetically-inclined sentience; no entities or egos, only the creative process vivaciously embodying itself in the cosmos; no being, only the never-finished ontological business of becoming. That is, there's no stone for any meaning of life to be written in.

However, that being said, existence and life is basically creative engagement with its potential and wonder, which means that there's meaning after all, because we're ipso facto constantly engaged in choosing and creating the meaning of our lives. So, the meaning of life is not a perfunctory fulfillment of a procrustean meaning external to it, but rather the free and authentic creation of original meaning by each and every participant in the mystery of reality.
Yo, all of my subliterate conservative criticasters who find perusing and processing the sesquipedalian verbiage of my posts to be such a bothersome brain-taxing chore, I have a new nickname for you. Henceforth you shall be known as Pooh Bears. No, not for the obvious apt reasons, i.e., not because you're full of pooh, and not because of your ursine irritability. Rather, you put me in mind of an A.A. Milne quote, "I am a Bear of Very Little Brain, and long words bother me". Love ya, Pooh Bears.
Aibohphobia
Posts: 136
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/9/2011 11:29:53 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 2/9/2011 11:25:00 PM, charleslb wrote:
At 2/9/2011 6:32:50 PM, Cody_Franklin wrote:
Life doesn't have a meaning.

Life does not have a meaning that's free-floating in the notional ether above this reality we inhabit, or a meaning decreed by a mythological deity who oxymoronically and self-centeredly exists separately from existence. And there's no objective meaning of life in the sense of a meaning hard-wired into the substance of things, because at the most fundamental level of reality there's no substance, only pure and aesthetically-inclined sentience; no entities or egos, only the creative process vivaciously embodying itself in the cosmos; no being, only the never-finished ontological business of becoming. That is, there's no stone for any meaning of life to be written in.

However, that being said, existence and life is basically creative engagement with its potential and wonder, which means that there's meaning after all, because we're ipso facto constantly engaged in choosing and creating the meaning of our lives. So, the meaning of life is not a perfunctory fulfillment of a procrustean meaning external to it, but rather the free and authentic creation of original meaning by each and every participant in the mystery of reality.

So many big words ><

But I think I understand what you're saying (sort of)

That there is no objective meaning in life, each person gives meaning to their own life.
charleslb
Posts: 4,740
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/9/2011 11:31:37 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 2/9/2011 11:25:00 PM, charleslb wrote:
At 2/9/2011 6:32:50 PM, Cody_Franklin wrote:
Life doesn't have a meaning.

Life does not have a meaning that's free-floating in the notional ether above this reality we inhabit, or a meaning decreed by a mythological deity who oxymoronically and self-centeredly exists separately from existence. And there's no objective meaning of life in the sense of a meaning hard-wired into the substance of things, because at the most fundamental level of reality there's no substance, only pure and aesthetically-inclined sentience; no entities or egos, only the creative process vivaciously embodying itself in the cosmos; no being, only the never-finished ontological business of becoming. That is, there's no stone for any meaning of life to be written in.

However, that being said, existence and life is basically creative engagement with its potential and wonder, which means that there's meaning after all, because we're ipso facto constantly engaged in choosing and creating the meaning of our lives. So, the meaning of life is not a perfunctory fulfillment of a procrustean meaning external to it, but rather the free and authentic creation of original meaning by each and every participant in the mystery of reality.

And, BTW, that we create our own meaning doesn't make meaning "subjective", it makes it internal to the creative process that is life, and free-style like that process itself.
Yo, all of my subliterate conservative criticasters who find perusing and processing the sesquipedalian verbiage of my posts to be such a bothersome brain-taxing chore, I have a new nickname for you. Henceforth you shall be known as Pooh Bears. No, not for the obvious apt reasons, i.e., not because you're full of pooh, and not because of your ursine irritability. Rather, you put me in mind of an A.A. Milne quote, "I am a Bear of Very Little Brain, and long words bother me". Love ya, Pooh Bears.
Jarjar3000
Posts: 273
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/10/2011 2:37:41 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
Meaning of Life.................Jesus Christ.
Ohh Lord How you love me, you change my heart and soul, renewing my mind into something I could never imagine, You make me strong when I am weak, you encourage me when I'm despaired, You stick by me when everyone deserts me, You are my Lord You are my God.

Charles: I'm not a Christian because I'm afraid of hell, I'm a Christian because I love Jesus.

Geolaureate: The Pope
He looks like a Sith lord, I don't trust him.

Charles0103: Just like my God, my faith won't change.
Aibohphobia
Posts: 136
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/10/2011 5:42:50 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
That is incorrect please try again.

(Although it is admirable to try to be like Jesus, the meaning of everyone's life is not to be a world-changing prophet speaking about Gods and morals.)
spiritislife
Posts: 94
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/18/2011 1:19:11 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
For us to even ask that question is proof man was created for something more than this life. The Catechism of the Catholic Church tells us the answer to this vital human question on page one...

The purpose and meaning of life is to know, love and serve God in this life and be happy with Him forever in the next.
PARADIGM_L0ST
Posts: 6,958
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/18/2011 1:29:32 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
The purpose and meaning of life is to know, love and serve God in this life and be happy with Him forever in the next.:

So God created playthings that would love him because he's perfectly contained within himself.... Makes perfect sense.
"Have you ever considered suicide? If not, please do." -- Mouthwash (to Inferno)
spiritislife
Posts: 94
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/18/2011 3:33:04 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 2/18/2011 1:29:32 PM, PARADIGM_L0ST wrote:

So God created playthings that would love him because he's perfectly contained within himself.... Makes perfect sense.

Yes, true. God is perfectly contained within Himself. He never needed to create anything to be perfectly happy. But in His infinite goodness, LOVE, and Charity He did create things like you and me. In His infinite generosity, God wanted creatures to have a chance to share in His own infinite nature and happiness - if they chose out of their own free will. Everything you have is a gift that didn't have to be.

God created everyhting
socialpinko
Posts: 10,458
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/19/2011 7:27:58 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
Objectively there is none. There was no specific reason why we humans evolved to our present form and we were not sent here to Earth to do anything. One can make meaning however. Albeit it's only subjective,it's the only meaning we can make. And who says we even have to have meaning? We can't just enjoy our precious life or try to help others in need?
: At 9/29/2014 10:55:59 AM, imabench wrote:
: : At 9/29/2014 9:43:46 AM, kbub wrote:
: :
: : DDO should discredit support of sexual violence at any time and in every way.
:
: I disagree.
GeoLaureate8
Posts: 12,252
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/19/2011 7:39:27 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
"Life is like stepping onto a boat that is about to sail out to sea and sink."
-- Zen Proverb
"We must raise the standard of the Old, free, decentralized, and strictly limited Republic."
-- Murray Rothbard

"The worst thing that can happen to a good cause is, not to be skillfully attacked, but to be ineptly defended."
-- Frederic Bastiat
TheAtheistAllegiance
Posts: 1,251
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/19/2011 11:59:41 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 2/18/2011 3:33:04 PM, spiritislife wrote:
At 2/18/2011 1:29:32 PM, PARADIGM_L0ST wrote:

So God created playthings that would love him because he's perfectly contained within himself.... Makes perfect sense.

Yes, true. God is perfectly contained within Himself. He never needed to create anything to be perfectly happy. But in His infinite goodness, LOVE, and Charity He did create things like you and me. In His infinite generosity, God wanted creatures to have a chance to share in His own infinite nature and happiness - if they chose out of their own free will. Everything you have is a gift that didn't have to be.

God created everyhting

In case you didn't notice, not too many people are sharing in that "infinite love"...