Jump to topic:

Bye-Bye Libertarians

charleslb
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/13/2011 9:56:18 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
A short while ago I received a craven crank phone call from a male who identified himself by saying: "This is the libertarian sect from Debate.org". He spoke in an intendedly and affectedly intimidating voice and proceeded in a vaguely threatening way to inform me that I'm not to post any more of my long threads at this site. He repeatedly addressed me by my name to not so subtly intimate to me that I no longer enjoy the safety of anonymity. And he concluded by ominously saying "Do we understand each other."

Apparently this individual is askbob (surprise, surprise he's a self-identified libertarian and member of the Libertarian Party). Well askbob, you crossed a serious line. You did not merely breach the etiquette and ethics of sites such as Debate.org, somehow you obtained what was supposed to be private personal information and took the action of making a tacitly threatening phone call. What's more, you've invited your fellow libertarians to persecute me off the site by posting my phone number. You've taken your opposition to my continued participation at this site out of the realm of mere words and into the realm of action. You should realize that although you enjoy an advantage, i.e. you know who I am but I don't know who you are, nevertheless the game you're playing isn't a safe one and you would be intelligent to cease and desist. You may actually have technically committed more than one crime, and the FBI, for example, does take internet crimes somewhat seriously. I'm not trying to be melodramatic, but what you're playing at is not just lighthearted fun, and can have legal consequences.

I certainly don't respect what askbob has done. Of course I have no idea if he acted alone or in collusion with other libertarians at this site, but he did identify himself as a representative of the libertarian clique here, and that clique has become pettily ad hominem, which I'm sure helped inspire and encourage him. Therefore shame on the lot of you. And precisely because I do not respect this individual's bit of dastardly direct action, because I don't respect anyone or any group that would resort to such a terror tactic, because I don't respect you-all enough to expend any more of my time or mental energy communicating with you, I'll give you your wish kiddies and cease from posting here (Matthew 7:6).

Yes, sometimes ill-behaved children and children in a twenty-something's body get their way, you may keep this site as the exclusive preserve of libertarians and those whom they don't find too annoying. You have not succeeded in cowing me into compliance, but you have succeeded. But at what cost to your integrity, by making a lie of your fine libertarian principles? And BTW, libertarians are not "legion", they're an ideological fringe of free-marketarian conservatism. Oh well, adieu Debate.org.
Yo, all of my subliterate conservative criticasters who find perusing and processing the sesquipedalian verbiage of my posts to be such a bothersome brain-taxing chore, I have a new nickname for you. Henceforth you shall be known as Pooh Bears. No, not for the obvious apt reasons, i.e., not because you're full of pooh, and not because of your ursine irritability. Rather, you put me in mind of an A.A. Milne quote, "I am a Bear of Very Little Brain, and long words bother me". Love ya, Pooh Bears.
charleslb
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/13/2011 10:13:22 PM
At 2/13/2011 10:07:43 PM, TheAtheistAllegiance wrote:
It was a prank call. I think the FBI has better things to deal with...like Terrorism..

It's harassment, and cowardly harassment at that. Why don't you address that, rather than what you consider to be the the weakest link in my post?
Yo, all of my subliterate conservative criticasters who find perusing and processing the sesquipedalian verbiage of my posts to be such a bothersome brain-taxing chore, I have a new nickname for you. Henceforth you shall be known as Pooh Bears. No, not for the obvious apt reasons, i.e., not because you're full of pooh, and not because of your ursine irritability. Rather, you put me in mind of an A.A. Milne quote, "I am a Bear of Very Little Brain, and long words bother me". Love ya, Pooh Bears.
tornshoe92
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/13/2011 10:14:08 PM
At 2/13/2011 9:56:18 PM, charleslb wrote:
A short while ago I received a craven crank phone call from a male who identified himself by saying: "This is the libertarian sect from Debate.org". He spoke in an intendedly and affectedly intimidating voice and proceeded in a vaguely threatening way to inform me that I'm not to post any more of my long threads at this site. He repeatedly addressed me by my name to not so subtly intimate to me that I no longer enjoy the safety of anonymity. And he concluded by ominously saying "Do we understand each other."

Apparently this individual is askbob (surprise, surprise he's a self-identified libertarian and member of the Libertarian Party). Well askbob, you crossed a serious line. You did not merely breach the etiquette and ethics of sites such as Debate.org, somehow you obtained what was supposed to be private personal information and took the action of making a tacitly threatening phone call. What's more, you've invited your fellow libertarians to persecute me off the site by posting my phone number. You've taken your opposition to my continued participation at this site out of the realm of mere words and into the realm of action. You should realize that although you enjoy an advantage, i.e. you know who I am but I don't know who you are, nevertheless the game you're playing isn't a safe one and you would be intelligent to cease and desist. You may actually have technically committed more than one crime, and the FBI, for example, does take internet crimes somewhat seriously. I'm not trying to be melodramatic, but what you're playing at is not just lighthearted fun, and can have legal consequences.

