Jump to topic:

bounty hunters!

badger
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/13/2011 7:24:07 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
anyone else think they'd be a far better alternative to the police? paid less and less corruptible, right? i know there'd be kinks to work out.. but we're good at working out kinks!
signature
Cerebral_Narcissist
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/13/2011 7:33:47 PM
At 2/13/2011 7:24:07 PM, badger wrote:
anyone else think they'd be a far better alternative to the police? paid less and less corruptible, right? i know there'd be kinks to work out.. but we're good at working out kinks!

Why would they be any better? Who would pay them, because in a number of models it would be more expensive. How would they somehow be less expensive?
I am voting for Innomen because of his intelligence, common sense, humility and the fact that Juggle appears to listen to him. Any other Presidential style would have a large sub-section of the site up in arms. If I was President I would destroy the site though elitism, others would let it run riot. Innomen represents a middle way that works, neither draconian nor anarchic and that is the only way things can work. Plus he does it all without ego trips.
badger
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/13/2011 7:38:19 PM
At 2/13/2011 7:33:47 PM, Cerebral_Narcissist wrote:

Why would they be any better? Who would pay them, because in a number of models it would be more expensive. How would they somehow be less expensive?

well i figured cos they wouldn't be gettin' paid constantly..as in like a weekly wage.. and it'd only be one bounty for one criminal.. instead of having to pay an entire police force all the time.. what models are you talking about? and i reckon they'd be less corruptible because they wouldn't really have any power they could abuse.. whereas police as we have them now do..
signature
annhasle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/13/2011 7:42:13 PM
I've only met one -- and she was a complete bad@ss. She was 4'9" and stalky. Short black hair and covered in piercings/tattoos. She could probably benchpress a Volkswagen Beetle though. She was my boyfriend's best friend's mom -- she could cook really well but she scared the sh!t out of me. ^_^

Anyways, I'd totally be a bounty hunter. It seems like it would be a good job for me. xD
I'm not back. This idiot just upset me which made me stop lurking.
badger
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/13/2011 7:42:57 PM
At 2/13/2011 7:42:13 PM, annhasle wrote:
I've only met one -- and she was a complete bad@ss. She was 4'9" and stalky. Short black hair and covered in piercings/tattoos. She could probably benchpress a Volkswagen Beetle though. She was my boyfriend's best friend's mom -- she could cook really well but she scared the sh!t out of me. ^_^

Anyways, I'd totally be a bounty hunter. It seems like it would be a good job for me. xD

they exist already!?
signature
Ragnar_Rahl
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/13/2011 7:44:03 PM
At 2/13/2011 7:38:19 PM, badger wrote:

well i figured cos they wouldn't be gettin' paid constantly..as in like a weekly wage.. and it'd only be one bounty for one criminal.. instead of having to pay an entire police force all the time..
That means you have to pay them MORE to make up for the financial risks they take on.

and i reckon they'd be less corruptible because they wouldn't really have any power they could abuse
If they don't have the power to use force, they are useless.
It came to be at its height. It was commanded to command. It was a capital before its first stone was laid. It was a monument to the spirit of man.
tvellalott
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/13/2011 7:44:50 PM
Bounty hunters only catch people who are already wanted. They don't investigate crimes... I think they are an awesome resource though.
"Caitlyn Jenner is an incredibly brave and stunningly beautiful woman."

Muh threads
Using mafia tactics in real-life: http://www.debate.org...
6 years of DDO: http://www.debate.org...
Ragnar_Rahl
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/13/2011 7:45:35 PM
At 2/13/2011 7:42:57 PM, badger wrote:

they exist already!?
Yes. You ain't ever seen Dog?

They work where the formal police can't quite manage it efficiently-- and they work BECAUSE the formal police will arrest them if they step outta line.
It came to be at its height. It was commanded to command. It was a capital before its first stone was laid. It was a monument to the spirit of man.
badger
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/13/2011 7:48:40 PM
At 2/13/2011 7:44:03 PM, Ragnar_Rahl wrote:

well i figured cos they wouldn't be gettin' paid constantly..as in like a weekly wage.. and it'd only be one bounty for one criminal.. instead of having to pay an entire police force all the time..
That means you have to pay them MORE to make up for the financial risks they take on.

yeah, but still a LOT less than what you'd pay a whole police force for doing the same thing...

and i reckon they'd be less corruptible because they wouldn't really have any power they could abuse

well that's not what i meant.. see tv's post after yours.. they'd only be going after the already guilty..unlike our system of policing where you've cops abusing innocent people and gettin' away with it all the time..

how who's guilty would be deduced is one of the kinks i was talkin' about comin' into this.. any suggestions?
signature
badger
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/13/2011 7:50:40 PM
At 2/13/2011 7:45:35 PM, Ragnar_Rahl wrote:

they exist already!?
Yes. You ain't ever seen Dog?

i've seen cartman be dog... didn't know he was really a bounty hunter.. dunno what i thought lol..

