Total Posts:138|Showing Posts:1-30|Last Page
Jump to topic:

Practicality of Anarcho-Capitalism

CosmicAlfonzo
Posts: 5,955
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/16/2011 9:45:30 AM
Posted: 5 years ago
I can't wrap my head around it. How is it practical or stable?

How do you prevent the rising up of states?

How do you enforce it?

How is it any better than having a state?

What makes it any different than any period in history where the state was overthrown, and a new state eventually rose up?

These are honest questions, and if you can't see how it looks ridiculous from an outside perspective, you probably aren't thinking about it very deeply.

Please aide me in being able to take this way of doing things even remotely seriously.
Official "High Priest of Secular Affairs and Transient Distributor of Sonic Apple Seeds relating to the Reptilian Division of Paperwork Immoliation" of The FREEDO Bureaucracy, a DDO branch of the Erisian Front, a subdivision of the Discordian Back, a Limb of the Illuminatian Cosmic Utensil Corp
badger
Posts: 11,793
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/16/2011 10:02:33 AM
Posted: 5 years ago
this is the thing about privatising everything and having no regulations, isn't it? i could see something like that ending up in some sort of dictatorship... what's to stop almost all the world's wealth pooling in one place? that'd hardly be a good thing...?
signature
badger
Posts: 11,793
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/16/2011 10:05:40 AM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 2/16/2011 10:02:33 AM, badger wrote:
this is the thing about privatising everything and having no regulations, isn't it? i could see something like that ending up in some sort of dictatorship... what's to stop almost all the world's wealth pooling in one place? that'd hardly be a good thing...?

is this ridiculous?
signature
badger
Posts: 11,793
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/16/2011 10:10:58 AM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 2/16/2011 10:05:40 AM, badger wrote:
At 2/16/2011 10:02:33 AM, badger wrote:
this is the thing about privatising everything and having no regulations, isn't it? i could see something like that ending up in some sort of dictatorship... what's to stop almost all the world's wealth pooling in one place? that'd hardly be a good thing...?

is this ridiculous?

yes?
signature
CosmicAlfonzo
Posts: 5,955
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/16/2011 10:14:45 AM
Posted: 5 years ago
It isn't ridiculous at all.
Official "High Priest of Secular Affairs and Transient Distributor of Sonic Apple Seeds relating to the Reptilian Division of Paperwork Immoliation" of The FREEDO Bureaucracy, a DDO branch of the Erisian Front, a subdivision of the Discordian Back, a Limb of the Illuminatian Cosmic Utensil Corp
CosmicAlfonzo
Posts: 5,955
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/16/2011 10:33:36 AM
Posted: 5 years ago
Course, without regulations on violence, there would probably be a lot more corporate warfare going on.

...Which could possibly lead to states forming.

>.>

<.<
Official "High Priest of Secular Affairs and Transient Distributor of Sonic Apple Seeds relating to the Reptilian Division of Paperwork Immoliation" of The FREEDO Bureaucracy, a DDO branch of the Erisian Front, a subdivision of the Discordian Back, a Limb of the Illuminatian Cosmic Utensil Corp
darkkermit
Posts: 11,204
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/16/2011 12:11:59 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 2/16/2011 10:33:36 AM, CosmicAlfonzo wrote:
Course, without regulations on violence, there would probably be a lot more corporate warfare going on.

...Which could possibly lead to states forming.

>.>

<.<

It's really not so much of corporate warfare that would worry me, but corporate mergers.

Think about it firm A and B are competing private military/police firms. Firm A and B decide to merge and use their 'security' to act as an aggressive dictatorship.

There's no way anarchy can be stable, otherwise it would have been done already.

Sure, government is inefficient, and corrupt. However, as churchill stated:
""It has been said that democracy is the worst form of government except all the others that have been tried."
Open borders debate:
http://www.debate.org...
Caramel
Posts: 855
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/16/2011 2:22:41 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 2/16/2011 10:02:33 AM, badger wrote:
this is the thing about privatising everything and having no regulations, isn't it? i could see something like that ending up in some sort of dictatorship... what's to stop almost all the world's wealth pooling in one place? that'd hardly be a good thing...?