I certainly don't respect what askbob has done. Of course I have no idea if he acted alone or in collusion with other libertarians at this site, but he did identify himself as a representative of the libertarian clique here, and that clique has become pettily ad hominem, which I'm sure helped inspire and encourage him. Therefore shame on the lot of you. And precisely because I do not respect this individual's bit of dastardly direct action, because I don't respect anyone or any group that would resort to such a terror tactic, because I don't respect you-all enough to expend any more of my time or mental energy communicating with you, I'll give you your wish kiddies and cease from posting here (Matthew 7:6).

Yes, sometimes ill-behaved children and children in a twenty-something's body get their way, you may keep this site as the exclusive preserve of libertarians and those whom they don't find too annoying. You have not succeeded in cowing me into compliance, but you have succeeded. But at what cost to your integrity, by making a lie of your fine libertarian principles? And BTW, libertarians are not "legion", they're an ideological fringe of free-marketarian conservatism. Oh well, adieu Debate.org.

http://iruntheinternet.com...
"Next time I see a little old lady going to church I am going kick her in the ovaries because she is personally responsible for this. Thanks Izbo." -C_N
askbob
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/13/2011 10:23:30 PM
LOL @ this entire thread
Me -Phil left the site in my charge. I have a recorded phone conversation to prove it.
kohai -If you're the owner, then do something useful like ip block him and get us away from juggle and on a dofferent host!
Me -haha you apparently don't know my history
Kohai - Maybe not, but that doesn't matter! You shoukd still listen to your community and quit being a tyrrant!
Me - i was being completely sarcastic
Kohai - then u misrepresented yourself by impersonating the owner—a violation of the tos
tvellalott
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/13/2011 10:24:11 PM
At 2/13/2011 10:23:30 PM, askbob wrote:
LOL @ this entire thread

You're a very bad man. *tut tut*
"Caitlyn Jenner is an incredibly brave and stunningly beautiful woman."

Muh threads
Using mafia tactics in real-life: http://www.debate.org...
6 years of DDO: http://www.debate.org...
askbob
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/13/2011 10:27:49 PM
At 2/13/2011 9:56:18 PM, charleslb wrote:
vaguely threatening way to inform me that I'm not to post any more of my long threads at this site

You may actually have technically committed more than one crime, and the FBI, for example, does take internet crimes somewhat seriously.

These were the best lines in the entire post.
Me -Phil left the site in my charge. I have a recorded phone conversation to prove it.
kohai -If you're the owner, then do something useful like ip block him and get us away from juggle and on a dofferent host!
Kohai - Maybe not, but that doesn't matter! You shoukd still listen to your community and quit being a tyrrant!
Kohai - then u misrepresented yourself by impersonating the owner—a violation of the tos
badger
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/13/2011 10:28:44 PM
you don't feel one bit bad about yourself that you've just ran someone for a place that they obviously liked for no reason whatsoever, askbob?
signature
LaissezFaire
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/13/2011 10:30:13 PM
At 2/13/2011 10:28:44 PM, badger wrote:
you don't feel one bit bad about yourself that you've just ran someone for a place that they obviously liked for no reason whatsoever, askbob?
Should we subsidize education?
http://www.debate.org...

http://mises.org...

http://lewrockwell.com...

http://antiwar.com...

: At 6/22/2011 6:57:23 PM, el-badgero wrote:
: i didn't like [Obama]. he was the only black dude in moneygall yet he claimed to be home. obvious liar is obvious liar. i bet him and bin laden are bumfvcking right now.
askbob
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/13/2011 10:30:51 PM

I wouldn't call a clearly obvious prank phone call "running them off the site"
badger
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/13/2011 10:34:54 PM
At 2/13/2011 10:30:51 PM, askbob wrote:

but it's the reason he left? so why wouldn't you?
signature
TheAtheistAllegiance
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/13/2011 10:36:24 PM
At 2/13/2011 10:13:22 PM, charleslb wrote:
At 2/13/2011 10:07:43 PM, TheAtheistAllegiance wrote:
It was a prank call. I think the FBI has better things to deal with...like Terrorism..

It's harassment, and cowardly harassment at that. Why don't you address that, rather than what you consider to be the the weakest link in my post?