They work where the formal police can't quite manage it efficiently-- and they work BECAUSE the formal police will arrest them if they step outta line.

or some other bounty hunter might get 'em? :P
signature
annhasle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/13/2011 7:52:19 PM

they exist already!?

Hell yeah they do. :)
I'm not back. This idiot just upset me which made me stop lurking.
Cerebral_Narcissist
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/13/2011 7:57:03 PM

well i figured cos they wouldn't be gettin' paid constantly..as in like a weekly wage.. and it'd only be one bounty for one criminal.. instead of having to pay an entire police force all the time.. what models are you talking about? and i reckon they'd be less corruptible because they wouldn't really have any power they could abuse.. whereas police as we have them now do..

Bounty Hunters would expect to be paid a larger sum due to the inrequency of work, and the fact that are probably going to operate alone or in smalll groups. If this is paid by the state then yes congratulations you probably have a cheaper 'police force'. A really crap one but hey. If it's paid for by the victim of crime then most people are going to have to fork out thousands for justice, instead of being taxed a small amount. For bounty hunters to be bounty hunters they would have to have power, which can therefore can be corrupted. As they are working on comission it is unlikely that criminals who are richer than the client will ever get justice.
I am voting for Innomen because of his intelligence, common sense, humility and the fact that Juggle appears to listen to him. Any other Presidential style would have a large sub-section of the site up in arms. If I was President I would destroy the site though elitism, others would let it run riot. Innomen represents a middle way that works, neither draconian nor anarchic and that is the only way things can work. Plus he does it all without ego trips.
badger
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/13/2011 8:00:38 PM
At 2/13/2011 7:57:03 PM, Cerebral_Narcissist wrote:

Bounty Hunters would expect to be paid a larger sum due to the inrequency of work, and the fact that are probably going to operate alone or in smalll groups. If this is paid by the state then yes congratulations you probably have a cheaper 'police force'. A really crap one but hey. If it's paid for by the victim of crime then most people are going to have to fork out thousands for justice, instead of being taxed a small amount. For bounty hunters to be bounty hunters they would have to have power, which can therefore can be corrupted. As they are working on comission it is unlikely that criminals who are richer than the client will ever get justice.

i'm on about tax paid bounty hunters.. and no they don't need to have any extra power.. we could just have it that when you've a bounty on your head you lose some or all of your rights.. i think it'd be a better 'police force'
signature
J.Kenyon
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/13/2011 8:05:19 PM
As they are working on comission it is unlikely that criminals who are richer than the client will ever get justice.

Sure they would. If bounty hunter established a reputation for being easily corruptible, no one would employ his services.
badger
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/13/2011 8:08:01 PM
At 2/13/2011 8:05:19 PM, J.Kenyon wrote:
As they are working on comission it is unlikely that criminals who are richer than the client will ever get justice.

Sure they would. If bounty hunter established a reputation for being easily corruptible, no one would employ his services.

missed that part. i'm talking about the client being the state.
signature
Cerebral_Narcissist
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/14/2011 3:58:43 AM
At 2/13/2011 8:00:38 PM, badger wrote:

i'm on about tax paid bounty hunters.. and no they don't need to have any extra power.. we could just have it that when you've a bounty on your head you lose some or all of your rights.. i think it'd be a better 'police force'

I am assuming that this is in a society where the definition of a crime has been shifted so that fewer things are criminal?
badger
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/14/2011 5:51:06 AM
At 2/14/2011 3:58:43 AM, Cerebral_Narcissist wrote:

I am assuming that this is in a society where the definition of a crime has been shifted so that fewer things are criminal?

most definitely :)
signature
badger
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/14/2011 5:54:10 AM
At 2/14/2011 5:51:06 AM, badger wrote:

and how to handle things like petty theft and other lesser(?) crimes would be another one of the kinks i came into this not sure about..
signature
Cerebral_Narcissist
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/14/2011 7:01:58 AM
At 2/14/2011 5:54:10 AM, badger wrote:
At 2/14/2011 5:51:06 AM, badger wrote:

and how to handle things like petty theft and other lesser(?) crimes would be another one of the kinks i came into this not sure about..