Badger ends anarcho-capitalism on DDO.
no comment
CosmicAlfonzo
Posts: 5,955
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/16/2011 6:42:24 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
Well, really, you guys are just terrible at defending it.

Then again, I could just be bad at catching that the supporters of it are just joking.

*Shrugs*

Usually when people believe in a concept, they are eager to convince.
Official "High Priest of Secular Affairs and Transient Distributor of Sonic Apple Seeds relating to the Reptilian Division of Paperwork Immoliation" of The FREEDO Bureaucracy, a DDO branch of the Erisian Front, a subdivision of the Discordian Back, a Limb of the Illuminatian Cosmic Utensil Corp
Sieben
Posts: 2,736
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/16/2011 6:46:36 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
Its because you have no starting point for your social logic. Just an emphatic assertion that it "won't work". How are we supposed to convince you when you don't have any concept of political philosophy?
Things that are so interesting:

http://www.debate.org...
http://www.debate.org...
annhasle
Posts: 6,657
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/16/2011 6:49:52 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 2/16/2011 6:46:36 PM, Sieben wrote:
Its because you have no starting point for your social logic. Just an emphatic assertion that it "won't work". How are we supposed to convince you when you don't have any concept of political philosophy?

This, this, THIS.
I'm not back. This idiot just upset me which made me stop lurking.
CosmicAlfonzo
Posts: 5,955
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/16/2011 6:56:18 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
That sounds suspiciously like pretentious bullsh!t to me.

How about you explain it.

Even I can explain musical theory concepts to someone who is completely ignorant of music theory.. and I mean completely ignorant. If you can't do the same, I doubt you even understand what it is you are talking about.

Now prove me wrong, because I am interested.

No cop outs, make your case.
Official "High Priest of Secular Affairs and Transient Distributor of Sonic Apple Seeds relating to the Reptilian Division of Paperwork Immoliation" of The FREEDO Bureaucracy, a DDO branch of the Erisian Front, a subdivision of the Discordian Back, a Limb of the Illuminatian Cosmic Utensil Corp
Sieben
Posts: 2,736
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/16/2011 9:59:12 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
Why should I spend my time painstakingly constructing anarcho capitalism for you when all you've done is throw assertionism our way? Even my critics will admit that there is some relevance and coherence to many of the things I have written in recent threads about anarcho capitalism. I assume you can read, and have merely chosen to ignore them.

But if you don't want to read me, you can read roderick long http://www.lewrockwell.com... or bryan caplan http://econfaculty.gmu.edu...
Things that are so interesting:

http://www.debate.org...
http://www.debate.org...
CosmicAlfonzo
Posts: 5,955
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/17/2011 1:56:42 AM
Posted: 5 years ago
Just reading that first link..

Still not convinced that states aren't likely to spawn out of the system.

I think that you guys REALLY underestimates the human tendency to fvck everything up, and how persistent we tend to be at it.

You may think that I am making baseless assertions, but I think the whole anarcho-capitalist position is based off of baseless assertions that go against both common sense and the patterns of history.

I agree that the state is a problem, but I don't see a feasible way to avoid it.. I also don't see how we could ever get to anarcho-capitalism to begin with..

State enforced anarchy, how about that?

This anarchy business is too confusing to me. I feel like I'm swimming in a sea of semantics.

I'm just being honest. Government is just too complicated and confusing for me to wrap my head around. I have the same problem with any form of government.. They all seem so hopelessly flawed.. Yet at the same time, I can't really come up with something truly better.

I doubt anyone honestly can wrap their head around this stuff. There are way too many variables.