Okay, I'll admit that getting your private information is wrong. Also, if you like the site, you shouldn't leave. However, I think everything would go easier if you shortened up your posts and tried to get along with people a little better. That doesn't mean you have to agree with them, but try to see where they're coming from.

But yeah, my reply was pretty nonsensical, and it was a Red Herring in relation to the overall point you were making. Sorry about that.
badger
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/13/2011 10:37:43 PM
At 2/13/2011 10:35:29 PM, badger wrote:
i think you should phone that man and apologise lol..

and record it for us to hear :)
signature
askbob
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/13/2011 10:39:28 PM
At 2/13/2011 10:34:54 PM, badger wrote:
At 2/13/2011 10:30:51 PM, askbob wrote:

but it's the reason he left? so why wouldn't you?

It's not like I threatened him with anything. I said he "should stop posting long posts, it's upsetting the libertarian sect"

People were telling him this a million times and he continued to ignore it.

I'm personally not sorry to see him go. He always posted verbose garbage and then called everyone an idiot when they didn't read it. He also completely ignored my opinions on anything simply because I was a libertarian.
GeoLaureate8
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/13/2011 10:40:25 PM
charles does not deserve all this hostility and hate. I don't know what he's ever done wrong. Lengthy treatises on a debate site aren't hurting anyone nor are his hilariously, and cleverly disguised ad homs.
"We must raise the standard of the Old, free, decentralized, and strictly limited Republic."
-- Murray Rothbard

"The worst thing that can happen to a good cause is, not to be skillfully attacked, but to be ineptly defended."
-- Frederic Bastiat
askbob
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/13/2011 10:40:49 PM
At 2/13/2011 10:36:24 PM, TheAtheistAllegiance wrote:
Okay, I'll admit that getting your private information is wrong. Also, if you like the site, you shouldn't leave.

It wasn't private information. He posted his personal site multiple times on the forums. Every personal site has public registration information. It's public information.

When you post your personal site you're posting your registration information.
askbob
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/13/2011 10:46:25 PM
At 2/13/2011 10:44:30 PM, badger wrote:
you know you've done wrong askbob.. 'twas a funny wrong.. but a wrong nonetheless!

I can apologize and record if you feel it will help the situation
annhasle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/13/2011 10:49:01 PM
I would like to point out that when askbob said, "I'm going to prank call him for the lulz", none of you stepped up and said, "That's wrong". In fact, other users found it amusing.

askbob did not call him for the purpose of "running him off the site". He did not threaten him. And he surely did not break any laws by accessing public information and pulling a prank on charleslb. Charleslb decided to leave DDO of his own volition.

I do not understand the criticisms of askbob's actions.
I'm not back. This idiot just upset me which made me stop lurking.
badger
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/13/2011 10:49:17 PM
At 2/13/2011 10:46:25 PM, askbob wrote:
At 2/13/2011 10:44:30 PM, badger wrote:
you know you've done wrong askbob.. 'twas a funny wrong.. but a wrong nonetheless!

I can apologize and record if you feel it will help the situation

i do!
signature
badger
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/13/2011 10:50:37 PM
At 2/13/2011 10:49:01 PM, annhasle wrote:
I would like to point out that when askbob said, "I'm going to prank call him for the lulz", none of you stepped up and said, "That's wrong". In fact, other users found it amusing.

askbob did not call him for the purpose of "running him off the site". He did not threaten him. And he surely did not break any laws by accessing public information and pulling a prank on charleslb. Charleslb decided to leave DDO of his own volition.

shhhh... let him phone him and apologise first! maximize the lulz!
signature
belle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/13/2011 10:51:27 PM
At 2/13/2011 10:49:01 PM, annhasle wrote:

charles isn't worth that much effort :P
evidently i only come to ddo to avoid doing homework...
annhasle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/13/2011 10:53:24 PM
At 2/13/2011 10:52:01 PM, belle wrote:
not to mention it makes askbob look like a tool

Did you hear the audio link askbob posted?
I'm not back. This idiot just upset me which made me stop lurking.
Ragnar_Rahl
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/13/2011 10:56:15 PM
by making a lie of your fine libertarian principles
If bob had ACTUALLY threatened you, rather than "tacitly," there would be a problem. If he had trespassed on your property, there would be a problem. But what did he do? He called you on your phone.

Which is a device people purchase so they can be called..

He did this, ahem, once, so you can't even argue harassment, even if you can articulate a libertarian rationale against harassment.

Granted, the gov't isn't libertarian, but as for the notion of it doing something about this--

Lemme guess, it's gonna backtrace him, and the consequences are never gonna be the same right?

Certainly, Askbob is an asshat. But some people are.
It came to be at its height. It was commanded to command. It was a capital before its first stone was laid. It was a monument to the spirit of man.