So we are talking about completely scrapping the police force and replacing it with bounty hunters? I am assuming there are still courts?

This is how I am assuming the process will work, the victim appeals to the court which issues a warrant to a bounty hunter.

1: Summons
The bounty hunter is merely required to inform the defendant that the court wishes to see them. In some cases this could just be done by post. Non-compliance would result in an arrest warrant.

2: Arrest
As above, but the BH may use force.

3: Investigation.
The BH is required to collect clues, investigate, interview. If people obstruct him he may be allowed to apply for an arrest warrant.

4: Execution.
Nuff said.

I suppose it could kinda work...
innomen
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/14/2011 7:13:03 AM
I think it'd be an okay idea in augmenting the police; particularly in areas of knocking out a gang or something where the police seem to be a little weak. Actually i think there would be quite a few jobs for them to do. Considering that "the most wanted" have a prices on their heads, and after reading Ann's post, i would think there'd be more. I think Badger could also supplement his salary when he vacations in the US with such an opportunity.

Apparently they are technically still illegal in the US, but i am confident there are ways around that. While on vacation i met a 22 year old who is a bail bondsman, and he said that they are given great legal discretionary power to go after people that jump bail. I think it's a good idea.
RoyLatham
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/14/2011 7:59:42 AM
If a bank robbery is in progress, hitting the alarm to call a bounty hunter isn't going to work--but I think their use can be expanded.

In the U.S., the law allows bounty hunters to be used by to track down people who have jumped bail, and they are paid by the bondsman. What they are allowed to do is governed by law, and they slightly fewer constraints that the police in things like reading Miranda rights.

I think a bounty system would work well for tracking down cyber criminals. Putting, say a $10,000 reward on tracking down someone running an internet scam would like bring out an army of hackers willing to work day and night to collect the pelt. Another possible area is tracking down people who have skipped on making child support payments.

The areas to identify are where a bounty hunter can work more efficiently than the police and standards of success and failure are well-defined. I suspect some sort of bounty hunter certificate would have to be issued upon passing a test in the relevant laws.
mattrodstrom
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/15/2011 12:37:36 AM

lol.. I thought you had a job you were advertising... ;)
"He who does not know how to put his will into things at least puts a meaning into them: that is, he believes there is a will in them already."

Metaphysics:
"The science.. which deals with the fundamental errors of mankind - but as if they were the fundamental truths."
Ragnar_Rahl
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/15/2011 1:11:23 AM
At 2/13/2011 7:48:40 PM, badger wrote:
At 2/13/2011 7:44:03 PM, Ragnar_Rahl wrote:

yeah, but still a LOT less than what you'd pay a whole police force for doing the same thing...
A whole police force doesn't do the same thing. It does a buttload more. Bounty hunters are heavily specialized and have little organizational coordination not provided them by their employers.

well that's not what i meant.. see tv's post after yours.. they'd only be going after the already guilty
You can't convict someone if you can't take them to court.

or some other bounty hunter might get 'em? :P
That's called "Open warfare of all against all."
badger
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/15/2011 5:52:46 AM
right i'm after changin' my mind lol..

i came into this hatin' the shades and lookin' for as different an alternative as possible.. and i'd kinda love to be a bounty hunter :) but yeah, mind's changed.. c_n did it for me..

i still hate the shades!

but yeah, see what i don't want is for innocent people to have to interact with law enforcers whatsoever.. but i suppose that's impossible? how would who was guilty be determined.. who'd investigate crimes and so on.. so i'm stuck.. those were my kinks :) i can't get round 'em..

so shades it is i suppose :(

roy's idea about the hackers is a cool one though!
signature
badger
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/15/2011 6:11:43 AM
there should be no controlled substances! that'd probably solve most of the problems i have with the cops.. besides counterfit money i suppose.. but the cop's shouldn't be allowed search you.. that's giving their word more worth than yours in a court of law.. which is bullsh1t! cops can't be corrupt?
signature