I'm pretty sure this is a problem beyond human ability to solve. Techno Allah will have to do it, and even then, it'll probably take a few tries. >.>
Official "High Priest of Secular Affairs and Transient Distributor of Sonic Apple Seeds relating to the Reptilian Division of Paperwork Immoliation" of The FREEDO Bureaucracy, a DDO branch of the Erisian Front, a subdivision of the Discordian Back, a Limb of the Illuminatian Cosmic Utensil Corp
J.Kenyon
Posts: 4,194
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/17/2011 2:19:58 AM
Posted: 5 years ago
Basically, your whole argument comes down to 'it won't work because I said so' and 'if it were possible it would have been done already' (lol). If you have any specific objections, ask away. But what you've said so far sounds suspiciously like trolling.

If you were serious about this, you wouldn't be asking inane questions on the forums. It's not hard to find stuff. Pretty much everything ever written on anarcho-capitalism is available online for free at the Mises Institute. Try 'For a New Liberty' by Murray Rothbard.
CosmicAlfonzo
Posts: 5,955
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/17/2011 2:23:12 AM
Posted: 5 years ago
Are you serious? >.>
Official "High Priest of Secular Affairs and Transient Distributor of Sonic Apple Seeds relating to the Reptilian Division of Paperwork Immoliation" of The FREEDO Bureaucracy, a DDO branch of the Erisian Front, a subdivision of the Discordian Back, a Limb of the Illuminatian Cosmic Utensil Corp
CosmicAlfonzo
Posts: 5,955
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/17/2011 2:43:48 AM
Posted: 5 years ago
Then quit assuming I am. Also, if you think that my argument is "Anarcho-Capitalism won't work because I said so", you are a complete d!pshit, and it says a lot about the type of mindset required to have that kind of confidence in this system.

I think I'm done with this topic. It's going nowhere, and the amount of unsubstantiated arrogance is making my head spin.

I think that pretty much puts the nail in the coffin concerning my interest in government.
Official "High Priest of Secular Affairs and Transient Distributor of Sonic Apple Seeds relating to the Reptilian Division of Paperwork Immoliation" of The FREEDO Bureaucracy, a DDO branch of the Erisian Front, a subdivision of the Discordian Back, a Limb of the Illuminatian Cosmic Utensil Corp
Thaddeus
Posts: 6,985
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/17/2011 5:22:05 AM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 2/16/2011 6:56:18 PM, CosmicAlfonzo wrote:
That sounds suspiciously like pretentious bullsh!t to me.

How about you explain it.


Even I can explain musical theory concepts to someone who is completely ignorant of music theory.. and I mean completely ignorant. If you can't do the same, I doubt you even understand what it is you are talking about.

Now prove me wrong, because I am interested.

No cop outs, make your case.
To be fair to my (admittedly limited) knowledge of your behaviour on this site you are incapable of explaining anything clearly but rather stating alot

That sounds suspiciously like pretentious bullsh!t to me.

and then if anyone calls you on it you say they apparently
At 2/13/2011 3:43:36 PM, CosmicAlfonzo wrote:
have no idea what I'm talking about.
CosmicAlfonzo
Posts: 5,955
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/17/2011 11:21:10 AM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 2/17/2011 5:22:05 AM, Thaddeus wrote:
At 2/16/2011 6:56:18 PM, CosmicAlfonzo wrote:
That sounds suspiciously like pretentious bullsh!t to me.

How about you explain it.


Even I can explain musical theory concepts to someone who is completely ignorant of music theory.. and I mean completely ignorant. If you can't do the same, I doubt you even understand what it is you are talking about.

Now prove me wrong, because I am interested.

No cop outs, make your case.
To be fair to my (admittedly limited) knowledge of your behaviour on this site you are incapable of explaining anything clearly but rather stating alot

That sounds suspiciously like pretentious bullsh!t to me.

and then if anyone calls you on it you say they apparently
At 2/13/2011 3:43:36 PM, CosmicAlfonzo wrote:
have no idea what I'm talking about.

It depends on what I'm talking about, and it also depends on the reading comprehension of the person I'm talking to.

Sometimes, I think it is fairly obvious that the other person has no idea what I am talking about if you take my quote and put it side by side with their response. I don't need to prove my point in that case, they do an ample job of doing it for me.

I usually explain more clearly when asked, but if the person I'm talking to is just going to be a dickbag about it, why bother? They obviously are very poor at communicating to begin with, and aren't interested in having mutual understanding... Something which is necessary in discussions of any type.

Also, most everything I say can be taken as opinion, and if I'm wrong, I'm eager to be proven wrong. There are very few things I believe strongly in.
Official "High Priest of Secular Affairs and Transient Distributor of Sonic Apple Seeds relating to the Reptilian Division of Paperwork Immoliation" of The FREEDO Bureaucracy, a DDO branch of the Erisian Front, a subdivision of the Discordian Back, a Limb of the Illuminatian Cosmic Utensil Corp
annhasle
Posts: 6,657
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/17/2011 11:31:15 AM
Posted: 5 years ago
Cosmic,

I've already invited you to debate anarcho-capitalism and you declined. I tried explaining key features and you couldn't wrap your head around it and instead repeated either a) "It can't work. States will form!" or b) an insult aimed at anarchists. If you seriously want to know, read about it. If you have specific questions (instead of asking us to explain our ENTIRE philosophy), then ask away. But starting a thread saying, "It can't work. Prove me wrong" is just asinine. You'll notice that most threads focus on key elements of a political philosophy to keep the conversation on-topic
I'm not back. This idiot just upset me which made me stop lurking.
CosmicAlfonzo
Posts: 5,955
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/17/2011 11:45:42 AM
Posted: 5 years ago
I'm not interested in debating it.

I've read enough about it.

I stand my assertions which are backed up by human history and psychology that any idealistic way of running things will crumble, especially if run by humans.

I do not want to debate on it, because I am not willing to spend the time and effort necessary to thoroughly destroy my opponent's position.

I am not interested enough in government. The only reason I was even remotely interested in anarchy to begin with is because I consider myself an anarchist at heart.. However, I am not convinced of it.

I don't think living in an an-cap world would be all that much different than living in today's world.
Official "High Priest of Secular Affairs and Transient Distributor of Sonic Apple Seeds relating to the Reptilian Division of Paperwork Immoliation" of The FREEDO Bureaucracy, a DDO branch of the Erisian Front, a subdivision of the Discordian Back, a Limb of the Illuminatian Cosmic Utensil Corp
CosmicAlfonzo
Posts: 5,955
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/17/2011 11:46:16 AM
Posted: 5 years ago
So yeah, basically, I'm done talking about it.
Official "High Priest of Secular Affairs and Transient Distributor of Sonic Apple Seeds relating to the Reptilian Division of Paperwork Immoliation" of The FREEDO Bureaucracy, a DDO branch of the Erisian Front, a subdivision of the Discordian Back, a Limb of the Illuminatian Cosmic Utensil Corp
Sieben
Posts: 2,736
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/17/2011 12:35:27 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 2/17/2011 11:46:16 AM, CosmicAlfonzo wrote:
So yeah, basically, I'm done talking about it.

Please go back to debating religious zealots. When you're bored shooting fish in a barrel please come back after completing the recommended reading.
Things that are so interesting:

http://www.debate.org...
http://www.debate.org...
J.Kenyon
Posts: 4,194
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/17/2011 4:04:46 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 2/17/2011 11:45:42 AM, CosmicAlfonzo wrote:
I'm not interested in debating it.

But you're interested in asking questions about it?

I've read enough about it.

Name one book you've read.

I stand my assertions which are backed up by human history and psychology that any idealistic way of running things will crumble, especially if run by humans.

Anarcho-capitalism isn't utopian; it doesn't predict 'this is how stuff will happen. Everything will be perfect.' It's basically the hypothesis that state planning generally fails and a society centered on negative rights would tend to find more efficient ways of handling things.

I do not want to debate on it, because I am not willing to spend the time and effort necessary to thoroughly destroy my opponent's position.

Translation: the thought of debating J.Kenyon makes me wet my pants.

I am not interested enough in government. The only reason I was even remotely interested in anarchy to begin with is because I consider myself an anarchist at heart.. However, I am not convinced of it.

I was interested in it before I wasn't interested it. I dunno. I'm high. Everything's a cosmic joke, herp derp.